Which titles are you the most excited for?

• Jet Set Radio

Votes: 667 53.3%
  • Crazy Taxi

Votes: 424 33.9%
  • Shinobi

Votes: 323 25.8%
  • Streets of Rage

Votes: 153 12.2%
  • Golden Axe

Votes: 229 18.3%

• Total voters

Haxxor2000

Jan 2, 2018
That's the catch huh? Getting close to VT2 gameplay would be a challenge indeed. Sega now is not the same Sega from back then. That's why I can't get upset when they don't announce a VF6.

I hope these games are all quality though.

A man has to dream, they can even be really lazy, just port it, remove the licensed players even if needed, just keep the gameplay, even the slowdowned replays.

I was so sad when my DC broke and could not find a replacement (for s descent price), so many games (like 10?) lost to time.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
I could see After Burner becoming an Ace Combat like. Outrun... I've absolutely no idea what they could do with it.

Rogues are non linear by nature, you will never see the same thing twice, while arcade games are linear. Although, I think adding a rogue mode to a potential Golden Axe game would be perfect.

People have been mislabeling games as roguelikes for years, it'll be fine to do so with roguelite.

Nerd123

Aug 18, 2022
What I want most from them is without question a new Outrun. God, that would be so awesome. Outrun 2 is one of my favorite games.

After that..anything Skies of Arcadia. And I say that as someone who hasn't even played the game. I have seen enough though to know that I would love a remaster or remake at the least

Anything else is gravy. Like A Dragon is in my top 5 fave game franchises already. I really hope diving in their old catalogue like this turns out as awesome as we all hope. They have so many amazing titles from their past they can resurrect.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Maybe that insider is less trustworthy than Sega?! Lol

Im not going to discredit them when they have clearly gotten info correct in the past. I mean, we have seen that JSR was in active development even in 2021 when it was in the vid showcasing the Sonic Frontiers concept and the Persona 3 Remake. Its kind of hard to imagine that JSR would be releasing by "March 2026" unless they are giving a ridiculously generous window for potential delays.

Would appreciate if Head on the Block could clarify as they are saying its a 2024 targetted game

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Im not going to discredit them when they have clearly gotten info correct in the past. I mean, we have seen that JSR was in active development even in 2021 when it was in the vid showcasing the Sonic Frontiers concept and the Persona 3 Remake. Its kind of hard to imagine that JSR would be releasing by "March 2026" unless they are giving a ridiculously generous window for potential delays.

Would appreciate if Head on the Block could clarify as they are saying its a 2024 targetted game

They are still in pre production:

View: https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1734073749060895144

Alex de Souza

Jul 14, 2022
JSR was in that leaked video with Sonic Frontiers and Persona 3 Remake, so I thought it was at a more advanced stage of development compared to the others.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017

Considering the devs have just said the game's in pre-production, either it wasn't in active dev in 2021 or got rebooted along the way. It's entirely possible what we originally saw back then was a proof of concept in an attempt to sell the new game to the higher-ups. And it is also entirely possible that the change in management focus and creation of the Super Game initiative took what was going to be a smaller game or perhaps a remaster and turned it into a large-scale project.

It's a safe bet that we should take what Sega and the devs are saying now for where the project is and possible release timing over a promo vid from a couple years ago.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

It is definitely not a 2024 game. The whole point of the 8 minute video is to attract devs to work in the game. There's really no reason to trust anyone that says this is a 2024 release.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018

Thats crazy to hear then since it was alongside two games that are already done today (Well P3R is a couple of months out still).

Considering the devs have just said the game's in pre-production, either it wasn't in active dev in 2021 or got rebooted along the way. It's entirely possible what we originally saw back then was a proof of concept in an attempt to sell the new game to the higher-ups. And it is also entirely possible that the change in management focus and creation of the Super Game initiative took what was going to be a smaller game or perhaps a remaster and turned it into a large-scale project.

It's a safe bet that we should take what Sega and the devs are saying now for where the project is and possible release timing over a promo vid from a couple years ago.

I believe its been in development for some time now along with Crazy Taxi, according to Bloomberg sources

CT in 2022 was apparently in development for a year already while they didn't specify the time of JSR. The fact that it was shown in 2021 is a good indicator it was already being worked on.

Like I said earlier in the thread, SEGA never struck me as being equipped to have so many big budget games in development all at once in terms of things like staff and resources so I can understand if these games are progressing slowly.

It is definitely not a 2024 game. The whole point of the 8 minute video is to attract devs to work in the game. There's really no reason to trust anyone that says this is a 2024 release.

I would think it would, it was clearly a marketing and recruiting vid to be seen behind closed doors (the one that was leaked was not even a minute, not sure what the 8 min vid is). Im just saying it shows the game has been in development for a long time now, and Bloomberg also confirms Crazy Taxi as well.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I would think it would, it was clearly a marketing and recruiting vid to be seen behind closed doors (the one that was leaked was not even a minute, not sure what the 8 min vid is). Im just saying it shows the game has been in development for a long time now, and Bloomberg also confirms Crazy Taxi as well.
The 2021 video, sure. But that user in question said the video was fake at first so one should be extremely doubtful of their claims.

The 8 minute video is where the tweet from Gosokkyu comes from. Clearly madeo attract developers. We're not getting this game until 2025-26 at the very earliest if it's still in pre-production.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
The 2021 video, sure. But that user in question said the video was fake at first so one should be extremely doubtful of their claims.

The 8 minute video is where the tweet from Gosokkyu comes from. Clearly madeo attract developers. We're not getting this game until 2025-26 at the very earliest if it's still in pre-production.

Thanks for the vid, somehow missed it. Yeah it does seem like the game is much further off then it seemed from all the reports/leaks over the last few years. Hopefully it at least makes it sometime in 2025

multiscr33n

Oct 27, 2017
Sidenote: The Japanese Sega Channel on YouTube looks underperforming to me. It has only 296k followers, and the Game Awards trailer has only 63k views. Maybe YouTube is not that popular in Japan? I hope it's not Sega. Sure, it's not Nintendo, and I know that a lot of Sega stuff performed far better in the West. But still, I would expect more than this.

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Sidenote: The Japanese Sega Channel on YouTube looks underperforming to me. It has only 296k followers, and the Game Awards trailer has only 63k views. Maybe YouTube is not that popular in Japan? I hope it's not Sega. Sure, it's not Nintendo, and I know that a lot of Sega stuff performed far better in the West. But still, I would expect more than this.
There is Niconico,

I remember I was looking up most viewed Sega stuff on there once and saw a lot of Sakura Wars.

Nov 19, 2019
I'm a small fanclub, but I'd want a new Bonanza Bros, if we're talking about more revivals we want.
Eh-heh-heh!

bonanza_bros__render_by_evilasio2_dfqtp5n-pre.png

Phenomenal game.

chivibowie

Feb 14, 2019
The Sega Japan YouTube channel complements the separate channels dedicated to its intellectual properties. Undoubtedly, the Sega Japan most viewed channel is Project Sekai, where it's not uncommon to find videos reaching a million views. Perhaps the second most popular is the Yakuza channel, PSO2 maybe the third... Regarding the recent announcements, it's possible they aren't garnering as many views because games like Jet Set Radio sold around 60,000 copies in Japan back in the day. Additionally, those who played Streets of Rage or Golden Axe might not be active gamers anymore.

Jun 9, 2023
Okay, I'm just now seeing this but holy shit.

I'd love to see a new fully 2D Beat em Up Comix Zone, or even a 3D sorta-character action take on it.

It's 2D and I guess a mix of manga style levels with western comics

When you say PSO...is this something like PSO Classic (Episodes 1 and 2 but for modern platforms) or a real follow-up that is not PSO2?

It's more like PSO remake, that's all I can say. Keep your expectations in check for this one and VF, these "look" like smaller budgets but I could be wrong.

Jet Set WAS a 2024 title like I said before but it's run into multiple delays, it didn't meet expectations last year (a company term, not mine). Taxi is basically complete but Sega is testing it more than any game I've seen before, not sure when it's landing.

And they still have original IPs coming along with a couple big partnerships

Jul 22, 2022
I could see After Burner becoming an Ace Combat like. Outrun... I've absolutely no idea what they could do with it.
I have 2 ideas for Out Run 3. The first one is like Out Run set in Forza Horizon kind of world with coast to coast/ point A to point B, C, D and so on races with no stages but an organic and interconnected system of streets and highways.
The second one is just Out Run 2 x F-Zero 99.

ShiftaDeband

Nov 15, 2017
Honestly all they need to do is take PSO Episode 1 and 2 and just make it work with modern online systems and I'd be there

With the success of some classic games like OSRS and Classic WoW, I used to be a little surprised these games weren't considered for re-release as PSO Classic. At the same time, though, they finally brought PSO2 stateside not that long ago, shortly followed up by NGS more recently. I guess it makes sense that they don't want to compete with their own game, especially with how much monetization is in PSO2/NGS.

If they do it right, I can't wait to see what they have in store. Dreaming big, but it would be very cool to see a re-imagining of Episodes I, II, and IV. I'd love to see Episode III incorporated somehow, but that's an unlikely dream, I'd imagine. The thing we miss with Episode III is the actual ending -- as far as we know it, at least -- of the Ragol plotline.

Anyway, I'll also be there the second it goes live.

Anyway, thank you, Head on the Block. Can't wait to see what's next for SEGA.

Last edited:

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's Sega that's never been that popular.
I've never lived in Japan myself but it seems Sega was at one point very popular in Japan.

1995 Best-Selling Dedicated Arcade Cabinets in Japan
1. Virtua Cop (Sega)
2. Virtua Fighter 2 (DX) (Sega)
3. Ace Driver (Namco)
4. Daytona USA (2P) (Sega)
5. Sega Rally (2P) (Sega)
6. Sports Fishing (Sega)
7. Daytona USA (DX) (Sega)
8. Point Blank (Namco)
9. Final Lap R (Namco)
10. Quiz Doremifa GP (Konami)
11. Sega Rally (DX) (Sega)
12. Out Runners (Sega)
13. Ridge Racer 2 (Namco)
14. Lethal Enforcers (Konami)
15. Wing War (Sega)

https://onitama.tv/gamemachine/pdf/19960201p.pdf#page=12

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Youtube is really popular in Japan. NicoNico is a thing, but mostly for Live stuff (mostly because you have to log in to use NicoNico, and that's annoying).

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
I've never lived in Japan myself but it seems Sega was at one point very popular in Japan.

1. Virtua Cop (Sega)
3. Ace Driver (Namco)
6. Sports Fishing (Sega)
8. Point Blank (Namco)
9. Final Lap R (Namco)
12. Out Runners (Sega)
15. Wing War (Sega)

That list reminds me of how Namco came out on top these days on the JP arcade market thanks to Bandai IP (Dragon Ball, Gundam, Idolmaster etc.)

ted90909

Apr 11, 2022
That list reminds me of how Namco came out on top these days on the JP arcade market thanks to Bandai IP (Dragon Ball, Gundam, Idolmaster etc.)
They have had their recent loss-making misses too, the second iteration of the Gundam pods are ending service early next year (though the other two game lines for it are still successful) and alongside Tekken 8 not releasing at all outside of console/PC, Dragon Ball Zenkai Battle went offline too recently after over a decade in arcades. Big expo presence though

Inconveniently, Arcade Belgium haven't shared any full income charts of late but their last shows Sega's Eiketsu Taisen holding its ground against Gundam, and in terms of location numbers apparently only their rhythm games can really compete with Taiko (which is helped by being in loads of supermarkets as well) - most of Konami's are much fewer now.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

1. Virtua Cop (Sega)
3. Ace Driver (Namco)
6. Sports Fishing (Sega)
8. Point Blank (Namco)
9. Final Lap R (Namco)
12. Out Runners (Sega)
15. Wing War (Sega)

SEGA was kicking ass and taking names back in the 90s in the arcade scene for sure.
They dominated the arcade scene here in the UK too. Used to see Virtua Striker, Virtua Fighter 2 and Virtua Cop cabs everywhere (more than I did see Capcom and Namco cabs).

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
So these still don't have devs, right? These are still for recruiting?

I find it wild that, and this is an assumption purely from the artwork, that they'd give Lizard Cube Shinobi but not SOR5.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
www.gematsu.com

Crazy Taxi, Golden Axe, Jet Set Radio, Shinobi, and Streets of Rage revivals – new information and images

SEGA shared new information and artwork of its recently announced legacy franchise revivals Crazy Taxi, Golden Axe, Jet Set Radio, Shinobi, and Streets of Rage during its Management Meeting 2023 pr…
Nice, can't wait! Going by what is said about Streets of Rage Revolution it seems Axel, Blaze and Adam are the main characters since it says ex officers.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

I find it wild that, and this is an assumption purely from the artwork, that they'd give Lizard Cube Shinobi but not SOR5.
This new Shinobi looks more in line with Lizard Cube's expertise than what they are going for with SOR5. It is cool that they are spreading the talent around and not just repeating the same things over. SOR already got a modern glow up and now it can try something new.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020

I recall heaing (years ago) that Lizard Cube had lobbied to get Joe as a secret character in SOR, but Sega refused. Honestly, depending how everything shook out NTS, they could've done a lot to get Shinobi, and been silent on a SOR5.