• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
The news is a few days old. Searched and didn't find a thread.

Link.

The mandate, enacted in June, "prohibits a school from permitting any child to be admitted to such school, or to attend such school, in excess of 14 days without sufficient evidence that the child has received all age appropriate required vaccinations," according an official publication from the New York Department of Health, Office of Children and Family Services, and the State Education Department.

Those 14-day grace periods started expiring this week, which meant school officials barred students from going to class or began removing them from schools, to be picked up by their parents. (To be clear, the students could return to school if their parents had them vaccinated.)

State health officials told BuzzFeed News that 26,217 unvaccinated New York children in public schools, private schools, parochial schools, daycare centers, and prekindergarten programs claimed religious exemptions during the 2017–18 school year. New York ended religious exemptions for vaccines in June, following the worst measles outbreaks the state had seen in decades.

Paris Pappas, 43, told Newsday that the ban left local parents in "absolute hell."

"We're just watching everybody else's school life go on, and my life has stopped, basically," she said, adding that she plans to homeschool her daughters, ages 14, 12, and 6.

Faced with no other options — except vaccinating their children — other New York parents also posted about beginning to homeschool their children.

Up until the new law was passed, unvaccinated children could be enrolled in school or childcare centers if their parent or guardian held "genuine and sincere religious beliefs" against immunization. Medical exemptions are still allowed, but a physician with a New York license must first certify "that such immunization may be detrimental to a child's health."

A photo of a crying first-grader holding a goodbye card signed by his teacher and classmates has been shared nearly 2,000 times on Facebook as an example of the human cost of the new law.

"This little boy can't go back to school. Why? Because our state legislature thinks we're a bunch of ignorant pariahs," Rita Palma, founder of the anti-vax group My Kids, My Choice, wrote in the photo's caption. "So the sensible thing to do is deprive children who want to go to school of an education. Makes perfect sense, right? This is so horribly wrong."

Palma and other New York anti-vaxxers have been comparing the new law banning religious exemptions to the Jim Crow laws and segregation of white and black people in America.

One person took to comparing the new law to Anne Frank — who was killed by Nazis — in a tweet that read, in part, "Anne Frank was denied an education and forced to home-school."

Twitter/FB screenshots from anti-vaxxers at the link.

New York Supreme Court is going to hear a challenge to the law, but it went into effect this past Monday.

Redhood

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Good riddance. I can never understand anti vaxxers and why the moment grew so big in the states. Any articles or references why it did?

Fei

Oct 25, 2017
I have kids in NYS public schools. Couldn't be happier my kids will be safer now.

Redhood

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
But weren't the parents vaccinated when they were kids. What specifically triggered this thought process? Did the grandparents not say anything?

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to imagine the mental hurdles these parents have to jump through to blame the schools for their ignorant choices

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
This is obviously a really good thing, but I feel bad for the kids with parents who will choose to home school them over getting them vaccinated.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Do the schools give out free vaccinations? The only negative I can think of is parents can't send their kids to school because they can't afford Vaccinations. That's the only one I can think of though.

Anyone who willingly doesn't want their kids vaccinated is a fool and need to learn what a health hazard it is. Shame their kids can't learn that at school because of their decisions.

Those comparisons at the end... wow.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Rich white people who don't like being told what to do.

It's not just rich people. It's also poorly educated people who believe anything they read on Facebook. I had jury duty a few months ago and out of the 60 people questioned, 58 of them said they only believe what they read on Facebook and that's their sole news source. It's fucking frightening.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
I work at the NYS Department of education, not a state employee, but I physically work in the building on other projects. There have been protests in front of the building over this law, and I even got into it with one of the protestors. Fucking idiots, I'm glad they've lost.

Since NYS went DDD we've finally been able to pass some good laws.

Friends of mine homeschool their kids and they said that their little home school group has been overrun with anti-vaxers. They don't like it one bit.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
What exactly is the bible passage that says "thou shall not protect thy children against disease"

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Do the schools give out free vaccinations? The only negative I can think of is parents can't send their kids to school because they can't afford Vaccinations. That's the only one I can think of though.

Anyone who willingly doesn't want their kids vaccinated is a fool and need to learn what a health hazard it is. Shame their kids can't learn that at school because of their decisions.

With the vast majority of these people it's not a price issue and them believing vaccinations are evil.

Rich white people who don't like being told what to do.
RIch kids will likely be in private school anyways and this doesn't affect them.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

vaccinations are subsidized for kids that cannot afford them nationwide

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Idiocy knows no bounds

Edit: the anti vaxxers I mean. I can't believe how stupid they are >_<

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

For the .0001% that cost is really the issue they're likely poor enough to get subsided health care where they can still easily get the vaccines. This is pure ignorance and religious garbage.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
It was a long time coming but it honestly is best for the safety of the public. I feel sorry for the kids affected by the parents poor decisions tho.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What exactly is the bible passage that says "thou shall not protect thy children against disease"

it's not really religous thing -- there are tons of secular leftist anti-vaxxers that think essential oils are all you need

to answer the question though, the religious ones think god/prayer will protect them against disease

both groups believe in "vaccine injuries" or whatever bs so "might as well" isn't an option

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
Good. I feel bad for the kids, but an outbreak can't be risked again.

I wonder if this also includes the yeshivas? I know there were some bans months ago in some parts of Brooklyn, but I don't know if this affects all of them now.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Palma and other New York anti-vaxxers have been comparing the new law banning religious exemptions to the Jim Crow laws and segregation of white and black people in America.

One person took to comparing the new law to Anne Frank — who was killed by Nazis — in a tweet that read, in part, "Anne Frank was denied an education and forced to home-school."

fuck off
literally nothing else to say to these quotes

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
good those children are potentially walking time bombs. remember measles was pretty much gone but anti vaxxers brought it back because they think they know more than actual doctors. phd's are no match for google searches.

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
I know a few cruchy affluent Marin county families that after extensive conversations, fear more then anything that nothing will actually happen after vaccinating their kids.

In a weird sadistic way, they want bad things to happen to their kids if they do vaccinate, but they know nothing will happen so they fight to perserve their illogical belief.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Wait until these kids grow up. Not all of them are gonna sign on to their parents' insane beliefs and they will have sacrificed a lot for those beliefs. There is going to be hell to pay for these parents

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's sad that it has come down to this, but it must be done.

Hopefuly the Courts uphold this.