• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Figured it deserved its own thread. Obviously super early stuff and who knows if any of this will be relevant.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds fantastic, getting a proper ARM switch off will set them straight up for the future and devs will focus on development for ARM finally for games

Love this actually

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Switching to ARM would be fascinating. I guess the way they handle virtualization and backwards compatibility makes this easier for them than it would be for Sony. I hope it happens just to see a more meaningful difference between the platforms next-gen (assuming Sony doesn't do the same).

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Would they be able to maintain backwards compatibility when switching to Arm? I feel like the other discussions I'd seen around the possibility implied it would be tough if even possible but I'm not particularly educated on the subject.

beebop

May 30, 2023
The way this is written makes it look like ARM is an option, not a certainty. This is probably from years ago and out of date.

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
Would they be able to maintain backwards compatibility when switching to Arm? I feel like the other discussions I'd seen around the possibility implied it would be tough if even possible but I'm not particularly educated on the subject.
You can implement a compatibility layer for incompatible titles, like rosetta on macs, but too early to tell what their long term solution could be outside of that for me

biglo25

Apr 28, 2020
they could build a layer that translate the x86 to arm like how the transition from the og xbox to xbox 360 on the new Series console

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone explain what the power of the cloud will actually do? All I remember are the pld promises Microsoft made that never panned out.

biglo25

Apr 28, 2020
that thin os is interesting is it basically a strip down bare bones xbox os for cheap devices

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully "AI Game Testing" doesn't mean QA workers will get the shaft
If I had to guess with a chest full of hopium i'd say it's just in addition

Because these games are getting so large and releasing in such dogshit states they feel the need to add another layer to it as opposed to adding more years to it strictly for an army of testers to flatten the game out

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Oct 25, 2017
You can implement a compatibility layer for incompatible titles, like rosetta on macs, but too early to tell what their long term solution could be outside of that for me

they could build a layer that translate the x86 to arm like how the transition from the og xbox to xbox 360 on the new Series console
That makes sense, so it wouldn't be a catch all thing like XB1->XS or PS4->PS5 were? they'd have to do it on a game by game basis? I suppose they did a pretty good job with the 360 games, hopefully they can get a decent number of them. I'm curious if this would push Sony to switch over too, and how they would handle BC, as they never did anything similar to what Microsoft did for the 360 and OG.

If ARM is looking like the way forward for gaming I bet Nintendo is VERY happy to have switched when they did, though I understand it was a bit more out of necessity for them, making a mobile device and all.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Wonder what sort of native performance profile they are aiming for it, because even in 2028/9 i dont think the global infrastructure will be in place for this device to work seamlessly for everyone.

EDIT: when i typed this I thought its meant to be a handheld, but it doesnt actually state this anywhere.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
What does a switch to ARM mean for back compat

Oh I see someone already addressed this...

Um... I guess we'll see!

Feb 16, 2022
If I had to guess with a chest full of hopium i'd say it's just in addition

Because these games are getting so large and releasing in such dogshit states they feel the need to add another layer to it as opposed to adding more years to it strictly for an army of testers to flatten the game out
Yeah in theory it should just be another layer of QA, but we know some of these companies love going for the cheaper options so I hope things don't become even worse for QA people

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Xbox running on ARM would be quite fascinating. Just hope Windows will keep supporting x86

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I like how we theoretically have official Microsoft information about the next-gen Xbox that will release in 2028, yet we still don't have anything official from Nintendo about the Switch 2 lmao.

Nintendo, please.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Microsoft will get node priority like Apple, so I would rather see zen 6. AMD at the top of their game right now with cpus.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
I get that its long been popular to meme Power of the Cloud, but I feel like we're at a point where there are enough real world examples to take it a bit more seriously.

Cloud streaning is pretty efficient nowadays; Server-farms are powering services like OpenAI; Flightsim is a technological achievement and is propped up on Cloud.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
I always suspected ARM CPUs would make the most sense especially looking at the performance gains from Apple. Other thing in the leaks is redesigned smaller Series X coming out next year

Ascenion

Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Welp, I'd been saying a switch to ARM was possible. This gives them the likely compatibility break they need to truly push for market share, backwards compatibility will be rough but possible. Beyond that, Windows on ARM must be making damn good progress