• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Agreed. It's so completely obvious that they could do a price cut and have a great 2023 and launch in 2024 comfortably. Any comparisons to the Wii are completely moot. Context matters, and this is not that situation.
Nobody is saying that the Switch is going through a late-life Wii situation right now, but rather than Nintendo would probably want to avoid repeating the situation by not waiting until sales almost completely die out & the iron cools.

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
I also think that Spring 2024 would be the perfect spot for Switch 2 launch.

Switch HW sales will be still good in 2023, but there will for sure be another decline. I think Switch will sell another 14-15 mio. units in 2023. In 2024, these sales would keep on dropping and will eventually reach a level under 10 mio. bar. So I think its reasonable to spot the Switch 2 into March/April 2024, because at that time, Switch 1 will still be in a good sales range on the one side, but on the other side will definetly reach its final lifecycle phasis.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I also think that Spring 2024 would be the perfect spot for Switch 2 launch.

Switch HW sales will be still good in 2023, but there will for sure be another decline. I think Switch will sell another 14-15 mio. units in 2023. In 2024, these sales would keep on dropping and will eventually reach a level under 10 mio. bar. So I think its reasonable to spot the Switch 2 into March/April 2024, because at that time, Switch 1 will still be in a good sales range on the one side, but on the other side will definetly reach its final lifecycle phasis.
It might have to be May of next year if Spring 2024 is the plan. Any earlier & they may have to announce it before the holidays, which would actually kill Switch 1 sales for Black Friday.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
It might have to be May of next year if Spring 2024 is the plan. Any earlier & they may have to announce it before the holidays, which would actually kill Switch 1 sales for Black Friday.

With the switch they only had a teaser trailer in late 2016 with the full announcement in January 2017 with release in March. They could get away with not having the teaser trailer and announce the new console in January. I think Nintendo would like to get it out in March to give a boost to their tax year revenue. I expect some very good deals later this year to push stock in preparation for switch 2 release.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry did

So it looks like Switch Hardware declined. 22% that can't be right

Ranking doesn't mean anything. That's why I didn't understand all the comments claiming switch isn't slowing down just because it was number 1 in December. Sales are amazing for a 6th year of a console but sales are definitely slowing.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Ranking doesn't mean anything. That's why I didn't understand all the comments claiming switch isn't slowing down just because it was number 1 in December. Sales are amazing for a 6th year of a console but sales are definitely slowing.
Context matters. Sales declining after two years of a pandemic isn't really surprising. This year was still better than PS4 at its peak for example.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
Context matters. Sales declining after two years of a pandemic isn't really surprising. This year was still better than PS4 at its peak for example.

Sales are still dropping and your example shows that rank doesn't matter. Number 1 in a year can be less than Number 3 in another year.

Unless you think sales aren't going to drop again next year then I don't think bringing up the pandemic affects my point.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I understand the argument Nintendo doesn't really need to release a switch, I have made the same argument myself. But at a certain point, its just smart business sense to take the advantage of momentum into a new generation. The WII was dead in its final year, and while I doubt the Wii-U would have done much anyway, that certainly didn't help. There is sound advice in getting the next one out while the current one is still popular.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Wait doesn't Grand Theft Auto 5 usually chart in the top 20 every year?

Or am I just behind the times?

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

NPD is based on revenue and GTA is extremely cheap now. It still sells well, it was on playstation top downloads for the year, but it would be hard for it to break into the top 20 now for NPD.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
NPD is based on revenue and GTA is extremely cheap now. It still sells well, it was on playstation top downloads for the year, but it would be hard for it to break into the top 20 now for NPD.
I was surprised it was not there. I am used to always seeing COD, Madden, FIFA and GTA no matter the year.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Sales are still dropping and your example shows that rank doesn't matter. Number 1 in a year can be less than Number 3 in another year.

Unless you think sales aren't going to drop again next year then I don't think bringing up the pandemic affects my point.
Switch was the best selling systems for the last 5 years, so yeah the rank matters despite slower sales it's still the best selling system.

If it was selling worse or even much worse than the competition, it would be more of an issue for Nintendo.

Sales slowing down for a system in it's 6th or 7th year is all but expected, as long as there is no steep drop and they continue to be competitive, don't see where people see the issue.

It's not gonna go from over 5m in 2022 to sub 3m in 2023 or something like that. Switch is probably one of these systems with the most consistent sales curve in years.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

I was surprised it was not there. I am used to always seeing COD, Madden, FIFA and GTA no matter the year.

Take 2 digital data isn't included anymore.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
System launches aren't determined by such recent sales results. If Switch 2 releases in 2023 or 2024, it was decided a year or more ago. Switch still doing well isn't going to move launch dates

Rotimi

Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
Honestly curious to know what Nintendo will do going forward. They may have declined by 18-20% in hardware sales. Software is great but do they want to leave it at that.

Hmmm I am still expecting an announcement this year. Been flip flopping but I think they will. Unless they have a price drop and a killer lineup. The holiday sales may not be fantastic

Last edited:

OCL

Banned
Jun 17, 2022
So with all the price cuts to the Series S and MS flooding the market with them…why aren't they moving more? What's the story there?
The story is that people's are more intersted by a PS5 or a Switch because you can argue that the Xbox is currently... not a really good console (and the vast majority don't Care about gamepass, that's a gamer niche thing)

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
System launches aren't determined by such recent sales results. If Switch 2 releases in 2023 or 2024, it was decided a year or more ago. Switch still doing well isn't going to move launch dates

Of course Nintendo could delay the launch of Switch 2 by a noticeable period if Switch 1 hw sales are still 'too good'. Maybe they planned to release the Switch in early 2024, but will shift it then to late 2024, because Switch 1 keeps on selling well.

The other way around (releasing a new hardware earlier than expected) is obviously not easily possible as you mentioned.

Last edited:

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
Midnight Suns not tracking at all, even with Gotham Knights still on there, is absolutely fucking tragic. Heartbreaking to see that game fail to find an audience.
Im a big fan of that team and their work on X-Com. Loads of my friends are as well. We completely skipped Midnight Suns due to the card based gameplay. I have 0 interest in playing a strategy game that has that in it.

Looking forward to the day modders strip it out and put in a strategy gameplay system I can genuinely enjoy.

Kaesebrot

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 7, 2022
So CoD actually did end up beating Elden Ring's year worth of sales with about 2 months of sales.

A game people could not stop talking about as possibly the best game of all time beaten by a yearly shooter. CoD is truly in a league of its own.
That's why some people consider it an essential input.

(scnr)

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
To be fair, this is in dollar sales and Elden Ring is $60 vs $70 for COD (even up to $100, which a LOT of people bought). I believe Elden Ring sold more than Vanguard did? MW2 was exceptionally hyped up too.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
If they really want to counteract Sonic as a "budget" buy, they would need to release the next game during the summer instead of the holidays where there is little competition for them to discount the game so soon in the first place, in addition to score really well with the gaming media.
Releasing before the holiday period is a good idea. I dunno if SEGA will be willing to try it though. The game has to review very well for that to be worthwhile.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017

Still ignoring context

Well... was the Series S discounted that way or did it had price cuts too? If it did then the Switch can still perform better with discounts during the holidays/BF I think, at least for the next 2 years.
Series S very much had discounts all through the holiday season, and even offered GCs to go with some free items for Epic's trio of f2p titles on certain bundles.

Nintendo found out that they don't need to ever drop the price on the Switch beyond the availability of the Switch Lite to maintain their incredible sales momentum, so they don't.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Came for Sonic, did not leave disappointed. Well deserved, excited for the DLC roadmap and hopefully this success guarantees Sonic Team is given more budget/resources/time next time.

So much of Frontiers' dev time was spent inventing a new formula that a sequel getting to build off of that and go wild with the concept could be truly something special. We haven't really been able to see a Sonic game iterate on just one idea since the Genesis days.

NPD Console Sales Leak

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox sales are quite bad considering how hard they went on the Series S bundles.
MS needs to drop big system sellers - Sony and Nintendo having things already set up for this year with TotK and Spiderman 2.
Doesn't Sonic always sell best on Nintendo, by far?
The point was that its selling quite well even compared to the big first party Nintendo releases.
In the past it could have been the best selling SKU on Switch while not even being in the Top 10 - Frontiers is a different kind of beast though.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
If Microsoft doesn't pick it up, we might end up this generation with PS5 having better market share than PS4 while Microsoft spent a ton of money in studios and selling Series S at a massive loss. Xbox One will haunt Xbox for a long time.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I mean yeah...Its was quite a turn around from the beginning of the year vs the last half of the year for the PS5. Even as someone who just plays the prediction game and takes notes form the way more informed ppl, it was obvious the PS5 was doing better as the year went on.

Series console numbers are interesting.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
If Microsoft doesn't pick it up, we might end up this generation with PS5 having better market share than PS4 while Microsoft spent a ton of money in studios and selling Series S at a massive loss. Xbox One will haunt Xbox for a long time.
Ecosystem entrenchment is having a big effect and probably not going to get any easier for them.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Ecosystem entrenchment is having a big effect and probably not going to get any easier for them.
For real. I've always been one that doesn't believe exclusives have much of an affect on console purchasing decisions from the majority of consumers. However, having your digital library tied to a platform that all your friends are on might just kill any chance that a competitor is pulling that player away.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Honestly, until the holidays, the Series numbers weren't too bad. Now that Sony isn't having as much trouble meeting demand I'm very curious to see what happens. Of my irl friends, all of them who play on console bought a PS5. I'm the only one of my friend group who owns a Series X (though I loaned it to another friend who doesn't really play games). There's no denying the PS5 is in high demand. I think it'll take time for Microsoft to get that mindshare back, and they've got to have the GOW, Spider-Man, and TLOU caliber games that really capture mainstream and hardcore audiences.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Xbox needs some heaters. Sony's pretty confident they've solved their supply issues so they'll only be accelerating from here. Gotta see what sort of impact games like Starfield have on this trajectory