• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
2025-camry-se-awd-supersonicred-003-661fda10bedaa.jpg

SyBW1Qi.png

SAN DIEGO — The reengineered Toyota Camry is offered only with a hybrid powertrain, but now boasts available all-wheel drive across its lineup and a lower starting price compared with the hybrid version of the outgoing model.

The 2025 Camry is powered by a 2.5-liter I-4 engine paired with Toyota's fifth-generation hybrid system, giving standard front-wheel-drive models up to 225 hp. Equipped with optional awd — accomplished by an electric motor powering the rear wheels — the Camry provides up to 232 hp, an increase of 30 hp over the outgoing model's mechanical AWD system.

The combination gives the midsize sedan near-Prius levels of fuel economy, Toyota says. EPA-estimated ratings aren't yet available, but manufacturer-estimated ratings are 53 mpg city, 50 mpg highway and 51 mpg combined.

Available at launch in four trim levels, the starting price for the base model LE equipped with FWD has declined by $455 from the outgoing version to $29,495 including shipping; AWD is a $1,525 option. The update includes a redesigned front fascia, new exterior lighting and cabin improvements.

The Camry comes standard with Toyota Safety Sense 3.0, which includes adaptive cruise control with lane-keeping, automated high-beam lighting, road sign assist and proactive driving assist, which provides "gentle braking and/or steering to support driving tasks," Toyota says.

Camry XLE and XSE models come with additional safety and driver-assist features available, including front cross-traffic alert, and front and rear parking assist with automatic braking.

The Camry remains the top-selling sedan in the U.S., with 2023 sales down 1.5 percent to 290,649 vehicles. First-quarter U.S. sales of the car rose 19 percent to 78,337, reflecting greater supply compared with a year earlier.

First, every 2025 Camry is a hybrid. Not only that, but it features the next, fifth-generation hybrid system Toyota debuted in the new Prius – albeit with a bigger 2.5-liter inline-four. While the 2025 Camry system produces more power at 225 horsepower with front-wheel drive and 232 hp with all-wheel drive (more on that soon), the big gain is that the system is smoother, quieter and just makes for better driving. Engineers increased the amount of energy provided by the lighter and more compact motor-generator to delay engine engagement while accelerating, make that engagement smoother when it does happen, and then lessen engine load.

The upgraded hybrid powertrain is a lot quieter, too, and the noises it does make are far more pleasant. The electronically controlled continuously variable transmission no longer yo-yos revs up and down so severely when you momentarily lift off the throttle – it does an even better job of keeping engine revs where they should be in Sport mode – with the added benefit of an engine note that sounds less like a droning leaf blower. There's actually quite a nice four-cylinder thrum now indicative of a car. I had an opportunity to drive a Toyota with the previous-generation hybrid system the day after my time with the Camry, and the improvement really is significant.

Fuel economy is an eye-popping 51 miles per gallon combined for the base LE and its balloony high-profile tires. The other trim levels get 47 mpg combined, while all-wheel drive drops each trim's estimate by 1 mpg combined. OK, so the XSE drops to 44 mpg combined, but that's still crazy good.

As mentioned, there will once again be an all-wheel-drive Camry available. The previous one was a mechanical system exclusively paired to the base, non-hybrid 2.5-liter. The new system is the same concept as other all-wheel-drive Toyota hybrids, including the new Prius: An extra motor added to the rear axle is engaged when the car deems the road slippery or detects front wheel slippage. There's no proactive engagement to improve performance and handling.
www.autoblog.com

2025 Toyota Camry First Drive Review: Hybrid-only overhaul is a hit - Autoblog

The 2025 Toyota Camry isn't all-new, but it is all-improved, with sharper styling, an improved hybrid powertrain, and different LE and SE dynamic setups.

2025-camry-se-awd-supersonicred-009-661fda1b3c999.jpg

2025-camry-se-awd-supersonicred-007-661fda11a0ae3.jpg

2025-camry-se-awd-supersonicred-012-661fda1cb02ed.jpg

cam-my25-0041-v001-final-1-661fda45cbefc.jpg

2025-camry-xse-cockpitred-327-661fdc8fae856.jpg

2025-camry-xle-awd-oceangem-206-661fda38f3d03.jpg

2025-toyota-camry-xle-113-6616ef5e9f102.jpg

2025-Toyota-Camry-XSE-front-three-quarter.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kurrR9K8cc

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
honeycomb grill looks kinda lame especially not in black, but otherwise decent looking vehicle and better than current face that looks too much like a Predator mouth lol

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
I wish they'd make a wagon or even just a liftback version of this. My family squeezes into a prius ok (for now) but it would be nice to have larger options without having to resort to a crossover/SUV

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
So more expensive than the 2024 Prius but cheaper than the 2025 Prius.

I guess I need to go figure out how to get some good preventative maintenance done on my 2016 Prius C since I need to cling onto that for as long as I possibly can.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I actually don't mind the way it looks, it's something different and has the new Prius and Crown Estate look which I like.

Interior is significantly improved which is great.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
I wish they'd make a wagon or even just a liftback version of this. My family squeezes into a prius ok (for now) but it would be nice to have larger options without having to resort to a crossover/SUV

I wish any of their vehicles from the Rav4 down could fit someone that is 6'6".

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I guess I need to go figure out how to get some good preventative maintenance done on my 2016 Prius C since I need to cling onto that for as long as I possibly can.
I've got a 2015 Prius C that's just gone over 100k and same. I'd never be able to get anything similar for a comparable price ever again which sucks.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Looks insanely ugly. I thought the new Accord's looked really bad too. Glad I don't need a new car for awhile.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
$30k just to start? Woof

Call me cheap, but that is a lot of money for a car

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
That is a very expensive starting price. I didn't realize the Camry had gotten that expensive.

Not sure how you can justify that if can live with an EV. The tax credits are taking cars like the Model 3, Nissan Ariya, and ID4 into the near or sub $30k range new. Even if you stick with an ICE, probably better options at that price that will be about as reliable.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I really like it but the new Accord is much sharper looking. I love that they kept all the real buttons and switches. Having the option for AWD is a big plus over the Accord though.

cubicle47b

Aug 9, 2019
I don't like the honeycomb, but the other version of the grill is fine. 50 mpg city/highway is great.

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
I love, love that Toyota kept the simple LCD layout and physical switches for the HVAC stuff. You should be able to shut off that infotainment billboard of a screen and still turn on the heat while driving late at night. So straightforward without throwing so many pixels at your face. I'm not a fan of my wife's late model Subaru Forester with its discombobulated HVAC UI with the screen up top and the buttons below, with the infotainment billboard wedged in between. Frickin' monitors everywhere. I can't wait until Subaru will allow you to show the clock on all three screens simultaneously (dash, HVAC screen, infotainment screen) /s

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
After really dislike the dog taking a shit Crown (crossover) at launch.
After Tokyo Auto Salon i was completely converted.

I can see alittle work will be needed but some bolt ons should get this car looking good.

Crown C with bolt-ons.

Toyota-Crown-Tokyo-8.webp

Toyota-Crown-Tokyo-7.webp

The True Crown though?!?!
uuummmmph....so menacing.
It actually shocks me this isnt like a concept car from some movie set in the future, dis shit be production.
2024-toyota-crown-sedan-jdm.jpg

Multi-Stage Hybrid System for a luxury car makes sense if the gas engine is quiet.
In the other cars that have similar systems its really weird to hit the gas and the engine just humms at a steady annoying rate......it sounds like when you first learn to balance a car uphill and you are too scared to stall the engine so you hold revs at like 4000rpm.

They need to sort that out......but maybe im the only one it bothers.

Macam

Nov 8, 2018

I've got a 2015 Prius C that's just gone over 100k and same. I'd never be able to get anything similar for a comparable price ever again which sucks.

Prius C owners unite!

$30k just to start? Woof

Call me cheap, but that is a lot of money for a car

It is, until you see how expensive everything else is by comparison.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Too bad I never buy new cars. Love the hybrid system for their larger cars are getting better.

Curious what's new with the Avalon.

OP
OP
RBH

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
On the subject of Toyota:

The Highlander is reportedly moving to an all-electric configuration, which will lead to a Lexus variant called the TZ. Toyota would leave the Grand Highlander with internal combustion engines, though more hybrid options are likely.

David Christ, Toyota's U.S. general manager, told CarBuzz that the automaker would also expand its electrified offerings with new plug-in hybridmodels. "We're going to expand plug-in availability throughout the lineup fairly quickly," he said. According to the publication's sources, the most likely candidates to get plugs are the 4Runner, Sequoia, Tacoma, and Tundra.

Toyota's efforts would electrify all models except the GR86 and Supra. The GR Corolla's time on the market is likely limited and may not cross paths with the new hybrid options. American production for those vehicles would bring tax credit eligibility, softening what are quickly becoming very expensive prices for Toyotas.

The automaker may also abandon its bZ ("Beyond Zero") naming scheme, though reports point to a new, smaller bZ3X to join the bZ4X soon. Beyond being hard to type, the confusing titles aren't as memorable as other names in its catalog, so the Highlander will likely sport a more familiar badge. Christ did tell CarBuzz the company would develop better bZs in the future, though, so we might not be done with the silly names just yet.
www.autoblog.com

Report: The Toyota Highlander is going all-electric - Autoblog

Recent reports point to a new Highlander EV and plug-in versions of Toyota's trucks.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
2022 was the last year for the Avalon. It was replaced by the Crown

*sigh* Lexus couldn't take it anymore huh? The Avalon was such a great series... I mother had the mid 90's version... then my brother and I bought her the 2015 version.

The Crown looks interesting. Will probably have to wait 4-5 years before I get it lol, but who knows what other kinds of cars will be available.

Last edited:

RUFF BEEST

Jun 10, 2022
Toronto, ON
I just don't understand why all hybrids aren't plug-ins. Is it really that hard to add the port? If you already have plug-in models the software for surfacing and managing the charging activity is done...

Still, being a "hybrid" that recharges from brake activity only is better than nothing.

syphonblue

Apr 29, 2022
Wow this is much nicer looking than the current Camry. If this was out in 2022, I would've probably gone with this over the Accord I went with.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I just don't understand why all hybrids aren't plug-ins. Is it really that hard to add the port? If you already have plug-in models the software for surfacing and managing the charging activity is done...

Still, being a "hybrid" that recharges from brake activity only is better than nothing.

Its not just the port, a battery in a plug in is a lot larger, and they sometimes use larger motors.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of like it. On one hand, I don't want to get rid of my car before I need to. On the other hand, I look forward to getting a hybrid that'll get me 45+ MPG since my MPG is garbage right now.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

Unless I'm missing something, they haven't announced pricing for the 2025 Prius yet?

It isn't that it's hard to add the port. Plug-in hybrids have significantly larger batteries than traditional hybrids, which adds to their cost.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
$30k starting for a midsize hybrid sedan isn't insane.
Right. It's actually a little lower than the starting price of the previous-generation Toyota Camry Hybrid, which is impressive given the additional equipment (and, of course, inflation).

Even if you stick with an ICE, probably better options at that price that will be about as reliable.
This...hasn't really been the case for the last few decades, which is why the Camry has always been so popular. And it's probably less true now than it was before, now that so many of Toyota's competitors are either discontinuing or de-emphasizing their sedans. You can't buy a new Ford Fusion instead of this, even if you wanted to. And the Chevy Malibu is very long in the tooth.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
I will probably keep my 2017 Corolla until 2027 but am definitely excited to get a hybrid when it's time. Didn't get a Camry in 2017 because the Corolla got a huge tech upgrade and the Camry felt outdated in comparison.

Last edited:

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I believe thewienke is a fellow giant, and he just got a Toyota Crown

I'm "only" 6'3" (and fat) but I've been able to fit in basically everything in their lineup. I wouldn't attempt a Toyota 86. But at worst for everything else, I just have to get the right setting to not hit my head against the sunroof. The Crown felt the roomiest against the Venza, Rav 4, Lexus NX, and the old model Lexus RX. You recline quite a bit in the Crown so the sunroof is less of a problem.

My personal daily is a Golf R right now and it's still roomy.

American full-size pickup trucks are going to be your best bet if you're like Shaq sized though.

madmook

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Never driven or had a hybrid car before, anyone know if Toyota hybrids (Camry especially) actually reach their EPA rated fuel economy in real world driving?

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
I'm "only" 6'3" (and fat) but I've been able to fit in basically everything in their lineup. I wouldn't attempt a Toyota 86. But at worst for everything else, I just have to get the right setting to not hit my head against the sunroof. The Crown felt the roomiest against the Venza, Rav 4, Lexus NX, and the old model Lexus RX. You recline quite a bit in the Crown so the sunroof is less of a problem.

My personal daily is a Golf R right now and it's still roomy.

American full-size pickup trucks are going to be your best bet if you're like Shaq sized though.
I'm also 6'3" and fat and I fit in my FRS just fine. Probably wouldn't be able to wear a helmet though unless I got a new lower seat or something. I hope they haven't made the interior of the GR86 smaller? I still want to get one at some point.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
tbf, cars really haven't gotten more expensive when you factor in inflation, its just the cost of everything else and our overall buying power makes it feel worse. 30 years ago the base price of a Camry would be like $40k in todays money.
Too Bad our salaries don't factor inflation. Everything but our wages (consumers who actually buy products ) doesn't factor For inflation :-(