Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously it's early in the gen but for me so far no. As a PS5 owner with the exception of Sony's first party titles, things have not lived up to my expectations. Recent releases like Life is Strange True Colors a game the PS5 should run circles around have absurd loading times and even an exclusive like Deathloop disappoints. Right now it seems like 3rd parties aren't bothering to take advantage of the SSD.

NickMitch

Nov 1, 2017
Not really . but most games being "cross-gen" i am not surprised.

Some games though display this fun thing that "loading tooltips" is up such short amount of time that no human can read them.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Only time I notice is when I play an online game like Splitgate and I load in way before anyone else, because they're on last gen

It doesn't eliminate the actual wait though, because I still have to sit there in the pre-game lobby thing and wait for people to load in too.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
It isn't perfect but it's good enough. My playtime is limited so there were a ton of times in prior gens when I decided not to play a game because of how long it would take to load. I haven't dealt with that since the PS5/XSX launched, so I'm good with how things are.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I don't remember no loading ever being promised, but games load noticeably faster on Series X. The annoyance of having to wait for a load have pretty much disappeared for me altogether.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Mostly. Theres some games that still aren't crazy fast.

But in general I no longer have time to look at my phone when loading.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The only game I don't think to myself 'holy shit it loads so fast' is LIS true colors honestly. I'd say that's pretty great.

It's not even like that game has long loads, it just has last gen loads.

Everything else is so fast

EDIT: People in here really think "loads in 5 seconds instead of 60" was gonna mean no loading screens? I mean on both systems almost everything loads in like 1-4 seconds, it's so fucking fast I'm shocked anyone can front about being disappointed.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To early to tell and even then I'm definitely playing more games now as loading times are almost non existent compared to the previous gens. So definitely lived up to my expectations

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
The loading is significantly faster on my Series X vs my One X. I don't remember "no loading screens" being promised, so I'm generally pleased.

Oct 28, 2017
Miles morales, ratchet, RE8 were practically instantaneous on Ps5 in my opinion and Deathloop is more then fine. I am very happy with the current loading situation on PS5. I will wait for horizon 5 and halo infinite to decide what I think about my series X.

tophu

Oct 27, 2017
Like you mentioned, I've only noticed this for Sony first party games. (Demon's Souls, Returnal, Ghost of Tsushima, Ratchet, Astro Bot, etc.) I don't expect loading times to be drastically shorter in all games until we get out of the cross-gen period in 2 years.

Oct 25, 2017
I used to use loading screens as a chance to respond to texts from my friends, family, and SO. But now I don't have enough time so I just ignore them and keep gaming.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Some games like Yakuza 7, FF7 Remake PS5 it really is almost instant. I've noticed that newer games like Deathloop and Tales of Arise has much longer loading though

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's been great so far! I couldn't go back to my PS4 after experiencing the loading times on the PS5.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I don't remember it being presented as "no loading," but it's so close, I often can't get a bite of a sandwich in before I'm in-game. Even older open-world games (Watch Dogs 2 jumps to mind) end up basically instantaneous with fast travel.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
There are still loading screens, but they're so quick now if they just made it a fade to black it would feel like no loading screens. HUGE upgrade from the awful several minute loads of last gen. Obviously the effect works best on the native next gen versions of games. Psychonauts 2 on Series X for example loads levels in like 3 or 4 seconds as opposed to almost a minute on last gen. Night and day difference.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
Yes its pretty crazy especially with the game Im playing rn (Ghost of Tsushima). Feels like Im playing on a n6400

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Spidey is basically instant load. Some games take time, but I'm pretty sure developers will figure out how to optimally utilize the entire I/O stack as the generation progresses for essentially no load times.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
not as much as i thought. some games aren't really much faster than a PC SSD drive to me, but others are pretty speedy.

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
Depends on the game. Sony 1st party are all really cool and live up to the promise, but something like Tales of Arise is still pretty painful.

Canas Renvall

Mar 4, 2018
There was never any promise of "no loading screens". There was a promise of drastically reduced loading times, and 95% of games (some cross-gen games being the exception) have delivered. And in some cases, there really is no loading. Ratchet & Clank and RE Village shocked me with the fade to black then immediately into gameplay. And on Series X, before my friend got one, we were both playing The Division 2 together and my Series X fast traveled in mere seconds while his One X took about 30-40.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
For games that really take advantage of it? Like Spider-Man and Ratchet? It's fucking insane. 1-2 seconds... You're playing the game.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah PS5 is great with first party games, it blows my mind and reminds me of SNES times.

bruhaha

Jun 13, 2018
Multiplatform (including PC) games are going to have to account for spinning hard drives and SATA SSDs for at least a couple more years. It's a question of whether devs want to spend extra effort designing and implementing a different loading mechanism specific to the few platforms guaranteed to have fast SSDs.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
Yes. Crazy fast loading on ps5, especially first party.

it's no SNES cartridge, but it's fast enough.

Pretty sure that digital foundry worked out that it's actually faster than snes in many cases.
Like FFVII remake is a few seconds from OS into gameplay.

Last edited:

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yup.

I have a PS5 and XSX, so I can see no loading screen comparisons with both consoles first hand.

It really lives up to expectations with PS5 first party games.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
There are plenty of loading screens in level based games, but they sure are short. The real impressive stuff is in games like Spider-Man: Miles Morales that completely skip loading screens even when fast traveling across the entire map.

Regardless of the variety of experiences though, there's no denying that everything is vastly improved over previous generations. I'm satisfied.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah it's pretty great. The slowest loading I've experienced is Deathloop which is like 5 or 6 seconds lol

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
No, and the new fast loading screens have since been normalized to me so like….there is still loading screens. But i don't care because i use that time to look up guides and browse social media.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
It's magnificent. I played the following games on my PS5:
FFVIIR
Metro
Judgment
Astrobot
It Takes Two
Plague Tale

It's a game changer. Loading your last FFVIIR save with a press of the square button from the OS with like 2 seconds of loading is still mindblowing for me. Naysayers should play more native apps probably. Judgment is probably the slowest of these games and it takes like 4 seconds to load.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
Demon's souls was the perfect game show off this feature from the start. You're constantly engaged in the game which is just fantastic.

Mido

Oct 27, 2017
I think the only games I have had to wait for are Microsoft Flight Simulator and The Ascent.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Miles Morales and Ratchet & Clank load levels super fast. It's specially noticeable in Miles when fast travelling. It's nigh instant, it's just a fade to black transition and you're ready to go. Demon's Souls is also very fast.

It's been what I expected it to be.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Near instant loading. It's real, in most next gen games anyway. So yes. Even in cross gen games like Miles Morales, you just go and you're always in the game.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I mean, there're loading times, but I don't see most games' loading screens long enough for it to really bother me. That said, it'd be nice if loading screens did somehow "go away" once more games are built specifically with the newer consoles in mind.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It's obviously not instant in most cases, which I don't remember being promised beyond being faster, but it's still a welcome change. It's already weird whenever I load up something on my PC or Switch and going back to longer loading times.

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
Using high end PCs with SSDs for a decade now, I never expect consoles to magically have "no load" times because they finally got them. People assuming otherwise fell for the marketing hype.