• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
What's the point in the Switch if they are going to release a separate handheld?

Thought the idea was to combine all resources for a single platform.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Considering the possibilities doesn't mean shit. It won't happen if they see the Switch fulfilling it's purpose and selling well throughout the years.

The Switch is not going to sell Nintendo's average console + handheld numbers. It's too expensive for that. They need a $150-170 piece of hardware.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care how well the Wii sold. It went through some major droughts when it came to big games. I want to play games, don't care about executives and their wallets.
Well the wallets didn't even do that good at all with the followups of course, and I think it would be even worse if they still split them again.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
What's the point in the Switch if they are going to release a separate handheld?

Thought the idea was to combine all resources for a single platform.
A "3DS successor" doesn't have to be a separate platform altogether. When Nintendo says they want a 3DS successor they're saying they want something accessible in that price range.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck having a 3ds successor with no mainline pokemon.
You say that like TPCi isn't just going to immediately jump off onto the 'more-handheld' console. Having Pokemon be portable has always been a main priority, why do you think there's never been a mainline release on a console? The only reason Switch is getting one is because it's marketed as a 'hybrid'.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
You say that like TPCi isn't just going to immediately jump off onto the 'more-handheld' console. Having Pokemon be portable has always been a main priority, why do you think there's never been a mainline release on a console? The only reason Switch is getting one is because it's marketed as a 'hybrid'.
You seriously think they would go from the first hd pokemon, and then downgrade to making gen 9 on a like 540p or something handheld? Would be really odd with let's go getting this whole new audience, and then even more with the mainline games next year to just abandon that for a brand new handheld they won't even know how it will sell.

InteractiveSoftwareUser

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine that possibility would be something like a Switch Lite.

No detachable Joy-Cons, no HD rumble, no dock. Lower price, runs every Switch game. Hits the target market they're looking for, without splitting development resources.

Kind of like how the 2DS cut down on key features of the 3DS to lower the price and appeal to kids.
Well put. This is the first time a Switch Lite has ever made sense to me.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Just stick to one system please.

I'm tired of these droughts because they can't support both at one time.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
My assumption: Smaller Switch. Doesn't come with a dock, but might still have a purchasable dock accessory. Joycons may be attached, or they might simply make smaller joycons for it. Will still be compatible with other joycons, though possibly not by attaching them to the system. Will probably not have too much smaller of a screen so that HUD won't look awful, though may also allow developers to resize their HUD for the Switch mini. Possibly longer battery life.

Quo Vadis

Oct 27, 2017
Can we start a poll to see who wants a successor for the 3DS? I know I don't and I believe the majority don't as well, but I'm curious.

The Switch seems to be Nintendo's perfect successor to their portable console business ...I just don't get it.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Give me a $100-$200 Virtual Console Portable and you have my wallet.
that's p much what my 2ds xl already is, I just downloaded a bunch of nes/snes/gb/gbc games on it and take that with me more than i do my switch

also got ocarina of time and Majoras mask remasters digitally on there

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't do it Nintendo. You have proven for the last 20 years that you cannot support 2 platforms.

Once the tech is there, make a smaller Switch meant to be super portable.

And yet they did for more than 20 years with at least 30 titles per year, being the publisher with most published titles. Funny.

Either way, the discussion on this thread is worthless.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll take Nintendo supporting the 3DS until 2030 over any kind of successor, please don't. I hope this is all talk and they just strengthen their mobile presence instead.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
You seriously think they would go from the first hd pokemon, and then downgrade to making gen 9 on a like 540p or something handheld?
Like Pokemon (or Nintendo, for that matter) cares about having the most advanced graphics. Portability is a design principle for Pokemon, keeping your game with you and meeting up with friends, that's one of their core concepts. If a portable system meets that need better than the Switch, then absolutely they'll change over.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
"Considering various possibilities" could really mean anything. I might actually buy a 3DS Micro - like the old GBA Micro - if they did that. Those things are just look cool.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
Can we start a poll to see who wants a successor for the 3DS? I know I don't and I believe the majority don't as well, but I'm curious.

The Switch seems to be Nintendo's perfect successor to their portable console business ...I just don't get it.
Because you're thinking it's going to be something other than a Switch in a smaller cheaper formafactor that plays the exact same games.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
id kill for the addition of GBA digital purchases on my 2ds xl

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Like Pokemon (or Nintendo, for that matter) cares about having the most advanced graphics. Portability is a design principle for Pokemon, keeping your game with you and meeting up with friends, that's one of their core concepts. If a portable system meets that need better than the Switch, then absolutely they'll change over.
What about the fact that we don't even know how the 4ds will sell? What if it's even less than the switch? They are just going to abandon what is currently on pace to already outsell the xbone within like a year and a half for a lesser handheld?

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What about the fact that we don't even know how the 4ds will sell? What if it's even less than the switch? They are just going to abandon what is currently on pace to already outsell the xbone within like a year and a half for a lesser handheld?
You are probably reading too much into it. Considering possibilities does not mean amount to much until you plan something concrete.
Also, even if they decide to try a direct 3ds successor someday, it would not even be ready for most of the switch lifecycle since console R&D takes a lot of time.

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of people would be happy with some sort of 3DS successor. Having a budget minded successor that could possibly play switch games albeit at a lower visual fidelity would be crazy (and probably not happen).

Ninferno

Nov 6, 2017
What cowardly and confusing PR bullcrap is this. Just man the hell up, Nintendo. The DS (and to a lesser extent, 3DS) crowd aren't coming back in this age of mobile domination. Stop pretending you have a slim chance of replicating the DS success story anymore; the ship has sailed, long ago. Portable home console is the only viable thing to do here onward and you fit the right niche there and are seeing good results. Live with that reality and stop trying to please everyone which will only result in confusion and anger of your real base and nothing else.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What cowardly and confusing PR bullcrap is this. Just man the hell up, Nintendo. The DS (and to a lesser extent, 3DS) crowd aren't coming back in this age of mobile domination. Stop pretending you have a slim chance of replicating the DS success story anymore; the ship has sailed, long ago. Portable home console is the only viable thing to do here onward and you fit the right niche there and are seeing good results. Live with that reality and stop trying to please everyone which will only result in confusion and anger of your real base.

Jesus Christ

Oct 27, 2017
I am all for keeping a backup plan or exploring technologies, but I don't think making a 3DS successor is a good idea at this point. They need to stay focused on the Switch. Perhaps next gen they can consider it based on their approach to the home console.

Miles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
I could see a Switch Mini but there's no way they'll make a separate handheld when the Switch can already act as one. The Switch is the future of Nintendo for the next decade or so.

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
I'm down. Give me that little 3DS HD.

I love my Switch, but I also just don't find it that portable, which is my favorite way to play games.

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
giphy_12.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care how well the Wii sold. It went through some major droughts when it came to big games. I want to play games, don't care about executives and their wallets.
Threads like these would go better if people just owned the fact that they were being selfish. Good for you.

Thinking back to 5 year old me that got a $80 gameboy. No way in hell would my mom haven't given me a Switch at it's current price. Maybe it's Switch lite, maybe it's a 3DS++, maybe it's nothing. We'll see.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
What cowardly and confusing PR bullcrap is this. Just man the hell up, Nintendo. The DS (and to a lesser extent, 3DS) crowd aren't coming back in this age of mobile domination. Stop pretending you have a slim chance of replicating the DS success story anymore; the ship has sailed, long ago. Portable home console is the only viable thing to do here onward and you fit the right niche there and are seeing good results. Live with that reality and stop trying to please everyone which will only result in confusion and anger of your real base and nothing else.

I dunno why some ppl are utterly horrified at the prospect of a 3DS successor. This is a ridiculous post

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mr. Furukawa, 3DS's successor is already on the market and it's called Nintendo Switch. Nintendo already struggled a lot in these recent years (and decades) because you weren't able to properly support two platforms at once, leaving droughts and prematurely killing a console lifetime in order to support a successor to either consoles and portables. Not just Nintendo, Sony wasn't able either to support both a home console and a portable. Wanna an advice? Concentrate all Nintendo efforts at one platform, like it is now.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Mr. Furukawa, 3DS's successor is already on the market and it's called Nintendo Switch. Nintendo already struggled a lot in these recent years (and decades) because you weren't able to properly support two platforms at once, leaving droughts and prematurely killing a console lifetime in order to support a successor to either consoles and portables. Not just Nintendo, Sony wasn't able either to support both a home console and a portable. Wanna an advice? Concentrate all Nintendo efforts at one platform, like it is now.

Why the "you" ? How is Furukawa involved ?

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So...is anyone else like, not at all concerned about this? Like, it's a nothing statement, not the "Nintendoom" panicking half this thread seems to think it is.