GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
I dont think this has ever been showed to the public before.

View: https://twitter.com/CAPCOM_AWT/status/1588372965728473088

Fgiv7CqUYAEXyug

Fgiv7CrUcAImeB2

Fgiv7CrUcAAMkAr

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like some of these might have turned into proper characters. The violent New York detective could have been a precursor to Alex, the pankration guy to Gill or Urien, the ninja to Ibuki, the street dancer to Elena.

Actually, I think it calls the New York detective "American Ryu"?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Velociraptor
New York violent detective
Pankration guy
Jujitsu user (I think?)
Ninja
Islamic djinn
Rollerblade
Trickster (Not sure about this? I think it might be a concept similar to FANG)
Maachin (No idea what this is supposed to mean, looks like a goblin)
Professor
Businessman
Flying taekwondo
Street dancer
Marionette master
Assassin

Last edited:

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly it seems more like Darkstalkers for the most part.

A velociraptor would have been cool though. Dinosaurs are always good, even in settings where they make no sense.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
guy with leaf over his dick? hell yea brother

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
yeah, most of them looks way too much darkstalkers

that being said

t5ye8RS.png

I want to know what capcom would have done if they choose this dude, like a more serious norimaru maybe ?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I think it says that the assassin is supposed to be "Shinkiro style"? At the time, Shinkiro was at SNK, so I guess this idea might have turned into Remy, who feels like an Iori knockoff. No, wait, I think I'm getting confused. It says shinkirou technique, which I guess would be mirages.

Hideo Shimazu from Rival Schools is noted to be designed by Akiman for a different game and then used for Rival Schools after the director of that game asked to use the design, so I think there's a good chance that this businessman is actually Hideo Shimazu. I don't know if that means he'd have retained the Gundam joke if he was still in Street Fighter 3. If he was going to have Ryu's fighting style, I guess he was replaced with Ryu.

latest

Last edited:

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like designs from the game it was going to be before they decided to turn it into SFIII?

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The poison hand guy in the second image is absolutely FANG.

Bowling Pin

One Winged Slayer
Dec 9, 2017
This seems like designs from the game it was going to be before they decided to turn it into SFIII?

That's what I'm thinking also. It's fascinating to know that Next Generation was originally completely unrelated to Street Fighter at all. I think this was mainly comprised of the former Dungeons & Dragons arcade game team? I'd love to know more about what direction they were originally headed, even if I love what eventually became of it.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
love how inbetween all the not-darkstalkers characters, there's just some dude.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, The New Generation was literally planned to be just a new franchise for a while, during the brief "Ryu isn't in it" phase. So it makes sense that the characters would be quite out there.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Taking out the characters who seem to map up to these ones, New Generations introduced Dudley, Necro, Oro, and Sean. Maybe I'm wrong, but aside from Oro, all of those seem like they're meant to be a take on an archetype introduced by earlier Street Fighter games, so I guess it would make sense for them to be added later if the game was retooled as a Street Fighter game a little ways in?

Vourlis

Aug 14, 2022
United States
Definitely some interesting explorations. The Adonis, Joe?, and Dork characters are kinda neat but yeah a little too wild for the most part.

Last edited:

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
bring back spinning guy
the other image above it makes me think he flew away spinning like that and i want to see that in a game

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hideo Shimazu from Rival Schools is noted to be designed by Akiman for a different game and then used for Rival Schools after the director of that game asked to use the design, so I think there's a good chance that this businessman is actually Hideo Shimazu. I don't know if that means he'd have retained the Gundam joke if he was still in Street Fighter 3. If he was going to have Ryu's fighting style, I guess he was replaced with Ryu.

latest

View: https://twitter.com/VGDensetsu/status/1588463777531703302

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
My translation of the names and the notes beneath or above each char:

Velociraptor
Violent New York Detective: "Aikido fighter. American Ryu."
Pankration Man
Jiujitsu Fighter: "Only fights with throws and joint locks. Has a beautiful wife"

Ninja
Islamic Devil
Rollerblade
Poison Hand Man
Martin (My comment: Martin has the same name and design as a mutated mandrill enemy from the manga Baoh, by JoJo author Hirohiko Araki.)
Professor

Business Man
Flier: "Tae Kwon Do"
Street Dancer: "Practices Capoeira, Brazil's legendary martial art. Mainly attacks with his feet. Does all of his moves upside down"
Marionette Master
Assassin: "Mirage tricks. Assassin that uses Praying Mantis"

---

It's worth noting that SF3 originally didn't start development as an SF game, but as something else entirely.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
"Ma" means magic as well as demon. You sometimes see it used in reference to djinns, which I suspect is being done here. See Hakushon Daimaoh, who certainly doesn't seem like the typical demon lord trope.

This is super weird. It was said in Gamest magazine around when Rival Schools released that Hideo was designed by Akiman, they weren't trying to hide that fact. Around Street Fighter V there was an interview with Hideaki Itsuno where again credits Akiman for the character, saying that he asked to use it. So how does that work? Maybe Itsuno asked some other key staff member on Street Fighter 3 who gave him the design without asking Akiman?

Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is super weird. It was said in Gamest magazine around when Rival Schools released that Hideo was designed by Akiman, they weren't trying to hide that fact. Around Street Fighter V there was an interview with Hideaki Itsuno where again credits Akiman for the character, saying that he asked to use it. So how does that work? Maybe Itsuno asked some other key staff member on Street Fighter 3 who gave him the design without asking Akiman?

I don't really see a contradiction. I interpreted it as Itsuno crediting Akiman for the character in Rival Schools but without having asked Akiman for permission to use that design. I don't think there was ever an intent to hide Akiman's name. They just didn't ask him.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really see a contradiction. I interpreted it as Itsuno crediting Akiman for the character in Rival Schools but without having asked Akiman for permission to use that design. I don't think there was ever an intent to hide Akiman's name. They just didn't ask him.
Itsuno explicitly said that he asked to use the design though.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
For Street Fighter V? I was talking about Rival Schools.
The interview was around the time of Street Fighter V, it covered multiple titles. He was talking about the design decisions in Rival Schools in that section. Here's the relevant quote.
英雄※8は別のタイトルで
安田さんが描かれていたのを
「使わせてくれませんか?」とお願いしました。
Yasuda-san drew the hero for another title, and asked if I could use it in my game.
"The hero" is a mistake in the official translation, that's what Hideo's name means. The Japanese version of the page explicitly tags it with an annotation identifying it as Hideo.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The interview was around the time of Street Fighter V, it covered multiple titles. He was talking about the design decisions in Rival Schools in that section. Here's the relevant quote.

"The hero" is a mistake in the official translation, that's what Hideo's name means. The Japanese version of the page explicitly tags it with an annotation identifying it as Hideo.

Well in that case Itsuno probably took the design without asking, then Akiman noticed it and complained, then Itsuno formally asked Akiman for permission.