• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I have a X, which is the same size the new base 12.

I think it's not really about the squared edges rather the size. The 12 is a lot smaller than the 11 which makes it a lot more comfortable. Also there is the Mini which is even smaller than the 7.

It's worth taking a look at the Mini and tha base 12. While I understand that the LCD is no biggie for you but it's definitely a huge upgrade nonetheless and the size difference is night and day even when compared to the base 12.

The 12 is slightly bigger than the X

hrWzoxj.jpg

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
iPad's smart connector has physical metal contact points though. MagSafe is inductive through blocking layer(s) of materials.
We're talking about the portless iPhone, not the current iPhone. Obviously there's no smart connector on this iPhone, but since you got the port, that won't matter for this particular scenario.

It will make the current iPhone 12 incompatible with possible future accessoires that would combine MagSafe with a smart connector.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The 12 is slightly bigger than the X

hrWzoxj.jpg

The difference is thankfully small and the 12 is lighter. I've tried out the xr and 11 and it's too big and heavy for its screen size. The 12 is noticeably smaller and 30g lighter. To the poster that's not loving the size of the 11 I would recommend giving the 12 a shot, if that also doesn't work then the 12 mini is the way to go.

Kinan

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everything fine so far after few days of use. Switch from Android went a lot smoother than I expected, all programs I normally use were also available on IOS and even my trusty Samsung Gear S2 watch works perfectly well with iPhone, even better than with Honor 10 before.

Battery life of 12Pro is just like tests shown, around 6 hours of screen time, so it is a solid 1-day phone, but no chance for 2 days.

But in overall pretty satisfied so far, using the phone naked with a sleeve, blue looks and feels excellent. Sleeve also cleans the fingerprints very effectively, so the phone looks pristine every time when I pull it out. Still there is this unsafe feeling that you know that if you drop it down, nothing protects it, so I may change to a case later on, when enough choice is there.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Everything fine so far after few days of use. Switch from Android went a lot smoother than I expected, all programs I normally use were also available on IOS and even my trusty Samsung Gear S2 watch works perfectly well with iPhone, even better than with Honor 10 before.

Battery life of 12Pro is just like tests shown, around 6 hours of screen time, so it is a solid 1-day phone, but no chance for 2 days.

But in overall pretty satisfied so far, using the phone naked with a sleeve, blue looks and feels excellent. Sleeve also cleans the fingerprints very effectively, so the phone looks pristine every time when I pull it out. Still there is this unsafe feeling that you know that if you drop it down, nothing protects it, so I may change to a case later on, when enough choice is there.

hmm I never thought about a sleeve

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
I ended up upgrading from a 7 to an 11 instead of a 12, saving $6-$7 a month. I'm finding the 11 a bit uncomfortable to hold (i.e. too big and heavy)--anyone have long term experience with the 11 and upgraded to a 12? Does the 12 feel easier to hold and would you say it's worth it to spend more if that's all I care about (I'm fine with the screen, speed, and cameras of the 11)?

I would have liked to wait for the mini but my 7 literally stopped taking calls, so I needed a phone asap.
You really should return the 11 and get a 12 mini. Not sure how you bought the 11 but holiday return periods are active. The 12 is a lot better than the 11 and much closer to the pro lineup. In addition, with your use case of wanting a more comfortable phone, the 12 Mini ticks all the boxes and will last you longer than the 11 would have.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
Been on the 12 Pro silver since launch with no case, still feeling really good about this one. Upgrading from a 6 I was worried about the size in my pocket, but it's pretty marginal in that sense. The biggest difference is the screen size, and I find it difficult touching things at the top of the screen one handed.

Also, picked up this glass screen protector from Spigen:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DQT3F3C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Installation is stupid easy and pretty full proof. The glass is really nice. No extra glare or fingerprints than the regular screen would have. Swiping from the edges still feels really good and I don't even notice the lip from the glass. It was actually more of a problem on the previous iPhone designs with the rounded edges. Swiping from a smooth rounded edge over a glass lip it was very noticeable, with the 12 design, my thumb feels the square edge of the phone and hardly even registers that there's a glass lip there.

And I have to say, the stainless steel frame is beautiful. Fingerprints are 100% not noticeable from any reasonable viewing distance.

Sep 24, 2020
Been on the 12 Pro silver since launch with no case, still feeling really good about this one. Upgrading from a 6 I was worried about the size in my pocket, but it's pretty marginal in that sense. The biggest difference is the screen size, and I find it difficult touching things at the top of the screen one handed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DQT3F3C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Installation is stupid easy and pretty full proof. The glass is really nice. No extra glare or fingerprints than the regular screen would have. Swiping from the edges still feels really good and I don't even notice the lip from the glass. It was actually more of a problem on the previous iPhone designs with the rounded edges. Swiping from a smooth rounded edge over a glass lip it was very noticeable, with the 12 design, my thumb feels the square edge of the phone and hardly even registers that there's a glass lip there.

And I have to say, the stainless steel frame is beautiful. Fingerprints are 100% not noticeable from any reasonable viewing distance.
Thanks for the writeup on the screen protector, ordered the same ones for my blue 12 this morning, also going caseless, getting AC+ though ASAP.

abstemious

Oct 28, 2017
The biggest difference is the screen size, and I find it difficult touching things at the top of the screen one handed.

have you got reachability turned on?

www.macworld.co.uk

Struggling with the iPhone XS Max's huge screen? Reachability is the answer

The iPhone XS and XR have big screens and the XS Max has a huge screen. If you have small hands reaching the top can be a struggle. Luckily it's easy to access every millimetre with the Reachability feature

Oct 25, 2017
Sort of wished I waited for the mini. Smaller and weighs less than the 8, and has a larger screen area. It's just better in every way.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
have you got reachability turned on?

www.macworld.co.uk

Struggling with the iPhone XS Max's huge screen? Reachability is the answer

The iPhone XS and XR have big screens and the XS Max has a huge screen. If you have small hands reaching the top can be a struggle. Luckily it's easy to access every millimetre with the Reachability feature

Oh yeah! I used to accidentally activate that on the phones with the home button. Now I actually have a use for it. Thanks for the tip!

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sort of wished I waited for the mini. Smaller and weighs less than the 8, and has a larger screen area. It's just better in every way.

The screen isn't as wide as the 8, that will make videos in landscape feel cramped. I remember when I got the iPhone X, it's a much bigger screen than the 7/8 but didn't feel like that watching videos. Feels a lot smaller for that compared to the plus phones. Trying out the xr, 6.1 feels nice for this, not quite as big as the plus/max phones but definitely a lot roomier compared to the 7/8.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Anyone order from Apple recently? Wondering what timeframe it would take to get a Pro delivered.

Pre-ordered w/T-mobile and 'estimated shipping date' is has changed 3 times and now sitting at a ridiculous 12/04 - 12/28 window.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Anyone order from Apple recently? Wondering what timeframe it would take to get a Pro delivered.

Pre-ordered w/T-mobile and 'estimated shipping date' is has changed 3 times and now sitting at a ridiculous 12/04 - 12/28 window.
Go to shop on apple.com, pick your model, carrier, etc, the estimated date will be there.

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Is it possible to transfer the data from an Samsung S8 to Iphone 12 via wi-fi if I decide to leave Android?

I don't want to transfer via usb since the port on my Samsung requires small miracles to work.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Was able to grab a 128gb 12 in blue at a local Apple Store, but somehow every Apple store in the surrounding 50 miles is completely sold out of every type of case. Do they hold back stock for walk-ins/is there any chance of them actually having something? I can have one of the silicone cases I wanted delivered by Friday but that means two days at work without a case which I'm not super stoked about.

I'd just buy something cheap on Amazon usually but I'm both tired of cheap cases aaaaaand want a MagSafe case, which it looks like only Apple and Otterbox are making currently.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
This is not exactly related but since there are a bunch of Apple people in here I thought I'd ask... recently my AirPods Pro stopped automatically routing audio from my iPhone when I put them in. It used to be I could just put on my AirPods and anything I played on the phone, music, videos, whatever, would automatically start going to my AirPods. But now when I put them on I have to manually select the AirPods in Control Center before audio starts going to them.

These AirPods aren't connected to any other device and nothing notable has changed recently for either the phone or the headphones. Any ideas?

Bii

Oct 25, 2017

I ordered four days ago and my estimated delivery date is Nov 16 - Nov 23.
Going through the steps that Aiii outlined, estimated delivery for orders placed today will arrive Nov 18 - Nov 25.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hows everyone finding battery life? I'm getting maybe 5-6hrs screen time? Which is to say I'm at 50% at 3hrs or so. I can't help but feel a bit disappointed about that, I'm coming from my X and that didn't seem much worse than this, especially after skipping the 11 series which I was so close to getting due to the apparant amazing battery

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hows everyone finding battery life? I'm getting maybe 5-6hrs screen time? Which is to say I'm at 50% at 3hrs or so. I can't help but feel a bit disappointed about that, I'm coming from my X and that didn't seem much worse than this, especially after skipping the 11 series which I was so close to getting due to the apparant amazing battery
My 11P lasts me all day and then some. I mainly run at like 10% brightness with auto adjust (True Tone on as well) but I obviously have no way to test 5G. Before C19 hit I was usually ending my days back at home (work 8 - 7) and plugging in at midnight with maybe 70% battery left. And that's with my Watch connected and using my iPhone and Watch for meeting and work email notifications and such.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
My 11P lasts me all day and then some. I mainly run at like 10% brightness with auto adjust (True Tone on as well) but I obviously have no way to test 5G. Before C19 hit I was usually ending my days back at home (work 8 - 7) and plugging in at midnight with maybe 70% battery left. And that's with my Watch connected and using my iPhone and Watch for meeting and work email notifications and such.

I'm worried because I'm not really doing that much on my phone atm.

Just seems to be worse than I expected. Ah well, the Pro Max is too big for me so I'll have to deal with this until next year

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Just seems to be worse than I expected. Ah well, the Pro Max is too big for me so I'll have to deal with this until next year
That's strange. I've been using my phone a lot more with WFH and even today I'm only at 75%, getting up at around 645AM EST. Maybe try fiddling with some settings or see if you have any apps that are hogs?

4h on, 1h off.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question: Can my wife and I just bring our Apple Upgrade Plan iPhones into an Apple Store to turn them in?

Long story short, our trade-in boxes ended up getting lost in a move, so we need to still be able to get our old phones back to Apple safely, and and Apple Store is the safest bet for us.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question: Can my wife and I just bring our Apple Upgrade Plan iPhones into an Apple Store to turn them in?

Long story short, our trade-in boxes ended up getting lost in a move, so we need to still be able to get our old phones back to Apple safely, and and Apple Store is the safest bet for us.
Check online, you might need an appointment (I will do when I can order mine in the UK) but otherwise this should be fine.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone in Canada am I doing it wrong if I buy my phones outright every year? Wonder if I'd save money on a plan.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020

I thought about getting the Spigen Protector but it doesnt cover the front camera and sensors and I really dont want them to be scratched.
So I went with the vau protector which is half the price.
I just hope the quality is at least decent. Judging from amazon reviews of the 12 protectors and 11 protectors it seems to be fine.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020

Does your phone lose connection to wlan or mobile data alot?

My current phone used alot of battery because it was searching for networks when I didnt switch off wlan or was at a location with bad reception for too long.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For anyone in Canada am I doing it wrong if I buy my phones outright every year? Wonder if I'd save money on a plan.
Eh, I'm on a hella old Freedom plan (since the beginning of Wind) and I've been doing BYOD since they allowed it. I always buy my phones so they're unlocked and i don't owe anyone shit. I pay $35 CAD a month for my plan for that reason.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017

The phones cost will be about the same but it depends if you want to pay up front or over time.

The one big caveat that makes buying outright cheaper is if you hustle you can get a much cheaper monthly plan. Most of the time when buying hardware from a carrier you're required to get plan that costs X amount per month + what you owe on the phone.

So for instance I'm with Koodo.
Buying the phone outright my cost over two years would be
$35/10GB(x24 months) + $1200 iPhone = $1900

Buying the phone from Koodo would cost
$443 up front + $33(x24 months tab) + $75/10GB(x24 months) = $3000

Also don't buy a new phone every year. Stick to every third year at least.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Watching Dolby Vision content on iPhone 12 using Disney+ Or HDR content on Netflix Is the real deal? Certainly looks like it from some HDR YouTube video tests I watched.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Does your phone lose connection to wlan or mobile data alot?

My current phone used alot of battery because it was searching for networks when I didnt switch off wlan or was at a location with bad reception for too long.

I'm on full strength wifi 95% of the day. Some days 100%. I wonder if even being connected to wifi, having 5G enabled at all is a big hog.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I love that MagSafe allows me to stick my phone on a magnetic car holder without having to put a steel plate and/or a case on my phone. It's the simple things.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
anyone here buy phones for birthday/christmas presents? How to handle the subjective preference for size/colour etc? Do you just pick and hope they like it, and buy it within a return windown so they can exchange? Or just tell them in advance so they can pick the right one and make it not a surprise?

getting a new phone to replace my daughters OG SE and don't know whether to go mini (like her SE) or 12, or what colour. For my wife when its time to replace it'll definitely be 12 mini as she hates big phones. But for my daughter she just had the SE because it was the cheapest at the time :)

Last edited:

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
anyone here buy phones for birthday/christmas presents? How to handle the subjective preference for size/colour etc? Do you just pick and hope they like it, and buy it within a return windown so they can exchange? Or just tell them in advance so they can pick the right one and make it not a surprise?

getting a new phone to replace my daughters OG SE and don't know whether to go mini (like her SE) or 12, or what colour. For my wife when its time to replace it'll definitely be 12 mini as she hates small phones. But for my daughter she just had the SE because it was the cheapest at the time :)
Just strike up a "natural" conversation like "I really like the blue on the new iPhone" and see how they respond. Or just get the same-ish colour as what they already have. Or just get any colour if they normally just stick a case on it.

Size wise I assume you meant to say your wife hates large phones? If your daughter is one her phone constantly I'd get the normal 12 because the bigger screen is going to be better for content and it's not really a big or heavy phone compared to something like the Max and most budget Android phones these days that are gigantic.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cannot stop teetering between gold or pacific blue. The gold is just stunning but blue will blend into a case better...

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Cannot stop teetering between gold or pacific blue. The gold is just stunning but blue will blend into a case better...

I don't know if this helps your decision but not only is blue arguably more flexible for casing, this is likely the only year it'll exist if last year's iPhone 11 Pro Midnight Green is a sign of anything. The Pacific Blue is likely to be the 12 Pro's signature color, the one that absolutely screams that that's the phone you own, for better or for worse depending on your perspective.

Gold is nicely changed up this year but "Gold" is almost always an option for the line, too.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Just strike up a "natural" conversation like "I really like the blue on the new iPhone" and see how they respond. Or just get the same-ish colour as what they already have. Or just get any colour if they normally just stick a case on it.

Size wise I assume you meant to say your wife hates large phones? If your daughter is one her phone constantly I'd get the normal 12 because the bigger screen is going to be better for content and it's not really a big or heavy phone compared to something like the Max and most budget Android phones these days that are gigantic.

Good point about size. If I went 12 I'd get the white. But she'd have a case anyway. And if availability is better I can wait until mid November and hopefully Apple will have an extended returns window to cover Christmas