• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
If you believe the die size to be true, then no matter how high they push the clocks difference is going to be at least 20% which is quite significant, it doesn't align with what Schreier wrote about specs of the two being similar.

The running narrative is that early devkits from both companies stated they wanted 10+TF.

If we are to believe tomwarren he claims that internal first party studios were the only ones privy to the 12 target.

Fast forward to December - Playstation 5 is still around 10 TF and Xbox has a controlled leak to Windows Central of a 12 TF Target.

This explains why earlier in the year Andrew Reiner and other journalists including Klee may have heard PS5 was performing slightly better.

Jan 20, 2019
The running narrative is that early devkits from both companies stated they wanted 10+TF.

If we are to believe tomwarren he claims that internal first party studios were the only ones privy to the 12 target.

Fast forward to December - Playstation 5 is still around 10 TF and Xbox has a controlled leak to Windows Central of a 12 TF Target.

This explains why earlier in the year Andrew Reiner and other journalists including Klee may have heard PS5 was performing slightly better.

That doenst explain why klee continues to say nothing change.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Sorry I might be misremembering. I've asked multiple times for the 300mm2 PS5 APU leak - but haven't had anyone respond. I do remember us talking us about it.
This place just jumped for that leak because of the high clocks of the PS5

And another leak from that same forum already got debunked so i am not sure why is it so trustworthy here

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
I've been beating this drum for a good minute. When the Asian message board leaked the PS5 APU being 300mm- it was bound to 44CU at the very maximum.

There are multiple situations for PS5 - but it will be impossible to match Scarlett if it has 8 to 12 more CUs and clocking high.

Pessimist:
PS5 36 CU at 1.8 ghz = 8.2 TF

Realist :
PS5 40 CU at 2ghz = 10.2 TF

Stupidly Optimistic aka (will only happen if there's something we have completely missed or are not accounting for) :

PS5 44 CU at 2.15ghz = 12.1 TF
PS5 48 CU at 2 ghz = 12.2 TF

Klee already shot down the rumours of PS5 being 10.2 TFlops or lower.

My guess is that Ps5 will be 11Tflops (based on the rumours that both MS and Sony wanted to surpass Stadias' 10.7 Tflops) or higher.

Dec 8, 2018

Except after the 12TF rumor not one of the "insiders" have said anything has changed.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was an Asian message board that leaked PS5 APU being 300mm. It was than confirmed by TUM APISAK but the fine details escape me.

DukeBlueBall measured and estimated the Scarlett render to 350mm

This is why we think what we think.
lol I'm not that pessimistic.

Still retain a bit of hope for this little blue console. Although it wont be surprising either if Sony decides it was the other parts that should be getting a bigger upgrade.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone link me or even just give me the name of the company that came up with the more efficient ray-tracing tech that people said might be in the PS5? I want to read up on it.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
lol I'm not that pessimistic.

Still retain a bit of hope for this little blue console. Although it wont be surprising either if Sony decides it was the other parts that should be getting a bigger upgrade.
Trust me I want to be wrong. I want both to be above 12 TF, but I don't want to err on the side of irrational optimism or misrepresent where I think things are landing.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I don't think anymore photon tracing will be in PS5 but it is possible to use it without raytracing. It is mor like Voxel Cone Tracing I suppose this is better. This is what they use to do Davy Jones in Pirates of the Carribbean. But thin unlinked Photon Mapping from been useful only if the BVH can be chage every frame and Power VR technology. . I suppose they can use a 3D texture to replace the octree like Voxel Cone Tracing.

From a july job annouce

Senior Graphics Researcher (12 month contract) - London
PlayStation London, GB

Research and develop graphics techniques like real time ray tracing and point cloud rendering for next generation console platforms.

The second rendering part can use Point Based Color Bleeding and at least there seems more compatible with point cloud rendering

7.2 of this document

7.2 Final gathering for photon mapping[/b]

Another application of this method is for photon mapping [Jensen
1996] with precomputed radiance and area estimates [Christensen
1999]. The most time-consuming part of photon mapping is the
ray-traced final gathering step needed to compute high-quality images. The point-based color bleeding method presented here can be
used directly to speed up the final gathering step. In this application, the points in the point cloud represent coarse global illumination computed with the photon mapping method (instead of direct
illumination).]

EDIT:
Research about the subject on a GPU

http://digitalcommons.calpoly.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1855&context=theses

This is interesting

Can anyone link me or even just give me the name of the company that came up with the more efficient ray-tracing tech that people said might be in the PS5? I want to read up on it.

Imagination Imgtec Power VR

Last edited:

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I was listening to the Giant Bombcast and Jeff Gerstmann said that he had heard from developers that both of these consoles are super powerful and actually on par with PCs and not behind like most generations

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If we are to believe @tomwarren he claims that internal first party studios were the only ones privy to the 12 target.
wait he did? Source?

I thought it was only that first party and certain big publishers has the Scarlett devkit. 12 teraflops for Series X should still be in play because the others work with specs given rather than the devkit itself.

Dec 8, 2018
We
We aren't back at 8. I tried to show three situations where things can go horribly bad or the stars can align and we win the lotto.

I mean sure you can't be sure of anything but taking all we heard from "insiders" about the power in these boxes 12TF is not shooting at the stars and winning the lotto is it since basically everything they said rather points to those kinds of numbers.

Oct 27, 2017
Just a bunch of fanboys that dont like what he's said for one reason or other. Mostly because he's said ps5 is a teeny bit more powerful.
I was going to say "Can you stop this bullshit please?"
But we all know that the sony boys would have it in for him if he had said that in reverse.

Still, anything said by anybody should be ingested with some skepticism. As I have said numerous times, look at how it turned out on GAF with the insiders!

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to say "Can you stop this bullshit please?"
But we all know that the sony boys would have it in for him if he had said that in reverse.

Still, anything said by anybody should be ingested with some skepticism. As I have said numerous times, look at how it turned out on GAF with the insiders!
I dont mind having skepticism about insiders, but the GAF problem is an unrelated matter. Those are anonymous, while we know who Klee is, and his history.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
something from the IMG A-Series? I was reading up on that but it looks like a separate GPU and that seems rather expensive.

There is a raytracing part, you don't need the full GPU.

At the beginning it was a card like PhysX the raytracing part is independant of the GPU. After I think Sony use AMD tech but maybe with Photon Mapping and this is the difference.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
I mean sure you can't be sure of anything but taking all we heard from "insiders" about the power in these boxes 12TF is not shooting at the stars and winning the lotto is it since basically everything they said rather points to those kinds of numbers.
If PS5 is really 300mm2 - reaching 12 TF is winning the lotto.

The only reason Scarletr pulls it off:
It's far bigger aka 350 to 360mm.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anymore photon tracing will be in PS5 but it is possible to use it without raytracing. It is mor akin to Voxel Cone Tracing I suppose this is better. This is what they use to do Davy Jones in Pirates of the Carribbean. But thin unlinked Photon Mapping from been useful only if the BVH can be chage every frame and Power VR technology. . I suppose they can use a 3D texture to replace the octree like Voxel Cone Tracing.

From a july job annouce

The second rendering part can use Point Based Color Bleeding and at least there seems more compatible with point cloud rendering

7.2 of this document

Imagination Imgtec Power VR
Thanks guys.

DrDamn

Oct 27, 2017
Gotcha. That's going to be really immersive.

Rumble triggers were one of the features that originally sold me on the X1. There were really well used in Forza, helping you find the right point when accelerating out of a corner for example. I don't think anyone else used it so well though. Love the idea of variable resistance and look forward to feeling it used well in games.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018

That's pure conjecture on your part of 'early dev-kits were 10+TF'. The narrative has always been to beat Stadia TF numbers of 10.7 TF which is not going to happen for Sony on a die with 40CUs no matter how fancy a solution they devise.

Besides, for a long time, 'Anaconda' was always assumed to be the beefiest of all machines. Reiner threw a curve ball around E3, and later Klee gave us a lot of details. Everything since then has pointed towards them being similar with different sources giving slight edge to one or the other. Nothing has changed post-TGA, there's literally no journalist or insider out there who's claimed MS raised the benchmark by going for 12TF. On the contrary, you have Klee asserting as to what he wrote earlier.

Nothing they say align with anything coming from the insiders.

And we are back at 8 tf.

I find Schreier to be most reliable given his connections in the industry, few weeks back he wrote how the two machines were similar. Unless, MS manufactured a new devkit housing a large silicon between then and TGA, I don't understand the reason the fear-mongering.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Unless, MS manufactured a new devkit housing a large silicon between then and TGA, I don't understand the reason the fear-mongering.
It's not fear mongering. Both machines will be within 15 percent or 20 maximum of one another.

And its not a total wash either, Playstation is said to have a far better SSD.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I was listening to the Giant Bombcast and Jeff Gerstmann said that he had heard from developers that both of these consoles are super powerful and actually on par with PCs and not behind like most generations

So basically what Jason has been saying too. Thanks.

At least we're not getting another "weak" generation.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Thuway was talking about komachi confirming 300mm leak somewhere.

Found the source.

Re: [情報] Zen3/Milan官方架構圖出來了

IPC再高也不能讓我準時下班 目前天宮本家的產品都挺安靜的 首先Renoir應該趕不上今年上 應該說所有要靠輪班星7nm量產的計畫都被往後延最少三個月 然後天宮就發了mail來

From the OP (text in white):

"Anubis現在已經沒有在做,可能是開發機代號 Arden沒意外應該會是要上市的版本 另外 Arden進度比較快,OBR還在初期驗證 而且Arden比OBR大了不只一號(350 vs 300 mm2)"

"Anubis is not doing it now, it may be the development machine code
Arden is not surprised that it should be the version to be launched

In addition
Arden's progress is relatively fast, and OBR is still in its early stages of verification
And Arden is more than one size larger than OBR (350 vs 300 mm2)"

Curiously OP mentions Sparkman in the beginning, which he states is a small APU for consoles. We know now that Sparkman is Lockhart.

"A bunch of weird codenames are now running online. For example: Arden OBR / Oberon Sparkman. The first one should be the Xbox. The second is full of opportunities. PS5. The third one is very interesting. The case layout that has only recently been evaluated is very similar to Renoir, but Slightly fatter and not a FPx pin for laptops, but a BLx common to semi-custom SoCs ... Are there any game machine makers missing?"

Last edited:

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
So echoing what jason said, great
thuway you can calm your 8TF fears

Don't worry I never thought 8TF would be a thing :). I've been firmly in 10.2-10.7 land.

Also here's the quote from the link on PTT:
"Anubis is no longer doing it. It may be that the development machine code is Arden. There should be no accident. It should be the version to be launched. In addition, Arden is progressing faster. OBR is still in initial verification. And Arden is larger than OBR by more than one (350 vs 300 mm2)."

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Don't worry I never thought 8TF would be a thing :). I've been firmly in 10.2-10.7 land.

Also here's the quote from the link on PTT:
"Anubis is no longer doing it. It may be that the development machine code is Arden. There should be no accident. It should be the version to be launched. In addition, Arden is progressing faster. OBR is still in initial verification. And Arden is larger than OBR by more than one (350 vs 300 mm2)."
Well, we know this is wrong based on what matt told us regarding the schedules

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Well, we know this is wrong based on what matt told us regarding the schedules
The PTT board has too many interesting finds. They mention Oberon, Sparkman (Lockhart) , and Arden. I'll refrain from commenting but I want to be wrong. If PS5 is actually bigger than 300mm - it'll be a great thing for PS5 GPU predicted power.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
It's not fear mongering. Both machines will be within 15 percent or 20 maximum of one another.

Difference of 15-20% in GPU power is quite significant, if that was actually the case, more journalists/insiders would've laid emphasis on it.

Besides, Sony know it themselves how significant a power advantage was at the launch of PS4. Think logically, Xbox One X had 40 CUs on a die manufactured with 16nm process, going to 7nm reduces the size by ~20%. Why would Sony handicap themselves by sticking with same parameters (40CUs) when they know their competitor already went large in a mid-gen refresh 3 years ago?

Besides the only reason I quoted you was because you wrote Komachi somehow confirmed the 300mm2 die size, which is absolutely not the case. So yes, it very much IS fear-mongering based on conjecture.

What does potential ~300mm2 PS5 APU mean? Those very high clocks we heard, i guess?

No of CUs which you can put depends on the size of a die, clocks have nothing to do with. That's a power/thermal issue. A ~300mm2 die on a 7nm process would mean only a maximum of ~40CUs can be fit.

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The PTT board has too many interesting finds. They mention Oberon, Sparkman (Lockhart) , and Arden. I'll refrain from commenting but I want to be wrong. If PS5 is actually bigger than 300mm - it'll be a great thing for PS5 GPU predicted power.
We knew of all those names before that post, so someone could have easily just took those names and made a story out of a shakespearean tale :p

Status
Not open for further replies.