we live
we die
it's a part of life

let me enjoy my memories through drink

Camstun187

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
China
I always feel like shit whenever I drink (which is about once every two months).

I quit drinking regularly about a year ago and now, if I do, it's top-shelf stuff (Laguvulin, Grey goose, etc..)

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
Please tell me this is sarcasm or some meme or something. Cringed hard as fuck.

Anyway, if I've learned anything from the internet it is that everything is unsafe. Bottoms up.

First off, I like your Avatar name. Second off, it seems you are not ready to fully understand what I wrote. One day you'll understand. You can do yourself a favor and take a short cut by doing what I wrote. Oh, and start exercising and eating well. It will do wonders for the quality of your life.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I severely cut back somewhat recently. I have a friend who comes over once in a while (maybe every 3 weeks), and we split a six pack. It used to be...a lot. I have felt much better after the cut, and have lost weight as well.

I hear this constantly. All the time on the news, because it's a really easy thing to report and anyone will catch on to it. 'Oh did you know that one glass of red wine and two cigars a day is FANTASTIC for your heart?'

I think it all stemmed from some study a guy at my school did which later turned out to be falsified. I still cling to the delicious illusion, though.

Well if you read the quote, the idea of alcohol protecting somewhat against heart disease is still supported by the study (I don't think I've ever heard the cigar thing though). However, they're saying that any potential benefits are outweighed by the risks of it causing other problems.

That said though, There is still this:

Anyone who drank alcohol "for the health benefits" was such an obvious liar that it's almost funny.

And I find this to be the case a lot of the time. Those 1 or 2 glasses of wine are supposed to be 5 oz. glasses, which is 1 serving of wine. ...I don't see too many people sticking to 5 ounces per glass.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
I am no scholar on the issue but that kinda changes nothing, does it? Poison is poison.

It still argues against moderate consumption with the health risks of alcohol abuse though kinda juxtaposing the headline

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I think we all knew this deep down.

Im not gonna use this study as a means to stop enjoying having a tasty beer after a long week

I can mentally acknowledge its unhealthy... hell I acknowledge that even without this study

As long as some blow hard doesnt use this as some opening to harass me for it I have no problem with them pushing this as common accepted knowledge and people shouldn't give non drinkers a hard time over it and vice versa

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Ha, you drinkers are in for it now.

<eats entire sleeve of cookies>

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Sounds to me like there are some benefits and some negative consequences of moderate consumption.

To be honest, I get sick of these studies. A study comes out telling you eggs are bad and then a few years later, eggs are suddenly good. One year, Fat is bad for you, then sugar is the bad guy and fat is ok.

My advice would be to consume a variety of foods/drinks in moderation and don't worry about the consequences.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
First off, I like your Avatar name. Second off, it seems you are not ready to fully understand what I wrote. One day you'll understand. You can do yourself a favor and take a short cut by doing what I wrote. Oh, and start exercising and eating well. It will do wonders for the quality of your life.
You sound tremendously arrogant in the dumbest way.
We all know that it's unhealthy, silly.

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
Well I don't drink so I guess I'm good. Then again everything is bad for you so it doesn't even matter anymore.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I similar study came out recently but was apparently blocked by the beer makers. I enjoy alcohol in moderation. But as I age, I mostly top out at 2 drink per outing. A far cry from my twenties.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
The title is a little clickbaity, considering there's like, alcohol in just about anything, even your body produces some. Probably should be "drinking even a little is harmful" or something like that.

For disclosure, I recently quit, but I was already drinking so rarely that I could go for months and months and months without a drink and not even notice, so it hasn't been long enough for my quitting to really matter. I'll probably end up drinking some bare minimum champagne during stuff like new year celebration purely for social reasons (champagne is gross anyway)

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I do it so rarely I hope it doesn't really effect my health. Like I'll have 3 beers once every 2 or 3 weeks maybe

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
It seems rational to me that alcohol has significant negative externalities you don't consider if you just look at the health impacts. This study looks at car accidents, self harm, etc., and that makes sense. Alcohol increases your risk of death, I guess. Still, I feel OK drinking socially and in moderation. I can't say I can refute evidence that rates of TB change...but I think it's a risk I can manage.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I think it all stemmed from some study a guy at my school did which later turned out to be falsified. I still cling to the delicious illusion, though.

It was late and I was hungry. My hands were tied, basically. :D

This study confirms that a drink or two a day is good for your heart and helps prevent diabetes. The issue is, it increases your risk of dying in other ways and they say it's not worth it.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Welp. There goes my rum thread.

*takes a sip from flask*
I just finished my bottle of Appleton Estate 10 minutes ago.

Am I already dead?

Anyone who drank alcohol "for the health benefits" was such an obvious liar that it's almost funny.

I was always under the impression that specifically red wine gave some kind of benefit. I've never heard of any other alcoholic drinks being promoted as healthy.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Ya, pretty much... In this day and age, everything seems to kill you. Just do it in moderation and enjoy your lives people. No need to overreact.

I imagine this clarification is more important for dispelling the myths of alcohol

Much like the myths associated with Tobacco and other drugs

We need data like this to have ammo against snake oil salesman trying to oversell health benefits of things

And even though I feel like most people who consume alcohol know that its unhealthy there are still things out there that need to be debunked

Bernd Lauert

Banned
May 27, 2018
Just read a diet book from a guy who analyzed a bajillion studies to come to his conclusions. He says 100ml of dry wine a day is good for health. This study here then looks at car accidents and suicides and I'm like "will 100ml of wine really make me sucidal? And I don't even drive".

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
In 2018 we learned (or reaffirmed) the following things will kill you:
  • Alcohol
  • Coffee
  • Sugar
  • High Carb Diets
  • High Fat Diets
  • Sushi
  • Dog saliva
  • Too much exercise
  • Too little exercise
  • Obsessive over news
  • Being a minority in America
  • Driving over the speed limit
  • Working too much
  • Having too little money
  • Not having real life friends
  • Spending too little time in nature
  • Text messaging
  • the sun

Air

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No surprise here. On average I've been a moderate drinker (2-4 per week), but I've been cutting that down (1-2 per week). Ultimately, I'd like to either drink as little as possible the older I get.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
No he's talking bollocks.
Ehh I wouldn't say it's complete bollocks to suggest regular post-workout drinking (a couple of beers even) will have an effect on fitness. While the research has small sample sizes, with alcohol's effects on hormonal pathways, muscle growth, and alcohol's dehydration after exercise when you sweat therefore losing even more fluids, it's not exactly going to help.

https://www.popsci.com/alcohol-exercise-recovery
Alcohol interferes with your post-exercise recovery

Strenuous exercise temporarily damages your skeletal muscles—that's how we build more. You strain yourself, your muscles incur a bit of damage, and your body takes that as a sign that it needs to build more. After all, whatever muscle you already have clearly wasn't up to the task.

That means post-workout recovery is crucial to improving your performance over time. Alcohol interferes with that process in a number of ways. For one, it dehydrates you, and you've just expended a lot of sweat. You should be stocking up on fluids and electrolytes, not depleting yourself of them. Alcohol also decreases your muscles' ability to use glucose and amino acids, both of which are essential to building new muscle fibers and blood vessels. Without a supply of energy and protein building-blocks, your body can't make itself stronger.

Alcohol also has a tendency to interrupt hormonal pathways, especially in the long term, which may make testosterone less available to your muscles. Testosterone helps your muscles rebuild and develop—generally as an athlete you want more of it, not less.
But it also varies a lot from person to person

Most exercise-based studies suffer from the same problem: small subject groups. Many of the studies on how much alcohol affects athletic performance have a dozen or so participants, which is not nearly enough to draw solid conclusions on their own. Multiple studies have shown an impact on peak muscle performance—enough for meta-analyses to conclude that there is a real effect—but others have found no impact.

Mixed results like that probably mean that some people don't see a huge effect from drinking, especially in moderate amounts. In 2012, science journalist Christie Aschwanden convinced a researcher at the Monfort Family Human Performance Research Lab in Colorado to do a study of how drinking beer affected runners' capabilities. They found (again, with a small sample size) that women seemed to fare better the day after getting tipsy, whereas the men did worse. Together, they cancelled out each other's effects.

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
I'm here for a good time, not a long time.

They can take my 2-4 nightly beers from my cold, dead hands.

That's naive as fuck. Many people think like that when they are in puperty. As life goes on and people start to get wiser, they for sure will appreciate LIFE.

Once it's too late and people have ruined or shortend their life unnecessarily by living an unhealthy lifestyle - once illness has made them permanetely miserable, they for sure will understand this life lesson in the most brutal, hard way imaginable.

On the other hand, there might indeed be people who cannot enjoy themselves other than living an unhealthy life. Kind of a pitty really. But if that's true, then by all means they should enjoy themselves by harming their bodies and deal with the consequences.

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, only a third of the world's population drinks?

Who's the lame no fun continent screwing the numbers?

(yes I know it's not actually lame to not drink I'm just surprised by this statistic)
Reminder that alcohol tastes bad, but we're asked to keep spending money trying different things we don't like until we eventually "develop a taste" for it. Yeah, a lot of people aren't gonna go for that.

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how many of those "benefits of drinking" made-for-morning-news studies were funded in some way by alcohol companies. The conspicuousness of never mentioning how else you can get those same benefits without alcohol always threw a red light, and made it reek or fishing for justification not to change destructive behavior.