Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In Yu-Gi-Oh, atleast as far as the anime is concerned, there are two Types that since time immemorial tend to shine the brightest...Dragon and Spellcaster.

Dragons have sort of expanded beyond their original scope as the rival boss monster to become the ace of numerous protagonists...Yusei, Yuya, Yusaku...while Spellcasters have kind of sat back as important "secondary aces", or have been replaced by Warriors depending on the series.

That being said, there's a healthy lineage of Spellcasters throughout the Yu-Gi-Oh series so let's show some love!

Sevens-Road-Magician-DBR-JP-VG-artwork.png

Yu-Gi-Oh Sevens is the first series since really the original to bring back the Spellcaster ace in the form of Sevens Road Magician, aka...Twink Dark Magician? He's got a really fun effect where you discard a card from your deck, and then he gains 300x ATK added to his base 2100 for each different Element in your GY. This is a fun effect to use I feel and is also a nice effect for an anime protagonist, since that card discard to activate the effect may be the very Element needed to boost his ATK over the opponent.

Anyway, this card is the signature card for the Rush Format more or less and I think is pretty solid...fun design that fits the more child-friendly format, an easy to understand but useful effect, and a decent amount of support. Most of his support also works with Dark Magician (limited one per deck in Rush Duel), as they're coded to support Dark Spellcasters (Level 7 or over in some cases), which is pretty fun. It's rare an ace monsters has supported a previous protagonist ace monster like this.

Airi

Oct 27, 2017
Shy-NEET Magician - I don't have any feelings about the card's playability, but I always found the premise of this magician cute and different from the others, so I liked that.

latest

RadioHeadAche

Oct 26, 2017
I really like Gemini Elf because the original art is so appealing to me. It was also a cool beat down card back in the day.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
Some have already been mentioned, but I absolutely love all the Pendulum spellcasters. They have such varied designs, and while DM has always been my fave archetype, a lot of DM spellcasters look alike.

If I had to pick one it'd be Astrograph. The art especially gets to me, I love the colors, shapes, and epicness.

DJnNURf.png

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Gagaga Magican and Gagaga Girl. They were fun twists on Dark Magician and Dark Magician Girl.
I alos loved the Spirit Charmers archetype.

roguebubble

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 8, 2018

Feel her smug aura mocking you
Edit: Also totally forgot that exodia is a spellcaster

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
latest

Won me many a victory in Master Duel.

Oh yeah, and bringing this one out has helped destroy so many Dragon Decks. 😁

98502113.jpg

Last edited:

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Spellcasters are lame. People with taste understand that Beast / Winged-Beast / Beast-Warriors are the best.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
60303688.jpg

I love cards that have storylines attached to them, and with my experience with YGO being limited to Master Duel, the Ecclesia storyline seems to be by far the most in depth one, and the one Konami is currently pushing the most, with the card's lore spanning something like six different archetypes.

Gameplay wise, the Ecclesia + Fleurdelis is a super minimalist engine you can run in a lot of decks for an easy monster negate, and even an expanded Dogmatika engine is still small and good enough to justify inclusion. They even printed a token card with Ecclesia and Fleurdelis together, which I think looks pretty nice.

latest

(I have no clue why a bunch of holy knights are spellcasters instead of warriors of even fairies)

Edit: The lore is explained in this Youtube series. I just love how you can get so much story content just from a bunch of card art and short lore blurbs.

Last edited:

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Tempest Magician! Used this for quick kills before it got banned in the pre-pendulumn spell counter era.

And also was my avatar here for the longest time

TempestMagician-SOVR-EN-SR-LE.png

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
Still one of the few cards that can Special Summon itself from the deck right?

Is it a legal move to Tribute the Dark Magician and search for Dark Sage in your deck, and then just go "oops I don't have it?"
If you have 3 Dark Sages in grave you probably can't even attempt the effect, if you have 2 Dark Sages in grave and only play 2 your opponent can probably check your deck to confirm.

Not sure though.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Still one of the few cards that can Special Summon itself from the deck right?

Is it a legal move to Tribute the Dark Magician and search for Dark Sage in your deck, and then just go "oops I don't have it?"

Edit: Actually I think the wording for it means you do have to find it, unlike some other cards that let you search for them.

Oct 28, 2017
California
Magician of Faith (best card in Goat Format), basically a lot of the Magician's Force era spellcasters.

I really like the Xyz spellcasters like Slacker and Downerd as well.