• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xplainin

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
Apparently Osiris Black has been into Ready At Dawn studios and played one of their up comming next gen games, most likely The Order 2.
To prove the point he send some pics to one of the mods on another forum showing the game.
But he has said they didnt tell him the specs but said XSX > PS5.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Apparently Osiris Black has been into Ready At Dawn studios and played one of their up comming next gen games, most likely The Order 2.
To prove the point he send some pics to one of the mods on another forum showing the game.

Ready at Dawn aren't making The Order 2 and OsirisBlack is a fake insider. Transistor pls.

OP
OP
Transistor

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Until insiders are vetted here, treat them with scrutiny. And please stop bringing up stuff from the old place. Kthxbye

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't really have any idea who osiris black is but this is the fakest claim i've ever heard. If youre a secret insider leaking data why on earth would you admit to being one of probably like, a dozen or two people who did a thing. You guys are so gullible.

Xplainin

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
I don't really have any idea who osiris black is but this is the fakest claim i've ever heard. If youre a secret insider leaking data why on earth would you admit to being one of probably like, a dozen or two people who did a thing. You guys are so gullible.
I didn't say I believed him. I was saying what I heard he has been saying.
Nothing more, nothing less.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I wonder if these fake leakers are trying to get caught making unbelievable claims like The Order actually getting a sequel.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

😂 Yeah, all of that sounds like bollocks.

Oct 25, 2017
Hasn't Shinobi, a much more credible leaker with a near spotless track record, already said RAD's next project isn't an Order sequel?

This news drought just got everybody thirsty for just any type of "leak", huh?

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Do people think MS will sell the one/x alongside Lockhart?

Maybe S as a budget option <$200, nothing more.

Yes, MS goal is let players play on all systems.

They mean they will continue to provide content to people with older systems, not that they will continue to sell all XB1 models alongside Series X / Lockhart.

They'll discontinue x1x around the time lockhart releases.

I expect X1X to be out of stock by November.

Lockhart will basically be a new XBX in terms of performance.

Not really:
- Zen2 >>> Jaguar
- SSD >>> hard drive
- Navi GPU with ray tracing > Polaris GPU

I think the "Series S" is your new Xbox One S. The goal of launching a lower-tier "next-gen" console would be to enable Microsoft to replace both halves of the One family at their current price points, and not have the typical scenario of the One S continuing to sell for months or years alongside the XSX. Microsoft has two "tiers" of Xbox, and the goal would be to replace them both. Otherwise I don't really see the point of Lockhart.

Yep, good post.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
No problem.
I treat even the vetted with suspicion.

This is wise.

People would do well to consider that although the vetted/non-vetted system is necessarily binary, the insider/non-insider spectrum isn't. Insiders can have varying degrees of connectedness. It's worth considering also that details regarding next-generation strategy are among the most closely guarded secrets that these companies have. A person can be "vetted" and even be rather well-connected and still lack concrete details regarding future hardware plans.

In general, you should be skeptical of any one person claiming to know details regarding upcoming consoles. If there's a consensus, that might be worth paying more attention to.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I know what it means I just don't think the current gens are magically going to start being discontinued when the XSX launches.

"Magically"?

If the Xbox Series S was about the same price as the Xbox One S, why wouldn't Microsoft discontinue the One S?

Consider that it might not be practical to make the One S dramatically cheaper, and that even if it was, getting people onto the new generation platforms might be strategically more important.

The goal of a play like Lockhart would be to have the new Xbox consoles be available at a mass-market price from the beginning.

Dec 31, 2017
The game he has apparently played is not The Order 2, it's Rainbow Six Quarantined and it was supposedly running in 4K at 90fps on both next gen consoles.
Take it with a grain of salt, although honestly, a cross gen game running at 4K at that FPS to me sounds like it could actually be credible. Leaks coming out of Ubisoft wouldnt surprise me in the slightest.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Magically"?

If the Xbox Series S was about the same price as the Xbox One S, why wouldn't Microsoft discontinue the One S?

Consider that it might not be practical to make the One S dramatically cheaper, and that even if it was, getting people onto the new generation platforms might be strategically more important.

The goal of a play like Lockhart would be to have the new Xbox consoles be available at a mass-market price from the beginning.
I understand all of that, I just don't believe the current Xbox will be discontinued this year. Perhaps mid to late 2021.

We'll certainly find out as the year progresses.

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
YES SUCK IT PRE-MARCHERS
I mean please give us something soon Sony

Also, fun little article from IGN on the XSeX here.

Wild speculation indeed. With a $400 APU that's gonna be a tf printing machine. Not to mention they were on the no controller bandwagon first.
IGN lacking understanding here...you really can't spell...I think y'all get the point.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I know what it means I just don't think the current gens are magically going to start being discontinued when the XSX launches.

Huh? Nothing magic about it. All I'm saying is they will try to get rid of stock this year and have no more shelf presence for the models they're discontinuing. The only debate in my view is whether that means every XB1 model (S, SAD, X) or only some of them.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
So this is half for Silencerx98 and half for the rest of the thread, but if you're thinking of getting a new TV for next-gen, a new HDTVTest video is up that demonstrates another reason why getting an OLED is such a good idea.

I'm still watching the video, but what it's shown thus far is while a QLED LCD like the Samsung Q90R is quite impressive when using its full suite of video processing and local dimming capabilities in the ~70ms Movie Mode, changing it to Game Mode - which shuts off much of those processing capabilities in order to bring input lag down to ~15ms - drastically hurts picture quality. The C9 OLED, on the other hand, sees almost no drop in picture quality from Movie Mode to Game Mode (and has slightly better input lag in both modes). If you've been seeing picture quality comparisons between these two kinds of TVs in Movie Mode and just assuming that the situation would be similar in Game Mode, you need to see this video, because they absolutely do not. The QLED does still have a couple of minor advantages in Game Mode such as better colour volume, but the overall comparison is not in its favour.

Last edited:

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
It makes little sense to continue manufacturing the old consoles when they'll likely be struggling to produce enough units of the next gen consoles because of the coronavirus as it is. That would be just a waste of resources. Discontinuing 1S and 1x immediately after launching the new consoles makes a lot of sense, especially if Lockhart is released on the same day as the more expensive console.

PrimeRib

Nov 16, 2017
Vince t at HDTVtest is fantastic, at this point, it seems OLED is king for optimal gaming image quality.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Vince t at HDTVtest is fantastic, at this point, it seems OLED is king for optimal gaming image quality.

Yeah - I could see someone going for a QLED if they plan on using it solely for watching movies and TV shows and such, but for responsive and beautiful gaming there's just no real contest. The inherent advantages of the OLED panel are way too good.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Not really:
- Zen2 >>> Jaguar
- SSD >>> hard drive
- Navi GPU with ray tracing > Polaris GPU
None of this will matter for games which are being made for XBX right now. The point is that you don't really have to have a Lockhart devkit if Lockhart will basically be XBX in terms of performance for currently made games. MS platform is pretty good in h/w abstraction so they likely can pull this off - just switch XBX with Lockhart at some point.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
Can someone confirm this Navi doesn't scale well with higher clock frequencies. This could be the biggest issue with first generation of rdna gpu's. 5700xt doesn't perform well when OC.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
None of this will matter for games which are being made for XBX right now. The point is that you don't really have to have a Lockhart devkit if Lockhart will basically be XBX in terms of performance for currently made games. MS platform is pretty good in h/w abstraction so they likely can pull this off - just switch XBX with Lockhart at some point.
Even if games are made cross-gen, the XSX will still have features the current-gen version doesn't have, just like every cross-gen game. Fast loading, RT, different graphical features, more characters on screen, etc., I'd imagine that even cross-gen games will try to use the SSD and CPU as much as they can. There is no reason to think an Xbox One X version will be in any way identical to the XSS version. One version is built for Jaguar and a sub-100MB/s HDD and targets 4K while the other should be built for an 8C/16T Zen 2 and 40 times faster SSD that targets 1080p. In other words, the X version will be the S version cranked up to 4K while the XSS version will be the XSX version downscaled to 1080p, which means the XSS and the Xbox One X versions should be very different.

Comparing the two systems just because their GPU performance is probably similar (which isn't even true considering things like VRS, RT, and other new RDNA features) is pretty misleading. The only real connection between the X and the XSS IMO is that I'm pretty sure MS should kill the X once the XSS and XSX are out, it serves no purpose in the new ecosystem.

P.S
3 hours and 21 minutes between big_z's and dgrdsv 's posts, a new record for this thread? Guys, we are dying, we really need some new info :)

Last edited:

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Can someone confirm this Navi doesn't scale well with higher clock frequencies. This could be the biggest issue with first generation of rdna gpu's. 5700xt doesn't perform well when OC.

I don't know, but that leaked chip data (the mobile Zen3/RDNA chip) makes me wonder. The most recent and best 15W AMD APU is the 4800U, which has 8 Vega compute units at 1750MHz. This upcoming APU seems to target a similar power draw of 10-15W but the graphics part is instead 20 RDNA CUs at 950MHz. That would seem to point to RDNA preferring more CUs over higher clocks.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So this is half for Silencerx98 and half for the rest of the thread, but if you're thinking of getting a new TV for next-gen, a new HDTVTest video is up that demonstrates another reason why getting an OLED is such a good idea.

I'm still watching the video, but what it's shown thus far is while a QLED LCD like the Samsung Q90R is quite impressive when using its full suite of video processing and local dimming capabilities in the ~70ms Movie Mode, changing it to Game Mode - which shuts off much of those processing capabilities in order to bring input lag down to ~15ms - drastically hurts picture quality. The C9 OLED, on the other hand, sees almost no drop in picture quality from Movie Mode to Game Mode (and has slightly better input lag in both modes). If you've been seeing picture quality comparisons between these two kinds of TVs in Movie Mode and just assuming that the situation would be similar in Game Mode, you need to see this video, because they absolutely do not. The QLED does still have a couple of minor advantages in Game Mode such as better colour volume, but the overall comparison is not in its favour.

Oh, damn, thanks very much for this. This thread is pushing me more and more towards the C9 OLED and that's not a good thing because I don't know if I can afford it!

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Oh, damn, thanks very much for this. This thread is pushing me more and more towards the C9 OLED and that's not a good thing because I don't know if I can afford it!

Hah, well, I'm sure you'd be fine to wait until later this year for a lifetime-low sale on the 48" CX, which should end up being relatively cheap for what you're getting. And it would give you more time to save some extra money.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hah, well, I'm sure you'd be fine to wait until later this year for a lifetime-low sale on the 48" CX, which should end up being relatively cheap for what you're getting. And it would give you more time to save some extra money.
I really am hoping for the CX48 to be surprisingly cheap! Something like $900 would be amazing for sure, but at the same time, in Malaysia, TV prices are ridiculously high for whatever reason. I think it's all the damn taxes. The C9 appears to be double the price it should be based on a direct conversion. Also, the "extra" time won't really help me since I won't be getting a full time job until August anyways. No extra time to save up money when I don't have a steady flow of income in the first place! :P

Jan 21, 2019

I was a big OLED skeptic until I saw this video. Another guy on youtube, the Stop the FOMO guy, whos videos seem to have disappiered, also said that OLED has matured so that the C9 is the best TV that you can buy right now when you want to keep it for at least 5 years, since it has all the big features and then some already plus OLED's picture quality can't be beaten (especially is game mode).

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Even if games are made cross-gen, the XSX will still have features the current-gen version doesn't have, just like every cross-gen game. Fast loading, RT, different graphical features, more characters on screen, etc., I'd imagine that even cross-gen games will try to use the SSD and CPU as much as they can. There is no reason to think an Xbox One X version will be in any way identical to the XSS version. One version is built for Jaguar and a sub-100MB/s HDD and targets 4K while the other should be built for an 8C/16T Zen 2 and 40 times faster SSD that targets 1080p. In other words, the X version will be the S version cranked up to 4K while the XSS version will be the XSX version downscaled to 1080p, which means the XSS and the Xbox One X versions should be very different.

Comparing the two systems just because their GPU performance is probably similar (which isn't even true considering things like VRS, RT, and other new RDNA features) is pretty misleading. The only real connection between the X and the XSS IMO is that I'm pretty sure MS should kill the X once the XSS and XSX are out, it serves no purpose in the new ecosystem.

P.S
3 hours and 21 minutes between big_z's and dgrdsv 's posts, a new record for this thread? Guys, we are dying, we really need some new info :)
Not sure cross gen games will have RT. I think it will be an exception or a very lite implementation.
"Downscale" isn't a thing in game dev or any software development.

Adum

May 30, 2019
With all this talk about SSD and streaming improvements, I am reminded of what a good time it would be for next gen consoles to host the successor to perhaps the only game of its kind, with more diverse levels and perhaps even more agile combat:

Never played the game you linked, but it looks to have a similar feel to Warframe. You ever tried that?

I really am hoping for the CX48 to be surprisingly cheap! Something like $900 would be amazing for sure, but at the same time, in Malaysia, TV prices are ridiculously high for whatever reason.
Same here in Maldives. Electronics prices have come down in recent years, but a decent LG OLED over here easily costs about 3 times as much as it would cost me to ship one over from the USA. I'm looking forward to upgrading my TV in time for the next gen consoles. Best bet would be Black Friday. Saw some crazy good TV sales last time.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I really am hoping for the CX48 to be surprisingly cheap! Something like $900 would be amazing for sure, but at the same time, in Malaysia, TV prices are ridiculously high for whatever reason. I think it's all the damn taxes. The C9 appears to be double the price it should be based on a direct conversion. Also, the "extra" time won't really help me since I won't be getting a full time job until August anyways. No extra time to save up money when I don't have a steady flow of income in the first place! :P

That really blows. 😔 I suppose you could leave it REALLY late and wait until Black Friday for the TV since you'll have been at your job for a few months by then. Might have to go a few weeks playing the PS5 on the peasant-TV, though. Either way, good luck.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Not sure cross gen games will have RT. I think it will be an exception or a very lite implementation.
"Downscale" isn't a thing in game dev or any software development.
I think the exact opposite, most cross-gen games will have RT effects. Cross-gen games might not be built from the ground up for RT, but slapping in some RT shadows or reflection is the easiest and the best PR move developers can do in a quick next-gen port of a current-gen based developed game. When PS4 and Xbox One came out we saw a lot of unique graphical features in the next-gen version of cross-gen games and I'm sure it's going to be the same, adding some kind of RT effect will be the most obvious thing to add.

Regarding "downscale", English isn't my first language so I might have used the wrong word to describe it, but most XSS games will be XSX games retro-fitted for the XSS. Or in other words, the XSS version of a cross-gen game will be more or less identical to the XSX version except for resolution while the Xbox One X version of the game will be more or less identical to the Xbox One S version of the game except for resolution. So XSS and Xbox One X versions should be very different, even if their GPUs are pretty "close".

Last edited:

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That really blows. 😔 I suppose you could leave it REALLY late and wait until Black Friday for the TV since you'll have been at your job for a few months by then. Might have to go a few weeks playing the PS5 on the peasant-TV, though. Either way, good luck.
Oh, I probably won't be buying a PS5 day one either because of said monetary issues and more than likely Sony won't be launching here along with the rest of the world. Unless they explicitly confirm that every country will get a global launch simultaneously, I'll just assume they mean big ones like across North America, multiple countries in Europe and Japan.

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like the coronavirus impact is bigger than just China.

www.theguardian.com

Italy imposes draconian rules to stop spread of coronavirus

People caught entering or leaving outbreak areas to be fined, after country’s third death

Sony's cancellations make sense to me. I'd rather avoid having potentially studios locked down if I were in their shoes. Hopefully nothing bad happens at the GDC for those attending.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I think the exact opposite, most cross-gen games will have RT effects. Cross-gen games might not be built from the ground up for RT, but slapping in some RT shadows or reflection is the easiest and the best PR move developers can do in a quick next-gen port of a current-gen based developed game. When PS4 and Xbox One came out we saw a lot of unique graphical features in the next-gen version of cross-gen games and I'm sure it's going to be the same, adding some kind of RT effect will be the most obvious thing to add.

Regarding "downscale", English isn't my first language so I might have used the wrong word to describe it, but most XSS games will be XSX games retro-fitted for the XSS. Or in other words, the XSS version of a cross-gen game will be more or less identical to the XSX version except for resolution while the Xbox One X version of the game will be more or less identical to the Xbox One S version of the game except for resolution. So XSS and Xbox One X versions should be very different, even if their GPUs are pretty "close".
Easiest to add RT. Do you have knowledge on this you can share?

Downscale was the right word I think, but again, doing that is terrible design, so I don't think it will happened.

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
This is the strangest marketing plan by Sony ever. Acknowledge next gen in April 2019 and even share some specs then not unveil the thing until March 2020? Who's idea was this?

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps you missed my response PianoBlack
I understand all of that, I just don't believe the current Xbox will be discontinued this year. Perhaps mid to late 2021.

We'll certainly find out as the year progresses.
Huh? Nothing magic about it. All I'm saying is they will try to get rid of stock this year and have no more shelf presence for the models they're discontinuing. The only debate in my view is whether that means every XB1 model (S, SAD, X) or only some of them.
You responded to my initial post twice. See my response above.

I think they'll be phased out by 2021.

I agree with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.