• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
https://www.gamereactor.eu/news/714103/New+Xbox+studios+told+to+realise+their+wildest+dreams/
Microsoft has been snapping up capable game studios of late, with Inxile and Obsidian the latest to join summer acquisitions Ninja Theory, Compulsion, Playground, and Undead Labs. Those new assets, coupled with the platform holder's existing portfolio, demonstrate the company's new-found approach as they look to wrestle the initiative back from Sony and bring more high-quality first-party exclusives to the next generation of Xbox consoles (as well as flesh out Game Pass, no doubt).

Part of the plan, by the sounds of it, is to arm these new studios with big budgets so they have the time and resources to make the games of their "wildest dreams". Well, that's according to a YouTuber by the name of Boogie2988, who recalled a conversation with Xbox's Mike Ybarra. According to Boogie, he asked Ybarra why the company had picked up so many studios at the backend of this console generation. Here's what he said:

He [Mike] said we basically went in there to those companies and said: "what project do you wanna make?" And they are like "what's our budget?" And he's "I don't think you understand, that's not our question, our question is what games do you want to make? We are Microsoft and we have the budget, we just want to know what game you want to do, what are your wildest dreams".

I'm super happy that Xbox/Microsoft is taking this route and letting them run wild. We're gonna see some pretty damn cool games in the coming years.

give me an unlimited budget if old.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox has been knocking it out of the park for a solid two years now. Can't wait to see all of these changes really start to pay off when next gen hits.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Cool, but unlimited budget and wild ambitions can sometimes lead to crushed dreams
Will see what happens

Deader2818

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I still error on the side of caution. They seem to be saying all the right things but I want to see results before I get too excited about it.

Hopefully they let them do what they want and not try to force Gaas models into it like they have been doing for awhile.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
I think playing it safe hasn't worked that well in the past for them with halo and gears, so why not go crazy with some new ideas.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Hopefully this is true. MS should also make sure to manage their studios well. Managing 13 studios (and possibly more) is not easy task. Overall though I am optimistic to see what happens.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
That would be a huge change from this gen when games like Fable and Scalebound were meddled with and ended up being canceled. Well meddled part is mostly with Scalebound but still.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Boogie as the source doesn't make this reliable. It's broken telephone at worst, empty hype at best. It's not even worth discussing unless it comes directly Ybarra himself.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
This is nice to hear, but I do hope that means some really strong and concise visions coming from these studios. Horse by committee, and all that.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I look forward to Obsidian's new project "Radioactive Land: Atlantic City"!

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
And they are like "what's our budget?" And he's "I don't think you understand, that's not our question, our question is what games do you want to make? We are Microsoft and we have the budget
Who is gonna believe this though? Even MS has a budget let alone the Xbox division.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
"we just want to know what game you want to do, what are your wildest dreams [...] and then tell you 'we don't think you can pull it off' or 'there is no market for that' or 'can you make it in 18 months?' "

No, but seriously. I think Phil Spencer (and the people in his team probably too) understands that good game designers have a passion for certain things they love and find awesome about and in games. Just let them try to make what they think is awesome and not delegate them to do mercenary work that some market analysts that don't play games think would be best.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
We do not provide a platform for Boogie2988 or his content here. Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.