• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the movie format was to fit Toriyama's writing or if Toriyama's writing was to fit the movie format? I know that with Battle of Gods he said that he wrote way too much for a movie, so I wonder if he could be convinced to write for television.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Yea what's the deal with that? Is there any particular why they suddenly pulled the plug and started exclusively making movies?
There were heavy rumors that a super continuation was in the pipeline not long after Super ended, but for whatever reason either the rumors were bad "apparently the source was animators at Toei", or for whatever reason it was scrapped so they could move the teams onto One Piece/ Digimon/ Dragon Quest.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
In that same interview they confirmed they see the anime as a separate timeline from the manga and used the events up to Broly as their only reference

Maybe they'll do a multiverse and we can check up on the Ocean dub Deadzone-World's Strongest-Tree of Might timeline. I miss my boy Icarus.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Broly was by far the best content coming from DB in decades, and Super was extremely mediocre for the vast majority of its run. I'd rather them just releasing movies if it means there's actually gonna be quality content all the way through.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
Never seen everyone universally begging for something that they just won't give us.

Take our fucking money or eyes or views or whatever man. Just give us a new anime please. The tournament of power, new characters and universes had so much promise for new storylines…plus there's manga content to adapt and revise…

Cmon man

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
"Somehow Evil Buu returns"
Anime version of the Android 21 arc would solve that easily.

Or make Super Dragon Ball Heroes canon and bring in this dude.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
How does Toei's lineup look in terms of anime projects? Curious if they're still balls deep in a bunch of things or if things are ending which could be a factor in a potential anime revival.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Not convinced at all there will a new anime anytime soon. Everything from Toriyama seems like he just wants to do movies. I'll believe it when I see it.

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
What's up with Japanese current obsession with anime movies? It feels like most big name animes are being released just as movies, Dragon ball, Gundam, etc. Since they're just movies, most don't come to any streaming platforms which makes it very difficult for me to watch them.

Demon Slayer Mugen Train is the highest grossing movie in Japanese history.

Budget
$15.75 million

Box office
$504 million

That's why studios do it. People love seeing this stuff at the movies.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
What's up with Japanese current obsession with anime movies? It feels like most big name animes are being released just as movies, Dragon ball, Gundam, etc. Since they're just movies, most don't come to any streaming platforms which makes it very difficult for me to watch them.
Gundam's UC Timeline has been pretty much OVA and Movie only for quite a while now, really the last (original) UC TV Anime was Victory back in 1993, other Gundam timelines have TV anime and Witch From Mercury is coming later this year.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
I don't care if it's a movie or series and how long it takes to be made,
JUST keep Dragon Ball going throughout my entire lifetime.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
Gundam's UC Timeline has been pretty much OVA and Movie only for quite a while now, really the last (original) UC TV Anime was Victory back in 1993, other Gundam timelines have TV anime and Witch From Mercury is coming later this year.
I think the failure of Victory really turned Bandai off of doing UC on TV, despite the UC movies/OVA's doing very well/making more money I believe off merch sales due to older fanbase.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
That's Finn, another Buu-like demon created by the Makaioshin (Dabura's people) while fighting the cast and Kaioshin in the Dark Demon Saga.

Another reason why the Dark Demon Saga needs to be adapted for Dragon Ball Super. The Demon realm and the Kaioshin/Makaioshin dynamic is exploration fodder. And then we can have a followup to Dabura being in heaven and being rescued and revived in comical fashion.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I think the failure of Victory really turned Bandai off of doing UC on TV, despite the UC movies/OVA's doing very well/making more money I believe off merch sales due to older fanbase.
yeah, I also imagine Bandai sees UC as a premium "brand" for the franchise at this point and every new thing has to be a whole event with merch associated with it and such.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Technically, they did release tv cuts of Unicorn and The Origin, although obviously a while after their original releases.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
I do not understand why people want the anime back asap
Do you want random nonsensical comical filler with with low to mid quality animation and the occasional good animation during critical arc moments (Moro and Granola by that point)?
The manga only has Moro and Granola arcs after ToP
Give it some more time to grow, or do yall want Boruto 2.0?

I want a return to Z's dark and bloody storytelling. For this to happen, it would require a new series title to distance itself from Super.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
I do not understand why people want the anime back asap
Do you want random nonsensical comical filler with with low to mid quality animation and the occasional good animation during critical arc moments (Moro and Granola by that point)?
The manga only has Moro and Granola arcs after ToP
Give it some more time to grow, or do yall want Boruto 2.0?
Most people don't want the manga adapted. Anime Super did it's own thing after the movie retellings and was better for it.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
How does Toei's lineup look in terms of anime projects? Curious if they're still balls deep in a bunch of things or if things are ending which could be a factor in a potential anime revival.
Dragon Quest Dai and Digimon will be ending soonish and as far as I know there's no other currently announced shows on the horizon.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
DBS manga just straight up sucks, I hope they will keep ignoring it. Time to make Janemba or Cooler canon.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017

I'm glad the Hathaway movie came to Netflix or I've would have never seen it. I still haven't seen the G-reco movies yet. I want to watch the Code Geass movies too, but they're not streaming.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
As someone who has been avoiding the manga to the best of my degree because I want to see it animated, its VERY surprising (and yet kinda not surprising) to hear that it isn't liked (its Dragon Ball, I KNOW cant avoid spoilers on critical events/transformations, but i try to avoid the plot as much as possible)

I take back what i said, as long as they do some fun filler ideas (Like Boruto did with the traveling in past shit) i def dont mind it coming back asap

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has been avoiding the manga to the best of my degree because I want to see it animated, its VERY surprising (and yet kinda not surprising) to hear that it isn't liked (its Dragon Ball, I KNOW cant avoid spoilers on critical events/transformations, but i try to avoid the plot as much as possible)

I take back what i said, as long as they do some fun filler ideas (Like Boruto did with the traveling in past shit) i def dont mind it coming back asap

Oh yea a lot of us hate it, straight up hoping if the anime returns that it'll just do its own thing instead of adapting them

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

It's always going to depend on where you look, a lot of people like the manga.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017

I think where most of us stand is the Moro arc could be done well if it's handled a little differently by the dragon room.
Granola has a lot of key plot points that I never want to see in an animated DB anime/ movie.

The nice thing is the manga and anime seem to be completely different continuities, so hopefully there's no pressure for them to adapt Moro.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Tons of people like the Super manga, just like tons of people like Boruto.

The loudest detractors are always the minority. Always.