• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
With all the "FAILING NEW YORK TIMES" slander by Trump, you'd think they'd be holding a grudge about that if anything.

I wouldn't think that.

Look at the ego dripping from every word of that "statement."

Trump and Republicans could threaten the NYT and their journalists until the cows come home, and the NYT would still bias their coverage towards them for no other reason than Trump gives them all the obsessive attention they crave.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
So this petty, foot stomping child shit, a-hole is willing to sacrifice democracy with their "bumbling old fool Biden" stories.

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my God that non denial. And they start with "Ugh, if you only understood how important we are!"

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
i had to click on that response multiple times and check that it was an actual nyt website and not a spoof

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
That response is just so funny. I don't understand how you can be so fucking stupid.

"I heard the Chairman murdered that guy for driving slowly in the left lane."
"Let's put an end to this. For anyone who understands the role that the left lane is supposed to play, it should be troubling to find someone driving slowly in it..."

May 21, 2018
Ever wonder why the world is so shitty? Because so many positions of power, both political and corporate, are populated by petty infantile pricks like this.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
NYT is only good these days when they do their hyper in-depth analyses of certain events like the Beirut Explosion.

But their Op-Eds, domestic political coverage, and police coverage has really gone down the shitter. Before today I thought it was just due to capital interests, but now I know it's capital interests but also editorial ego so large that it has its own gravity to pull their heads up their own asses.

Jera

Sep 19, 2022
Hey, while we're tag teaming NYT, can we please pass a law forbidding actual political news from being paywalled?

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
I found the Reddit AMA 2 of their reporters did a few months ago and their responses are wild.

I may have to actually go a bit harder on my earlier criticism, this shit is wild:

Elplywood
1 Why do you guys consistently frame things as bad for Biden but never bad for Trump?
2 Why do you guys talk about Biden's age as a liability but never Trump's?
3 Why do you never write anything that celebrates the strong economy?
4 Why don't journalists ever take photos before and during Trump rallies to prove the crowd is never as big as he says it is?
5 Why do you never push back when you know Trump's answer is a lie/misinformed?
6 Why do journalists continue to fail to ask well-thought out, undodgeable questions? When an answer is insufficient, why don't other journalists ask the same question?
EDIT: With over a hundred upvotes, clearly people want these questions answered.
NYTimes
1 Why do you guys consistently frame things as bad for Biden but never bad for Trump? I think what you're reacting to is that, at the moment, Biden is an unpopular president seeking a second term while Trump is a popular figure inside his party who is winning primary races.
RoadsideBandit
Half of the country hates Trump and the other half hates Biden. Yet you continue to portray Trump differently and more favorably then Biden as the comment above shows. "Biden is an unpopular president", "Trump is a popular figure". To a large percent of the people Trump is an unpopular ex-president seeking a second term. Yet you don't say this.
NYTimes
Aww, RoadsideBandit. That's not very fair. I said Trump is a popular figure inside his party.​
ā€”Mike​

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I find it funny how disaffected voters are meant to eat shit and vote for Biden to save democracy but the NYT gets a free pass to literally do their best to ensure he loses.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I may have to actually go a bit harder on my earlier criticism, this shit is wild:

By this same token Biden isā€¦also a popular figure inside his party. He's consistently held a higher percentage of his party's support than Trump has in the primaries held thus far.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Hey, while we're tag teaming NYT, can we please pass a law forbidding actual political news from being paywalled?

I was just lamenting this yesterday regarding the campus protests, anyone looking for neutral reporting was looking at paywalls, anyone looking for comfirmation of what they already throught would have zero difficulty finding it.

I don't want to rob the NYT of its business model but I don't think you can go tut-tutting like they did in that statement today and not be more careful about when you paywall and when you don't.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
NYT is only good these days when they do their hyper in-depth analyses of certain events like the Beirut Explosion.

But their Op-Eds, domestic political coverage, and police coverage has really gone down the shitter. Before today I thought it was just due to capital interests, but now I know it's capital interests but also editorial ego so large that it has its own gravity to pull their heads up their own asses.
Oh yeah, there's a big ego thing going on. "But we're the Times."

It's a shame. Their reporting on the arts and culture is great even when it's a bit out of touch - wonderful articles on theater, literature, romance, and so on. Some of their subsidiaries, like The Athletic, are also fantastic. But their domestic political coverage and op-eds have gone so far down the shitter since 2016 that their coverage has gone from something I check regularly to something I actively avoid.

Their whole angle is like a parody of being balanced and non-partisan, a bubble of out-of-touch coastal liberals bending over backwards to try to prove they're not coastal liberals. It truly defies satire sometimes.

I'm going to see if I can convince my family to cancel their subs and get their news from Reuters or AP instead.

Jera

Sep 19, 2022
I was just lamenting this yesterday regarding the campus protests, anyone looking for neutral reporting was looking at paywalls, anyone looking for comfirmation of what they already throught would have zero difficulty finding it.

I don't want to rob the NYT of its business model but I don't think you can go tut-tutting like they did in that statement today and not be more careful about when you paywall and when you don't.
I just think the paywalling of critical information is fundamentally wrong and no explanation for why they do it is justifiable. It's not my problem, but people being misinformed about every critical issue due to lack of access to good reporting is everyone's problem. I'm not going to propose a solution to this problem, because frankly, I'm not informed enough about the business to say what the solution is, but I think SOMETHING needs to change here. Make your money elsewhere, guys.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Well, now I feel bad paying them the... 2 euros? A month to get access to the crossword puzzles on the app

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like biden needs to do random interviews with a few school papers in the NY area.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I just think the paywalling of critical information is fundamentally wrong and no explanation for why they do it is justifiable. It's not my problem, but people being misinformed about every critical issue due to lack of access to good reporting is everyone's problem. I'm not going to propose a solution to this problem, because frankly, I'm not informed enough about the business to say what the solution is, but I think SOMETHING needs to change here. Make your money elsewhere, guys.
I mean the problem is if you don't paywall you need to run ads, which everyone hates and lots of people block and need to be large and annoying to stand a chance of generating the returns advertisers are listening to or you need a bunch of rich patrons who will just fund media for ideological reasons, neither of which are options you want most news outlets going on. The reason all of the misinformation and low effort right wing garbage isn't behind a paywall is because it costs almost nothing to make compared to real reporting and a lot of times it has some right-winger who owns a multi billion dollar company making coffee cup holders for hunting rifles paying for it.

Its really hard to figure out how to fund news right now; there have been some really good cases made that the government should be operating some sort of fund that's carefully isolated from partisan influence to encourage a wider variety of news outlets, but that's not something individual papers can account for. The actual news, in the actual newspaper, used to always be behind a paywall: a physical subscription, or a purchase price at your local convenience store. And it always used to have tons of ads, papers were primarily funded by selling ad space. The issue isn't that news hasn't figured out how to be free, the issue is that its placed right next to and competing against garbage that isn't real news coverage.

You can carve out exceptions for really critically important stuff like COVID safety, and a lot of outlets did for at least a couple of years. I think there's an argument that political coverage should be the same, but since political coverage drives a lot of clicks you're also then cutting out a significant revenue stream that you almost certainly do actually need.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Biden is sitting for an interview with Howard Stern today.
Howard is a big supporter of Biden and very vocal of how dangerous Trunp and MAGA are. This is a big get. He's interviewed Hillary and Bernie in the past.

I truly hope this was done as a fuck you yo the NYT.

thehill.com

Biden joins Howard Stern for live interview

President Biden on Friday joined radio host Howard Stern for a live interview, sitting down with the broadcaster at his New York City studio. The interview caught many by surprise, as it was not liā€¦

President Biden on Friday joined radio host Howard Stern for a live interview, sitting down with the broadcaster at his New York City studio.

The interview caught many by surprise, as it was not listed on Biden's public schedule. He spent Thursday night in New York City after attending a fundraiser hosted by actor Michael Douglas in Westchester County.

Stern asked Biden questions centered on his life, including meeting his first wife, playing football and stories about his stutter growing up. He also spoke of his time in law school, in which he called himself a "jerk" for not taking the schooling seriously, including ditching textbooks.

Biden is also recounting the loss of his first wife as well as meeting first lady Jill Biden. Stern has repeatedly praised Biden's family, calling them "amazing," when speaking about how Biden's family members stepped in following his first wife's death.

Stern reportedly sought an interview with Biden during the 2020 campaign, but it never came together. Former Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton sat down with Stern in 2019 for an interview.

Stern had in the past been friendly with former President Trump but has since become an outspoken critic of the former president.

The shock jock gained popularity through his nationally syndicated radio show, which moved to SiriusXM in 2006. Biden aides quickly promoted the interview on Friday morning, and the president's team has stressed that they will seek to meet voters where they are through nontraditional avenues.

Last edited:

Jera

Sep 19, 2022
I mean the problem is if you don't paywall you need to run ads, which everyone hates and lots of people block and need to be large and annoying to stand a chance of generating the returns advertisers are listening to or you need a bunch of rich patrons who will just fund media for ideological reasons, neither of which are options you want most news outlets going on. The reason all of the misinformation and low effort right wing garbage isn't behind a paywall is because it costs almost nothing to make compared to real reporting and a lot of times it has some right-winger who owns a multi billion dollar company making coffee cup holders for hunting rifles paying for it.

Its really hard to figure out how to fund news right now; there have been some really good cases made that the government should be operating some sort of fund that's carefully isolated from partisan influence to encourage a wider variety of news outlets, but that's not something individual papers can account for. The actual news, in the actual newspaper, used to always be behind a paywall: a physical subscription, or a purchase price at your local convenience store. And it always used to have tons of ads, papers were primarily funded by selling ad space. The issue isn't that news hasn't figured out how to be free, the issue is that its placed right next to and competing against garbage that isn't real news coverage.

You can carve out exceptions for really critically important stuff like COVID safety, and a lot of outlets did for at least a couple of years. I think there's an argument that political coverage should be the same, but since political coverage drives a lot of clicks you're also then cutting out a significant revenue stream that you almost certainly do actually need.
I pretty much think something like your last page is ultimately what could work.

Ultimately, my concern IS with critical information. Knowing about Kylie Jenner's latest fashion on the red carpet is NOT critical information. I understand operating as a business, but that doesn't come before the state of our institutions. Nothing is more important than the simple and easy dispersing of vetted information, nobody's business health should ever come before that.