Mar 29, 2022

View: https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1550270970799108097

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRKIWQUucj0

BLOG POST

blog.playstation.com

How Naughty Dog rebuilt The Last of Us Part I

Naughty Dog walks through visual and gameplay-related improvements in a new Features Video.

While the Last of Us Part I can render Native 4K at targeted 30 FPS or dynamic 4K at targeted 60 FPS*, and features PS5 mainstays like DualSense wireless controller haptics, trigger effects, and 3D audio**, it's clear that there's a lot more going on here than a simple resolution and framerate bump, it's a complete overhaul.

From the art direction to the character models, the entire game has been rebuilt from the ground up to take advantage of a new generation of graphical capability, allowing this game to reach the visual fidelity that the studio aspired for when crafting this experience. The PS5's powerful hardware drives a host of visual benefits, from denser physics with tons of bumpables and chipables (bullets can now rip apart concrete and environmental objects) and cinematics now transition seamlessly to gameplay. Motion matching technology means that character animations flow more convincingly, intuitively and realistically; all adding another layer of believability to characters and their interactions with the world. Further, AI upgrades mean that characters inhabit the world in a more authentic and realistic way, such as buddy characters navigating cover to avoid enemy NPC sightlines more authentically.

The enhancements are all in the name of increasing the game's immersion, but the improvements don't stop there. Naughty Dog worked with their community to integrate some fan requests, including a "permadeath" mode, a speedrun-focused mode, and a host of brand-new unlockable costumes for Joel and Ellie. The game also hosts 60-plus accessibility options, outpacing what the developer was able to offer with The Last of Us Part II, and includes a new Audio Description mode, ensuring that play is rewarding and inclusive for all.

The Last of Us Part I launches on PlayStation 5

Last edited:

JAY_HORROR

Sep 27, 2021
Thanks arne sorry that it had to leak like this and the terrible discourse that was driver from it but know that we support you guys <3

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
This is why leaks are so damaging damn. That thread was jumping way too quickly to conclusions. I'm personally not interested in picking up the game for the third time but these changes look great.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
well-there-it-is.gif

Kratos2098

Feb 18, 2022
Sucks that someone had to go leak stuff for clout instead of letting the devs talk when they were ready

Oct 28, 2017
Who knew low resolution, extremely compressed footage of an early build of a game looked bad??????????

Almost no one said it looked bad. People were (rightly) disappointed that gameplay elements from part II were not integrated into a rehaul of the gameplay for part I. It's a perfectly valid reason to be disappointed.

The defense force should fall back. To each their own. It's cool that you're into this game and are excited. It's also cool to be disappointed. Fin

rude

Oct 25, 2017
To me, they did enough to make this worth a purchase. Overhaul to controls/AI alone already makes this shit on the original. Can't wait for the PC release.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Looks good, the accessibility features are amazing, but damn, the implications from the (admittedly vague) marketing speak early on really gave me the impressions we'd see dodge/prone/grass stealth. Nothing here really speaks like the gameplay is "modernized" or "rebuilt" when it doesn't have a single new mechanic. Bummer. Doesn't really shift the needle for me compared to the leaks.

ResetSoul

Banned
Jul 29, 2021
I feel like the expectation was set that this would bring the first game's combat design and toolbox up to the level of Part II, and all I'm really seeing is a lot of AI and animation improvements, like a remaster of a remaster.

There are no major mechanical changes to the game.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
audio description is a really neat accessibility feature that i'd love to play the game with turned on, even tho i don't necessarily 'need it'

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Almost no one said it looked bad. People were (rightly) disappointed that gameplay elements from part II were not integrated into a rehaul of the gameplay for part I. It's a perfectly valid reason to be disappointed.

The defense force should fall back. To each their own. It's cool that you're into this game and are excited. It's also cool to be disappointed. Fin
I mean the lack of dodge/prone is a bit underwhelming but in the context of the game, playing as a relatively non-athletic older man, of course Joel wouldn't be nearly as agile as Ellie in Part II. This is very much a justifiable remake imo, and I was skeptical after seeing the leaks!!

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
"But it's just a cash grab" "It looks the same"

Blah blah blah blah

It looks fucking gorgeous

ug7UgHI.jpg

g0YQ67h.jpg

Jun 6, 2020
I'm really not a big fan of game trailers that are clearly just marketing for the new hardware

"Oh my god the power of the playstation 5 is so incredible!! Go out and buy one your life will change"

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't watch the video. Everyone laughing at people from last thread. So how does the gameplay look on a scale of no changes at all to TLOU II?

Vidpixel

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, some of the comments in the previous thread were wild. There's a difference between having concerns and straight-up attacking the devs.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they saw those comments and said "nah fuck that bullshit, we been in the field working."