windupcrow

Banned
Nov 3, 2020
Are we sure the petoganist is even in the screenshot? Kondo implied the protagonist's colours would be related to 'daybreak' and the other two characters seem to fit that bill far more.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Whatever it is, just hook me up. I like Rean as a character, but I'm definitely ready for someone new. Except I won't actually look into details until we get Hajimari so it'll be a while yet.

Oct 28, 2017
I love everything about this announcement except that the main character is a black haired swordsman with a long coat. I swear to god Falcolm make ANYBODY else the main character. I'll fucking take a silent protagonist at this point.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the upgrade in the new engine is less about model fidelity (although there is a subtle upgrade) but rather model...flexibility? Ever since the transition to 3D, Cold Steel (esp 1-2) can feel like a puppet show. The scene at the end of Hajimari in the new engine shows an heightened fidelity of character animation that should allow more dynamic scenes

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Can't really get excited for this after CS4. I swear this shit better not be four games that are each 70+ hours long again.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I love everything about this announcement except that the main character is a black haired swordsman with a long coat. I swear to god Falcolm make ANYBODY else the main character. I'll fucking take a silent protagonist at this point.
Going from Estelle (and scripted romances) and Lloyd to Rean (and harem bullshit) was just... disappointing.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Two barrier points for me in this new series:

1) Only Japanese at this time. If it never reaches NA, I will never get around playing it. Although I am sure this a barrier that will eventually be passed.

2) Turn-based has gone the way of the dodo. Even with the option of going command-based with a input/pause system is not something I want. Did not like the combat systems in FF XII or VIIR.

Yet another great series with casualty of turn-based combat.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Trials have kind of written themselves into an avengers situation of if there is a new world ending threat why dosen't "blank" just show up to solve it all the time..
Rean might as well be trails jesus at this point its hard to believe any MC will be as ultra destiny child as he was

I do hope since this is a new starting point the stakes will be a bit lower anf the events more low key,, more akin to the first sky game.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
the new engine shows an heightened fidelity of character animation that should allow more dynamic scenes
well hopefully Falcom will come up with better ideas during the cutscenes because character animation is only part of the problem.
For example in Cold Steel 3
this cutscne was really funny attack at the train
Basically while Rean and Randolph do not move and do absolutely nothing, Fie & Laura move and hold Shirley and Duvalie.
The strange thing is seeing Shirley running over Rean, towards the train while Fie actually moves and stop her lol: Rean does not even move a single leg.

Really Falcom do things better please

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
I would wait to see the final thing before writing a post mortem of turn based jrpg.
Anyway at least there is DQ

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is this a PS4 game at its core? Hopefully the game has substantially better graphics than the previous ones.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the line "commands are input in real time instead of pausing" makes me think more of stuff like old school ATB or Grandia's combat system than anything.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
the upgrade in the new engine is less about model fidelity (although there is a subtle upgrade) but rather model...flexibility? Ever since the transition to 3D, Cold Steel (esp 1-2) can feel like a puppet show. The scene at the end of Hajimari in the new engine shows an heightened fidelity of character animation that should allow more dynamic scenes
Yes please.
Visuals have been totally fine since CS3, while character animation, esp. in fights, remained quite bad. If the new engine can improve that, I'm happy.

I don't mind a self insert MC like Rean or Lloyd. Reans problem has always been lazy / copy-paste writing due to the huge amount of characters. So a smaller cast sounds great.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Really need to catch up on these. Played the first two Trails games and already own 3 of the games after that (3rd, Cold Steel 1 & 2), but there's just so many games at this point that it feels intimidating. And I'm also torn between waiting for the 2 games we missed to come out in English or biting the bullet and trying to get through them in Chinese.

Oct 28, 2017
Yes please.
Visuals have been totally fine since CS3, while character animation, esp. in fights, remained quite bad. If the new engine can improve that, I'm happy.

I don't mind a self insert MC like Rean or Lloyd. Reans problem has always been lazy / copy-paste writing due to the huge amount of characters. So a smaller cast sounds great.

Lloyd was great cause he was just some guy, no chosen one, his backstory tied into the central plot in a very loose manner too. Estelle as well, she was an outsider whose only initial claim to fame was being the daughter of another character. Rean was like the blackhole-chosen one. You can certainly write a well done chosen one narrative but I'm more partial to MCs that rise to the occasion rather than being chosen.

Really need to catch up on these. Played the first two Trails games and already own 3 of the games after that (3rd, Cold Steel 1 & 2), but there's just so many games at this point that it feels intimidating. And I'm also torn between waiting for the 2 games we missed to come out in English or biting the bullet and trying to get through them in Chinese.

You probably already know this (and doing it legally requires some hula hoops) but the existing fan translation of Zero is amazing and the existing translation of Azure is at least as good as NISA's output, and the Zero team is doing an Azure translation.

Still getting caught up on the Trails games... it's kinda stupidly long at this point. Crossbell together is like... 100 hours easily. Then Cold Steel 1 to 3 is like maybe 200 hours? Like goddamn 1 hour a day for an entire year.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Lloyd was great cause he was just some guy, no chosen one, his backstory tied into the central plot in a very loose manner too. Estelle as well, she was an outsider whose only initial claim to fame was being the daughter of another character. Rean was like the blackhole-chosen one. You can certainly write a well done chosen one narrative but I'm more partial to MCs that rise to the occasion rather than being chosen.
Ok, I can see that. CS1 and 2 were fine in that regard, as he was a regular student. But esp. CS4 is too much relying on his chosen one status.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
All I am excited for is that we are finally moving on to Calvard. The Erebonian arc was good it just overstayed its welcome.

Edit: Looking at the Gematsu article this caught my eye:

"The game will have a proper ending."

Hopefully that means no quick cliffhanger ending out of nowhere like in CS1 and CS3.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
I don't remember but with Calvard are we 60, 70 or 80% done with the overall arc?

Edit: More pics thanks tu Guan

EpXqpQMXMAA-Vik

EpXkzqFXYAE4lqj

EpXk5xEXIAAVwkT

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
New region, new clothes, new friends, same Rean. The new Ash Ketchum. IDon'tKnowWhatIExpected.gif

I like the red haired dude's design tho. Make him the mc pls.

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
Slightly nervous about the battle system but it does seem to not be totally action-based, so I think it could turn out okay, I certainly wouldn't mind something closer to Grandia or whatever.

I like Rean but I really hope next MC is just a (mostly) regular dude and not a chosen one the plot revolves around.

Bonding events suck, hope they go away

Oct 28, 2017
Alright at least from the front and coverart the profile of the new MC is very different from Rean. Face is squared which is anime-speak for older person. I'm assuming it the same guy from the white part of the sleeves.

I am extremely committed to proving that this guy is, in fact, not Rean to save myself some sanity.

Naha-

Feb 6, 2019
The Rean curse is gone, thank f god.

He's not bad but i'm so tired of him, even if CS3 made me liked him a bit.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well hopefully Falcom will come up with better ideas during the cutscenes because character animation is only part of the problem.
For example in Cold Steel 3
this cutscne was really funny attack at the train
Basically while Rean and Randolph do not move and do absolutely nothing, Fie & Laura move and hold Shirley and Duvalie.
The strange thing is seeing Shirley running over Rean, towards the train while Fie actually moves and stop her lol: Rean does not even move a single leg.

Really Falcom do things better please

Yeah if cutscenes can look more dynamic by having characters move, or sway at least, while other characters are talking...that would be nice. Either everybody's running towards a destination, or only one person speaks at one time while everybody stands in place staring. Lol. Idk. Cold Steel 4 really made me think about all of the shortcuts that Falcom took in what was clearly cutting development costs.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't mind if it had only 3 or 4 playable characters this time tbh. Cold Steel was far too bloated for me, as much as I liked most of the characters.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I've been struggling to finish CS3 after Zero/Azure. It's just such a step down in narrative, worldbuilding, your connection to the characters, the combat...

The prospect of even more wheels-spinning and sprawl in CS4 means I'd probably be more excited to replay the Sky arc on a new platform (Switch!) or something.

Wouldn't mind if it had only 3 or 4 playable characters this time tbh. Cold Steel was far too bloated for me, as much as I liked most of the characters.
Yeah, having to reevaluate my setup and all my gear and abilities every five minutes in CS3 is rough. There are, like, two dozen party members.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Very nice. Definitely swooping this up when it get localized. Look at the platform description, I doubt there will be a huge difference between PS4 and PS5. I am guessing they will do like they have been doing with having timed exclusive for PS consoles, then Switch/PC releases because I doubt they changed their engine enough to not have it run on Switch.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah im on team just dont bother with any romance this time around even if its a set one.
It gets stale and formulaic as if you're just checking boxes if every game needs some romantic sub-plot.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably one of the few who thought Lloyd was far worse than Rean in terms of character. The former felt far more boring and lacked any grit.
When I got see a little of Lloyd's older brother personality I wanted a switch so bad lol.
The problem definitely comes from having Rean in so many games compared to Lloyd tho.

Anyways I hope they give us a MC like Estelle or one that isn't overly nice and bland like Lloyd/Rean.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
I'm probably one of the few who thought Lloyd was far worse than Rean in terms of character. The former felt far more boring and lacked any grit.
When I got see a little of Lloyd's older brother personality I wanted a switch so bad lol.
The problem definitely comes from having Rean in so many games compared to Lloyd tho.

Anyways I hope they give us a MC like Estelle or one that isn't overly nice and bland like Lloyd/Rean.

Estelle and Kevin are still the peak protags. Damn I wish Kevin makes a return.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
If anyone can do action RPG combat correctly, it's Falcom... even though the Trails combat system has started to wear thin, it's still pretty refined at this point and it's one of the "go tos" for modern day turn-based combat, so it'll be sad to see it go. I just hope they don't do some semi RTS thing like the original Gagharv games, or old CRPGs... really don't like that style much.

Also I'm hoping we also eventually see one-offs in some of the other, smaller Zemurian lands - Ored (don't know much about here), North Ambria, Jurai, Remiferia, those mysterious islands south of the continent...

Last edited:

Eren Jäger

Jul 19, 2020
I'm really curious about Calvard and Eastern Zemuria. But before that, the West has to get Hajimari no Kiseki and see the conclusion to western Zemuria.

And all this Rean and Cold Steel hate feels really weird to me.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Estelle and Kevin are still the peak protags. Damn I wish Kevin makes a return.

Yes how could I forget Kevin. He was literally peak MC material in the entire franchise. Like going from Kevin to Lloyd is a huge downgrade. Kevin's character was everything I wanted from a male protagonist. His personality was top tier.

Both Estelle and Kevin were the only protagonists that were worth a damn. I do hope Falcom gives up a Mc like Kevin and not some overly nice guy bland Mc. Like I don't even dislike Rean it's just we've had him in too many games.

You are reminding me how much of a top tier game Sky 3rd was for me.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really curious about Calvard and Eastern Zemuria. But before that, the West has to get Hajimari no Kiseki and see the conclusion to western Zemuria.

And all this Rean and Cold Steel hate feels really weird to me.

Don't get me wrong I don't hate Rean and in fact he definitely has some good sides to him. However, I think the issue lies in him starring in too many games compared to everyone else.