Best Food City

• New York City

Votes: 115 61.8%
  • Chicago

Votes: 71 38.2%

• Total voters

GameOver

Jan 26, 2021
I know there is a food rivalry between NYC and Chicago. Which city has the best food?

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
200.gif

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I live in Chicago and adore the food here. It's an excellent city to eat in.

NYC is a scene on a different scale. The breadth of options is just wider, straight up.

Our hotdogs are better, though.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Chicago has some amazing food and I know it's sacrilege but Portillo's is a better hot dog than I've had at a dozen different food trucks and hot dog stands in NYC.

That said, having traveled to both cities more than a dozen times each, it's New York. Everything from the dollar slice to $300 steaks, and every food truck and unique cuisine you can imagine in between.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Oh hey, they actually got tavern style pizza. Also, Old Town ale house is legit. I'll definitely give this a watch later.

That said, the food scene in Chicago is so diverse and so incredibly deep that you could probably make a full hour video like this for every single neighborhood. The city is a food paradise. I haven't experienced enough of New York to make a direct comparison, but Chicago sets an extremely high bar.

greatgeek

Oct 25, 2017
Mostly grew up in Chicago, but lived most of my life in PA and TX. Visiting family in Chicagoland is always a food binge, more than anything. Some Rosati's Pizza locations have opened in Harris County recently (two afaik, with another opening sometime this year), and that's been nice.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think Chicago is a much better food city than NYC.
I am not a NYC hater at all, food or otherwise, but it's not terribly close for me.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Native New Yorker here. I've been to Chicago twice and I think they have better Mexican food than what I've seen here. Most of the Mexican cuisine here hails from Puebla which is pretty homogenized. And I'm pretty sure Puerto Rican food is about on par if not better. I've never had Puerto Rican food as I'm of Dominican descent but it's similar.

The one reason I'd give the edge to NY is on Queens alone due to the sheer diversity of cuisine. Jackson Heights alone is a beautiful tapestry of food. I'm not the biggest fan of hotdogs but I had Portillo's once when I was in Chicago and it was cool. Deep dish pizza also grew on me; I don't have it here in NYC.

Now I'm getting nostalgia for Chicago and it's making me a bit sad. I miss the hell out of a bunch of friends who live there. I haven't been back since 2019 for Star Wars Celebration. :(

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
As someone from the Chicago area, it's New York. But Chicago is great and is only getting better. Diversity is king, and while Chicago is diverse, its not NYC.

It might surpass NYC one day, but not yet.

b33r

Oct 25, 2017
Surprisingly enough there was a good spot for Italian beef sandwiches in San Diego. I'm in Connecticut now and I don't think they even exist here. That combined with missing S.D. taco shops...

The pizza is good here though.

On topic, I'm in the why not both category.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
As a New Yorker I enjoyed Lou Malnatti's a lot when I went to Chicago, but really disliked Portillo's.

My trip to Chicago was short so I can't even begin to make a call, but I'd love to go back. Lots more to eat.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
NYC has about 3x the restaurants just due to size from what I can see.

My experiences in Chicago have been better but I'm only a few hours away and have friends/relatives in Chicago, so I'm not relying on online reviews or just going to the touristy areas of Manhattan.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Chicago runs through my veins so I'm biased here but you can't beat Chicago beef, hot dogs or pizza. When you want to go upscale, you're hardly starved for options there either.

That said, New York does have a really great sense of diversity that spreads across the whole landscape whereas Chicago's best restaurants are divided largely based on the area you're in. You're not going to get something like Superdawgs in the Loop, but you're also not going to be finding somewhere like Everest near Superdawgs. In comparison, New York has a healthy mix of everything within a fairly close proximity.

I'm still going to go with my own city, of course, but I'd never pretend that New York cuisine isn't top notch too.
So true. Nothing like a Chicago dog with extra ketchup.
You know what you did here, and I want you to know that I do not appreciate it.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As someone from Chicago who hasn't ever been to New York I feel like New York is going to win simply by virtue of scale, they have more people and thus more options so if we take the top 10 of each New York naturally has the advantage just on the basis of statistics. That said it's kind of a pointless question when both have such a wealth of options that you'd likely be hard pressed to find someone who has ever eaten every good dish from every good restaurant either city has to offer

maspajamas

Jan 1, 2020
I'm going to be moving to Chicago in a few months here from outside LA and have been dying to try any of the food there. Not the biggest fan of fish or poke so itching for a great dog or deep dish

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Chicago food looks so bomb for real. I'm a New Yorker and stuff like all the hot dog places and Italian beef sandwiches look so good.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this was going to be about the magazine going for a food tour of Chicago.

Full disclosure: I once waited in line for two and a half hours to get the burger at Au Cheval.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago has some of my favorite food places. But the diversity of choice in NYC is frankly unmatched anywhere. If I am a foodie taking a trip based on nothing but cuisine, I'm going to NYC.

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
One has a Corner Bakery literally on every corner and the other doesn't. Check and mate.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
Chicago people, is Rick Bayless's food any good? He's a TV personality I actually find kind of charming and his food always looks great, and I've always said if I go to Chicago I'm going to eat there but I also have a feeling it's actually a tourist trap.

Edit: holy shit how is this charming man in anyway related to Skip I just learned this!!

freshair

Nov 21, 2017
I'm going to be moving to Chicago in a few months here from outside LA and have been dying to try any of the food there. Not the biggest fan of fish or poke so itching for a great dog or deep dish

Just moved to Chicago 2 months ago from the LA area as well and you're going to love it. I've been trying new restaurants every weekend for 8 weeks now and it.is.amazing.

TestMonkey

Nov 3, 2017
Surprisingly enough there was a good spot for Italian beef sandwiches in San Diego. I'm in Connecticut now and I don't think they even exist here. That combined with missing S.D. taco shops...

The pizza is good here though.

On topic, I'm in the why not both category.
Where in San Diego?