• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which titles are you the most excited for?

• Jet Set Radio

Votes: 667 53.3%
  • Crazy Taxi

Votes: 424 33.9%
  • Shinobi

Votes: 323 25.8%
  • Streets of Rage

Votes: 153 12.2%
  • Golden Axe

Votes: 229 18.3%

• Total voters

EvaUnit787

Aug 6, 2023
I am so excited gor all of these and the extra ones they did not announced.

This must mean a new PSO right? And like revamped in some grander way.

I'd love really oldschool stuff to come back to. Vectorman? Nights? SEAMAN!?!?!

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Not good. Which is really unfortunate given that it coincides with Fire Emblem blowing up to become bigger than ever in the series' original subgenre.

SEGA really flubbed by not re-releasing a 1 + 2 set (which is really the only ones with heavily overt references in Shin). SW1+2 with QOL improvements would have probably done pretty well on Switch in particular.

Level 7 Boss

Jun 19, 2018
Previous Sega fanboy when they made consoles but I have no idea on who their studios are anymore. Do we know what studios are developing these, be it official or speculation and is the general feeling that they are competent enough to handle these IPs with care and release a quality product.

Massive respect to Sega, I do hope these do well but my fear is that the IPs are all reasonably niche.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Very excited about all of this.
Now I wonder if Sega's vision for their "super game" is going to be something like Epic is trying to do with Fortnite, and by that I mean a "hub" for people to play and connect with their classic IPs and seamlessly enter different games.

May 15, 2019
Cyberfunk is way too easy, the manual makes the game boring for me.
I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks this. I vibed with BRC's style but the controls are just so incredibly forgiving. There's no momentum to the movement so you can just stop on a dime, you get the airbooster that lets you readjust any jump you screw up, the combo system is certainly more fleshed out than JSRF's but it's absolutely trivial to keep a combo going between the manual and being able to do manual specials that reset your combo meter. All of this combines into a game with no friction against the player, which I guess is what most people wanted but I prefer a game to actually challenge me at least a little bit. The original Jet Set Radio is way too stiff, but I thought Future found the perfect level of fighting against/mastering the momentum.

I don't necessarily have blind faith that this new Jet Set Radio will be good, it's not like SmileBit is developing it, but I think there's a very real chance it can be a better game than Bomb Rush was.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
These all look great and I'm excited about this initiative.

I'm curious if these are being created within Sega or through development partnerships, though. I don't actually think it makes a huge difference either way—just curious.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah count me as someone who also thought BRC was rather dull. Couldn't even finish it which sucks for how long I've been waiting for it. Clearly a different team from the old, but I hope this new JSR injects some excitement.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks this. I vibed with BRC's style but the controls are just so incredibly forgiving. There's no momentum to the movement so you can just stop on a dime, you get the airbooster that lets you readjust any jump you screw up, the combo system is certainly more fleshed out than JSRF's but it's absolutely trivial to keep a combo going between the manual and being able to do manual specials that reset your combo meter. All of this combines into a game with no friction against the player, which I guess is what most people wanted but I prefer a game to actually challenge me at least a little bit. The original Jet Set Radio is way too stiff, but I thought Future found the perfect level of fighting against/mastering the momentum.

I don't necessarily have blind faith that this new Jet Set Radio will be good, it's not like SmileBit is developing it, but I think there's a very real chance it can be a better game than Bomb Rush was.
Absolutely agree with most of this. Though I prefer the gameplay of the original over Future.

I just don't get the appeal of an arcade style game with no difficulty. Its like playing Tony Hawk with all the cheats turned on.

Zinogah

Feb 12, 2023
Maryland
Cyberfunk is way too easy, the manual makes the game boring for me.

Pretty much my main critique with the game. I love all the movement options but manual movement (especially with the bike) is just ridiculous. Still love it but I'm hoping JSR will have a higher skill curve when it comes to landing longer combos.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
2024-2025 will be Sega's time for sure (assuming these all release by then).

• Yakuza 8
  • Persona 3 Reload
  • Metaphor
  • Jet Set Radio
  • Shinobi
  • Golden Axe
  • Streets of Rage
  • Crazy Taxi
  • Something Sonic (almost guaranteed)
  • Rumored Persona spin-off game
Sega may be coming for Capcom's crown in my eyes. Especially with 2024 seeming rather barren for Capcom (outside of updates on released games)

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see a Phantasy Star reboot. Not in the vein of Phantasy Star Online or Universe, but a classic JRPG like the original genesis games. I think that could be amazing.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I'd love to see a Phantasy Star reboot. Not in the vein of Phantasy Star Online or Universe, but a classic JRPG like the original genesis games. I think that could be amazing.

dunno why they just don't give it to Atlus or outsource it to one of the many good indie JRPG devs out there. i think a remake of PS1 would actually be pretty awesome-- cool scenario to build from and they could make the first person dungeons more thematically unique.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
I was very happy with these announcements yesterday. Please don't hat me, but JSR never clicked for me on Dreamcast, while everyone else loves it ^^ still it was cool to see Golden Axe, Streets of Rage and Crazy Taxi (for me). I never played Shinobi (sorry!)...

I will keep my hopes in check, but it sounds all pretty cool on paper and with these short clips. Even if just 1-2 of them (there will be more getting announced) work out great, it's already a good thing for me.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
2019/2020/2021 had revivals of: Shenmue III, Panzer Dragoon, Space Channel 5, Alex Kidd, House of the Dead, Streets of Rage 4. That's 6 games, all licensed, not published or developed. It seems like this was a test...and it worked, Sega found out these old IP have an audience, and make it themselves

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Absolutely agree with most of this. Though I prefer the gameplay of the original over Future.

I just don't get the appeal of an arcade style game with no difficulty. Its like playing Tony Hawk with all the cheats turned on.
It leans moreso into the stylistic exploratory platformer with puzzle-ish elements from Future. If a new Jet Set wasn't coming out I'd be more down on how easy it is, but this announcement relieves a lot of pressure off reptile so they can pretty much support their game how they want, without feeling like they have to carry the spiritual successor burden.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
2019/2020/2021 had revivals of: Shenmue III, Panzer Dragoon, Space Channel 5, Alex Kidd, House of the Dead, Streets of Rage 4. That's 6 games, all licensed, not published or developed. It seems like this was a test...and it worked, Sega found out these old IP have an audience, and make it themselves
Do we have proof that they're making any of these themselves? I thought all of them are outsourced too.

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy Taxi better have the original soundtrack!
The original bands sure, and All I Want from Offspring for sure, but they need to expand the soundtrack - in game its two Offspring and two Bad Religion songs, lasting only a couple of minutes. They need to brand out and add more Offspring and BR tracks, maybe look into getting more punk rock added as well - I mean, it doesnt NEED to be punk, but between the three games that's the soundtracks they've used so I kinda need them!

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Like everyone else, this was a joyful nostalgia rush for me. I am old enough to remember playing Shinobi on a dirty arcade machine in a fish and chip shop, and Golden Axe on an Atari ST.

I never played Jet Set Radio though, never owned a Dreamcast.

Vourlis

Aug 14, 2022
United States
I want to see some screenshots of these games.

Shinobi looked beautiful. Please Hotsuma character skin alt!!!!

I was hoping the next Streets of Rage and Golden Axe would be more 2d, but I'll take it.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
It leans moreso into the stylistic exploratory platformer with puzzle-ish elements from Future. If a new Jet Set wasn't coming out I'd be more down on how easy it is, but this announcement relieves a lot of pressure off reptile so they can pretty much support their game how they want, without feeling like they have to carry the spiritual successor burden.
If you turn all the cheats on in Tony Hawk it's also an exploratory platformer.

Cyberfunk is constantly giving you missions to get high scores too,

Jul 4, 2023
Love that some of these franchises are getting another chance.

I think it's funny though how it's labeled as a "new era" of Sega when it's just a return to form or an older era. Not what I expected when the term new era was being thrown around.

Also, bring back Panzer Dragoon you cowards.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
Just been obsessively pouring over the trailer and notice that with new Crazy Taxi, you start from the exact same point as you did in the original game. Makes for a fun comparison shot.

4ByyQh7.png

RYu6fhS.png

Crazy Taxi seems to be more of a straight remake, or at least draws the most from its original source material. It's set in San Francisco again, all the old cabbies and their cars are in, and you even have the same starting point. I'm guessing they're going for an expanded remake - same gameflow as the original, but now with more players/cabbies simultaneously and with police chasing you. Didn't look like any cars were jumping like in CT3.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Here are some bands I would like to see in the Crazy Taxi soundtrack:
  • Turnstile
  • Angel Du$t
  • Buggin
  • Suicidal Tendencies
  • Soul Glo
  • Pinkshift
  • Bad Brains
  • Operation Ivy
  • Less Than Jake
  • The Bouncing Souls
Obviously, Offspring and Bad Religion should be in it, but I hope they're not the only ones taking up the majority of the soundtrack. Crazy Taxi should be a gateway to introduce new people to bands they've never heard of, like the Tony Hawk games.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Just been obsessively pouring over the trailer and notice that with new Crazy Taxi, you start from the exact same point as you did in the original game. Makes for a fun comparison shot.
4ByyQh7.png

RYu6fhS.png

Crazy Taxi seems to be more of a straight remake, or at least draws the most from its original source material. It's set in San Francisco again, all the old cabbies and their cars are in, and you even have the same starting point. I'm guessing they're going for an expanded remake - same gameflow as the original, but now with police chasing you. Didn't look like any cars were jumping like in CT3.
I would be happy with an updated but straight port

"hey hey hey it's time to make some CRAZY money!"

"

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am worried about some of the titles being GaaS (Crazy Taxi) and concept and quality (Golden Axe, maybe SoR), but I am excited to see returning characters.

Tyris definitely got an upgrade to her design (provided that is her), so did Ax Battler.

The Omega Man

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017

4ByyQh7.png

RYu6fhS.png

Crazy Taxi seems to be more of a straight remake, or at least draws the most from its original source material. It's set in San Francisco again, all the old cabbies and their cars are in, and you even have the same starting point. I'm guessing they're going for an expanded remake - same gameflow as the original, but now with more players/cabbies simultaneously and with police chasing you. Didn't look like any cars were jumping like in CT3.
What if it is the same guy, older and balding? Kind of looks like it lol

The Omega Man

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
SEGA should release the old super scalers and the new emulated Daytona 2 as a compilation/stand-alone versions to quench our thirst while we wait, just saying

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
I'm guessing because of the pattern set by Jet Set Radio and Future, new JSR is going to be another "alternate universe", but now set closer to current contemporary trappings.

Though interesting note: The neon Jet Set Radio sign in Professor K's booth is straight up from JSR: Future.

jqpMpU4.png

retrospective-jet-set-radio-future-141457600062.jpg

Also cute little touch: Professor K is tuned in to 0.66, or GG.

gdCj30R.png

Professor K's design seems to harken back to the original game. It's a lot less wild than either of the previous titles, but I dig it. Still has the triangle shades. His hair and tie aren't electrified like before, but they have physics and seem to allow for some fun movement. He's still extremely animated, which is super important for a guy like Prof. K.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
As excited as I am specifically for Jet Set Radio, I'll probably end up buying all 5 of these games. Pretty exciting to be a Sega fan.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Very cool reveal. I hope the "and more" might include Skies of Arcadia, Shining Force, and Panzer Dragoon (Saga).

GraceOfGod

Jan 27, 2020
Great games list, glad these are coming back, but i will add my voice to the "Please Shining Force" requests.