• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yiazmat

Oct 25, 2017
"Strand-based hair can produce amazing results, but using it in real time for games has been a technical challenge for years. This session covers the advances realized by the Frostbite team on the subject and explains improvements in rendering and simulation."

"Footage recorded in real-time, on next-generation consoles."

qjlzVGX.gif

tnEBnxz.gif

6sQlSGE.gif

Hopefully strand-based hair will become the standard this gen.

Last edited:

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
It's really impressive stuff, but seems a bit too swishy in motion. If they toned the movement down a bit it would look fantastic in motion.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Shampoo advertising dollars about to go through the roof

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
yeah not everyone has baby soft thin hair just flopping in the breeze lol. Looks impressive though regardless

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
I'm wondering when we are going to see next gen artificial intelligence? Not strands of hair for crying out loud.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Frostbite seems to me one of the best performing, highest fidelity engines. Like the stuff they are able to do with Battlefield/Battlefront and hit great framerates from what I can tell is insane.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
what happened to tres efx and nvidia hair works?

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
I'm wondering when we are going to see next gen artificial intelligence? Not strands of hair for crying out loud.
Yep, this is where I'm at. This is impressive and all, but I want an evolution of AI and more realistic physics in my games, things I feel have been stagnating in game dev for a long time.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, this is where I'm at. This is impressive and all, but I want an evolution of AI and more realistic physics in my games, things I feel have been stagnating in game dev for a long time.

It's because one is improving visuals, which we don't interact with. The other is game design, and it's a lot, lot, lot harder to improve on these kinds of things.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
When the footage is slowed down the hair looks flowing while the character animation looks like its ticking by, frame by frame. Creates a sort of uncanny valley. Need to see the thing in normal speed.

So this is why the PC version of the game is being pegged back. I figured it had to do with some sort of physics simulation they were always running in the background.

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
It's because one is improving visuals, which we don't interact with. The other is game design, and it's a lot, lot, lot harder to improve on these kinds of things.
Oh no doubt its more difficult than simply upgrading visual fidelity, its just I can't honestly remember the last time we had any real jumps in other areas of game dev like AI and physics. Games are more than just visuals.

Mar 10, 2018
Looks pretty good

But my African-ass hair would acquaint any GPU with the same fate as many a plastic pick or comb: gone. Reduced to atoms.

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
I guess they haven't nailed down the "stick" factor - hair isn't a bundle of plastic threads, they stick together a little bit which is hard to simulate.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no doubt its more difficult than simply upgrading visual fidelity, its just I can't honestly remember the last time we had any real jumps in other areas of game dev like AI and physics.

It's something I want so bad, part of why I enjoyed GTAIV so much was the physics system, but GTAV was a step back and we haven't really had any huge jumps since then. AI is tough, though. Because everything about game design stems from how you are going to interact with the enemies. So making enemies more intelligent has its own drawbacks.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Hopefully there is a large jump in general animation quality during user controlled gameplay. Thats going to provide a far bigger gain for sports titles.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Oh no doubt its more difficult than simply upgrading visual fidelity, its just I can't honestly remember the last time we had any real jumps in other areas of game dev like AI and physics.

Blame the consoles. Devs are ambitious...and I'm sure they would've been further ahead in those other areas if the folks who made these machines didn't forget about the cpu for so long.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
Exactly this...
realistic movement ( body and face ) and realistic human and animal behavior are the things to truly advance in games...
Its the thing I am anxious to see a evolution this gen with more memory, SSD and specially huge upgrade on CPU but it looks that we won't have such upgrade because of the hardware.
It must be much more expensive and difficult to achieve this things then other advances.
I was really hoping that we were going to see sports games with much better animations and much more varied and realistic behavior for non controlled players but it seems that is easier to make more beautiful hairs.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I watched some of the presentation and it's quite fascinating. They have the ability to tone down those values and control how hair operates (see: ponytail and curly hair examples). I think the baby-fine flowing was more for emphasis than how a final look would be. Very cool stuff, and look forward to seeing the improvements and other hair types. This could really be some groundbreaking stuff so we don't have to deal with poor layered textures as hair.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Spider-Man Remastered and Miles Morales also have much improved hair rendering. I bet it was something kinda heavy for those old Jaguars.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Y'all talking about AI this and physics that... you realize technical artists and engineers working on this aren't the ones working on stuff like that right? You can develop things simultaneously...

I want better AI AND better hair. This is promising tech that doesn't seem to be that demanding based on some of the optimizations they talked about (idk the exact data, but they mentioned some techniques they took).

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
So the old Jaguars were the main reason we haven't seen a huge leap hair tech this gen right?

And that zen 2 will give us a boost unheard of?

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Next step is to stop having the hair look like they're underwater or in a Zero G environment. You don't have every strand on your head bob up and down in the same direction when you move slightly.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Seems like it. They released these screenshots before:

joao_felix_ps5.jpg

alexander_arnold_ps5.jpg

Yeah but that is nothing compared to how the hair moves and how they explained the tech behind it. :O

Reemember those Frostbite hair tech demos last year? It seems they are applying them right now in FIFA and this will extend to all their titles:

www.ea.com

Frostbite Hair Rendering and Simulation

An in-depth view into one area of Frostbite's research: hair rendering and simulation.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I'm wondering when we are going to see next gen artificial intelligence?

Define what you mean by this. Because "next gen AI", or how every researcher calls it, self-learning AI, already exists. It is not fun to play, and players will lose 99% of the time when playing against it, so it is pointless to be used for an experience that is supposed to provide a "good feeling" when playing against "AI".

deepmind.com

AlphaStar: Grandmaster level in StarCraft II using multi-agent reinforcement learning

AlphaStar is the first AI to reach the top league of a widely popular esport without any game restrictions. This January, a preliminary version of AlphaStar challenged two of the world's top...

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
We are ONE step closer to CGI Final Fantasy hair physics. 👀

That is very different. I will make it simple but the Frostbite tech is more real hair physics but the UE4 one is like particles and fake physics. Both look cool though but Frostbite one is more accurate and thus more demanding.

Playboi Carti

Jan 1, 2018
Portugal
Hopefully there is a large jump in general animation quality during user controlled gameplay. Thats going to provide a far bigger gain for sports titles.
That'll also come with a lot of input lag. It's not that they couldn't do it until now, they could many years ago. The problem is that you can't have very realistic animations and good responsiveness at the same time. NBA 2K games trade responsiveness for very realistic animations, I don't see FIFA doing that.