• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
君たちはどう生きるか (Kimitachi wa Dou Ikiruka / How are you guys going to live).

The title is based off a book of the same title by Yoshino Genjaburo that came out on 1937.

The reason why the movie title is same as the book is because the book is important/meaningful to main character.

It will take about 3~4 years till completion.

http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASKBX5T4ZKBXUCLV008.html

Akahige

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking on the Japanese television program "Nichiyobi Bijitsukan (Sunday Art Gallery)," Toshio Suzuki explained that Miyazaki wanted to leave behind a feature dedicated to his grandson. According to Suzuki, "Miyazaki is making the new film for his grandson. It's his way of saying, 'Grandpa is moving on to the next world, but he's leaving behind this film.'"

www.indiewire.com/2017/10/hayao-miyazaki-comes-out-retirement-explained-1201890713/

This new-ish news as well?

GCX

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like it'll be on more serious side on the Miyazaki movie scale. I'm not too familiar with the book though.

Oct 27, 2017
I was a fan of The Wind Rises, but I'm hoping this will be a beautiful sign off from Miyazaki in the vein of Spirited Away or Totoro. Can't wait.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Guess he needs to pin his hopes on the grandson since we know how Goro turned out.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
3-4 years till completion, wow. Well, glad its coming. Name is a bit of a mouthful but I'm excited.

OP
OP
sinonobu

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
I was a fan of The Wind Rises, but I'm hoping this will be a beautiful sign off from Miyazaki in the vein of Spirited Away or Totoro. Can't wait.
I'm hoping for that as well, but considering the title and reference to the book, I feel like it's going to be similar to Wind Rises than Spirited Away/Totoro.

It should still be good though.

Monogatari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Miyazaki is making the new film for his grandson. It's his way of saying, 'Grandpa is moving on to the next world, but he's leaving behind this film.'"

That sounds just like a Miyazaki or Ghibli film itself!

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Miyazaki is never going to retire and that is incredible. Can't wait to see what this film looks like in the end.

Michael B

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
Cant Wait! I really enjoyed The Wind Rises the second time I watched it. I'm disappointed I missed my chance to visit the Ghibli museum when I was in japan because I didn't research ahead of time

Anteros

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in for a new Miyazaki movie. I really enjoyed The Wind Rises (and most of his other movies of course). I just watched Totoro with my kids last week actually.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I like making fun of Miyazaki for un-retiring like 5 times already, but I'm in for whatever he wants to make. I've been watching all Miyazaki movies in order with my mom, brother and gf and the man's ridiculously gifted. Can't wait!

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the retirement cake is going back into the freezer.

It's got to taste terrible by now over the past decades.

It will eventually be eaten soon...

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cant Wait! I really enjoyed The Wind Rises the second time I watched it. I'm disappointed I missed my chance to visit the Ghibli museum when I was in japan because I didn't research ahead of time

If you ever go back, it's absolutely worth it. If you're in Tokyo it's not very far.

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
3-4 to make? Then I will probably see it in 5 years when it comes on DVD/Blu Ray since no new Ghibli movies had screenings where I live.

Last edited:

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
That guy should have all the artistic freedom he can, although for me personally nothing topped mononoke.
Anyone knows what's this book about? Should it be an interesting movie?

Chaser

Oct 27, 2017
Suzuki's quote is wonderful. I'm so glad Miyazaki continues to be passionate about making films.

I came to find Studio Ghibli much later in life than I would have wanted, but they've been such a significant influence for me over the past few years. I was lucky enough to make it to the museum a couple years back, and I can't recommend that experience enough for fans of their work or animation in general.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed The Wind Rises. I'm okay with his final film being in the vein of his more serious films than the playful Totoro. Count me another with Mononoke being my jam though.

GCX

Oct 27, 2017
Hey now, Goro and Hayao don't hate each other anymore, or at least not quite as much as during the Earthsea days. I mean Hayao even wrote the script/screenplay for Goro's Poppy Hill.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Wind rises is probably my favourite ghibli movie depending on my mood. Happy if this would be something similar.

Mrfluffypuff

Oct 27, 2017
I still can't believe Miyasaki is still working on making films. Damn dude, you can just take it easy, lol.

Though, really looking forward to it.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That would be great but I feel like he just wants to make what he wants to make, and isn't concerned about a momentous conclusion to his legacy or something like that.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Looking forward to anything he or collaborators from the old studio do. Personally, I think he's one of the greatest artists and storytellers to have ever lived.

Is his grandson following in his footsteps?

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the plot of the book?

Still wishing for a Neverending Story film by Ghibli tho :(

Deleted member 9327

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So he backs out once again from retirement? Looking forward to this!
Does anyone know what's up with Ghibli? They only said they'll take a break and then try to figure out something for the future. Since then I haven't heard any news from Ghibli.

TheIcedP

Oct 27, 2017
Now I'm excited! I didn't know another Miyazaki film was coming out! I can definitely wait 4 years to see any one of his masterpieces.

turmoil7

Community Resettler - Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
The Wind Rises is one of my favorite movies ever and this man's dedication to his craft is a gift to humanity.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017