• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
merlin_205222062_2466zajb7.jpg

In the last two years, the pandemic has brought us many works of art that have tried to definitively capture humanity's struggle. There was that movie with Leonardo DiCaprio turning pink as he shouts at the top of his lungs for people to look up at the comet hurtling toward Earth. It was so on the nose that it provoked little thought: Yes, we are divided, likely doomed. What of it?

No medium has come as close to perfectly encapsulating Our Situation as video games. In the beginning, when many of us were in lockdown and baking mediocre sourdough, we played Animal Crossing, which involves finding comfort in simple tasks like fishing and gardening while stranded on an island. This year, we are playing Elden Ring, a ruthlessly difficult game that gets only harder the more you play it. That about sums up what it's been like to live in a pandemic.

Elden Ring has a story that has something to do with a ring, but more important is its design: It's an open-world game, meaning you can do whatever, whenever you want. Players will ride a horse through a poison swamp, sprint across molten lava and traverse a crumbling bridge surrounded by tornadoes, fighting or evading enemies along the way.

No matter what you choose to do, you'll probably die again and again trying to do it, sometimes for hours. That's because the slightest mistiming of a button press will make you fall to your death or open you to attack. Even the most experienced gamers will die dozens of times in a dungeon before reaching the boss — the main villain at the end of a game level.
It's difficult to imagine Elden Ring having this sort of cultural cachet in any other era. In Year 3 of the pandemic, as vaccination rates have risen and hospitalization cases have dipped in some areas, offices, schools and restaurants have reopened. To many Americans, the dragon has been slain. Yet in other parts of the world, a new variant of the coronavirus is driving another wave, and in New York, cases are beginning to climb again.

As some of us let our guard down to have some semblance of a normal life, we are bracing ourselves for that stupid bird around the corner that still might kill us. Our hard-learned lesson of the pandemic — to expect disappointment and more struggle — has trained us well for Elden Ring.

Where the DiCaprio movie, "Don't Look Up," was polarizing because it picked a side that criticized anyone in denial of the apocalypse, Elden Ring's choose-your-own-adventure format is more inclusive for a populace that can't seem to agree on anything. In Elden Ring, there is no right or wrong.
this is the type of incisive media critique one can only get from the venerated new york times. thank you.

www.nytimes.com

In Elden Ring, the Struggle Feels Real (Published 2022)

The video game evokes the hardship and disappointment of the pandemic, but also the hope of human communion.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wrong, the late-pandemic game experience is Kirby. We spent the whole pandemic being told we can't put things in our mouth, that we have to wear masks and can't lick doorknobs and then Kirby comes and lets us put anything in our mouth, from cars and lightbulbs to fans and vending machines.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
NYT: "Elden Ring is a true work of art reflecting the human condition during troubling times."

Elden Ring: "Try finger, but hole."

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
These people would've had a field day if Breath of the Wild was released during the pandemic

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Where the DiCaprio movie, "Don't Look Up," was polarizing because it picked a side that criticized anyone in denial of the apocalypse, Elden Ring's choose-your-own-adventure format is more inclusive for a populace that can't seem to agree on anything. In Elden Ring, there is no right or wrong.
just requoting this to highlight the insanity radiating from this article

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
This is at least better than the usual "Is this F2P ad game the Mario killer?" articles.

Apophis

Nov 6, 2017
Germany
Dark Souls was a thing way before the pandemic. And that's what it is. Open World Dark Souls. I agree that you only get this type of "review" from non gaming outlets. It's a great game with a lot of flaws. Nothing more.

AAION

Dec 28, 2018
cast out and alone: we interviewed 8 maidenless tarnished who feel their voices aren't being heard

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
What they didnt say, is that Elden Ring owes its success to the game that started it all,Demon Souls which was inspired by the financial crisis in 2008

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
People get paid to write this.
Of course, look at this gem of journalism:
It's difficult to imagine Elden Ring having this sort of cultural cachet in any other era. In Year 3 of the pandemic, as vaccination rates have risen and hospitalization cases have dipped in some areas, offices, schools and restaurants have reopened. To many Americans, the dragon has been slain. Yet in other parts of the world, a new variant of the coronavirus is driving another wave, and in New York, cases are beginning to climb again.
I... what

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
The fact that multiple truly bizarre ER articles from big publications have dropped today is fucking wild.

I feel like my brain is melting.

Jan 11, 2018
Dark Souls was a thing way before the pandemic. And that's what it is. Open World Dark Souls. I agree that you only get this type of "review" from non gaming outlets. It's a great game with a lot of flaws. Nothing more.

Eh, plenty of the mainstream gaming reviews have been hyperbolic as hell, they just didn't take the pandemic angle like this. Honestly, your words here sum up my feelings about it as well.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Elden Ring is nothing compared to covid, the pandemic would have been a hell of a lot easier if we all had a magic double-jumping horse

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Every time I see something that frames a video game as something essential due to the pandemic, I roll my eyes. And that includes Animal Crossing. It's just insulting to every other game developed and released. Any game can be used for escapism purposes, and as much as I loved Elden Ring, it's not any less or more important than other releases *because* of the pandemic.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
I will say, I do think the Pandemic fostered conditions that enabled ER to achieve the popular heights it has.

The rapid ascent of TikTok and Streaming has had an undeniable role in bringing the Souls games to a mainstream audience

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Well I thought the horny ranni fanfics were the weirdest written shit coming out of this game but here we are

Ex Lion Tamer

Oct 25, 2017

That feels pretty reductive. To me and many others it is more than the sum of its parts and is a work of art that speaks to perseverance in the face of overwhelming odds. Same with dark souls.