• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing that interests me about this is that the combat and movement looks pretty snappy, albeit that might give it the visual jank people are talking about. Mortal shell LOOKS great, but feels like ass to move and play in imo, where this looks like one of very few soulslikes that might actually get why souls games feel good to play.

Spoiler: souls games are super snappy and responsive, the vast majority of soulslikes think the "animation commitment" means all soulslikes must play like molasses.

Afro

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that interests me about this is that the combat and movement looks pretty snappy, albeit that might give it the visual jank people are talking about. Mortal shell LOOKS great, but feels like ass to move and play in imo, where this looks like one of very few soulslikes that might actually get why souls games feel good to play.

Spoiler: souls games are super snappy and responsive, the vast majority of soulslikes think the "animation commitment" means all soulslikes must play like molasses.
True, this is why I love Nioh.

MoosGoMoo

Banned
Jan 27, 2021
Terrible name and trailer makes it look like yet-another-Souls-like.

Won't write it off just yet but doesn't do anything to make a great first impression.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Very much a Souls clone. It feels a little bit too derivative, but at the same time, the atmosphere looks cool, as well as some of the enemies. The final scene had some cool atmosphere.

I hope the game does well. However, I'm not gonna bite anymore on indie Souls clones unless there's good word of mouth.

Mar 29, 2018
I really hope at least some of these Souls copycats turn out well. I guess we'll be dealing with a lot more of them over the next 5 years.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
The game looks way more conventional than the thread title suggests, and I'm deeply skeptical of any Kickstarter game with grand ambitions. Still, I hope it turns out great.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
The title catched my eye, then I saw it was a Souls-like haha.

Still, very cool idea.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
I do like the look of the big stompy wendigo giant in the trailer but I'm kinda done with Souls stuff. Insanely burnt out on it.

Not everything needs to be Dark Souls.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
I just find it weird to complain that: "Not everything needs to be like Dark Souls" as if they were forced at gunpoint to make it that way.
Not sure where I wrote they were forced to. But alright. Cool.

I'm just messin'

I did recently try re=playing Jedi Fallen Order. Which has so many Souls things it's wild. Like, tou rest and the stormtroopers you killed pop back to life. Which, raises some horrible implications for that universe. Do the engineers on the Death Star re-appear, floating in the cold vacuum of space whenever Luke takes a nap?

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
Been following this game for a while, one of the devs talks to people and answers questions pretty much every day in the game's Discord which is pretty cool.

Apparently if things go well enough with the launch of this they have big plans for the future so I hope this does well, I'm personally super excited for it.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Watching that gameplay has me wanting to push 0_abyssalSomewhere on folk again. I absolutely love the presence from looming structures of rotting concrete.

2xUZhw.png

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

Interesting. So it has swimming, stealth, and climbing/platforming too. Really ambitious huh.

But the're obvious jank in there still. I feel like the framerate dropped several times (might just be the feed, not sure), and I'm not feeling the combat. The player is using a polearm but the moveset feels... off, like he's swinging a sword, basically, and hits don't have much impact. A lot of the regular mobs seem like they're damage sponges. The boss with the "throw small enemies at you one by one" phase... I don't care for that, it's tedious and not even really challenging, it's just padding.
The lighting was also way too dark in the swimming section. I imagine it will be frustrating to try to find an oxygen spot when you can barely see in front of you.

I dunno. It has promise and I wish them the best, but I fear they might bite off more than they can chew?

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Just saw the gameplay, and wow it looks amazing. Swimming and underwater exploration took me by suprise, there's also platforming and tall bush stealth which I'm not a fan of. Combat looks fine, but I do agree that trash enemies took too long to kill, like 7 hits in total. But overall, it looks incredible, especially the vibes and map design.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Jank looks on par with Hellpoint, which I enjoyed;

And the overall world looks insane. Hopefully they release a demo so I can try it for myself.

EDIT: this just popped up in my YT feed: devs respond to some of the criticism

Last edited:

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks hideous and janky as fuck. I understand devs copying From's gameplay systems but do they really need to go for their art direction as well? I wish the devs the best but this looks bad to me.

Dreenk

Oct 27, 2017
Watching that gameplay has me wanting to push 0_abyssalSomewhere on folk again. I absolutely love the presence from looming structures of rotting concrete.

2xUZhw.png
Unrelated to the game at hand I know, but I opened this page in a tab last week and just got back to checking it out. Man, I can't overstate how impressed I am with this. It's abrasive, uncaring, surprising, and generally just does things you won't expect something of this scale to do. I threw the dev a few bucks on itch.io after I was done because I need to see more from them. Fucking awesome, and excellent recommendation, Dancrane212 !