• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017
Aww yeah. Now the thread can breath without us spamming it.

I really wonder when Amazon UK will get stock of the new models.

They must have a metric ton of older models with the £30 eshop vouchers in them

For what it's worth I spoke to their CS yesterday and they had no idea.

I suspect stock is arriving in two waves - some got it on 22/23rd August and based on other listings it appears other retailers are going to get it the 28th.

Im assuming it should be mostly everywhere by the end of the next week

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Aww yeah. Now the thread can breath without us spamming it.

For what it's worth I spoke to their CS yesterday and they had no idea.

I suspect stock is arriving in two waves - some got it on 22/23rd August and based on other listings it appears other retailers are going to get it the 28th.

Im assuming it should be mostly everywhere by the end of the next week
Thanks for the heads up!

If I go to town today to a GAME is there likely to be some in stock? I live near Manchester
Yes they have them in stock, check the GAME site (they have more neon stock than grey).

Whereabouts do you live in Manchester? Nice to see a fellow Manc haha

Oathkeeper

Apr 1, 2018
Ok, I've been lurking this thread to hopefully make a decision, but the mixed feedback just makes me more confused!! So I'm hoping I can get a clearer answer if I ask directly.

Basically, I've never owned a Switch and now I want to buy one, but I have no idea if I should get the old or new one. Where I live, the old Switch with a game would be 366 USD, whereas the new one with a game would be 416 USD.

The reason I'm hesitant is because I know I'd be playing docked 90% of the time, so the longer battery life wouldn't benefit me much. BUT then I saw some people saying the screen/joycons are better in the new Switch, but then I saw others saying it's pretty much up to luck regardless of which Switch model you get.

So I guess my question is: are there any benefits to getting the new Switch for someone like me, or should I just save money and get the old model since the new Switch is unfortunately higher priced than the old one? Please help me and thanks in advance!!!

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Ok, I've been lurking this thread to hopefully make a decision, but the mixed feedback just makes me more confused!! So I'm hoping I can get a clearer answer if I ask directly.

Basically, I've never owned a Switch and now I want to buy one, but I have no idea if I should get the old or new one. Where I live, the old Switch with a game would be 366 USD, whereas the new one with a game would be 416 USD.

The reason I'm hesitant is because I know I'd be playing docked 90% of the time, so the longer battery life wouldn't benefit me much. BUT then I saw some people saying the screen/joycons are better in the new Switch, but then I saw others saying it's pretty much up to luck regardless of which Switch model you get.

So I guess my question is: are there any benefits to getting the new Switch for someone like me, or should I just save money and get the old model since the new Switch is unfortunately higher priced than the old one? Please help me and thanks in advance!!!

Get the new revised model. No doubt.

The gains in battery life are massive. And some games don't last long in Handheld mode at all (on the OG version). Like Fire Emblem.

Plus, the build quality is supposedly better on the new model.

Watch the DF video on the new model.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018

The difference is "only" one game.
Resale value of the new one will be better, hence even less difference. Furthermore the new one will stay cooler which makes the system more robust.

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017
Switch has arrived!

Immediate impressions :

- hey new Switch
-screen is warmer than my old one, which I prefer as my launch unit was too cold in colour temperature
-there's no wobble flex when the joycons are attached to the switch (my old one had it bad)
-fuck business grey
- I can see what the other posters mean about the back support, but could probs be just placebo

I imagine some of these changes have been implemented over the last two years and not just with it. Im just happy that I don't have that left joycon wobble anymore.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Shopto order for Switch Neon has arrived :) I got a copy of Starlink also for free WTF lol? Thanks for that

Will setup later and test out the screen, and report back on brightness and quality etc

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Hello old Switch owner that have acquired a new Switch,
Are we obligated to do the system transfer with the two Switches if we are a Nintendo Switch Online subscriber? I thought Big N finally understood the cloud.
Thank you for your upcoming answers!

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
-there's no wobble flex when the joycons are attached to the switch (my old one had it bad)

This seems to vary on a system by system basis. Probably also partially dependent on your controller. When I had my (old) Switch replaced, the new one had was a more tighter fit.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And I got my new switch! Traded in my old one for 175 and had s few old games lying around, including an old rock band guitar/game combo which I got £30 for which was nuts. So all in all I paid £55. Worth it.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
Traded my old Switch in for £185 at Game with a few other titles, got Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 with it for £300 so ended up paying about £80 once i'd traded everything which is pretty good.

New dock, new unit, better battery, also got Mario Maker and Super Mario Bros U in the buy one get one half price from Amazon so plenty to play on my Switch...

Deleted member 49166

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
All in all my update was 15€ since I sold a hackable odyssey Switch for a good deal. Need to buy the Mario red Joy Con again that will add 20€ on top, but still new warranty, new Joy Con etc I think it's worth it.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Was waiting for the Switch Lite, but I opted for the newer Switch model instead. Grabbed it yesterday along with Botw. Wish I did not have to work today lol.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I picked one up just because lol. Target sent me a letter saying my card would be canceled since I hadn't used it in 14 months. So, I strolled over to target and grabbed one.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Do GAME not ship on Saturday's? Mine is still unshipped. It'll be Wednesday most likely with the bank holiday :(

trunx81

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
Just came back from a German Saturn store in Munich. The online shop market the new version as available. But nope, the new switch isn't available at all in all Saturn shops all over Munich. "Maybe next week. And the online app is flawed, sometimes showing stock when there isn't one". Damn I should have bought yesterday when the switch was 309€ at Amazon. Now it's back to 329 :( Waiting is hell ;)

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Just came back from a German Saturn store in Munich. The online shop market the new version as available. But nope, the new switch isn't available at all in all Saturn shops all over Munich. "Maybe next week. And the online app is flawed, sometimes showing stock when there isn't one". Damn I should have bought yesterday when the switch was 309€ at Amazon. Now it's back to 329 :( Waiting is hell ;)
Could also be that they do have it in stock but want to sell any old stock first if they have any

trunx81

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
Could also be that they do have it in stock but want to sell any old stock first if they have any
Maybe, but they even checked the stock on their computer. Got a quick look and it's currently only possible to order online with free delivery to the store. He told me that they'll probably get it in the next batch coming week

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
The improved battery life is really impressive. With the old one, you were at half battery really fast after playing for a bit. Now, the battery is draining much slower. It makes the handheld experience feel much more feasible. Combined with the improved display calibration, this makes for an signifcant upgrade that makes the device feel considerably improved. Also, my JoyCons are less wobbly than before. It cost me 100 Euro to upgrade, but it feels worth it to me.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
found this on thier website

• Orders placed after 7pm Friday to 1pm Sunday will be dispatched Sunday

so maybe will be dispatched either tonight or tomorrow?

Fingers crossed, it seems likely I'll get it on Tuesday I would imagine. So far I managed to pick up a copy of Mario Rabbids Kingdom Battle for £14 delivered on eBay which I was quite happy with. And the bundle comes with Super Mario Bros Deluxe so that's two games off the list. I still want to pick up Bayonetta 2, Mario Maker 2, Breath of the Wild and potentially Mario Odyssey and Yoshi's Crafted World but everything is getting a bit expensive lol, so might have to wait a bit unless I can find some good deals.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just catching up on this thread now. Is the display improved across the board? The only thing stopping me from upgrading is the fact that I have a launch unit with a great screen.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Just catching up on this thread now. Is the display improved across the board? The only thing stopping me from upgrading is the fact that I have a launch unit with a great screen.
I wouldn't say that. My launch unit is brighter and the new one I got has scanlines when there's motion. Seems like screen lottery in full effect. The first new one which I returned was even dimmer and also more green.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't say that. My launch unit is brighter and the new one I got has scanlines when there's motion. Seems like screen lottery in full effect. The first new one which I returned was even dimmer and also more green.
I'll just stick to my current unit for now then. I'm pretty happy with it generally.

zen1990x

Jul 1, 2019
Fingers crossed, it seems likely I'll get it on Tuesday I would imagine. So far I managed to pick up a copy of Mario Rabbids Kingdom Battle for £14 delivered on eBay which I was quite happy with. And the bundle comes with Super Mario Bros Deluxe so that's two games off the list. I still want to pick up Bayonetta 2, Mario Maker 2, Breath of the Wild and potentially Mario Odyssey and Yoshi's Crafted World but everything is getting a bit expensive lol, so might have to wait a bit unless I can find some good deals.
There is a deal on at the moment for most 1st party switch games including mario maker 2 and mario odyssey. Buy one get one half price. GAME and amazon are doing it. Ends on monday.

Nov 8, 2017
Got my Switch yesterday and played a bit of Cuphead, amazing game so far!

Also played some Voez; feels weird going from an 18" tablet to a tiny 6" screen, but at least the Switch touchscreen works better, and I don't have to pay to unlock songs... and I can actually play it offline!

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
There is a deal on at the moment for most 1st party switch games including mario maker 2 and mario odyssey. Buy one get one half price. GAME and amazon are doing it. Ends on monday.

Yeah, I noticed those, but they're so expensive to begin with, £75 for 2 games after discount just seems way too much to me. I could only get the deal working on Argos and GAME, Amazon now shows 15% off but nothing is discounted at the checkout, so I guess they've stopped doing it. I'm going to have to stick with buying used off eBay I think.

ButtIchesMan

Banned
Aug 6, 2019
Ill be jumping in and getting a switch. As a new owner who travels a lot for work is there anything else I should get besides the console and games? Thx in advance

Deleted member 49166

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Ill be jumping in and getting a switch. As a new owner who travels a lot for work is there anything else I should get besides the console and games? Thx in advance
Screen protector and a case. I use the basic one from Amazon, built like a tank (ABS) but can't hold anything else. I always travel with a backpack and the extra protection is great, I always felt the nylon hard cases are bending. If you also want to play an a hotel TV then I also would buy a jumpgate (the Core Adapter essentially) and a SF30 Pro from 8BitDo.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Guess I got lucky. My replacement Switch has no screen issues, I now have two pairs of joy cons, and the battery life is such a tremendous improvement that it is hard to put in words.

Can play FE for long bouts without being tethered to a wall or a backup battery in my backpack. Great for plane rides

zen1990x

Jul 1, 2019
Yeah, I noticed those, but they're so expensive to begin with, £75 for 2 games after discount just seems way too much to me. I could only get the deal working on Argos and GAME, Amazon now shows 15% off but nothing is discounted at the checkout, so I guess they've stopped doing it. I'm going to have to stick with buying used off eBay I think.
its why i don't buy anything from GAME apart from Consoles. Thier RRP on games is ridiculous.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
GAME dispatched my console today, with bank holiday I'll get it Tuesday. I also got my case from Amazon, but they sent me completely the wrong item?

What I ordered:

YQaqw3S.jpg

What I got:

qpXrMzo.jpg

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
I went to EB games, traded the old Switch + Pro controller and got the new Swith for $92 (CAD). I wasn't expecting the trade in value to be that much, actually.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Civ 6 is making me want to upgrade. Damn that game is a time suck. It's like what the fuck how did I just burn 4 hours.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
GAME dispatched my console today, with bank holiday I'll get it Tuesday. I also got my case from Amazon, but they sent me completely the wrong item?

What I ordered:

YQaqw3S.jpg

What I got:

qpXrMzo.jpg
Neo Hybrid ruggedized protective case sounds kind of bad ass tbqh.

DId you buy from a 3rd party seller on Amazon? Anyway, send this photo+ask for a refund and send it back

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Neo Hybrid ruggedized protective case sounds kind of bad ass tbqh.

DId you buy from a 3rd party seller on Amazon? Anyway, send this photo+ask for a refund and send it back

Amazon have a new automated chat thing, so it's already packed and ready to be picked up on Tuesday. I ended up ordering a different case and separate screen protector.

Beary Jams

Nov 5, 2017
Portland, OR
Hello old Switch owner that have acquired a new Switch,
Are we obligated to do the system transfer with the two Switches if we are a Nintendo Switch Online subscriber? I thought Big N finally understood the cloud.
Thank you for your upcoming answers!

My understanding is that SOME of the games support cloud saves. Games like Pokémon Let's Go don't and I know there are a few other. Might need to look it up on a game by game basis.

trunx81

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
Checked all GameStop stores around me and found exactly one with the new Switch available - 10 minutes drive from work. Finally, I'm a proud new Switch owner (please hand me the gif). Display seems fine, no dead pixels <3