Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's odd at all. I don't play 90% of the games they talk about on the regular podcast. Don't see how movies should be any different.
Yeah that makes sense I guess. I just assumed the podcast was geared up for people to watch along and compare their views to the trio.

I doubt they will ever do it but I would love from them to do evangelism with Austin.

I'm leaving the typo, it's the weird anime series about mechs.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that makes sense I guess. I just assumed the podcast was geared up for people to watch along and compare their views to the trio.

I doubt they will ever do it but I would love from them to do evangelism with Austin.

I'm leaving the typo, it's the weird anime series about mechs.
Well yeah it is more so than the game specific podcast because they go over production details and plot beats. But for me they add a lot to make it engaging even when I haven't seen the movie. Alex has a great natural conversation flow for discussing movies and I think that makes him a great host.

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
I'd argue that the Watchcast is *explicitly* not geared to be of relevance only to those who are also watching the thing. Alex goes to great lengths to provide all sorts of informational context about a work, as well as splicing in audio to help illustrate a scene or topic.

Edit: Seriously, the Watchcasts are go damn good. Of all the content they produce, the Watchcast in particular has me 'F5-ing' so I can listen to each one as soon as it hits the feed. I'm not exactly an impartial poster here, mind; I've been on the 10-dollar tier continuously since they started.

alternate

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I am not sure how much I would enjoy the watchcast if I had never seen the movie they are talking about. Alex, however, provides enough clips and context that I don't necessarily feel I have to rewatch a movie I once saw, even if it were years ago. For example, I didn't go back and watch stsr trek TOS but because I knew who the characters were I was able to enjoy their recaps.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
I am not sure how much I would enjoy the watchcast if I had never seen the movie they are talking about. Alex, however, provides enough clips and context that I don't necessarily feel I have to rewatch a movie I once saw, even if it were years ago. For example, I didn't go back and watch stsr trek TOS but because I knew who the characters were I was able to enjoy their recaps.

Yeah, same here. I've barely remembered some movies after seeing them once decades ago, but the recaps are so good that most of the film comes back to me while I'm listening.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Maybe I'm odd but I listen to the watchcast even though I've not watched the film or TV show.

I love how excited and into it Alex is, and I really enjoy his anecdotes and stories about how something got made, or weird connections between actors.

Generally they explain enough about what's going on in the show to be able to follow along and understand WHY they have a certain view or a certain thing to talk about.

I also like that generally there's a range between them about whether they've seen it before, and if they're fans or not. Makes it more interesting than "just" 3 super-fans talking about in depth lore of star wars.
Yup, same here. I'll watch a random watchcast movie if it interests me (will def be watching Twin Peaks), but I just enjoy hearing them talk about and dissect media.

The other important thing is it isn't hindering their video games side of things either. I still feel like I get plenty of game-related content from them with the podcast + 3 streams each week. So it's just a bonus

alternate

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
When Brad finishes his documentary preparation and starts watching wrestling for real, him and Alex can do a wrestling podcast.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
At this point I'm there more because of the guys than the games or whatever they talk about. Having followed them since the Gamespot days as long as they are having a good time talking about stuff they enjoy that's a-okay by me.
I certainly wouldn't go there for accurate gaming talk :P

wild_fire

Oct 27, 2017
I love the Watchcast, hearing them discuss things outside of the typical video games is a nice change of pace. And it gives me an excuse to go back and rewatch movies I haven't seen in a while or for me to check out new movies.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I'm there more because of the guys than the games or whatever they talk about. Having followed them since the Gamespot days as long as they are having a good time talking about stuff they enjoy that's a-okay by me.
I certainly wouldn't go there for accurate gaming talk :P
Yeah this is me too. I wish they'd stop talking about gaming news altogether, it's so often inaccurate and they rarely seem terribly engaged. I've had to condition myself to stop caring about accuracy and just roll with it like I'm hanging out with a couple friends talking about games.

Cronen

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone on the higher tiers able to give us an insight in to what the May Watchcast poll is currently looking like? Looks like the poll ends tomorrow so I suspect if there's a major lead then that'll be the winner.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I like that we have a "this forum hates Redfall" metric now. Damn it's ugly.
I am a bit worried about the game but hyped nonetheless. It's Arkane.

chubbpenguin

Banned
Jan 16, 2023
Love the watchcast. Just like hearing these dudes talk tbh. If I've seen the movie its a bonus, but I still listen if I havent.

The real question is how come only the RambleCast has video?

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I like that we have a "this forum hates Redfall" metric now. Damn it's ugly.
I am a bit worried about the game but hyped nonetheless. It's Arkane.
Not going to lie I took that poll more as an indication of how the gaming side leans more towards PS5 ownership over Series consoles. Yes, I know it's on PC too, but you know what I mean.

alternate

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I am guessing the devs that are in charge of Street Fighter 6's open world are big Yakuza fans.

Love the watchcast. Just like hearing these dudes talk tbh. If I've seen the movie its a bonus, but I still listen if I havent.

The real question is how come only the RambleCast has video?

Well it wouldn't work for Watchcast - too many edits. I guess they could do it for the main cast. Dunno. Too much hassle would be my bet.

Cronen

Oct 27, 2017
Some Guys Are Coming to Kill Us won the poll at 33%. Lynch's back catalogue almost won, but ended up at 31%. Alex has said it may be the category for July if there's more appetite for Lynch after Twin Peaks S1 in June.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
So like do people enjoy these sons of the forest streams or
I asked the same question and apparently a lot of people like to zone out and treat them like a podcast. I guess most importantly Vinny and the guys said they are genuinely excited to play it again and well.. if they like it who am I to judge. I'm not gonna tune in cause it's just extremely boring to watch for me but good for them.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
I do like them but at this point it kind of feels like they've exhausted what's in the game at the moment.

I do hope that somewhere they've got "Satisfactory feature" written down. That's one thing Vinny mentioned in their very first stream as something he'd like to do and that was almost 2 years ago. Still though I do enjoy watching them play pretty much everything, but yeah they might have hit the limit on "fun new stuff" to see in Sons of the Forest in its current state.

Last edited:

Uga

Oct 31, 2017
(Some of) these survival games are interesting, and I'll never play them myself so I'm enjoying watching these streams. Plus the podcast-like aspect of them is fun as well.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
It is a shame because the Series X is such a great piece of hardware and I still prefer it's ecosystem and OS to the PS5, but as was the story with the One the games just aren't there yet. I've had a Series X since launch day and can't tell you the last game I played on it.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Im not much of a console player anymore. But aren't people playing 3rd party games on their consoles? Exclusives make up like what feels like 3% of game releases so when people say "my console is collecting dust" what do they mean?

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
As someone who owns an Xbox Series X, I should have got a PS5 instead. Playstation has a metric ton of exclusives plus VR.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
If/when I got around to getting a current gen console, which honestly isn't a guarantee at this point, I was planning on getting an X for game pass and back compat but at this rate there's no guarantee it'll be supported in a few years….

Poyunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have a PS5 and an XSX. Just due to how MS has handled previous-gen library stuff I feel way more inclined to buy on XSX.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
It is a shame because the Series X is such a great piece of hardware and I still prefer it's ecosystem and OS to the PS5, but as was the story with the One the games just aren't there yet. I've had a Series X since launch day and can't tell you the last game I played on it.
I can tell you plenty of games I played on mine but to the point, I can't tell you the last Xbox Exclusive in the same category as a Last of Us, God of War or Horizon that I have played on it. Don't get me wrong Forza Horizon is an awesome game but like.. a big action packed thrill ride adventure with top of the line graphics thats fun to play and has an engaging story? Crickets.

On the flipside thanks to Game Pass I played a ton of amazing indies and B games that I would have admittedly never plonked down the $20 to play otherwise.

Skavi

Feb 13, 2018
I would understand treating the Sons of the Forest streams like podcasts, because I definitely did the same with stuff like Blue Bombing, but…they all seem pretty absorbed with doing their little tasks whenever they play, which limits the potential for interesting conversations. I feel like I'm mostly just watching three people walking around collecting wood and occasionally fighting something without much glue holding it together.

alternate

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Is Trespass the Ice cube/ice T movie that used to be called The Looters? I remember it had a banging soundtrack that got me in to trouble with the parents when I tuned it up to 11 and they heard some of the language.

www.youtube.com

Ice Cube feat. Ice T - Looters (Rare Unreleased)

https://shop.spreadshirt.com/vza-original/Subscribe

I know there is little chance but imagine how great it would be if they could get Raid superfan Dave Lang on the cast.

I would understand treating the Sons of the Forest streams like podcasts, because I definitely did the same with stuff like Blue Bombing, but…they all seem pretty absorbed with doing their little tasks whenever they play, which limits the potential for interesting conversations. I feel like I'm mostly just watching three people walking around collecting wood and occasionally fighting something without much glue holding it together.

I think only the second Forest stream was aimless for me, when they just built a tree house and fought off waves of enemies.
The first was fun as the game was new and Alex was playing up how he much he hated it. The third and fourth at least had a quest for equipment.
Seems like Vinny is enjoying it the most but they are likely to move on to other games. I think they have got most of what is in the game for now.

Last edited:

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
A.I. has one of the all-time great movie stories.

But it has also been over a decade since I last saw it because any little issues (a bad line read, for example) are more off-putting because of the thought "Kubrick would have gone for another take there". I wish we could have gotten a Kubrick version to compare and contrast with Spielberg's.

I should watch it again.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
Today's Sons of the Forest stream started out great like any other but they made a lot of progress by the halfway point.

Including: Guns, Sharks, Hang Gliding, Art Exhibition, Baby Migration, Unicycling.

Vinny did say "At least one more" at the very end of the stream so they'll likely be done with the game in May.

Last edited:

alternate

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I feel like that GBU video exists already.

Apparently Ryan played the Bear sequence on UPF in 2013 and Vinny was on the video.

www.giantbomb.com

Unprofessional Fridays: 03/15/2013

Ryan fights bears, Patrick fights the future, Vinny fights framerates, Drew fights nausea, and Jeff fights gravity.

Ryan fights bears, Patrick fights the future, Vinny fights framerates, Drew fights nausea, and Jeff fights gravity.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Apparently Ryan played the Bear sequence on UPF in 2013 and Vinny was on the video.

www.giantbomb.com

Yessss thanks I was thinking of Ryan.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Condemned 2 is weirdly stuck on 360/Ps3. I dont believe it is even backcompat.
As much as I appreciate all the effort Microsoft put into getting as many games as possible into the backcompat program it's always so disappointing whenever you find out something didn't make it. I kept waiting for them to finally announce Jet Set Radio Future is joining the list until the very bitter end but no dice! Apparently it's up to the devs if they want to participate and the Xbox guys did all the work on their end so I dunno guess Sega wasn't interested or something.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I have a PS5 and an XSX. Just due to how MS has handled previous-gen library stuff I feel way more inclined to buy on XSX.

I have a XSX but still haven't got a PS5. I do want to get one this year because there are a lot of games I want to play on it now.

R & C: Rift Apart
GoW: Ragnarok
Horizon II Burning Shores DLC
FF7 Intergrade DLC
FF16
Spiderman 2

I might also try and get the platinum on RE4, even though I've already played 120 hours of it on XSX.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a XSX but still haven't got a PS5. I do want to get one this year because there are a lot of games I want to play on it now.

R & C: Rift Apart
GoW: Ragnarok
Horizon II Burning Shores DLC
FF7 Intergrade DLC
FF16
Spiderman 2

I might also try and get the platinum on RE4, even though I've already played 120 hours of it on XSX.

Weirdly enough I have a PS5 and haven't played any of those games, though I did pick up Rift Apart in a sale to get to at some point.

I cannot stress enough how good Astros Playroom is, if you get a PS5 that should be the very first thing you play.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
One of the few ramblecasts that was a miss for me. Just found it exhausting listening to them talk about Twitter drama. Need less musk in my life, not more