Status
Not open for further replies.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway I'm firmly on #TeamLite, at least for this first revision. I could see a pro further down the line but I honestly wouldn't put money on it.

All of the form factor revisions for switch will still use the same joycons and dock. Count on it

I agree with this. If the form factor changes at all it will be very minor, like shaving a couple cms off of some dimensions.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Anyway I'm firmly on #TeamLite, at least for this first revision. I could see a pro further down the line but I honestly wouldn't put money on it.

I agree with this. If the form factor changes at all it will be very minor, like shaving a couple cms off of some dimensions.

Yup, they will use the same rails and sliders as the current switch and fit into the same dock. Seems like they learned from the Wii motion + and Wii U debacles. We will likely see an iterative upgrade with small fixes

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017

What do you think of the article saying that this is a new flagship model? I think at worst, we will see a minor upgrade to 472GFLOPs, and it runs that way when docked too, but I don't see why Nintendo would limit the chip to not run faster when docked, since that is the idea behind the Switch and the timing isn't that far off from PS4 pro, with a 36 month to 33 month, if this device launches November 2019.

I do absolutely believe that a new cheaper switch is coming, but Flagship word being thrown around by the WSJ, does point to a premium experience.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I see basically 3 ways to go, and all 3 would likely use a new process shrunk SoC (Mariko) to achieve improvements:

Switch Lite: Same general size, brighter OLED screen, smaller/no bezels, lighter, no fan/passive cooling, significantly increased battery life, modest/no spec increase, $299 with joycons and dock. This would be an iterative replacement for the current Switch and leave room for further iterative replacements down the line.

Switch Mini: Smaller unit, LCD screen, integrated controls (inc. dpad), lighter, emphasis on durability, no fan/passive cooling, modest/no spec increase, different case colors, $199 for just the console but compatible with joycons and separate cradle. This would be a complimentary unit to the $299 Switch, focused more on the kids market and positioned as a more direct 3DS successor.

Switch Deluxe: Same general size, brighter OLED screen, smaller/no bezels, fan/active cooling, modestly increased battery life, significant spec increase (2x+), $299 with joycons and dock. This would be a long term iterative replacement for the current Switch but could also be positioned temporairily as a higher priced alternative ($349-399) alongside the current unit.

Personally though I think we'll be seeing muliple new units over the next several years and I wouldn't be surprised if we got devices similar to all 3 of these.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
You would need a new dock for handheld only "switch". Or as I call it "Swont". The current dock wouldn't work with built in sticks.

Which DS/3DS titles weren't compatible with future revisions besides the carts with special hardware? (Guitar Hero).

Maybe it could have option, if your really want to play in Dock or playing with Joy Cons. Even if doesn't fits Nintendo could easily release another version of dock.
We are getting multiple Switch revisions in one or other way, and Switch Mini/Pocket/Light will be definitely one of them and probably first of them.

It doesn't really matter if we talking future or past revisions, point is that you had in DS and now 3DS platforms games that dont work on every device that are part of those platforms.

Last edited:

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
You know, Nintendo could just turn the current Switch into a single board and sell it for $229 to reach a lower price point, it could almost certainly drop to $250 right now without running in the red, and software sales are really high every device sold, not to mention that online sub does help eat that cost. Who knows, maybe they could even get it down to $199 next Holiday with this current Switch, in time for Pokemon. I do think the device is a little big for kids, but then again my 2 year old son runs around with a 8inch fire tablet, though I wouldn't let him use my Switch just yet. (he uses my Wii U :)

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
What do you think of the article saying that this is a new flagship model? I think at worst, we will see a minor upgrade to 472GFLOPs, and it runs that way when docked too, but I don't see why Nintendo would limit the chip to not run faster when docked, since that is the idea behind the Switch and the timing isn't that far off from PS4 pro, with a 36 month to 33 month, if this device launches November 2019.

I do absolutely believe that a new cheaper switch is coming, but Flagship word being thrown around by the WSJ, does point to a premium experience.

I can't see the full article but I didn't see the word flagship, and anyway this isn't the most insightful article to begin with. Whoever their source is doesn't seem to know a whole lot about this revision besides the fact that it exists and will likely use a different display.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Maybe it could have option, if your really want to play in Dock or playing with Joy Cons. Even if doesn't fits Nintendo could easily release another version of dock.
We are getting multiple Switch revisions in one or other way, and Switch Mini/Pocket/Light will be definitely one of them and probably first of them.

It doesn't really matter if we talking future or past revisions, point is that you had in DS and now 3DS platforms games that dont work on every device that are part of those platforms.

Multiple switches is fine, it they will "switch" and they will likely all use the same docks and joycons. Nintendo isn't stupid.

It does matter, show me the list of DS titles that didn't work on future revisions. Show your work.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice. I'll wait for that. I'm hopping for a bigger screen and more power, just perfect for the new Metroid Prime!

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I feel it is too early for a portable only Switch

But without a doubt it makes sense for Nintendo to use Tegra as the common hardware platform going forward.

Question for z0m3le . what if it is a more powerful Switch with a 1080p screen that is only a portable. Alternatively what if this whole revision is to make the Switch mini that is portable only. Its a weird twist to all these rumours but then again we are dealing with Nintendo

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
The New 3DS had one "exclusive" game, a Xenoblade Chronicles port, nothing major. Eventually, much later, it got maybe 1 or 2 more, and again nothing major.

Imagine if the Switch Pro got COD, Elder Scrolls 6, FFXV "the real deal", a mainline RE etc and many others from smaller developers while OG Switch won't. If that is not a potential disaster in the making for Nintendo, alienating a very large portion of their user base that in the future will think many times before buying another console of theirs, I don't know what is.

Why do you think Sony emphasized from the very first announcement of the Pro that it won't get exclusives? Because they knew it would be a PR disaster if they allowed major games to be exclusive only 3 years after OG PS4 came out (for some markets it was 2.5 years).

As I previously wrote:
Imagine the backlash Sony would have gotten if the PS4 Pro came out and it got exclusive games "because they couldn't be done on the OG PS4".
There is a reason why Sony emphasized from the very start (when the Pro was announced) and demanded from developers that there won't be exclusive Pro games and all games could be played on the OG PS4. The additional sales the Pro would have gotten would not have compensated for the loss of sales of OG PS4, not to mention the outrage from more than a few gamers. Think of what happened to the Xbox brand due to the initial One features announcement - it was so bad MS had to renege on these features, yet still suffered serious damage in sales. And in this case with Nintendo, they won't be able to renege due to developers having already committed.
Three exclusive games: XC, Binding of Isaac, and Minecraft

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think fragmenting the userbase is that big of a deal.

The current Switch simply can't reasonably run a lot of PS4/XB1 ... why would it be such a big deal if by late 2019 there is a chip that can run those games? OG Switch owners wouldn't be getting such games anyway really.

Nintendo's own games will likely be compatible with every model so that's not really a problem, indie games and lower end 3rd party games would go on the same way.

I don't really see why denying other consumers and developers the ability to have certain content is really a "win" for anyone.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just give me this and I'd buy it... I mean I want a Pro, and I think they will do that, but I also really want the screen to be like this, this should be around 7inches without those bezels, and this would give me a much more rich experience when I'm on the go.

Edges of the screen would be cut off in various Labo builds, they just aren't gonna put out a switch in a form factor that won't work with big chunks of their stuff. Y'all gotta keep your expectations there in check. We may get new insides, better but same size screen, but nothing super crazy with the component shapes.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
I feel it is too early for a portable only Switch

But without a doubt it makes sense for Nintendo to use Tegra as the common hardware platform going forward.

Question for z0m3le . what if it is a more powerful Switch with a 1080p screen that is only a portable. Alternatively what if this whole revision is to make the Switch mini that is portable only. Its a weird twist to all these rumours but then again we are dealing with Nintendo
A portable only Switch could run on a shrunk Tegra X1 (this could be Mariko) I believe they will still tweak the clocks, as Nintendo is now using dynamic resolutions, so they could give it a 20% increase in performance to 921mhz like in the foxconn leak (without increase the cuda cores, like I believe they would do, as the double everything else) this would give you 472GFLOPs, it would also have the chance to double the memory bandwidth and increase CPU clocks still, this would allow it to handle ports much better than the current Switch. I do believe this is an option, I just don't know why they wouldn't allow it to use a higher clock like the current Switch when docked.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Multiple switches is fine, it they will "switch" and they will likely all use the same docks and joycons. Nintendo isn't stupid.

It does matter, show me the list of DS titles that didn't work on future revisions. Show your work.

They are not stupid but they were releasing plenty of things that maybe seems odd, for some N64 games you needed expansion pack, some DS game couldnt work on some DS units, some Wii games coudlnt be played whithout Motion+, they released 2DS that don't have 3D, some 3DS game could not run on every 3DS unit including SNES games.
Also we know that Nintendo like plenty of different type of add ons, I could easily see different type of Joy Cons even Docs.

I never claimed that.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Get a Switch now, then sell it when the revision is released. You'll probably only be out ~$100, and for that, you get a year of Switch gaming you wouldn't have gotten otherwise.
This seems to be a sensible option as well, guess I'll go for it and happily play with my Switch for a whole year. I should be better off next year since I'm finishing uni in a couple of months.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think fragmenting the userbase is that big of a deal.

The current Switch simply can't reasonably run a lot of PS4/XB1 ... why would it be such a big deal if by late 2019 there is a chip that can run those games? OG Switch owners wouldn't be getting such games anyway really.

Nintendo's own games will likely be compatible with every model so that's not really a problem, indie games and lower end 3rd party games would go on the same way.

I don't really see why denying other consumers and developers the ability to have certain content is really a "win" for anyone.

As Nate Drake (and other insiders and developers) have said, processing power is not one of the bigger hurdles in getting PS4/XB1 ports onto the platform. Card size/cost and ROI are far more important than the power disparity. Those two things will not change with a pro revision, so why would ports be any more likely?

I get that power is what people on forums talk about as being the biggest problem but it just simply isn't. People in the industry do tend to know better than the rest of us about these things.

Shadow-Link

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I understood the words, but I think it is nonsense.

A few months ago I went to the US, and many of my friends there asked me if I had got a Switch, and if we could play some multiplayer. This is how an example situation would go if I had gotten your Switchless Switch:

Friend: Hey, did you get a Switch?
Me: Yep, sure did.
Friend: Cool, let's play something, what's good?
Me: Well, we can't.
Friend: Eh? What do you mean, I thought the Switch had built in multiplayer?
Me: Well the normal Switch does, but I got the forever alone edition. If we go to the electronics store and buy a bunch of accessories we could play some Mario Kart.
Friend: Wow, sounds like a hassle
Me: Yep, but I'm glad I saved a tiny bit of money.

All joking aside, the thing that makes most sense for Nintendo is keep the Switch how it is and reduce the price by 5000¥ and introduce a new Switch with better screen, battery, and maybe a little extra something for a bit more than the original was priced at. That's what they had done in the past, and what Sony and Microsoft did with their revisions.

lol, this is my point. Also, I don't want to play on a smaller screen it hurts my eyes. The size of the Switch is good.

Oct 25, 2017
Edges of the screen would be cut off in various Labo builds, they just aren't gonna put out a switch in a form factor that won't work with big chunks of their stuff. Y'all gotta keep your expectations there in check. We may get new insides, better but same size screen, but nothing super crazy with the component shapes.

Hopefully they wouldn't solely decide their hardware direction based on their cardboard brand. Especially considering the less than stellar sales. There's absolutely no reason why they wouldn't just update labo to have a screen size option instead. Since we would ideally be going from a smaller to larger screen, it's an easy fix.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As Nate Drake (and other insiders and developers) have said, processing power is not one of the bigger hurdles in getting PS4/XB1 ports onto the platform. Card size/cost and ROI are far more important than the power disparity. Those two things will not change with a pro revision, so why would ports be any more likely?

I get that power is what people on forums talk about as being the biggest problem but it just simply isn't. People in the industry do tend to know better than the rest of us about these things.

I don't think every developer would agree with that. It's also an opportunity cost, yes maybe you can strip a game down and/or rebuild it almost from scratch, but why do that if Nintendo could simply offer a chip say 3x better than can more easily just directly port a game.

Nintendo is not the center of the universe where they can demand ports, they are better off meeting developers half way here, I think the dev community does like the Switch and clearly you have devs that want RE7 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey on Switch for example, but they're not going to completely make a different version of the game for a system that is 10% of the market maybe (and that's not unreasonable).

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017

Because next gen consoles are 19 to 25 months away. The larger RAM pool/speed and CPU speed, will be a larger gap to bridge for the current Switch.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CPU is gonna be more and more important going forward. nearly doubling the clock speed will be a boon for games, but in order to properly future-proof the switch against the PS5 and Scarlet, a change to the design would have to take place. primarily moving to a newer design (A72/73) in addition to the increased clock speeds.

but it's looking mighty unlikely that's gonna occur with this revision/update

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
CPU is gonna be more and more important going forward. nearly doubling the clock speed will be a boon for games, but in order to properly future-proof the switch against the PS5 and Scarlet, a change to the design would have to take place. primarily moving to a newer design (A72/73) in addition to the increased clock speeds.

but it's looking mighty unlikely that's gonna occur with this revision/update

That would be the Switch 2

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think matching PS5/XB2 is really something Nintendo should give much of a fart about.

PS4/XB1 tier is the magic ticket, if they can get a chip that can more easily allow for ports of any PS4/XB1 they are going to see an enormous flood of content from 3rd parties.

And IMO PS4/XB1 will be supported for years to come even with PS5/XB2, developers are not gonna be keen on ditching the old systems, cross-gen titles will likely be even more common place for a lot longer this gen.

Then by 2023, Nintendo can look at maybe an even higher end Switch as development more aggressively shifts over to the next-gen platforms.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they wouldn't solely decide their hardware direction based on their cardboard brand. Especially considering the less than stellar sales. There's absolutely no reason why they wouldn't just update labo to have a screen size option instead. Since we would ideally be going from a smaller to larger screen, it's an easy fix.

I still do think they'd be hesitant to introduce compatibility issues with things like this but you're right, an auto screen-scaling when necessary could easily be built into the software, I hadn't considered that.

I definitely still believe they won't change the physical size of the machine overall, though, or do anything as radical as fusing the joycons.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think every developer would agree with that. It's also an opportunity cost, yes maybe you can strip a game down and/or rebuild it almost from scratch, but why do that if Nintendo could simply offer a chip say 3x better than can more easily just directly port a game.

Nintendo is not the center of the universe where they can demand ports, they are better off meeting developers half way here, I think the dev community does like the Switch and clearly you have devs that want RE7 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey on Switch for example, but they're not going to completely make a different version of the game for a system that is 10% of the market maybe (and that's not unreasonable).

But offering such a chip has no bearing on the bigger issues- card size and ROI/audience. It's not going to magically convince developers to put their games on the revision, especially when that revision is going to have a far lower user base.

I honestly see almost no reason for a developer to make a game or port exclusively for a pro revision.

And maybe it's actually not that hard or expensive to strip down the game to get it to run. What's more expensive is purchasing those large game cards or waiting for even larger ones. At least two insiders now have confirmed that games have been shelved or cancelled specifically due to card sizes. Nobody has said anything about power causing these problems.

Because next gen consoles are 19 to 25 months away. The larger RAM pool/speed and CPU speed, will be a larger gap to bridge for the current Switch.

But how far away are we from next gen only multiplats? They will likely be cross gen for at least a year after the consoles launch.

Nintendo can launch the next Switch (not a revision, Switch 2) not too far away from then. They can treat it like a phone upgrade where the old console will be supported with most games but the new one will get some exclusive titles that couldn't run on the old one.

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018
Power is on the lower end of concerns from third parties. Game cart size capacity is a far bigger issue that needs to be solved for third party support, as are software sale performance.
Ummmm.........no. Just, no.

Third parties would much rather save millions of dollars by having better parity between consoles, thereby reducing development costs for Switch versions, than have their whole game fit on a game card.

As far as your concern, most PS4 and Xbone games have mandatory installs. Not to mention updates, patches, and DLC. So having a "whole" game on a cart matters to you maybe, but not to the industry. Rare is an instanceiof an entire game on a cart blueray. Especi since an incredible amount of users are going digital this gen.

Don't take your concerns and pretend that they are more important than very real issues that matter to everyone else.

Yeesh.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
But offering such a chip has no bearing on the bigger issues- card size and ROI/audience. It's not going to magically convince developers to put their games on the revision, especially when that revision is going to have a far lower user base.

I honestly see almost no reason for a developer to make a game or port exclusively for a pro revision.

And maybe it's actually not that hard or expensive to strip down the game to get it to run. What's more expensive is purchasing those large game cards or waiting for even larger ones. At least two insiders now have confirmed that games have been shelved or cancelled specifically due to card sizes. Nobody has said anything about power causing these problems.

But how far away are we from next gen only multiplats? They will likely be cross gen for at least a year after the consoles launch.

Nintendo can launch the next Switch (not a revision, Switch 2) not too far away from then. They can treat it like a phone upgrade where the old console will be supported with most games but the new one will get some exclusive titles that couldn't run on the old one.
Everyone treats console designs like a fast food order. If Nintendo thought PS5 and Xbnext were coming in 2019, they couldn't wait much longer than that, the end of 2014 saw cross gen for a lot of multiplats titles, that would mean Switch should have a new Switch out before 2021, thing is, without a market share for that switch and only giving 4 years to the current Switch before they would have to abandon it for much stronger hardware. What makes sense is a gradual replacement like phones, every 5 to 6 years, your model is phased out, meaning the switch beyond this pro is in 2022.

I know a few people at NoA, and they have shifted focus to reaching out to all 3rd parties and trying to get them on board, flash memory will be solved in a few years, this won't be unless Nintendo starts it now.

If Sony can launch a performance refresh while having a ton of momentum, Nintendo should be able to do the same, and it's much more meaningful for Nintendo to do so.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Ummmm.........no. Just, no.

Third parties would much rather save millions of dollars by having better parity between consoles, thereby reducing development costs for Switch versions, than have their whole game fit on a game card.

As far as your concern, most PS4 and Xbone games have mandatory installs. Not to mention updates, patches, and DLC. So having a "whole" game on a cart matters to you maybe, but not to the industry. Rare is an instanceiof an entire game on a cart blueray. Especi since an incredible amount of users are going digital this gen.

Don't take your concerns and pretend that they are more important than very real issues that matter to everyone else.

Yeesh.
He's speaking from his insider knowledge.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
They are not stupid but they were releasing plenty of things that maybe seems odd, for some N64 games you needed expansion pack, some DS game couldnt work on some DS units, some Wii games coudlnt be played whithout Motion+, they released 2DS that don't have 3D, some 3DS game could not run on every 3DS unit including SNES games.
Also we know that Nintendo like plenty of different type of add ons, I could easily see different type of Joy Cons even Docs.

I never claimed that.

You claimed this. Show me which ones

Oct 25, 2017
I still do think they'd be hesitant to introduce compatibility issues with things like this but you're right, an auto screen-scaling when necessary could easily be built into the software, I hadn't considered that.

I definitely still believe they won't change the physical size of the machine overall, though, or do anything as radical as fusing the joycons.

I agree, for the time being I dont think they will change the form factor. At the very least for this upcoming revision. But farther down the line? Who knows. I could see a cheaper portable only model.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
And while that might apply to his sources, it doesn't reach everyone, I'll make it pretty obvious that he is wrong in general. Panic Button and other port companies exist because Switch needs special attention for porting, resources and time, enough to employee dozens of developers to bring games to the Switch without a doubt exists.

This relationship would not exist if you could compile the game for the Switch version of your engine and have it run without the months of optimization. Yes, porting isn't a button, but if your engine supports the Switch, you can run your game on it at whatever performance it can do without optimization, if it was a task that took weeks with a few developers, yeah the cards would still be a hurtle, but you wouldn't have to outsource the project and spend millions to that process.

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018
If you want to PM me I can tell you exactly how I know. And yes...it is insider knowledge. But from the way I see forum users engage with others, I'm decidedly staying anonymous. But I can easily prove my job to you in a PM without giving away my identity.

So if you think I'm making shit up, well sorry bud. Not the case.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to PM me I can tell you exactly how I know. And yes...it is insider knowledge. But from the way I see forum users engage with others, I'm decidedly staying anonymous. But I can easily prove my job to you in a PM without giving away my identity.

It's plainly obvious that you are right. IMO

The excuse reminds me of the gamecube media disc, or no 4th shoulder button and select button being an excuse for why gamecube missed 3rd party games. It was due to 24MB of RAM, developers were literally dropping ps2 games into the Xbox and optimizing them because they ran too fast, but had to trim their games on gamecube because of the lack of RAM (even though it was much faster) and yes I know some of these programmers in real life.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm perfectly fine with consoles, including the Switch, adopting the apple model where after a few upgrades the older hardware becomes obsolete for newer software and updates.

Switch 2 and regular Switch will get the same software and then around 2023/24 the Switch 3 comes out, and Switch 2 can run Switch 3 games but Switch 1 can't and so on and so forth.

That way you're giving consumers an option for which price point they want, and you're not starting install bases from scratch every gen. And nobody feels burnt by buying day one hardware because by the time their hardware of choice stops being supported it'll be around 5 years or so.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Look at this. And people keep telling me power is a low concern.

Deleted member 13364

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. Power significantly closer to current platforms
2. A viable hybrid platform that sells well, thus attracting third parties

Pick one.

Last edited:

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
1. "Power"
2. A viable hybrid platform that sells well, thus attracting third parties

Pick one.

Since power is subjectivee (Switch was/is considered very powerful for a handheld) this notion is silly. You can make a more powerful switch with currently existing hardware that is still a viable hybrid platform.

Nintendo also has justification now to make a semi-custom (with full backwards compatible) chip instead of literally just an off-the-shelf component that could wring even more performance.

Kalle

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Prague, CZ
It could pretty much be a model with more processing power (more efficient node, more cuda cores or higher frequency). It doesn't necessarily mean splitting the user base since you can have the same portable mode for both the devices and beefier docked mode with the new one. I honestly think that all we get is a fanless and more efficient revision which can be sold for less. But at the same time we could get a beefed up Switch for 299. The initial price of the og was 299, more than what sony asked for PS4 at the time and it eventually managed to succeed. Nowadays the price sensitivity is not that big problem when people shell out thousands for iPhones.

Status
Not open for further replies.