• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

The TakeOver is at heart an old school beat 'em up inspired by games like Final Fight and Streets of Rage. Although the gameplay is based on these classic games it offers an extended combo system, fast gameplay and modern visuals. Using a combination of full 3D backgrounds and high definition pre-rendered sprites, the game is designed with Full HD in mind.

Now in Early Access on Steam, coming to Nintendo Switch late 2018/early 2019.

The Early Access version is content complete, but is still being fully tested for bugs and needs a few other things finalized before hitting the Switch.

Published by DANGEN
Developed and Programmed by Pelikan13
Produced by Matt McMuscles
Music by Yuzo Koshiro, Little V

DnbaYWmVAAAeUNs.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
featuring the voices of:

Takahata101 (Team Four Star)
Sarah Anne Williams (Persona 5, Little Witch Academia, HXH)
Marc Swint (Street Fighter V, Pokemon Sun/Moon)

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
but is still being fully tested for bugs and needs a few other things finalized before hitting the Switch.
Just like the kickstated version of wiiu of the 90' arcade racer that was supposed to come out 3 year ago and this same developer has been radio silent about it. Not even the PC version came out.

I'm not sure if this game is good or not, but be aware that this developer has a bad history regarding tranparency.

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Just like the kickstated version of wiiu of the 90' arcade racer that was supposed to come out 3 year ago and this same developer has been radio silent about it. Not even the PC version came out.

I'm not sure if this game is good or not, but be aware that this developer has a bad history regarding tranparency.
That was actually on Nicalis holding the game back

The developer got the rights of the game back from Nicalis last year, but was in the middle of making this game

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks a lot better than the trailer I saw months ago. Only complaint is that too many enemies are just standing around. Other than that, looks great and a lot of fun. I love beat em ups back in the SNES/GEN era so hoping this turns out good.

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I should also note that the trailer itself was edited by Truongasm, who has done a lot of work with Matt McMuscles (and other cool peeps like our very own Rising Superstar Liam Allen-Miller) in the past.

also, here's the track from the trailer Little V made as well if anyone is interested

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
So why he didn't update the kickstart site?

My understanding is the deal he made with Nicalis meant he wasn't allowed to talk about what happened to the game.

I'd be interested to learn how and when he got the game back, I know there's been murmurings about him trying to get it back but I haven't seen official confirmation anywhere (not that I've been paying much attention).

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I'd be interested to learn how and when he got the game back, I know there's been murmurings about him trying to get it back but I haven't seen official confirmation anywhere (not that I've been paying much attention).
i thought i remembered Matt saying Pelikan13 got it back, but now that i think about it he could of said he was trying to get it back

its been a while since i listened to the podcast episode he talked about it on

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
i thought i remembered Matt saying Pelikan13 got it back, but now that i think about it he could of said he was trying to get it back

its been a while since i listened to the podcast episode he talked about it on

Yeah, that's the last I remember hearing about it and I think he was more spitballing than talking about anything concrete.

I hope he does get his game back, if only so people can get closure.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya

Just FYI I am doing QA for The TakeOver and I have heard stuff about 90s Arcade Racer and what happened to it. There are unfortunately reasons that he can't talk about the game at all and it sucks for everyone involved. I wish I could share more but this is probably too much as it is. I can't speak for that game, but The TakeOver is definitely coming out!

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looks really REALLY derivative with some extremely stiff looking gameplay.

I'd be down to hear some of Yuzo Koshiro though.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
The art style choice is peculiar.

I'm not sure if KI style of prerendered graphics will be everyone's cup of tea.

Then again people were comparing SoR4 to friggin' flash so whatever.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
The art style choice is peculiar.

I'm not sure if KI style of prerendered graphics will be everyone's cup of tea.

Then again people where comparing SoR4 to friggin' flash so whatever.
yeah, it's p specific taste wise, but the people behind the game also really love KI

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad the genre is getting a resurgence but goddamn; I think every single one of these games I've seen has an art style I don't like.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad the genre is getting a resurgence but goddamn; I think every single one of these games I've seen has an art style I don't like.

This one looks better than the one the ex-Rare team was pushing, at least.

Come to think of it, are there any current/WIP brawlers with a traditional pixel art aesthetic and no kooky character designs? Fight 'n Rage almost fits the bill, if not for the anthro angle.

I wonder if Zubaz is a secret unlockable character.

Nah, they'd have advertised a playable Baz.

He's in the trailer, towards the end. Promoting him any more, especially to people who don't know, probably isn't necessary.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
I can't decide if I actually like the art style or not.
Will get for switch anyway but I don't know about the presentation. too bad the female character is once again some superhot jessica/blaze/etc wannabe.

edit: I think I dislike the animations or lack of. It looks (intentionally?) very stiff.

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Featuring Zubaz, from Shovel Knight, Dive Kick, and Indivisible.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit is this a tribute to Sega?

I see Streets of Rage, OutRun and After Burner all in one package.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
SO EXCITING ! 3D ACTION GAME !

(shoutout to Momoka for that line)

Super excited for this.

Also is it a fucking Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub Zero reference at 1:25 ? That terrain reminds me of it.

Also Baz finally getting more screen time is always good