• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Thought this effected the gaming side too with cross media ramping up for gaming adaptions.

Sony Pictures Entertainment and Apollo Global Management, an investment firm, have been in discussions about teaming up for a joint bid to acquire Paramount, two people familiar with the situation said Thursday.....

The two companies have not submitted an official bid, as Paramount is still in exclusive conversations with Skydance, said the people, who were granted anonymity to discuss delicate negotiations. But the potential deal with Skydance has generated significant investor pushback....

Apollo previously reached out to Paramount about buying the company for at least $26 billion, including debt. But Paramount's board proceeded with its more advanced conversations with Skydance, amid questions about Apollo's financing. A joint bid with Sony would almost certainly reduce those concerns...

The terms of the joint bid are still being worked out, and it's possible that Sony and Apollo may not make an offer for Paramount, one of the people said. One structure could have Apollo take a minority stake in the joint venture, with Sony becoming the majority owner and operating the company. At some point, Apollo could cash out its investment, possibly by selling its stake back to Sony.....

If Sony prevailed in its bid, the company would most likely operate the Paramount studio as a label within its own media empire, fusing the studio's marketing and distribution arm with its own.

More here:

View: https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1781092876551696694?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1781092876551696694%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
A lot of great stuff on P plus and it just makes sense for sony to get them before they get too expensive.

Oct 25, 2017
So far their acquisitions of crunchyroll, funimation, and right stuf have been pretty bad for consumers so surely people will not want them involved in this deal

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
off the top of my head id say the biggest factors are Nick and Star Trek
Mission: Impossible, Top Gun, and Transformers are also all pretty big IP for them. D&D maybe could be as well.

So far their acquisitions of crunchyroll, funimation, and right stuf have been pretty bad for consumers so surely people will not want them involved in this deal
Jokes on you, someone in the other thread is already saying that one major studio buying another major studio is not just a good thing but the best case scenario because I guess they think that would mean there would be fewer streaming services, or something.

Dunfish

Oct 29, 2017
What an awesome time for a company that operates in Japanese Yen to buy US Dollar based assets.

/s

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm personally doubtful this deal would cause regulatory concerns with it being a joint venture.

Also Paramount and Sony have the 2 lowest shares of the US market (so says Wiki) of the big 5. Even combined they'd still be below Disney and Universal/NBC. There's no streaming merger happening from this either. Lots of plus points for any regulator concerns but it would still be a fight I'd imagine.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
considering the FTC let Disney buy all of Fox (thats not fox news), i dont see this getting stopped
To be clear, the FTC/FCC didn't let Disney buy all of Fox that's not Fox News. Major Fox assets that weren't the 20th Cenutry Fox film studio, like the Fox television network and Fox Sports, were also spun off into the new Fox Corporation.

That was also under a different administration, one that was much more hands-off (and also one that seemed to really like Fox News for some reason!).

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
Sony seems pretty content to make content for other streaming services, wonder if they'd shutter P+ or change their strategy

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
As bad as Sony is I don't think they could do worse Star Trek material than Paramount has been pumping out.

Status
Not open for further replies.