Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This shot is interesting to me, because the new trailer shows that at least some parts of the movie actually take place in actual Sonic stages like Green Hill, and it actually looks authentic.

What is this supposed to be? Mushroom Hill?

Either way, this is a significant upgrade. It still will be a goofy kids movie, but at least it doesn't look nightmarish.
Could be sequel setup. Would make sense to introduce Tails and Knuckles.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
The design looks fine now although sonics integration into the environments still looks off. Corridor crew mentioned the lighting and coloring on sonic being off and I think that's still the case here. Hopefully they tweak it a little before release.

Other than that the movie looks alright. Not a huge fan of the youtuber personality they gave sonic but I'm sure it will be liked by the kids.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I chuckled at the darts joke. Hm, I think I might be able to eek out some enjoyment from this film now that Sonic doesn't look like roadkill.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
It's a shame the world will likely never get to witness old nightmare Sonic doing armpit farts.
I can't even imagine it... the original design was saw odd considering the tone of the movie; what we have now more closely fits in with the goofy nature it seems to be going for.

It's possible the background has been changed since the because you're right about how much better Green Hill looks.
That's what I'm thinking. Maybe the artists also convinced the studio to allow them to create a more authentic world in addition to improving the design?

Regardless of how this movie turns out, the story behind the creation of the game is sure to be an interesting one.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
The design looks fine now although sonics integration into the environments still looks off. Corridor crew mentioned the lighting and coloring on sonic being off and I think that's still the case here. Hopefully they tweak it a little before release.

Other than that the movie looks alright. Not a huge fan of the youtuber personality they gave sonic but I'm sure it will be liked by the kids.

I figure the final release will definitely look better. They got a little over two months to polish things up.

Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
ejkwhdhwoaibiid8fj8t.jpg

How does this even happen? I mean, how was the first design ever approved? Sonic looks much better now and I think it will be an entertaining movie for what it is.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
This shot is interesting to me, because the new trailer shows that at least some parts of the movie actually take place in actual Sonic stages like Green Hill, and it actually looks authentic.

Either way, this is a significant upgrade. It still will be a goofy kids movie, but at least it doesn't look nightmarish.

I guarantee you that is literally the very final shot of the movie.

Exodus 1831

Oct 25, 2018
Interestingly enough, it appears that Paramount Pictures has removed the original trailer from their YouTube channel

scitek

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, this makes me wonder if they initially wanted Sonic's world to also have a pseudo-realistic aesthetic, and that's changed along with his redesign.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
People also need to realize that, with as quickly as this turnaround happened, there's no way these new VFX are even close to being finalized. They'll definitely improve as we get closer to the film's release date. I think they likely went ahead and rushed the trailer because of all the leaks that were going on.

Didn't mean to double post.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
It actually looks like Sonic now instead of a kid wearing a weird costume with a nightmare head.

The actual film itself looks pretty generic ("crazy cartoon character comes to your town" is a tired plot), but hey, Carrey is having a good time.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Looks waaaaaay better.
Still don't like Sonic in the human world but watevs. Also does he seem more dorky and clumsy than cool to anyone else?

Anyway, MAAAD props to the animators.

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
the new Sonic is such a drastic improvement it's insane...

still looks a little weird/uncanny valley to me, but eh. i'll still watch it. excited to see Jim Carey as Eggman!

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still couldn't reconcile that massive uni-eye.

This is obviously a huge improvement but it also isn't a draw for me. It makes my interest in the film drop to zero.

The only motivation i had to see the Sonic movie was that uncanny valley freakshow.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
How does this even happen? I mean, how was the first design ever approved? Sonic looks much better now and I think it will be an entertaining movie for what it is.
The clearest answer is that someone in a producer role on the film demanded Weird Freak Sonic because they completely misunderstood Sonic and had their own vision, and also had executive decision making ability that overrode anyone lower on the chain with actual sense.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The clearest answer is that someone in a producer role on the film demanded Weird Freak Sonic because they completely misunderstood Sonic and had their own vision, and also had executive decision making ability that overrode anyone lower on the chain with actual sense.
Sounds like every videogame movie producer lol

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic's design looks great, they did a fantastic job there. The movie itself looks okay, nothing mindblowing but it still looks fun.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Sonic's design looks a lot better now. Although will miss the memes that came from the Sonic 1.0 movie look.
Also glad they had to include that "Meeoooww?"(sort of) scene again in this trailer lol.

Hopefully the extra time has also allowed them to do more cuts and edits to scenes to make the movie as smooth as possible

Last edited:

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The horrific design was the only good thing that film had going for it. Now it just looks boring

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm not gonna lie, if Sega stuck with this design going forward, I wouldn't hate the decision. It's that good of a design.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's still insane to me that the original design was ever approved.

Movie looks pretty fun too. Curious to see if it can match Detective Pikachu.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
If there was ever a movie that needed an fxguide postmortem...it's this one. Like, that original design was what they landed on after how many rejected ideas? And then, they had to go in and redesign him again to make him look like a realistic version of the ones from the games. Meaning a whole lot of animation.

I'm not gonna lie, if Sega stuck with this design going forward, I wouldn't hate the decision. It's that good of a design.
They finally solved the "sonic has one eye" debate.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019

It's the last shot of the post-credits sequence

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still prefer modern Sonic if for only how he looks in the comics but if this was the new dsign period I don't think I'd mind that much.

Like, this is just a genuinely good design that itt blows my mind we ever had to deal with the first one.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Is the old cut of the movie now considered lost footage? Will people try to claim to own it and try to sell ot on ebay or something

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
The movie would be better if Tails replaced that random white guy