• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
if that is so then Sony has a chip that is already outdated, based on a 1st gen RDNA architecture that's already being replaced on the year next gen RDNA comes out. It sounds crazy.

I'm not ruling it out of course, but I would be VERY disappointed if that's the case.

Welcome to every console launch. If it's not the cpu it's the GPU that's outdated.

Be glad not everything is outdated like Nintendo hardware.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
this is still a custom silicon made for spec and features sony wanted, doesn't mean it's going to be same as the pc part. Like ps4 pro had feature from vega while it was based on polaris.

I think it's not going to have VRS support though just like 5700 and that's why MS is emphasizing that in their press release. It's a odd thing to go over it with "exclusive patented" and things like that. It's a hardware feature and sony doesn't build their hardware against any existing API, they have their own specs and this kind of very new feature of dx12_1 that AMD doesn't have any product for could easily be one thing that is missing. Ray tracing is too big of a thing to miss so like I said they could have features from newer radeon. We have like 0 clue on what AMD's RT is, it could be just compute on CUs.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to every console launch year.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

One good explanation I've read is Ariel is the GPU, Flute is the CPU, and Gonzalo is the APU. Which makes sense.
edit: ...or rather, platform name.

So new speculation;

Probable scenario - 40 CU x 1800/2000 Ghz

Best Case Scenario - 58 CU x 1800 Ghz

Unfortunately, the best case scenario is... hopeful at best.

Last edited:

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I gotta say I'm liking the way the Dualshock 5 is shaping up. USB C, reactive triggers, haptic feedback, a better speaker and a bigger battery are the official changes so far. The back button accessory for the DS4 has me convinced the DS5 will have at least 2 back buttons built in.

My hope is that either the DS5 or a future Pro variant will have an OLED touchscreen in place of the touchpad and that it'll have the ability to remote play directly from your console over wifi. We know Sony's filed a patent for wifi on a controller (probably for something similar to what Stadia's doing) but no reason it couldn't also be used for remote play I think. The screen could also be used for UI operations and some games could choose to utilize it if they really wanted to. Whenever it's not behaving as a screen it'll work just like the touchpad.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
What NAVI terraflop are we at today for Xbox Series X?

Still 12 if I'm not mistaken. Pretty good discussion about SSD, cooling patents and announcement strategies though. Naturally there were the usual snipes, passive aggressive disses and tribalistic high-fives over dissenting opinions but nothing too chaotic. 8/10, would read again.

I gotta say I'm liking the way the Dualshock 5 is shaping up. USB C, reactive triggers, haptic feedback, a better speaker and a bigger battery are the official changes so far. The back button accessory for the DS4 has me convinced the DS5 will have at least 2 back buttons built in.

My hope is that either the DS5 or a future Pro variant will have an OLED touchscreen in place of the touchpad and that it'll have the ability to remote play directly from your console over wifi. We know Sony's filed a patent for wifi on a controller (probably for something similar to what Stadia's doing) but no reason it couldn't also be used for remote play I think. The screen could also be used for UI operations and some games could choose to utilize it if they really wanted to. Whenever it's not behaving as a screen it'll work just like the touchpad.

The DS5 is probably what I'm most excited about considering we haven't seen much of actual games yet. I was pretty bummed to see that MS wasn't also going with resistance triggers as it would have helped adoption in 3rd party games.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
this is still a custom silicon made for spec and features sony wanted, doesn't mean it's going to be same as the pc part. Like ps4 pro had feature from vega while it was based on polaris.

I think it's not going to have VRS support though just like 5700 and that's why MS is emphasizing that in their press release. It's a odd thing to go over it with "exclusive patented" and things like that. It's a hardware feature and sony doesn't build their hardware against any existing API, they have their own specs and this kind of very new feature of dx12_1 that AMD doesn't have any product for could easily be one thing that is missing. Ray tracing is too big of a thing to miss so like I said they could have features from newer radeon. We have like 0 clue on what AMD's RT is, it could be just compute on CUs.
I'm pretty sure Klee already claimed both have VRS though.

I didn't know about the better speaker! That's actually really cool! And yeah, I have a feeling the ds5 will have some sort of back buttons, otherwise the new ds4 accessory is just completely baffling. At the very least I guess the ds5 might launch with it's own back button accessory, but that would be a bit strange.

Mosse

Oct 25, 2017

I think that if they would put a screen on the controller for remote play it would have to be for a new controller especially for that. Because otherwise the screen would probably be too tiny to read any kind of text.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I think that if they would put a screen on the controller for remote play it would have to be for a new controller especially for that. Because otherwise the screen would probably be too tiny to read any kind of text.

Financial Times mentioned last year a tablet that would act as PS5 companion to run Remote Play and Streaming Apps.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Haptic yes, resistance no. Unless I've completely misunderstood what the DS5 is doing lol. I was under the impression that the triggers would have varying degrees of resistance depending on the actions that you're performing in game.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the X1 controller had rumble triggers and the Switch Joycons had haptic feedback.

I'm not aware of any controllers that have resistive triggers along the lines of what's being described in the DS5 and we don't know how the haptic feedback might differ from the Switch's yet.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder what the chances are that they'll put a slightly larger version of the Vita D-Pad on the DS5.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Setting aside the massive, impromptu resource requirement, does anyone see Sony doing the same? After all, there is no getting away from that first installation.

Something like this would help people become more accustomed to game streaming but the temporary resource usage feels like such a waste. Imagine a new release and the cloud servers getting hammered for several hours by millions of users just so that they don't have to wait for a download to complete.

Greta Thunberg am cry.

0_Swedish-environmental-activist-Greta-Thunberg-watches-as-US-President-Donald-Trump-enters-the-Unit.jpg

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Something like this would help people become more accustomed to game streaming but the temporary resource usage feels like such a waste. Imagine a new release and the cloud servers getting hammered for several hours by millions of users just so that they don't have to wait for a download to complete.

Greta Thunberg am cry.

0_Swedish-environmental-activist-Greta-Thunberg-watches-as-US-President-Donald-Trump-enters-the-Unit.jpg

I'd be willing to bet that Sony will have a new subscription tier that combines PS Now and PS+ and a feature like this would be part of that tier just as an added bonus. Everyone else will have to wait for their downloads to complete, but will have the option of downloading portions of the game first to start playing earlier.

I'm still of the opinion that they will put every single game (or at least all PS5 games) on PS Now so that when you purchase a game you'll be able to access the streaming version of it as long as you're subscribed to Now, or the new subscription tier.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I often see people buying GPU on PC completly overblown the cost fo a GPU, this is old and before the Nvidia tax because of weak competition and console APU are cheaper to produce because of the economy of scale.

uzkPJ50.png

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
You do realize that it costs hundreds of millions to design a chip right? The fundamental design of the chip is set in stone since Gonzalo was taped out. I.e. changes to number of CPU cores, bus sizes, GPU core counts, secret sauces etc. If Gonzalo is the chip in the PS5 devkit, it's final silicon.

Ariel, Gonzalo, Arden, Sparkman, all the code name chips for next generation are taped out and final silicon barring minor fixes.

You can still change clock speeds but we are all familiar with that.

And this is why my curiosity still wants to pull on the Lockhart "cancellation" thread. Assuming Series S ships at launch, there's no way they stopped development on Sparkman for months starting in December 2018 or they would be screwed on the timeline. Ergo it was almost certainly never actually cancelled. But everyone heard that it was...

So Xbox team is playing some interesting games, or maybe insiders all heard something and basically misinterpreted it the same way? Haha I wanna know the story!

(Or it really will come after launch. But I deeply doubt that unless it's a matter of just a few weeks. I could see them trying to pull a double launch, maybe Series X first in early November to build hype and then S at the lower price closer to holidays.)

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
And this is why my curiosity still wants to pull on the Lockhart "cancellation" thread. Assuming Series S ships at launch, there's no way they stopped development on Sparkman for months starting in December 2018 or they would be screwed on the timeline. Ergo it was almost certainly never actually cancelled. But everyone heard that it was...

So Xbox team is playing some interesting games, or maybe insiders all heard something and basically misinterpreted it the same way? Haha I wanna know the story!

(Or it really will come after launch. But I deeply doubt that unless it's a matter of just a few weeks. I could see them trying to pull a double launch, maybe Series X first in early November to build hype and then S at the lower price closer to holidays.)

That is my guess.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
I think a system where you swap what's on the "fast" drive and what's on the storage sound most probable if this would be the case.

I'm getting the idea that games are going to be split into smaller addressable chunks, so may not need to transfer the whole game over, just the relevant chunks. These could move dynamically around the available storage. Kind of like how memory caching and virtual memory works at the moment. Each area of a game has tags which associate it with the relevant blocks, which can then be scheduled for movement as required. They have to have been doing some work on the next generation of PlayGo.

And its not like they're limited by what you have to do on a PC, or the limited range of filesystems that Windows supports.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
My guess is 48-52CUs active based on die size estimate of the Scarlett teaser from this year.

I think this is how it shakes out where both are 12 TF.

52CU XSX @ 1.85 ghz = 12.3 TF
44CU PS5 @ 2.15 ghz = 12.1 TF

Give or take a little does this match up with a 350mm XSX VS 300MM PS5?

Last edited:

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever that means. That could be a modified RDNA. It could also be RDNA 2 obviously, but I suppose what that even means isn't clear at the moment either.
everything isnt clear, yeah. Going to be an interesting time early next year.

I dont really care which is stronger, but would be disappointed if the only console that makes sense in SEA is less than 11 teraflops.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is how it shakes out where both are 12 TF.

52CU XSX @ 1.85 ghz = 12.3 TF
44CU PS5 @ 2.15 ghz = 12.1 TF

Give or take a little does this match up with a 350mm XSX VS 300MM PS5?

Can we take a moment to review where we're getting these numbers from - die sizes (from which people will extrapolate CUs) or CUs (based on Komachi or other data)? Are we risking building speculation on top of a foundation of speculation?

Is the XBSX die size really based on a teaser render? where are we getting the PS5 die size from?

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
everything isnt clear, yeah. Going to be an interesting time early next year.

I dont really care which is stronger, but would be disappointed if the only console that makes sense in SEA is less than 11 teraflops.

I've been beating this drum for a good minute. When the Asian message board leaked the PS5 APU being 300mm- it was bound to 44CU at the very maximum.

There are multiple situations for PS5 - but it will be impossible to match Scarlett if it has 8 to 12 more CUs and clocking high.

Pessimist:
PS5 36 CU at 1.8 ghz = 8.2 TF

Realist :
PS5 40 CU at 2ghz = 10.2 TF

Stupidly Optimistic aka (will only happen if there's something we have completely missed or are not accounting for) :

PS5 44 CU at 2.15ghz = 12.1 TF
PS5 48 CU at 2 ghz = 12.2 TF

rbej

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
For me 2 ghz and more in retail version is stupidly optymistic.

Another important date:

January, February - final specification
March, April - start of production

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Can we take a moment to review where we're getting these numbers from - die sizes (from which people will extrapolate CUs) or CUs (based on Komachi or other data)? Are we risking building speculation on top of a foundation of speculation?

Is the XBSX die size really based on a teaser render? where are we getting the PS5 die size from?
There was an Asian message board that leaked PS5 APU being 300mm. It was than confirmed by TUM APISAK but the fine details escape me.

DukeBlueBall measured and estimated the Scarlett render to 350mm

This is why we think what we think.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe there's something I'm missing. Where is all this stuff that Klee is confirming because I don't see it. Not doubting him, but I've looked through some posts here and there and it seems all so vague and evolves.
There's a comprehensive list in the OP.

There's nothing vague or evolving. Just a bunch of fanboys that dont like what he's said for one reason or other. Mostly because he's said ps5 is a teeny bit more powerful.

Klee has been straight forward and very informative.

Dec 8, 2018
I'm getting the idea that games are going to be split into smaller addressable chunks, so may not need to transfer the whole game over, just the relevant chunks. These could move dynamically around the available storage. Kind of like how memory caching and virtual memory works at the moment. Each area of a game has tags which associate it with the relevant blocks, which can then be scheduled for movement as required. They have to have been doing some work on the next generation of PlayGo.

And its not like they're limited by what you have to do on a PC, or the limited range of filesystems that Windows supports.

Yes exactly and perhaps the game engine and the most necessary files to get the game started are automatically sorted to the "main" drive for games and the rest on the expanded storage. If you choose what part of the game you want to play, single player or multi or perhaps even the specific map and it's textures, then it starts with those files. Would probably mean very short transfer times before you can start to play if any basically.

I have no actual clue if this is possible but don't really see a reason for it not to be.

Dec 8, 2018
I've been beating this drum for a good minute. When the Asian message board leaked the PS5 APU being 300mm- it was bound to 44CU at the very maximum.

There are multiple situations for PS5 - but it will be impossible to match Scarlett if it has 8 to 12 more CUs and clocking high.

Pessimist:
PS5 36 CU at 1.8 ghz = 8.2 TF

Realist :
PS5 40 CU at 2ghz = 10.2 TF

Stupidly Optimistic aka (will only happen if there's something we have completely missed or are not accounting for) :

PS5 44 CU at 2.15ghz = 12.1 TF
PS5 48 CU at 2 ghz = 12.2 TF

And we are back to 8 again I see.

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Pretty much this is what's happening lol.

Do people really think that the Xbox teaser showed the REAL die and in original size in the Video? That's not how things work. You aren't all that secret only to then show your competition and everyone else a real die shot of your next gen Apu...
Nevermind that insiders here have already claimed that the speculated die sizes are wrong.
And if you want to go by the teaser video the shown motherboard wouldn't even fit in the now known Xbox console design.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
There was an Asian message board that leaked PS5 APU being 300mm. It was than confirmed by TUM APISAK but the fine details escape me.

DukeBlueBall measured and estimated the Scarlett render to 350mm

This is why we think what we think.

If you believe the die size to be true, then no matter how high they push the clocks difference is going to be at least 20% which is quite significant, it doesn't align with what Schreier wrote about specs of the two being similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.