• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Are we now at a point where a x2 difference in performance magically only makes a 20% difference because "expectations"?
Ah well...
I...don't think you read my post. 4k didn't mean resolution, in case you just aren't aware of terms used for benchmarking drives. We have no clue what either machine's SSD performance looks like outside of sequential read/write. SSDs are fairly complex, they can't be broken down into a single value for comparison.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/Faq/What-is-4K-random-read-speed/28

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I...don't think you read my post. 4k didn't mean resolution, in case you just aren't aware of terms used for benchmarking drives. We have no clue what either machine's SSD performance looks like outside of sequential read/write. SSDs are fairly complex, they can't be broken down into a single value for comparison.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/Faq/What-is-4K-random-read-speed/28
I did read your post and I've understood what you've meant. What I don't understand is how (without even knowing specific performance data of each drive, as you have admitted) you come to the conclusion that the PS5 SSD's 4K random read speed drops so incredibly low compared to the max data points that it somehow comes within 20% of the XSX SSD's perfomance data (which magically doesn't seem to have reduced 4K random read speeds, otherwise it would also significatly drop and keep the performance difference at way more than 20%).

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could put a giant banner on the top of the forum that reads "it's not about load times"

Drives today are predominantly streaming. Load screens are only a small portion of their use. The faster you can stream, the richer the world. If you can stream in fast enough, design itself can even change. PS5 drive is legit so fast we are opening doors on design that we still don't know exactly where it could take us.
The PC landscape doesn't dictate how we design and build games, the consoles do. It's been this way for a while. You're wrong.
Thanks for chiming in.

Its comical seeing some ppl were still trying to refute this in this thread.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
I did read your post and I've understood what you've meant. What I don't understand is how (without even knowing specific performance data of each drive, as you have admitted) you come to the conclusion that the PS5 SSD's 4K random read speed drops so incredibly low compared to the max data points that it somehow comes within 20% of the XSX SSD's perfomance data (which magically doesn't seem to have reduced 4K random read speeds, otherwise it would also significatly drop and keep the performance difference at way more than 20%).
Ah, I'm guessing that just based on how SSDs perform on the PC side of things. Random performance hasn't increased much at all, while sequential has skyrocketed. Most NVMe drives perform virtually identical in random tasks, regardless of peak speeds. Again, SSDs are complicated and there's a lot of components in them that determine their performance for various workloads. I don't think Sony is hiding anything maliciously in that area and the performance is likely very impressive and better than series x. I just think Sony wants to announce the flashiest, biggest number advantage they have, and it would be quite the feat for Sony to have such a massive leap in that area over every existing SSD.

In case you're wondering what kind of workload games use: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1577-what-file-sizes-do-games-load-ssd-4k-random-relevant?showall=1

It's an older article, but these things really don't change. Also Gamersnexus is incredibly reliable.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
Yea SSD is the big deal here. We can already see the benefit/effect of higher CPU, GPU, and RT on PCs but the SSD is new?

Are there any games on PCs that target SSD only?

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
That's not how it works. XSX has this beefy GPU/CPU combo and we're still not getting AC:Valhalla at 60 fps on consoles. If you add more GPU/CPU power they'll just make the game even more shiny at 30 fps.
It's actually exactly how it works. Better CPU and GPU improves both visuals and framerate. Games that may struggle to maintain 60fps during the coming generation might not if they prioritized CPU over storage for example.

Im just saying that a regular SSD alone would be a significant improvement over what we have currently in the consoles.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
It's actually exactly how it works. Better CPU and GPU improves both visuals and framerate. Games that may struggle to maintain 60fps during the coming generation might not if they prioritized CPU over storage for example.

Im just saying that a regular SSD alone would be a significant improvement over what we have currently in the consoles.

People are arguing the better SSD will allow you to have better visuals because you have swap/load infinitely more textures (and larger ones), and that you can do open world games in a way that's never before been seen, and like have portals you walk through that load new sections of the game in real time, and have like thousands of those portals on the screen at once, etc, because everything loads instantly.

I'm still skeptical every single game we see is going to be something of the likes that never could have existed before without these SSDs (I imagine the vast majority of games won't be doing that much trickery with them - espeically at AA and below levels, and obviously multi-plat ones that support slower drives), but there should be a handful of neat things going on I hope.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
Ah, I'm guessing that just based on how SSDs perform on the PC side of things. Random performance hasn't increased much at all, while sequential has skyrocketed. Most NVMe drives perform virtually identical in random tasks, regardless of peak speeds. Again, SSDs are complicated and there's a lot of components in them that determine their performance for various workloads. I don't think Sony is hiding anything maliciously in that area and the performance is likely very impressive and better than series x. I just think Sony wants to announce the flashiest, biggest number advantage they have, and it would be quite the feat for Sony to have such a massive leap in that area over every existing SSD.

In case you're wondering what kind of workload games use: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1577-what-file-sizes-do-games-load-ssd-4k-random-relevant?showall=1

It's an older article, but these things really don't change. Also Gamersnexus is incredibly reliable.

Ah, gotcha! Do we know if the XSX SSD is Gen3 or Gen4?
A quick benchmark comparison between Samsung SSDs showed an average 4K read performance gain of 41% over the older SSD.
As for the article: Thanks for linking that. Very interesting data! Although it seems that 4K reads vary wildly across games / genres so I guess it still comes down to how developers decide to design their games.

Yes, that's how it works in theory but in practice this has never been the case. Just think back to the PS3 > PS4 transition. People thought we would finally get tons of 60 fps games and developers still chose to make better looking games at 30 fps. That development mentality is not going to change over night. It remains a design choice, as it always has.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing a complete reduction in pop-in and assets streaming into view at the very last moment, along with an insane boost to LOD would be enough for me to be happy with the PS5.

Nothing breaks my immersion more in some of the most beautiful open-world games of the gen (RDR2, Horizon, The Witcher 3, Days Gone) than riding along and watching fucking blades of grass or textures on a rock suddenly stream into view when I'm 2 feet away.

If that's what all of this SSD tech talk means, then sign me up and take my money.

This. Please let pop-in be a non-issue next gen.
Yes every gen we get the same cycle and new 'secret sauce' capabilities.

It will also be interesting to see what will entice the general public more - 'fastest console' by Sony or 'Most powerful console' by Microsoft.

Games will matter the most.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
We've had devs from both Sony and MS side say how one of the biggest impacts and game changers of the up and coming gen is the SSD drives and the IO through put they will deliver. Yet we still have people posting in denial that all we will be getting is faster load times? Sheesh.

Surface

Nov 6, 2017
Actually when I think about it, even the ps2 could do 0 load times and amazing draw distances. Thinking of jak amd daxter.

Guess its more about a design choice than hardware choice

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Ah, gotcha! Do we know if the XSX SSD is Gen3 or Gen4?
A quick benchmark comparison between Samsung SSDs showed an average 4K read performance gain of 41% over the older SSD.
As for the article: Thanks for linking that. Very interesting data! Although it seems that 4K reads vary wildly across games / genres so I guess it still comes down to how developers decide to design their games.
Now that you mention it, I can't recall if they specified. I'd imagine it's pcie 4.0 since that's what the CPU can support and the pin layout is 100% identical to gen 3 (and trace length shouldn't be an issue in a console form factor). Would be weird for it not to support pcie 4.0, for whatever limited gains that could provide that particular SSD.

Also I couldn't find any cross generational data on SSDs, so I was admittedly going off of memory of how SSDs have progressed. Would you mind linking that to me?

Also no problem for the article lol. And yeah 4k was more of an example of a more random workload. I'm sure devs will target whatever performance spec makes the most sense for their games and the drives (whereas on a hdd you basically need sequential reads/writes for anything resembling fast performance).
It doesn't support HDD at all?
I mean, you can install it to a HDD so it's not required in that sense, but you're gonna get a terrible experience with a ton of stutter and streaming issues.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
I mean, you can install it to a HDD so it's not required in that sense, but you're gonna get a terrible experience with a ton of stutter and streaming issues.

Ok but I don't think this is 100% comparable to what we get with new consoles. This is the point I was trying to raise. Targeting SSD specifically is brand new

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Ok but I don't think this is 100% comparable to what we get with new consoles. This is the point I was trying to raise. Targeting SSD specifically is brand new
No it's the same thing, the devs do specifically target SSDs. It's just that fundamentally they don't lock you out of making bad choices :p

Recommended specs from the site.
34CvKs9.jpg

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
Now that you mention it, I can't recall if they specified. I'd imagine it's pcie 4.0 since that's what the CPU can support and the pin layout is 100% identical to gen 3 (and trace length shouldn't be an issue in a console form factor). Would be weird for it not to support pcie 4.0, for whatever limited gains that could provide that particular SSD.

Also I couldn't find any cross generational data on SSDs, so I was admittedly going off of memory of how SSDs have progressed. Would you mind linking that to me?

Also no problem for the article lol. And yeah 4k was more of an example of a more random workload. I'm sure devs will target whatever performance spec makes the most sense for their games and the drives (whereas on a hdd you basically need sequential reads/writes for anything resembling fast performance).
I've tinkered around with this site:

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Nice OP

SSDs are very important and I can see why they are a selling point for the new consoles.

Oct 28, 2017
Washington DC
I love how devs post in this topic and yet a few posters still try to play coy and obtuse to push their agenda. It is sophomoric and annoying. Anyways, very excited for the PS5.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
People are overestimating what an SSD with that type of speed will do for gaming. Either way you slice it developers (3rd party in particular) will not solely develop games for SSD users in mind. SSDs with 4-6 gb/s have existed on PCs for years now. Nothing significant has changed. It will be a significant boost to console smoothness for specific tasks and obv loading screens but as far as changing the landscape of gaming, it won't. If the OP thinks improved loading times is THEE "biggest performance jumps" ever then we are fundamentally working with different definitions here. I guess it's relative. Find it a bit comical people are losing their shit over those types of speeds though.

When I think about "performance leaps" I am looking at improved frame rates at similar to improved resolutions in games I am already playing or looking forward to play. Loading screens and OS smoothness isn't in the same galaxy.
That's not true, first PCIe 4.0 SSD came out less than 2 years ago. The fastest PCIe 4.0 SSDs in market right now are 5GB/s, and Ryzen 3 line of CPUs are the only consumer CPUs that can make use of PCIe 4.0 SSDs. By the time PS5 comes out we'll have faster SSDs around with speeds of 7-7.5GB/s, and maybe Intel will jump on PCIe 4.0 too around that time, but what you said about PCs having SSDs with speeds like these for years is just false.

But these are sequential read speeds, for games it's the IOPs that matter more. Additionally when games are designed specifically around SSD speeds you'll see major improvements. If a game world is created with a minimum SSD speed requirement then the game has to load far less in memory as it can just seek whatever it needs within 2 seconds and as such allowing the RAM to be filled up with a lot more near details and density. And lastly, it also allows for much more dynamic levels.

If you've played Control then you'll remember the light switch mechanic where the entire environment changes in an instant when you pull the lightswitch cord for 3 times, now this environment is a tiny corridor in Control because they had to already had the area the game switches to loaded up in RAM. With SSDs this fast they don't have to do that meaning the area could've been much larger.

Basically, things didn't change because games were still being made for mechanical HDD. If you want an existing example of how SSD can affect game design look at Star Citizen.

This right here...would not really be feasible without an SSD and an engine with 64 bit coordinate system that's designed to take advantage of that SSD speed.

Last edited:

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
The jump opens up a variety of design possibilities. But with that said, can't wait to play PS4 games with BC and almost 0 loading times. Control, Bloodborne, FF7 would be veeeery welcomed, GTA V and RDR2 too, for those who enjoy them.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
No it's the same thing, the devs do specifically target SSDs. It's just that fundamentally they don't lock you out of making bad choices :p

Recommended specs from the site.
34CvKs9.jpg

Multiplat games don't target SSDs. While they might be recommended for those on PC to get a better experience, the games are not designed around them. That is what is changing with the next-gen consoles.

It is.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Yea SSD is the big deal here. We can already see the benefit/effect of higher CPU, GPU, and RT on PCs but the SSD is new?

Are there any games on PCs that target SSD only?
Only Star Citizen that we know of.

But The Medium is launching on PC alongside XSX and they've made a big deal of it only being possible with the SSD etc, but there's no specs on the Steam page yet as confirmation.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Not to sidetrack the tread, but..

SSD and I/O
Tempest Engine
DualSense haptics and adaptive triggers
PSVR2

There's multiple unique and exciting selling points for devs to design around for the PS5. We shall see if there are more once they do the full reveal.

As for the CPU, the difference with the XSX is negligible and the GPU has a ~18% difference in TF, which isn't a massive chasm of a difference at the end of the day. And we have yet to learn how the PS5's higher clock might benefit it in certain situations. RAM seems to be up for debate going by the discussions I've seen, we just don't have enough info to judge there.

Anyways , as far as the SSD goes loading times are just one of the bonuses they'll give us. It's the extreme streaming speed and the ability to basically use the SSD as low speed RAM that's really exciting.
At first I was disappointed because it didn't have as many tflops but then realized "wait a minute the actual difference is only 18%, that's less than half the % difference between (38%) PS4/One and Pro/X (42%)".

I'm honestly most excited for the DS5 and next gen 3D audio. Both controller and audio have been neglected too long and not evolved as much as the visual aspect of games, but hearing and feeling complete the experience.

Mar 29, 2018
Can't wait to see how Skyrim will run on this.

On a more serious note, I'm very much looking forward to what devs will be doing with this new tech, haven't been hyped for a new gen since the jump from the 6th to the 7th.
I'm kinda worried a bit too though, faster tech means bigger assets can be used, which might translate into longer dev cycles (and people complaining) or more crunch.
This definitely will be an interesting generation.
Yeah, until development tools get a serious upgrade (to futuristic systems none of us can imagine, like accurate procedurally generated texture creation), asset creation in AAA games is always going to increase load times and development time to match what was there before. It won't be a smooth or sudden leap, I don't think.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
People are arguing the better SSD will allow you to have better visuals because you have swap/load infinitely more textures (and larger ones), and that you can do open world games in a way that's never before been seen, and like have portals you walk through that load new sections of the game in real time, and have like thousands of those portals on the screen at once, etc, because everything loads instantly.

Then they really don't know what they're talking about. You're not likely to get better visuals over that SSD speed difference.

But we'll know, soon enough.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Multiplat games don't target SSDs. While they might be recommended for those on PC to get a better experience, the games are not designed around them. That is what is changing with the next-gen consoles.
Star Citizen is 100% designed around SSDs. The devs list it in their specs, digital foundry has also said as much. The game hitches and chugs on a hard drive, it needs those higher speeds to fetch data in time.

Windows-PC

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thank you.

Flash Windows-PC Are you being this obtuse on purpose?

We now have multiple people AND devs explaining what this leap means. Games are being designed around HDD's for years. It has been the biggest bottleneck by far and the NUMBER ONE requested upgrade by developers BY FAR. Yet you guys keep playing dumb, even when people mention a PC game that is practically unplayable on a HDD.

Spider-Man: Insomniac reduced his speed because the HDD couldn't keep up otherwise and buildings would pop-in. They even showed this on a video. It's on YouTube.

The Witcher 3: Novigrad is designed in a way so that the draw distances are not to big, because HDD couldn't handle that.

Horizon Zero Dawn: Guerilla wanted players to fly Storm Birds, but we're unable to implement this due to HDD limitations. Expect this in HZD2.

There are a lot more examples, but just keep ignoring all we say.

Apart from that, a game like AC Unity will greatly take advantage from stuff like this and it will feel fluid.

If you had read my previous posts than you would know that I was talking about loading times, opening doors between two rooms, walking passages to overshadow loading in the background as example and stuff like that, and not changes in game design which you are mentioning here.

I never said that game design will not benefit from the fast SSD's. I always said that loading times didn't bothered me.

Please stop putting words into my mouth I didn't said.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Great OP.
Makes me really excited to see what devs can do with 5.5GB/s.

I wish I could put a giant banner on the top of the forum that reads "it's not about load times"

Drives today are predominantly streaming. Load screens are only a small portion of their use. The faster you can stream, the richer the world. If you can stream in fast enough, design itself can even change. PS5 drive is legit so fast we are opening doors on design that we still don't know exactly where it could take us.
Great news, and thanks for the insight. Aren't load times rumoured to be near zero though with the PS5? I would imagine that load times will be factored into Sony's "fastest console" marketing because it's easier to explain that than how SSD will benefit game design?

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for collating the info OP but... When I actually think back to playing each generation, PS2 to PS3 was the biggest leap - in both graphics and gameplay. According to your data this was also the smallest change in read speeds. It does make me wonder how much difference these faster drives will make beyond reducing load times (although good riddance to them!)

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As long as its utilized, possibly.

Don't see too many 3rd party devs taking advantage of it just yet tho.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
People aren't complaining about load times in games now because the developers have gotten really good at masking them. Instead of making you look at a loading screen with a progress bar, you are now forced to crawl through a tight hallway, climb a ladder, or take an elevator that takes a few seconds. This is where the game is loading the next sections. Once you realize this, it breaks the illusion.

There are SO MANY of them in the FF VII remake that it's really silly. Now imagine if they didn't have this problem and you didn't have to crawl through so much rubble. Same thing in the modern Tomb Raider games. Loading isn't just when you die and have to reload the level. Developers have just gotten really smart about hiding them.
People don't realize this. Take Bloodborne for instance, take 5 seconds to slowly push this super heavy rusted gate open, you have come to this stairs now fight this enemy that will slow you down so we have enough time to load the other section. GOW, TLOU, Uncharted 4, cutscene transition to a new area, open a gate to a new area, funnel you through a single part so we can ditch the old assets as you slowly walk into the new area. Devs spend time doing all this to hide loading and now they don't have to waste time doing these things.

Windows-PC

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
LOL
I'm not denying that SSDs are going to provide improvements in game design, but I take all the next gen hype quotes from devs and publishers with a huuuuge grain of salt. So much hyperbole every cycle

This! It's alarming how many people take everything what random developers say on the internet as a gospel just because it fits their narrative or personal taste.

Someone told me here on ResetEra that Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Nintendo Switch will be announced and released, and I'm still waiting :'(

So I believe everything when I see it, until then I'm curious about everything what I read on a Forum.

Nov 14, 2017
If you had read my previous posts than you would know that I was talking about loading times, opening doors between two rooms, walking passages to overshadow loading in the background as example and stuff like that, and not changes in game design which you are mentioning here.

I never said that game design will not benefit from the fast SSD's. I always said that loading times didn't bothered me.

Please stop putting words into my mouth I didn't said.
Earlier in the thread you were claiming that there would be no impact on graphical quality because the GPU draws things and not RAM.

It's fine to not understand the technology, but if the main thing you care about is graphical fidelity then you should understand that faster loads means better looking graphics.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
it is unplayable on an HDD, so yeah it is not supported. They targetted the random io of ssds in their game dev.
I feel like when you eventually make a video about SSD speed and inevitably talk about Star Citizen you have to do this in your capture and go indepth on what makes this so impressive. :D