Which titles are you the most excited for?

• Jet Set Radio

Votes: 667 53.3%
  • Crazy Taxi

Votes: 424 33.9%
  • Shinobi

Votes: 323 25.8%
  • Streets of Rage

Votes: 153 12.2%
  • Golden Axe

Votes: 229 18.3%

• Total voters

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
While the art direction of the environments for Jet Set Radio are kinda nice (chromatic aberration background is pretty inspired, but hopefully won't bug certain players' eyes too much), but the characters just look wrong. Leaning towards too realistic.

Like, I don't need to see Beat's individual hair strands, my guy. It ain't working for me.

Ultimately though, even if I was MAD sour on this from reveal (or I guess the leak, since I did see this back then lol), I'm still excited to see what they do with a new JSR. Unfortunately I have very little familiarity with any of the other IPs. I'm hoping on something for Skies of Arcadia next. :x

Last edited:

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Did I miss something or were a new VF and PSO also leaked in this thread?!

I ain't believing anyone about a new VF until I actually see a new VF. I've been hurt before.

After watching all the TGA trailers of same~y boring looking shooters and designs, SEGA was definitely the highlight for me. Amazing to think that classic SEGA IPs finally return!

Understand the concept of love! 💕

Yea, at some point during the show I felt like I'd seen the same 4 or 5 games shown multiple times each. Was a nice change.

I really, really, REALLY want them to bring back Outrun as well. Feels like maybe the only thing that would hold them back is the Ferrari license?

Honestly, for both Outrun and After Burner, Sega needs to detach them from their licensed history. Make Ferrari branded free DLC if needs be, so that can eventually be delisted and not the entire game.

Daytona is kinda screwed because it's right there in the name, but Outrun and Afterburner shouldn't be having this happen over and over again still.

People love brands huh.

I feel like only Shinobi really looked good because I trust Lizardcube implicitly, the rest felt fair to poor. Streets of Rage and Crazy Taxi looked straight up bad honestly, not sure what to make of Golden Axe (I'm always sort of surprised its a brand that survived in peoples thoughts since the 90s as the console games weren't that great), and I'll have to see with Jet Set Radio as Bomb Rush Cyberfunk really just satisfied that JSRF sequel itch in a way that I don't really have much faith Sega-actual could.

"People love brands huh" is probably the single most depressing angle to look at this from. Maybe people are just excited that a major publisher (other than Nintendo) is actually looking back into their history, and reviving some beloved IP of games that exist in genres / subgenres that are basically completely absent in todays market beyond cover band style indie games. We've watched Sega basically rely on releasing 62948 Yakuza games over the years as a safety net, whilst flailing around on titles like Hyenas in the background. And these games at least look like they're attempting to understand the audience they're aimed towards, unlike the likes of Sakura Wars completely ignoring the gameplay/genre that anyone that knows the IP would actually be looking to play.

SEGA just found out SEGA exists. Not sure how any will turn out as they will be some ways off no doubt. Nor how good they'll sell. But it's nice to see them revisiting some classic franchises b

After Sumo Digital got bought out, Sega had the sudden realisation that they'd need to make Sega games instead now.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
Feel like a 3D SoR is a bit of a misstep, the brawler resurgence has come about because everyone seemed to accept that they only really worked on a 2D plain... We tried making brawlers 3D decades ago, and it literally killed the genre for years.
It could work. Power Stone had the blueprints nailed, and nothing was ever done with that approach with a beat 'em up. I always felt like it was the natural progression for the genre.

Krooner

Oct 27, 2017
It could work. Power Stone had the blueprints nailed, and nothing was ever done with that approach with a beat 'em up. I always felt like it was the natural progression for the genre.

True, I did enjoy Power Stone, I've just still go the taste of Turtles in Time Reshelled in my mouth I suppose.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Feel like a 3D SoR is a bit of a misstep, the brawler resurgence has come about because everyone seemed to accept that they only really worked on a 2D plain... We tried making brawlers 3D decades ago, and it literally killed the genre for years.
Who's "everyone"? Ignoring that Yakuza combat has been a 3D brawler for quite a while, which certainly has its dedicated fans (I know you said that its more than its combat - I agree - but there's a fanbase for specifically the combat), character action games are not entirely divorced from 3D brawlers, so there's that/
Also, fyi, Urban Reign runs laps around almost any 2D brawler you can name, its absolutely amazing, play it if you've not had the chance (assuming you have a PS2 of course, because Namco wont remaster it!)
Oh, and Spikeout also did insanely well for Sega back in the day, that's as 3D of a brawler as you can get. Just a pity the Xbox version wasnt received as well as it was in the arcades.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This was the megaton of yesterdays show. There's literally nothing in the show that eclipses it. I think the only other thing in the last decade that got me this hype was ff7r being announced

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
Shinobi and Golden Axe are the two I'm most excited for. I have such fond memories of playing those as a kid. God, I hope they turn out good.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Who's "everyone"? Ignoring that Yakuza combat has been a 3D brawler for quite a while, which certainly has its dedicated fans (I know you said that its more than its combat - I agree - but there's a fanbase for specifically the combat), character action games are not entirely divorced from 3D brawlers, so there's that/
Also, fyi, Urban Reign runs laps around almost any 2D brawler you can name, its absolutely amazing, play it if you've not had the chance (assuming you have a PS2 of course, because Namco wont remaster it!)
Oh, and Spikeout also did insanely well for Sega back in the day, that's as 3D of a brawler as you can get. Just a pity the Xbox version wasnt received as well as it was in the arcades.
This man speaks the truth. Spike out is godly. I still have to scoop a copy of urban reign. It's always seemed like my jam. SOR4 is my fave beat 'em up ever but I'm still down with a 3d style interpretation. Would be interesting to see it step into a 3d beat 'em up genre

Darkwing Duck

Sep 5, 2023
While the art direction of the environments for Jet Set Radio are kinda nice (chromatic aberration background is pretty inspired, but hopefully won't bug certain players' eyes too much), but the characters just look wrong. Leaning towards too realistic.

Like, I don't need to see Beat's individual hair strands, my guy. It ain't working for me.

Ultimately though, even if I was MAD sour on this from reveal (or I guess the leak, since I did see this back then lol), I'm still excited to see what they do with a new JSR. Unfortunately I have very little familiarity with any of the other IPs. I'm hoping on something for Skies of Arcadia next. :x
I agree about the art direction of Jet Set Radio. They were testing four different art styles and it seems like they decided on the worst one. Wish they went with something more stylized. Looks like option 3 is what they decided on?

FtTWGb8X0AMXlnK.png

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
I agree about the art direction of Jet Set Radio. They were testing four different art styles and it seems like they decided on the worst one. Wish they went with something more stylized. Looks like option 3 is what they decided on?

FtTWGb8X0AMXlnK.png

THIS IS SO COOL TO SEE, THANK YOU!

Yeah #2 is absolutely what I would've gone with. What we have feels like a miss. Aaaah, such a shame. ;_;

EDIT: It looks like option #1 is what was presented in the trailer? Not 100% sure.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
The 5 IP in this announcement have been constantly in the Sega of America offices and merch shop for the last 15 years it feels like. There is still a JSR wall in the Sega Europe offices

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
That's because it was a different game and worse as well!

They should had just ported the arcade version.

But yeah I also liked Urban Reign as well.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
The child in me got very excited seeing this last night. Loved this era of Sega.

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
"People love brands huh" is probably the single most depressing angle to look at this from. Maybe people are just excited that a major publisher (other than Nintendo) is actually looking back into their history, and reviving some beloved IP of games that exist in genres / subgenres that are basically completely absent in todays market beyond cover band style indie games. We've watched Sega basically rely on releasing 62948 Yakuza games over the years as a safety net, whilst flailing around on titles like Hyenas in the background. And these games at least look like they're attempting to understand the audience they're aimed towards, unlike the likes of Sakura Wars completely ignoring the gameplay/genre that anyone that knows the IP would actually be looking to play.
Were the battles in Sakura Wars 6 really that different from Sakura Wars 5?

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
I will put Sakura Wars into a successful revival category. Very good game that get's the essence of the series. If you know the franchise, its not about the battle system.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I love Jet Set Radio art direction and it looks amazing and next gen, like the feeling of seeing something old with an entirely new depth.
Low poly in the dreamcast game isn't part of the aesthetic, it's just .. a dreamcast game...
I see those games that try to pay homage to it and they have the exact same low poly + blurry minimalistic textures... It's (to me i guess!) like just copying something blindly without trying to understand the feel and going further.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I think the JSR Art Direction looks pretty damn good myself.

I'm stunned that modern Sega is actually going to sink some serious money into these old IP after letting them be dormant for so long. While they're at it they should put out a remaster of All-Stars Racing Transformed since that's the most recent significant showing for a lot of these series locales and characters.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That's because it was a different game and worse as well!

They should had just ported the arcade version.

But yeah I also liked Urban Reign as well.
I see conflicting arguements on this one (SO Battlestreet) - some say its a port/pseudo sequel while others say its all new. I cant wait to play the original via Yakuza 8 next month to finally see for myself!

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Crazy Taxi looks like maybe you play as the taxi drivers, or the police trying to stop all the crazy taxiing.

Manatron

Feb 6, 2018
I popped so hard when I saw the Jet Set Radio footage. I can't believe they're actually doing it.

Bomb Rush Cyberfunk was awesome, so they actually have competition now too.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like this trailer as I would have prefered an actual trailer dedicated to the games but other than that, I love this. I love all the games here so I can't wait.
I will put Sakura Wars into a successful revival category. Very good game that get's the essence of the series. If you know the franchise, its not about the battle system.
Agreed.

I wish we got a sequel.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Practically announcing the SEGA FIVE only took like 20 years to copy Capcom. But this is really nuts, let's hope more than one of these is going to be real video games.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Easily my favorite trailer and reveal of the show. Despite Sega putting out feelers regarding interest in old IP's, I didn't expect an initiative like this. Don't need AAA projects either to do them justice, just want arcadey fun in the spirit of each franchise. If any delivers beyond that expectation, even better.

Gives me hope for other IP's in Sega's vault that I figured we'd never see again as well. Kid Chameleon 2, let's goo

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Do people even take taxis anymore? Should be crazy ride share.
There was a Crazy Taxi clicker game for mobile from a few years ago where the whole plot was that an Uber parody was trying to put the Crazy Taxi company out of business. I wouldn't be surprised if the new game does something similar.

GamerEDM

May 7, 2020
so i wonder how long these games have been in development for . I remember the super game thing being announced quite some time ago