IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
A bit OT: can you share games on PS5 like the PS4 with setting up the default user on a console? Friend is thinking about getting the digital "slim".
Yep. It won't sign you out if they log on to download something too, which is a nice little QOL change, outside of that works exactly the same.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I think it may actually be the gap since it's clear and you just push it down. But I guess we really won't know until there's videos of it.

I know it's not definitive because it's open to interpretation, but I do believe the official text seems to imply it's a separate stand that's not built into the system:

A horizontal stand will be included with the new PS5 model. Also a new Vertical Stand compatible with all PS5 models will be sold separately at 29.99 USD | 29.99 EURO | 24.99 GBP | 3,980 JPY.

Jan 18, 2021
Can you copy a game on one ps5 bought by someone else then copy to your ps5 and buy the game on your account and have the game play or do you still have to download and install it?

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
The kickstand is a terrible, band-aid design solution that I would expect from a budget hardware manufacturer, but to some extent so was the original plastic stand.

I would love to know what happened to PlayStation's design team. Sony used to be known for their hardware quality and design excellence. Was there a big purge or exodus of design talent during development of the budget-conscious PS4?

Oct 27, 2017
Can you copy a game on one ps5 bought by someone else then copy to your ps5 and buy the game on your account and have the game play or do you still have to download and install it?
You can't copy, you can only move game files. So someone will have to download again. But it should work; the game will most likely show up with a padlock symbol until you buy it. I'm guessing you're planning to move with an external hard drive, correct?

Griffy

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's not definitive because it's open to interpretation, but I do believe the official text seems to imply it's a separate stand that's not built into the system:
See my post from the previous page:
I'm not convinced this is just a kick stand, or a "prong" or whatever. The blog post specifies that: "A horizontal stand will be included with the new PS5 model."

So I think this is a stand insert that goes in the "crack" on the underside of the PS5. If I had to guess it is actually shaped something like this:
Cd1g4TR.jpg

Nov 8, 2017
A little bit adjacent to this announcement itself but the price increase / flattening I think is a good illustration that the previous comments about ps5 being per unit profitable were probably borderline and things may have even reversed since then with the digital not being so.

We saw Microsoft's 2022 expectations for a 2024 slim refresh being the same price as they launched at, so I think this is all part of the same trend that we were warned of ahead of time, ie that cost savings throughout the generation are very meagre. In some regions we already saw price increases because the normal fluctuations of currency that always over a gen were not offset by dropping component costs over time like they usually are.

I'm pretty nervous about the pricing of a 2028 next gen system from both vendors. Future nodes are going to be even more expensive. AMD and Nvidia have started shipping extemely anaemic chips at their budget ranges and they aren't always clear upgrades over older stuff in those categories despite the price. I'll certainly be keeping an eye on Nintendo next. Part of what makes Consoles viable is that they maintain relatively modest pricing.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
looking back, I feel like I got pretty lucky picking up a PS5 DE at launch for $399.99. still working just fine. I'll probably skip this and upgrade to the inevitable Pro that comes out next year.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
God damn.. Why would they keep this hideous design!?

And tha kickstand.. What the hell.

Laephis

Jun 25, 2021
I was considering finally getting around to a PS5 with a slim model, but this thing is so disappointing that I'll continue waiting.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
See my post from the previous page:

Ya, I think this is likely rather than it being built in. There's clearly nothing there when they show the panel removed and they aren't going to have a weird looking thing permanently attached when it's vertical either I would imagine. So I think you're right that it's something that just fits within the gap but is a separate piece.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
You probably know but you can just take out that inner separating wall for more space. Of course you'd still need the horizontal stand for 29.99 extra...
Horizontal stand is included.

Interesting that it works for the original too. I think it looks way nicer than the current stand. May actually buy this

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Sony used to be known for their hardware quality and design excellence. Was there a big purge or exodus of design talent during development of the budget-conscious PS4?
I would say it's the exact opposite as they seem to be flaunting their hardware deign these days with all the official teardown video's they been posting (starting back on the PS4 Pro).

They never had official teardown videos highlighting how the hardware is designed/constructed before. I think they're quite proud of their recent work (however you might feel).

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Wonder what happens with the plate situation. Will Sony be making new plates? I doubt the old plates will work on the new model.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Wonder what happens with the plate situation. Will Sony be making new plates? I doubt the old plates will work on the new model.
per the blog, new plates will be sold for the revision sometime early in 2024.
blog.playstation.com

New look for PS5 console this holiday season

Smaller PS5 design comes with 1TB storage for PS5 and PS5 Digital Edition; new model provides option to add an Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Drive to PS5 Digital Edition.
A variety of PS5 Console Cover colors for the new model will be available starting in early 2024, including an all-matte Black colorway and the Deep Earth Collection colors in Volcanic Red, Cobalt Blue, and Sterling Silver. Prices for the PS5 Console Covers will start at 54.99 USD | 54.99 EURO | 44.99 GBP | 7,480 JPY. Additional colors will be released in the future.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I guess I'll be getting this. My PS5 died last month and I'm been thinking of getting a new one if the repairs is going to cost me a lot.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
People hated the stand when the Og was announced and now people are complaining that it's not included when it's not necessary to use with this revision?

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
the industrial design on that disk version is atrocious. I refuse to believe this was designed in Japan. No way would they have let this leave the building.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
I don't know, I think that somehow it looks even worse, which is an achievement I guess. At least it's smaller.

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they should have 4 SKUs instead?

disc drive with horizontal stand
disc drive with vertical stand
digital with horizontal stand
digital with vertical stand