• Yes

Votes: 652 60.4%
  • No

Votes: 428 39.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
And this report is about what their corporate governance WAS like in the past fiscal year, including topics of interest to shareholders. Note that the writeup is in the past tense.
Ah thought you had meant last year as last fiscal 2022-23 ( April 1-March 31) for Nintendo. Seems we were talking about the same thing lol.

I usually don't refer to just closed book FYE reporting numbers as "last year" at least until a quarter or two passes of the next fiscal year. Or at least until the FYE meeting that takes place concludes.

Last edited:

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
Ideally they say "We are working on hardware that is planned for release this fiscal year, we will have more to announce at a later date" especially if it is in fact coming by March.

However, I'm 100% expecting the typical "Nintendo is always working on innovations in new gaming hardware, but we have nothing to announce at this time."

Malenia

Jan 16, 2023
Seems like the Switch 2 will be discussed in the next financial briefing...

Screenshot_20240506_170546_Adobe_Acrobat.png
I'm not seeing the quote you screenshotted in the link you posted?

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Ah thought you had meant last year as last fiscal 2022-23 ( April 1-March 31) for Nintendo. Seems we were talking about the same thing lol.

I usually don't refer to just closed book FYE reporting numbers as "last year" at least until a quarter or two passes of the next fiscal year. Or at least until the FYE meeting that takes place concludes.
I hear ya. But I think in this next meeting, if they talk about the next console, it will be guidance for the 2025 FY, definitely not the last one.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I hear ya. But I think in this next meeting, if they talk about the next console, it will be guidance for the 2025 FY, definitely not the last one.
Yeah same. It's going to be in the FY25 (April 1, 2024-March 31, 2025) guidance and hardware expectations if the successor gets talked about at all in any capacity at this meeting.

Last edited:

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Depends
If it's being released this FY, they are 100% gonna mention it, it's crucial to their forecast for the year
Doesn't mean it's gonna be a huge announcement but they have to talk about it if that's when it's being released

Actually, that's a new spin on it, if they don't mention it specifically, that means the succ is launching post April. No other way around it

Last edited:

Great Martinez Jr.

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico

I don't think this means much for the content of their financial briefing tomorrow. It's really just them acknowledging topics that have been of interest to investors in the past.

That being said, I maintain that if the console is releasing this fiscal year, they'll have to address that in some fashion, although the proper reveal will most likely happen in a Direct in June or September.

Hopefully we'll at least get a codename tomorrow.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
While I think it's likely they will mention something about it, that sure seems to be them saying they talked to investors about it over the past year.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017

SpiritDusk

May 5, 2024
Lots of backtracking by certain individuals who have constantly shifted the goal posts on when this thing should be revealed..

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
If by news you mean Nintendo acknowledging new hardware coming this fiscal year, then maybe yes.

The most optimistic case is that Nintendo would acknowledge that the Switch's successor is in development and they are planning to release sometime within the next fiscal year.

Listen, I feel like I've been wandering the Switch 2 desert for 2 years. I will take even the smallest drop of water from Nintendo

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of backtracking by certain individuals who have constantly shifted the goal posts on when this thing should be revealed..
I think it would make sense not to put much stock in reports from individuals without great track records when it comes to this sort of thing. My personal beliefs are that it was never scheduled to be released this year, won't have 16GB of RAM and won't be revealed in June, because those who have said otherwise have not been correct in regards to Nintendo hardware rumors (or almost any big Nintendo rumors aside from Direct timeframes and Wii U ports, which even fake insiders have gotten right) since 2017.

All that said, speculation that Nintendo may finally acknowledge a successor's existence at this meeting has little to do with those "certain individuals." They are going to be talking about financial expectations for the next fiscal year. If the next Switch is releasing in that time frame, it would make sense for them to finally mention it. Investors are going to ask.

SpiritDusk

May 5, 2024
I think it would make sense not to put much stock in reports from individuals without great track records when it comes to this sort of thing. My personal beliefs are that it was never scheduled to be released this year, won't have 16GB of RAM and won't be revealed in June, because those who have said otherwise have not been correct in regards to Nintendo hardware rumors (or almost any big Nintendo rumors aside from Direct timeframes and Wii U ports, which even fake insiders have gotten right) since 2017.

All that said, speculation that Nintendo may finally acknowledge a successor's existence at this meeting has little to do with those "certain individuals." They are going to be talking about financial expectations for the next fiscal year. If the next Switch is releasing in that time frame, it would make sense for them to finally mention it. Investors are going to ask.

Yeah, I totally agree with you. It's just frustrating that there are clearly people engagement farming pretending they know what's going on, and then people feed on their every word. Even though the reality is they probably know as much as everyone participating in this thread.

3AM

Nov 19, 2017
Not much more coming this week aside form maybe someone from corporate Nintendo publicly acknowledging in some capacity that a new console will probably exist soon.

I'm still not... 100% convinced that the Switch successor isn't coming this year, but that's mostly just because I haven't heard even the lightest rumblings of the marketing machine firing up for the big holiday season. Now that's not... entirely unusual. We've definitely had years before where Nintendo's big holiday releases weren't announced until June, but those were typically years where there was some sort of Pokemon release in the fall we already knew about.

Right now... there is nothing. No Pokemon release this year, no major first party release, no wacky peripheral or mini console, not even any kind of substantial rumour indicating the existence of a big incoming release (maybe Metroid Prime 4. Big maybe.)

We haven't had a situation like this in years where we're approaching the mid-year point and there is not even a light humming from the Great Infernal Holiday Marketing Machine

So they either have absolutely nothing planned for the holiday sales season (unlikely) or they have some absolute bombshell release expected do Mario/Pokemon numbers that we somehow haven't caught even the slightest whispers of on a breeze (no, I don't think MP4 fits the bill. At least not alone)

Or... there is some other big release for the holiday season.

Obviously there's a chance they could just drop a big Mario Odyssey 2 or Mario Kart 9 reveal during the summer but those are maybe the only things I could see being the big focus for an otherwise very sparse holiday season.

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
The most optimistic case is that Nintendo would acknowledge that the Switch's successor is in development and they are planning to release sometime within the next fiscal year.
I think you mean this Fiscal Year, which ends in March 2025.

We haven't had a situation like this in years where we're approaching the mid-year point and there is not even a light humming from the Great Infernal Holiday Marketing Machine
Wasn't it exactly like this last year? We didn't know anything about their 2H schedule and speculated endlessly about the Switch 2, then came June and they revealed their hand and it was fine. The thing that is different now is that last year's 1H was pretty full and included TotK.

3AM

Nov 19, 2017
I think you mean this Fiscal Year, which ends in March 2025.

Wasn't it exactly like this last year? We didn't know anything about their 2H schedule and speculated endlessly about the Switch 2, then came June and they revealed their hand and it was fine. The thing that is different now is that last year's 1H was pretty full and included TotK.

Last year had Pokemon. Both Scarlet/Violet expansions released in the Fall/Holiday 2023 window and were announced at the start of the year. Their biggest hitter, Mario Kart, also had ongoing content updates throughout the year, concluding during the 2023 holiday season.

Nothing like that this year. Holiday 2024 is entirely devoid of big Nintendo releases as of right now.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Last year had Pokemon. Both Scarlet/Violet expansions released in the Fall/Holiday 2023 window and were announced at the start of the year. Their biggest hitter, Mario Kart, also had ongoing content updates throughout the year, concluding during the 2023 holiday season.

Nothing like that this year. Holiday 2024 is entirely devoid of big Nintendo releases as of right now.
Holiday 2024 is completely devoid of ANY Nintendo releases right now. Nintendo has no titles dated for 2024 beyond Luigi's Mansion 2. Giving me 2020 flashbacks, lol.

3AM

Nov 19, 2017
Yeah, that's why i just can't completely resign myself to the idea that Switch 2 isn't coming this year. They literally have NOTHING lined up right now and it is quite unlike them.

I guess if Switch 2 really isn't coming this year we're in for a HELL of a June Direct haha

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
Holiday 2024 is completely devoid of ANY Nintendo releases right now. Nintendo has no titles dated for 2024 beyond Luigi's Mansion 2. Giving me 2020 flashbacks, lol.
I'm not saying that they'll announce anything substantial at this meeting, but my goodness do they have a lot to answer for. Nintendo is the only major gaming console manufacturer left that solely is in the gaming industry, and to have absolutely nothing shown for the next 9 months of the fiscal year is insane.

OP
OP
Regiruler

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States

People will retort with "they could always announce new games" but my response is that, shouldn't all hands be on deck with games for the successor? If they keep pulling developers in to plug holes on the Switch, then they will never have the software they need for the launch they want.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
People will retort with "they could always announce new games" but my response is that, shouldn't all hands be on deck with games for the successor? If they keep pulling developers in to plug holes on the Switch, then they will never have the software they need for the launch they want.

They have some remasters left in the tank that they haven't announced

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Nintendo will reveal their post-July games in their next direct. There's no need for concern that they won't have any more games slated for the rest of the year, especially since they tend to just sit on things until they feel they're ready to release them. Games we know are coming to feel in for three months potentially:

-Nintendo World Championships: NES Edition
-Metroid Prime 4
-Fire Emblem 4 remake (heavily rumored)

And I'm sure they have a couple of other things we know nothing about, so we're good. There will be new first party switch games for people to play, just need to wait for them to announce them and give dates for what we do know of.

Oct 27, 2017
I remember that Nintendo said they would be working with NVidia for like the next twenty years in 2015 I was like wow that's like 4+ consoles… here we are going into year eight and it's looking closer to 2 maybe 3 at this point over that span 😂

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
This year is the way it is because all hands are on deck for Switch 2 launch. The rumor was that it was supposed to launch later this year but got pushed into 2025 (possibly wanted more time for software development). This is likely why the Switch lineup isn't all that great this year. I still suspect a General Direct will happen in June with a few more Switch titles left for the remainder of the year.

I could see the new system being announced later this year or in January and release shortly after.

We will almost certainly get no mention or hint at the investor meeting tomorrow though a brief mention in the June investor Q&A session is a possibility if the system is indeed targeting a Q1 release in 2025. Guess we will have to wait and see. :)

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I'm not saying that they'll announce anything substantial at this meeting, but my goodness do they have a lot to answer for. Nintendo is the only major gaming console manufacturer left that solely is in the gaming industry, and to have absolutely nothing shown for the next 9 months of the fiscal year is insane.
They'll announce stuff in June and then talk about the business outlook at their June briefing if they end up scheduling one. They don't need to answer for anything right now--shareholders know they have product in the works, just not what it is.

3AM

Nov 19, 2017
I'd rather not get too far into conspiracy territory but the rumors of the "Switch 2" having the ability to play "Switch 1" games with enhancements would lead me to believe it wouldn't be the WORST idea to have a few final bombshells on "Switch 1" and announce that they would be enhanced by the new console at launch.

Their two most successful consoles both share the common trait of having launched with slightly better versions of the previous gen's last big Nintendo game.

dcchambers

Jan 28, 2020
It's not going to launch until 2025, and unless Nintendo wants to absolutely tank their 2024 Holiday sales, they won't say anything except "a switch successor is in development."

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This year is the way it is because all hands are on deck for Switch 2 launch. The rumor was that it was supposed to launch later this year but got pushed into 2025 (possibly wanted more time for software development). This is likely why the Switch lineup isn't all that great this year. I still suspect a General Direct will happen in June with a few more Switch titles left for the remainder of the year.

I could see the new system being announced later this year or in January and release shortly after.

We will almost certainly get no mention or hint at the investor meeting tomorrow though a brief mention in the June investor Q&A session is a possibility if the system is indeed targeting a Q1 release in 2025. Guess we will have to wait and see. :)
If they wait until January to reveal the Switch 2, it's almost certainly not coming by March. There wouldn't be enough time to promote the system.