• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah my only hope is that they get rid of recycled vessel entirely and give us access to the dlc costumes right away.

Gotta change Kaine.

I'd be shocked if she doesnt eventually get a 2b costume as well.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Having never played this, is Popola's name intentional? Cuz in Spanish it's a term for "vagina." Just wondering if that's for narrative purposes

LMAO

No it wasnt intentional.

Although ironically I could make up a narrative purpose for this character with this name :p .

It's funny because her japanese name is popol. Which is a nickname for "dick" in French.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
What a shitty, embarrassing product in 2021. The fact people think this is okay is depressing tbh. If you aren't capable of telling a good story without jamming in tits and ass gratuitously then you aren't a good writer.

It's pathetic.

Last edited:

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
The worst thing about Kaine is that her name is pronounced "Kanye" instead of like "Kain"

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not surprised the majority of the thread is reacting to Kaine. OG wasn't as popular and now with Automata being so big, people who didn't play it can get a chance. It's my least favorite part of the title.

What I will say is those that really dislike her outfit I don't blame you but if you have a remote interest in the game, particularly if you liked Automata, I'd urge you to play it. The story, music and characters are fucking great.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
LMAO

No it wasnt intentional.

Although ironically I could make up a narrative purpose for this character with this name :p .

It's funny because her japanese name is popol. Which is a nickname for "dick" in French.

OK no way is it a coincidence if their name is both Vagina and Dick lol

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
What a shitty, embarrassing product in 2021. The fact people think this is okay is depressing tbh. If you aren't capable of telling a good story without jamming in tits and add gratuitously then you aren't a good writer.

It's pathetic.
It's purely to sell the game. Don't judge the quality of the writing on that otherwise you'll be missing out on some good shit.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not feeling the new Nier's voice. This is making me miss Papa Nier even more.

Hopefully they let us buy trophies like Automata. I'm not looking forward to doing that flower trophy again.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
NieR is one of my favorite games ever... but Kaine's outfit sucks. Hope they add more costumes (her DLC ones weren't ideal, either) so I can give her something better.

Yes... but also that's clearly devs making up bullshit reasons to give their characters hyper-sexualized outfits. Words and deeds.

That's their reasoning. I could care less personally. I think the outfit is dumb and unsexy on top of that, if that was their intention. I also don't really think they've ever tried to defend the outfit or felt the need to, just more of a story explanation on why she is the way she is.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
Nier wouldn't exploded like this if it weren't for the designs. My girlfriend didn't give a shit before and suddenly did with Automata and 2Bs design. Yeah Kaines open ass is pretty bad taste, but at least she is still a badass.

I also love Kainé and 2B, but they didn't need to be sexualized for the designs to work, male characters in gaming are an example of how you don't need to sexualize a character to make it well received or badass.

Also, if it's a necessity of his artistic expression to expose characters in revealing shapes, why not do it to men? How come I don't see hot men with their legs, tights, asses and bulges showing around? If Taro loves battle impractical heels so much why aren't badass male heroes using it too?

I understand the designs are aesthetically pleasing, but the sex in them and their restriction to women bodies, are not necessary for the success.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I also love Kainé and 2B, but they didn't need to be sexualized for the designs to work, male characters in gaming are an example of how you don't need to sexualize a character to make it well received or badass.

Also, if it's a necessity of his artistic expression to expose characters in revealing shapes, why not do it to men? How come I don't see hot men with their legs, tights, asses and bulges showing around? If Taro loves battle impractical heels so much why aren't badass male heroes using it too?

I understand the designs are aesthetically pleasing, but the sex in them and their restriction to women bodies, are not necessary for the success.

Preach

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017

Give Bro Nier a penis sheath that matches Kaine's individual boob dresses. In fact, dont even give him any other coverings whatsoever. Don't bulk him up either to prevent playing into any men's power trip prowess fantasies a la GoW. Flush out all these toxic people that low-key defend sexuallized outfits for women like this and force them to confront how uncomfortable it is to see someone that better represents you on-screen laid bare like this.

If Yoko Taro weren't so horny this is the exact kind of middle finger to his audience that he specializes in.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017

It's interesting to see the front on comparisons with Kaine's model (eg. first tweet with Brother!Nier). I'd thought when I first watched the gameplay trailer that Kaine had definitely gotten more Hartman Hip-y, but wasn't 100% sure. (Should I say Yoshida Hip-y?) What I like about her previous model was that she was more muscular/broad shouldered and looked more mature -- and both of her Japanese and English voice actresses reflected that in their performances. As a positive to Kainie's new model, her face is much more expressive. It also seems like they've lengthened her lingerie a tad so you don't see her underwear as much from the front, along with a slight breast reduction in line with Yoshida's, er, aesthetic personal preference in his concept art. (I doubt there will be much in the way of 'censorship!' calls regarding these changes, though, as you still have your female lead running around in her underwear with extreme butt cleavage, lol.)

So glad they fixed Brother!Nier's hair, jesus. That was a design choice.

'i'm gonna kill the shit outta you!'

ah, yes! just as cringy as i remember it...

As others have said, it's been altered from the original game, the original's ironically more toned down. (If it helps, I couldn't remember the exact dialogue in this scene, either, I just remembered Kaine being pissed.) I thought 'I'm gonna kill the shit outta you' was narmy. I don't mind the follow up 'hold still and die already', though, that sounds 100% like Kaine!

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Having never played this, is Popola's name intentional? Cuz in Spanish it's a term for "vagina." Just wondering if that's for narrative purposes
Nah, not intentional to my knowledge. The name for Popola and for Devola were based off a weapon from Drakengard, the Devolapopola, and I think he got that name from the dogs of someone he knew if I remember correctly.

Yeeaaaaah this excuse is getting really old and irksome as it was in Automata. And that bullshit story in the game wasn't anywhere good enough to excuse this.

To be fair, Yoko Taro hasn't ever really tried to justify it. I'm pretty sure he even outright said that he made 2B sexy because he likes sexy women, and with Kaine I think he said something about doing it because it was taboo to make overtly sexualized characters and actually talk about sex and stuff. Personally, I really respect his blatant honesty and the fact that he doesn't try to justify it outside of the game, instead letting the game speak for itself, compared to Kojima with Quiet

For what it's worth though, I feel that Replicant/Gestalt do a much better job of justifying Kaine's outrageous attire with some spoilery stuff (kind of?) and the fact that the characters in game even point out multiple times how stupid her attire is compared to 2B in Automata wherein it's mostly in the symbolism and subtext and feels much more like shitty fan service.

All that being said though, pretty much every in game justification for both characters could have been done without making the characters so sexualized, so it sucks that the designs just turn people away from the story telling, because I do quite enjoy the story telling in his games, but it's mostly in spite of the designs

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Completely agree. Love the original game but Kainé's design, regardless of the way the story tries to justify it, really didn't need to be the way it is to get the point of the her character across.

It specially sucks to me because of how amazing some of the concepts for her character design were. I said this before but damn do I wish they had some of these as unlockable costumes, but I know it won't happen...

8ae45d0339667e9b145de1e1b8ad38fb.png

cvpfQqx.jpg

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I was looking forward to this until I saw the first few seconds of this trailer. Kaines outfit is much much worse than 2B's. Are there alternative outfits at all for Kaine? Don't really want to play the game like this to be honest, will just feel awkward.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I'm very surprised at the amount of people who didn't know Kaine. Not excusing anything I'm just seeing it a lot more often now. OG Nier really didn't get enough attention.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
The gameplay and graphics are looking great. I never played the original game but I love Automata, so I'm looking forward to this a lot.

The music is so good...

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's purely to sell the game. Don't judge the quality of the writing on that otherwise you'll be missing out on some good shit.
Kaine's backstory doesn't justify the stupidity of the design either. Like if Quiet didn't exist Kaine would be the poster child for that anime fans vid posted on the last page, arguably even more so.

Oct 25, 2017
I love Kaine but I'd love to get some costume DLC for her as well.

Something like the costume A2 got in the Automata DLC would be great.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
That Kaine outfit is ridiculous lol

It's even worse than A2's scraps of clothing

I'm still looking forward to this game though. Automata was my favorite game of the gen, never got the chance to play the original Nier

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to finally playing and finishing this.

I borrowed a copy years ago, and didn't get very far, didn't even run into Kaine, so this will be a proper playthrough for me.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to finally playing and finishing this.

I borrowed a copy years ago, and didn't get very far, didn't even run into Kaine, so this will be a proper playthrough for me.

At least you played it. I bought a copy, expecting my friend to lend me their 360, but they forgot where they put it lol

So I was just this sad sack unable to play the copy I bought lol, eventually said fuck it and watched a YouTube playthrough in the lead up to Automata's release. Was still captivated, but it'll be nice to experience it for myself

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Justin McElroy doesn't review games anymore, so he can't write another review that ends with him ragequitting because he couldn't bother to read the fishing minigame controls.
It wasn't the controls. It was the fact that the guy who gives you the fishing rod and the mandatory quest is on a pier with a small beach, but the quest requires you to fish on a completely different beach on the other side of the city. If you try to fish at the beach where you're given the rod, you can fish and it will even hook something, but it will always fail to catch anything. Only by going to the correct beach can you catch anything. It's dumb and arbitrary and I got caught on it even coming in having heard about that review. Spent a solid hour fishing in vain, completely frustrated. It's a legit fault of the game.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't the controls. It was the fact that the guy who gives you the fishing rod and the mandatory quest is on a pier with a small beach, but the quest requires you to fish on a completely different beach on the other side of the city. If you try to fish at the beach where you're given the rod, you can fish and it will even hook something, but it will always fail to catch anything. Only by going to the correct beach can you catch anything. It's dumb and arbitrary and I got caught on it even coming in having heard about that review. It's a legit fault of the game.
I could swear he tells you to go to the beach.

Either way, that was a weird reason to ragequit a review.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I barely remember playing this on 360, but I recall liking it. So, I am excited for this.

What is the deal with that version being a father/daughter instead of brother/sister?

May 15, 2019
It wasn't the controls. It was the fact that the guy who gives you the fishing rod and the mandatory quest is on a pier with a small beach, but the quest requires you to fish on a completely different beach on the other side of the city. If you try to fish at the beach where you're given the rod, you can fish and it will even hook something, but it will always fail to catch anything. Only by going to the correct beach can you catch anything. It's dumb and arbitrary and I got caught on it even coming in having heard about that review. Spent a solid hour fishing in vain, completely frustrated. It's a legit fault of the game.
There's a big red X on your map telling you where to go just like every objective up to that point. I understand spending a few minutes not realizing you're in the wrong spot but at a certain point it's user error.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I love Nier, but that fishing mission is bullshit. I cannot hold it against Justin. Besides...

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Completely agree. Love the original game but Kainé's design, regardless of the way the story tries to justify it, really didn't need to be the way it is to get the point of the her character across.

It specially sucks to me because of how amazing some of the concepts for her character design were. I said this before but damn do I wish they had some of these as unlockable costumes, but I know it won't happen...

cvpfQqx.jpg

Check the new Nier smartphone game

AU98z6J.png

OqxFlFa.jpg

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Kaine's backstory doesn't justify the stupidity of the design either. Like if Quiet didn't exist Kaine would be the poster child for that anime fans vid posted on the last page, arguably even more so.
I agree. I hate when people bring up her backstory to explain it away because I don't think it makes much sense either. To me, the thing that makes more sense for why she wears that is just because of her personality.

I wish people would just admit it's another "sex sells" situation. That's the narrative they went with Automata and a lot of people were okay with it.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I love Laura Bailey being a potty mouth with Kaine. Lmao.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017

cvpfQqx.jpg

Oh my god I have never seen those concepts for Kainé before, I love them! Those could even be worked in her current color palette and it would work great.

Give Bro Nier a penis sheath that matches Kaine's individual boob dresses. In fact, dont even give him any other coverings whatsoever. Don't bulk him up either to prevent playing into any men's power trip prowess fantasies a la GoW. Flush out all these toxic people that low-key defend sexuallized outfits for women like this and force them to confront how uncomfortable it is to see someone that better represents you on-screen laid bare like this.

If Yoko Taro weren't so horny this is the exact kind of middle finger to his audience that he specializes in.

Yes, I do believe the greatest "offender" for these people would be to confront a male sexualized vulnerability within, the one portrayed in spite of personality traits, just for serving another's gaze, with that butt camera work we all know. Now make that a pattern like it's done to women in gaming, and we'll see the direction the discussion will go. Spoiler alert: SJWs will be accused of "cultural marxism", destroying games or whatever these bitches say these days.

Also, I intentionally used the word "hot" (as in the ideal social performance of shape and body) because that's how women are mostly and unfairly portrayed, creating the idea that their value is tied to that performance. So I wanted to see how that shift from the anime thin boy that perfectly represents the player, to an "ideal" muscular and fit Hollywood body expected from men, but highly sexualized, would impact these gamers. If I could guess, they'd say it's "gay" in an attempt to distance themselves from that bomb, but it's a bomb they're willing to throw at women for their own desires. I can see though that this would just be attacking back while also being equally toxic towards diversity at that, so I'd rather go with your idea of reducing the male power trip fantasies.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I agree. I hate when people bring up her backstory to explain it away because I don't think it makes much sense either. To me, the thing that makes more sense for why she wears that is just because of her personality.

I wish people would just admit it's another "sex sells" situation. That's the narrative they went with Automata and a lot of people were okay with it.
Mannn even with 2B people were on that "ACTUALLY" BS.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
There's a big red X on your map telling you where to go just like every objective up to that point. I understand spending a few minutes not realizing you're in the wrong spot but at a certain point it's user error.

No, it's a poorly design quest that is arbitrary, counter intuitive and requires you to turn off your common sense in favor of your minimap

mi1ntrW.png

The kicker: the minimap is not visible while you are fishing, so while you are fishing there is absolutely no indicator that you are fishing in the wrong spot.

mXH2psd.png

There is a ton to be said about how much work goes into designing games to be intuitive for the player so they don't have to rely solely on quest markers and minimaps, but this sequence of Nier somehow manages to use all of those subtle hints towards the wrong conclusion, leaving only the minimap to bail the player out. Saying "jUsT uSe tHe mInImAp lol" completely misses where the failure lies.

Last edited:

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
No, it's a poorly design quest that is arbitrary, counter intuitive and requires you to turn off your common sense in favor of your minimap

mi1ntrW.png

The kicker: the minimap is not visible while you are fishing, so while you are fishing there is absolutely no indicator that you are fishing in the wrong spot.

mXH2psd.png

I cannot believe people would defend this. I love the game but this part is bullshit.