• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Good lord. This is completely nuts. All it will ever do is make life harder for these people who already have a hard time sustaining themselves.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
"They spend too much Danish money," said Dorthe Pedersen, a hairdresser, daubing chestnut dye on a client's hairline. "We pay their rent, their clothing, their food, and then they come in broken Danish and say, 'We can't work because we've got a pain.'

Wow that really sounds familiar. She should have ended her rant with "Make Denmark great again!"

I'm now curious if Dorthe Pedersen ever took a sick leave of absence or how many foreign languages she speaks.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i feel really happy now that denmark lost yesterday on penalties

the racist-supporting majority of that country can fuck off

i feel sorry for the good people still living there

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I would imagine that some parents choose to not send their children to daycare/kindergarten because they don't believe in it, want to educate their children themself don't share the values of the society they live in. What else can the government do?

While it doesn't sound good, you can probably understand that they want people to learn the language. =/
They could impose mandatory day care of all children from a certain age. There's no need to treat these people as actual second class citizens.

Coolwhip

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When a certain group of your society has a lot of unemployment you need to do something. It's easier to call everything racism and look away though, while newcomers form closed off communities and don't learn the language of their new country.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I would imagine that some parents choose to not send their children to daycare/kindergarten because they don't believe in it, want to educate their children themself don't share the values of the society they live in. What else can the government do?

While it doesn't sound good, you can probably understand that they want people to learn the language. =/

Not discriminate.

Also people not learning the language are not really hurting anybody else but themselves.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
I had no idea Easter and Christmas were Danish.

And, uh.

Is being different to others a crime now? What the hell, Denmark?

Yeah that quote is fucking bananas. They are being punished harder for being non-Danish.

That bit about ankle monitors and curfews for youth, woof. That's next-level racist.

Some parts are iffy, but mandatory classes in danish is a good step. Learning the language makes it easier to integrate.

That's the only bit that isn't extremely objectionable.

Family

Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Yeah yeah, just imagine the news about Christians splitting guests based on gender, I'm sure everybody here would be like yup, totally acceptable

WTF are you talking about?

Makes zero sense.

Imagine coming into a thread about the brutal racism and discrimination of a minority only to parrot racist concerns. If your concern isn't about their oppression and is just about racist critiques, you're probably racist and definitely part of the problem.

Lots of religious orders have conservative weddings where genders are segregated, Jewish people, many Hindus and Mormons. But of course the racist never seems to care about this.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
When a certain group of your society has a lot of unemployment you need to do something. It's easier to call everything racism and look away though, while newcomers form closed off communities and don't learn the language of their new country.

Discriminating them will only push discriminated people to form more closed off communities. Treating them as second class citizen doesn't help them succeed or integrate in any way.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In a cold and gray Denmark morn another little baby child is born.

This sounds awful, almost comically so. It also sounds like a journalist taking some major liberties in interpreting the facts. They wouldn't formally call it an outright ghetto would they (would they? If they do yeah that's bad), and how is teaching about Easter favoring Christians? As a semi militant atheist even I think it's good to know about the customary holidays. Or should we agree teaching immigrants about Thanksgiving is harsh on non colonialists or something. Forced schooling too, sounds awful, were it not that all European countries have "forced schooling" until the age of 16-18; here they look for Children who are disadvantaged by their social upbringing and are given extra. You could call it terrible, you call it social democracy.

Can a Dane confirm this article?
I would imagine that if I would immigrate to China, Japan, South Korea, somewhere in the Middle East that I would learn their holidays as well even if I don't have to celebrate them if I don't want to.

I'm now curious if Dorthe Pedersen ever took a sick leave of absence or how many foreign languages she speaks.
She speaks the language of the country she lives in. If she had to immigrate somewhere I would expect her to learn the language of the new country as well. Should be understandable, right?

They could impose mandatory day care of all children from a certain age. There's no need to treat these people as actual second class citizens.
Don't know if Denmark has these rules, maybe this is a stronger one because specific groups keep dodging daycare/kindergarten and school, etc. .
To me it kinda seems like damned if you do and damned if you don't, either way some side will scream about the government doing something wrong. Either it is too little effort in integration or it is racist.
My question then would be, how solve this problem? Why do people not integrate into the new country they moved to?

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Iffy? You picked out literally the only positive thing and forcing kids away from their parents when they're one year old is ridiculous.
The only parts that I object to is 1 year olds, too early, and it only being used for people in ghettos.

It shouldn't be scandalous to ask people to give some (mandatory classes) to get some (wellfare). That is one path to better integration. This is just too harsh and too narrow.

Coolwhip

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
She speaks the language of the country she lives in. If she had to immigrate somewhere I would expect her to learn the language of the new country as well. Should be understandable, right?

It's not her concern if others learn the language. It shouldn't be your concern either unless you're a social services employee. Yes, not learning the language is a great handicap for any immigrant, but it's not a crime.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London

Some of these proposals are absolute rubbish and treat them like second-class citizens. If a politician referred to Compton as a ghetto and recommended they double punishments *just for them* they'd be frightfully called racist for it.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not discriminate.

Also people not learning the language are not really hurting anybody else but themselves.
Over the years I came to the conclusion that you have to force people to learn the language, etc. . Doesn't matter which country, as long as it doesn't go against moral ideals you should integrate and abide the rules.
Otherwise, how would you counter people simply not integrating? People always criticize everything but nobody ever has any ideas to actually get people to integrate into their new country.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
In theory and the idea behind it isn't too bad.

Help the child integrate from a young age especially in regards to language and with that massively improve the child's chances for a better life growing up. Eventually this would also help the mother integrate more as well with the child fully being part of Danish society.

The way they are going about this though seems incredibly harsh and strict

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Integration and a greater sense of community are fine ideals, but there is a point where enforcing that ideal can become oppressive

This isn't just Denmark - I loved it there when I visited last year - this 'anxiety' seems to be prevalent across the world at the moment. I still mostly blame the financial crash and making the public pay the price. Its been a perfect storm: the war on terror, Syria, refugee crises, ISIS attacks in Europe, grooming gang stories, moral panics.. People are being motivated by their fear and becoming adversarial instead of thinking about what is actually needed. These are scary times.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017

You really think that's what she cares about? The language? The only thing she cares about is her tax money giving comfort to "outsiders". It's ridiculous to pretend otherwise.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
In my country unemployed people are forced to do certain things too. The only difference for newcomers should be language though. The values part sounds extreme.

Which is fine. Sending unemployed people to relevant courses is perfectly fine. For some people those relevant courses would be learning the language since that's the skill they lack. That's perfectly fine.

Saying that people from certain areas (ghettos) should be under a different law than people in other areas it's not fine, it's discrimination. The perfect route for apartheid.

Coolwhip

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Over the years I came to the conclusion that you have to force people to learn the language, etc. . Doesn't matter which country, as long as it doesn't go against moral ideals you should integrate and abide the rules.
Otherwise, how would you counter people simply not integrating? People always criticize everything but nobody ever has any ideas to actually get people to integrate into their new country.

The language truly is key. You become isolated if you don't speak the native language, I have seen it with my ex. In a country that speaks fluent English mostly, a lot of doors stay closed for you if you don't speak the language.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know Denmark was that in to Christianity

They're not AFAIK. Christmas is just a cultural tradition which nowadays has very little to do with Christianity (and didn't come from it in the first place - we still call it Jul (Yule) here). At least that's how it is here in Sweden, and I believe Denmark is very similar in that regard. Christmas and Easter are important traditions to tons of people who are not the least bit religious. So I don't believe this is actually about "making Muslim children Christian", it's about Danish culture and traditions. Which doesn't mean this is the right way to do that, but yeah.

Last edited:

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
"They spend too much Danish money," said Dorthe Pedersen, a hairdresser, daubing chestnut dye on a client's hairline. "We pay their rent, their clothing, their food, and then they come in broken Danish and say, 'We can't work because we've got a pain.'

Wow that really sounds familiar. She should have ended her rant with "Make Denmark great again!"

Danish sounds broken even when natives speak it.
My father is Danish and I never got Danish citizenship because he gave it up to be an American but recently I haven't been so disappointed about that because recently Denmark has been sounding like an arrogant little xenophobic shit of a country. Their immigration laws are already hard as concrete, there's no reason to punish and discriminate against the people that make it through.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
The only parts that I object to is 1 year olds, too early, and it only being used for people in ghettos.

It shouldn't be scandalous to ask people to give some (mandatory classes) to get some (wellfare). That is one path to better integration. This is just too harsh and too narrow.
Yeah I actually quite like the idea if it's for everyone who's on long term welfare. Those kids generally don't have the same opportunities as kids of working parents, so mixing with richer kids on daycare and getting extra schooling could provide a leg up for them to escape their poor upbringing.
However daycare is hella expensive, so I'm not sure how that can become affordable. In a way I can see the pragmatic side being a stimulus package for designated poor areas with lots of immigrants. It's the punitive side I'm less positive about.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They're not AFAIK. Christmas is just a cultural tradition which nowadays has very little to do with Christianity (and didn't come from it in the first place). At least that's how it is here in Sweden, and I believe Denmark is very similar in that regard. Christmas and Easter are important traditions to tons of people who are not the least religious.
Not that it matters, but Norway and Denmark (among some other countries) still have state religions in the constitution.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Integration and a greater sense of community are fine ideals, but there is a point where enforcing that ideal can become oppressive

This isn't just Denmark - I loved it there when I visited last year - this 'anxiety' seems to be prevalent across the world at the moment. I still mostly blame the financial crash and making the public pay the price. Its been a perfect storm: the war on terror, Syria, refugee crises, ISIS attacks in Europe, grooming gang stories, moral panics.. People are being motivated by their fear and becoming adversarial instead of thinking about what is actually needed. These are scary times.

Salvini wants the 2019 elections to be a referendum on immigration policy because of course he does - parties like his and NR rely on peoples' fears to drive them to the polls. Arrivals are down massively since 2016 yet everyone seems to think there's a Muslim gang ready to rape you down the street. They're not destroying Europe, we are.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
In theory and the idea behind it isn't too bad.

Help the child integrate from a young age especially in regards to language and with that massively improve the child's chances for a better life growing up. Eventually this would also help the mother integrate more as well with the child fully being part of Danish society.

The way they are going about this though seems incredibly harsh and strict
This is how I feel as well.

Family

Banned
Feb 25, 2018

LMAO

Jesus christ

Europeans almost never learn the language of African, Middle Eastern, or Asian countries they immigrate or work in. Like never.

I should have my head examined for trying to correct such an ignorant post. But if you want people to integrate more you have to end job discrimination and racism. You need to invest in their communities. You know how the best way to ensure it doesn't happen? Discriminate against them.

As for learning the language are you seriously claiming the children of immigrants don't learn the language of the country they are born and raised in?

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like the opposite of Apartheid though. It's forced assimilation.
That's what this is aiming at, but it is still making them second class citizens with fewer rights. And I don't see this policy being the end of it. If you already normalize terms like "Ghetto", then it's only a small step to actually enforce segregation and force them (and their children and children's children, etc.) to stay there

Deleted member 274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina is mostly white and sadly we are racist as fuck
I'm referencing the times when people used to point at these homogenous european countries to remark just how fucked up more deeply diverse countries, like the US, were.

White people are the most civilized animal there is until a person of color shows up.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
LMAO

Jesus christ

Europeans almost never learn the language of African, Middle Eastern, or Asian countries they immigrate or work in. Like never.

I should have my head examined for trying to correct such an ignorant post. But if you want people to integrate more have to end job discrimination and racism. You need to invest in their communities.

As for learning the language are you seriously claiming the children of immigrants don't learn the language of the country they are born and raised in?

We move abroad with money and generally don't settle permanently, they arrive broke and stay permanently.

Simple as that, really.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn that's harsh. Had no idea even though I live in Finland.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not her concern if others learn the language. It shouldn't be your concern either unless you're a social services employee. Yes, not learning the language is a great handicap for any immigrant, but it's not a crime.
We had this talk about civility. When does someone stop with nicely asking someone to do something in a country? We will always have this discussion, one side will scream racism, while the other screams that the government doesn't do anything. I personally think that some government involvement and force is needed because some people just don't want to integrate.
If I would immigrate to Japan, I would consider it normal that they would force me to learn their language. By the way, as far as I know you are forced to learn the Japanese language to stay long term in the country. Communication is important in a human society, if you don't speak the language how do you communicate with others?

Some of these proposals are absolute rubbish and treat them like second-class citizens. If a politician referred to Compton as a ghetto and recommended they double punishments *just for them* they'd be frightfully called racist for it.
I agree that some, even this proposal sounds rubbish. The core idea isn't that bad though, just the execution is lacking. You need to find the right amount of asking and force for both sides to land on the sweat spot.

You really think that's what she cares about? The language? The only thing she cares about is her tax money giving comfort to "outsiders". It's ridiculous to pretend otherwise.
Yes, this lady in the article might be racist, I don't know her therefore I can't know. But the general idea of learning the language is correct.

They're not AFAIK. Christmas is just a cultural tradition which nowadays has very little to do with Christianity (and didn't come from it in the first place). At least that's how it is here in Sweden, and I believe Denmark is very similar in that regard. Christmas and Easter are important traditions to tons of people who are not the least bit religious. So I don't believe this is actually about "making Muslim children Christian", it's about Danish culture and traditions. Which doesn't mean this is the right way to do that, but yeah.
You could say that it came from Paganism and "returned" to it over the years despite Christianity co-opting it to gain ground in the past. It really has little to do with religion.
Just because I learned about both doesn't mean I am not a Christian or religious. Same would be for Islam, if I learned about their holidays or general celebrations doesn't mean I am now a believer.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
We had this talk about civility. When does someone stop with nicely asking someone to do something in a country? We will always have this discussion, one side will scream racism, while the other screams that the government doesn't do anything. I personally think that some government involvement and force is needed because some people just don't want to integrate.
If I would immigrate to Japan, I would consider it normal that they would force me to learn their language. By the way, as far as I know you are forced to learn the Japanese language to stay long term in the country. Communication is important in a human society, if you don't speak the language how do you communicate with others?

I agree that some, even this proposal sounds rubbish. The core idea isn't that bad though, just the execution is lacking. You need to find the right amount of asking and force for both sides to land on the sweat spot.

Yes, this lady in the article might be racist, I don't know her therefore I can't know. But the general idea of learning the language is correct.

You could say that it came from Paganism and "returned" to it over the years despite Christianity co-opting it to gain ground in the past. It really has little to do with religion.
Just because I learned about both doesn't mean I am not a Christian or religious. Same would be for Islam, if I learned about their holidays or general celebrations doesn't mean I am now a believer.

The execution isn't "lacking", it's straight xenophobic and is designed that way to pander to voters.

I think mandatory classes on language are a great idea! The rest is nativist garbage.

Family

Banned
Feb 25, 2018
We move abroad with money and generally don't settle permanently, they arrive broke and stay permanently.

LMAO

If you have money, do what you want. If you don't, accept discrimination?

This might be the single most ridiculous post I've come across here. Please think before you write. Or just don't write at all.

The Europeans ones that do stay permanently in Africa, Asia, and the Middle East do not learn the language. Stop defending racist double standards. Racists do that.

Aaron Stack

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
WTF are you talking about?

Makes zero sense.

Imagine coming into a thread about the brutal racism and discrimination of a minority only to parrot racist concerns. If your concern isn't about their oppression and is just about racist critiques, you're probably racist and definitely part of the problem.

Lots of religious orders have conservative weddings where genders are segregated, Jewish people, many Hindus and Mormons. But of course the racist never seems to care about this.

Only certan jewish sects do this.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LMAO

Jesus christ

I should have my head examined for trying to correct such an ignorant post. But if you want people to integrate more you have to end job discrimination and racism. You need to invest in their communities. You know how the best way to ensure it doesn't happen? Discriminate against them.

Some live INCREDIBLY segregated lives, in communities full of people who speak their "own" language rather than Swedish. So yes, some children of immigrants in these neighborhoods do have rather poor Swedish (and I guess Danish) skills, and don't consider themselves Swedish. That's a big integration problem.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
What is this horse shit?
I live in Denmark and this is the first I hear of this. There's nothing about this in Danish news. What are NYTimes sources? I see at the bottom that someone is reporting out of London.

I know the Danish People's Party are a bit out of whack and propose all kinds of bullshit that noone takes seriously and that the government won't approve but, come on, where are they getting this information from?