BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
Thanks to StephenNotStrange for bringing this up in the other Zelda Thread, the actual source being

www.gamereactor.eu

New Nintendo patent unveils more about Zelda: BOTW 2 gameplay

The free fall system for example is much more developed than we think.

3 mechanics are explained, which seem to point to these being central to the Sequel to The Legend of the Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

Free Falling
Phase-Through Terrain
and Rewind

In a first patent, published under number 20210370175 at WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organization), we discovered the conditions to accomplish the ability to go through a suspended platform from below to its surface, as we could observe it in the trailer. It proves that it will be possible to perform this action freely, and not at a given and pre-established point, as one might have feared.

legendzelda_3666883.jpg

legendzelda_3666893.jpg

Then, the patent US20210370178 also addresses a mechanism already exposed in the trailer. Thanks to the video shared this summer by Nintendo, the most observant had noticed that Link was going to be endowed with a new power, a kind of "Rewind" function to apply to objects. We see from this patent that the object goes back in time in a same way, in reverse, that in its last movement with a representation of the power by a gauge. We can easily imagine that tons of puzzles in a style loved by fans of the series will be based on this.

legendzelda_3666903.jpg

legendzelda_3666913.jpg

Last but not least, the file under number US20210370179 reveals that the free falling will be much more developed than one might have expected. Not only will our character be able to take several positions but also to shoot with his bow during it. More precisely, Link will have the possibility of falling backward but also diving. This aerial gymnastics is obviously inspired by the acrobatic performances of parachutists, and possibility to shoot with the bow, even while free falling, promises to deliver charismatic and exciting combats in the air.
70sZBFJ.png

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I was pretty sure the phasing through cliffs was going to be player controlled and not context sensitive. This game is going to be wild just based on that addition alone.

Deleted member 20986

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds a lot of fun, but huh? you can patent game mechanics?

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Time travel mechanic would be killer.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I had no idea they did patens for game design concepts. I always thought patens where just for concepts for physical inventions and hardwares. I mean it makes sense they do but I didn't realise they did.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
The phasing through floating surfaces and freefalling bow combat patents are wild. Should be fascinating to see what they've come up with for this game.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
at least one boss ur gonna have to kill free-falling shooting downward with the bow

probably ganon

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Guess the last trailer showed off the main mechanics, but not to this detail. I expected the free-falling to be identical to what was in Skyward Sword.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds a lot of fun, but huh? you can patent game mechanics?
Yup. Bandai Namco held a patent for minigames during loading screens for several years. It's why the re-releases of Ōkami on Wii and PS3 omitted the ones from the PS2 version. Thankfully, the patent expired prior to the most recent re-releases.

But yeah, being able to patent game mechanics is dumb as hell. Shouldn't be allowed.

Deleted member 20986

Oct 28, 2017
Yup. Bandai Namco held a patent for minigames during loading screens for several years. It's why the re-releases of Ōkami on Wii and PS3 omitted the ones from the PS2 version. Thankfully, the patent expired prior to the most recent re-releases.

But yeah, being able to patent game mechanics is dumb as hell though. Shouldn't be allowed.

Wow that's surprising. I thought since games tend to take inspiration from one another, they're not allowed.

Anyway, BOTW really spoiled me for open world games. Forbidden West is showing off fancy new graphical effects but all I'm thinking is, I just want to climb everywhere, chop down and pick fruit from any tree and be able to roll a fruit down a hill. Well, I suppose having a handglider is a start.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
The level of interactivity is next level. I can't wait to explore all the traversal and combat options. The midair combat in particular looks so cool.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Seem really cool. There has to be at least one fully midair boss fight where you make use of all these falling mechanics, or enemies that chase you when transitioning between the sky and the ground. I can't wait to see more.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Has Nintendo patented game mechanics like this before? Seems really odd that they would do this. The implication is that other game developers can't use these mechanics in their game? But then, what about games that already use the rewind concept?

But, seeing this gets me really excited for the BotW sequel. Oh, the possibilities.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
How did they patent mechanics like Rewind and Free fall when it was already in many older games ?

Oct 25, 2017
Copying my post from the other thread

The phase thing is neat, but I'm wondering how they will design around it. Make it too powerful and risk making climbing and other traversal redundant. Mainly I hope that it doesn't rule out hookshot. They could even complement each other, hookshot to a wall to get close, then phase through it. Or maybe they're even part of the same power. Press once to pull towards, and hold to phase.

Edit: also fuck patenting game mechanics, that's so scummy.

Last edited:

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Shoutouts to Raven Software and the 360 era classic Singularity that did that very same time machine mechanic if I'm reading this correctly.

Any chance for me to say Fuck Activision, but I digress.