• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017

It seems Sony shipped a lot more consoles than Xbox in every part of the world. Both are constraints tho so this isn't about demand, and more about how each company is able to produce and ship before launch.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any comparisons with previous consoles?

Was PS5 the biggest launch ever like in the US and UK?

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Best console launch in France

• 107k - PS5
  • 105k - Switch
  • 95k - Wii
  • 90k - PS4
  • 50k - Xbox One
  • 37k - Xbox Series X/S
And given the hype and restocks sell out in literally 5 sec, it could have topped 150K+ easily

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
Europe is Sony/Nintendo land, we will see if it change when Microsoft will release some games

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
It'll be interesting to see how things continue once more consoles get shipped in, but crazy numbers for PS5.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

• 107k - PS5
  • 105k - Switch
  • 95k - Wii
  • 90k - PS4
  • 50k - Xbox One
  • 37k - Xbox Series X/S
And given the hype and restocks sell out in literally 5 sec, it could have topped 150K+ easily

The thread title needs to be updated to adress that this is best console launch ever in France.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
After the USA numbers and the fact that Xbox went with a Global Launch, I expected them to have bigger numbers in Europe. Was this expected? That Microsoft would produce that many less consoles than Sony?

Oct 27, 2017
Geez, that Switch chart for 2020
Do we know the total shipment numbers worldwide of the PS5 and XSX? I'm assuming MS shipped more to the US, but with how much the PS5 is outselling it in every region, I'm wondering if it's just more popular than the XSX or just had significantly more units shipped overall

• 107k - PS5
  • 105k - Switch
  • 95k - Wii
  • 90k - PS4
  • 50k - Xbox One
  • 37k - Xbox Series X/S
Weren't all of those supply constrained though? The hypothetical potential sales seems like it could be applied to all of them

biglo25

Apr 28, 2020
After the USA numbers and the fact that Xbox went with a Global Launch, I expected them to have bigger numbers in Europe. Was this expected? That Microsoft would produce that many less consoles than Sony?
Microsoft said they waited till RDNA 2 and on all the Series X the production date has like july or even august on them of this year

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
It's literally impossible to find a ps5 in France atm. Hell, I can't even find a fucking charging station.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
It's now clear as day that Sony faced no significant manufacturing setbacks. Still the market is starved for PS5.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019

• 107k - PS5
  • 105k - Switch
  • 95k - Wii
  • 90k - PS4
  • 50k - Xbox One
  • 37k - Xbox Series X/S
There seems to be a pattern, where Sony is shipping around 10-20% more stock to each country (US, UK, Spain and France). With 200k units to Japan on top of that, PS5s worldwide launch must be a lot bigger than PS4's.

Xbox Series worldwide sales probably very slightly above X1 launch, with more regions covered, but with similar or less units per country.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm genuinely surprised Sony managed to get so many more consoles out in the world than Microsoft.
It seems like a significant different in almost every market so far.

Deleted member 86306

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2020
Yeah, like I said in another thread, worldwide Sony will already have a healthy lead.
The bigger the gap gets the harder it will be for Xbox to catch up.

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
Yeah, let's hope so.
What? They release their games day 1 on PC too. They have Game Pass for PC. They have game streaming service for mobile, which is also coming to select smart TVs and iOS at a later date. They have 23 1st party studios now when at Xbox One launch seven yrs ago they had 7. They have openly talked about how they want to expand their reach beyond platform walls.

Their business model is bigger and wider than ever before in whole Xbox history. Dooming and glooming around Xbox gets ridiculous here.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
I mean at least in Australia MS not too supply constrained we have plenty of series S consoles on store shelves.

Anyway great numbers for Sony.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): History of platform warring
It's ok. Microsoft aren't bothered about console sales...

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
What? They release their games day 1 on PC too. They have Game Pass for PC. They have game streaming service for mobile, which is also coming to select smart TVs and iOS at a later date. They have 23 1st party studios now when at Xbox One launch seven yrs ago they had 7. They have openly talked about how they want to expand their reach beyond platform walls.

Their business model is bigger and wider than ever before in whole Xbox history. Dooming and glooming around Xbox gets ridiculous here.
As soon as Xbox launches on smart TVs, console sales will be meaningless to them.

I think it's great that Sony and Nintendo saw such success with selling their latest consoles, but from now on really the only metric for Microsoft is how good the games are.

Deleted member 86306

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2020

That escalated quickly. Meant no offence.
It's just that nothing in this industry is for certain.
MS certainly made some moves. We'll see if people take to them.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
It's ok. Microsoft aren't bothered about console sales...

Well, a few years back when MS announced that all first party games would launch at the same time on Xbox and PC people said, that Xbox would be dead and that it wouldn't make any sense to buy an Xbox. More than half of this forum said that. That's why I have to smile when I see threads like this.

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
As soon as Xbox launches on smart TVs, console sales will be meaningless to them.

I think it's great that Sony and Nintendo saw such success with selling their latest consoles, but from now on really the only metric for Microsoft is how good the games are.
Console sales will probably be meaningless to everyone in a few years when separate console boxes go dodo. I think MS is heading there faster but with wider reach than Nintendo or Sony.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
As good as Gamepass is Microsoft really messed up not having a Halo ready at launch. Numbers would have been much better if it wasn't delayed.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017

• 107k - PS5
  • 105k - Switch
  • 95k - Wii
  • 90k - PS4
  • 50k - Xbox One
  • 37k - Xbox Series X/S
The low stock narrative is not going well. Another disaster for the usual suspects.

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
Xbox doesn't have to "catch up" to be successful.

Their business model isn't dependent about console sales anymore.
Yeah some people don't realise that hardware numbers isn't the main objective for Microsoft.

It's getting people tied into their services. The Xbox hardware is a Trojan horse for them.

Microsoft would rather have a constant stream of revenue from gamepass than what for many is a fixed sum for hardware every 5 years (longer in most cases).

They don't care whether you're playing on PC, Xbox or Xcloud as long as you're subscribed.

It's more important for Sony, hence why they limit the availability of their key software. If Sony's main objective was to have people in their ecosystem in the same way they could have PsNow available on more platforms, and that includes their games on day one, plus release every game on PC.

Console sales will probably be meaningless to everyone in a few years when separate console boxes go dodo. I think MS is heading there faster but with wider reach than Nintendo or Sony.

Before hardware goes completely we'll have digital only consoles. Streaming only consoles is nowhere near ready. I'd say 10 years minimum before that happens.

But the next-gen of consoles will be digital only in my opinion. Games on discs won't be a thing for the latest consoles.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
A few years ago it was phones that were going to kill consoles. Now it's integration into other tech.
Consoles aren't going anywhere.