eddy

Oct 25, 2017
audioboom.com

No Mall Katanas

We're thrilled to be joined by Remap Radio's Rob Zacny this week to talk about everything from Shogun: Total War to Qui-Gon Jinn's Force balls, Manor Lords, Another Crab's Treasure, the post-Embracer troika, strategies for truly unplugging, and plenty of other stuff!

(00:00:38) Welcome Rob Zacny!
(00:01:09) How many days of vacation before you're in the zone?
(00:15:46) Total War: Shogun 2 [PC (Microsoft Windows), Mac, Linux] on Mar 15, 2011
(00:29:42) Where does Nobunaga fit into all of this?
(00:33:19) How many swords does Rob own?
(00:40:09) Wait, Yoda?! Ok, let's just get into it...
(00:55:00) Another Crab's Treasure [Nintendo Switch, PC (Microsoft Windows), Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5] on Apr 25, 2024
(01:03:16) Manor Lords [PC (Microsoft Windows)] on Apr 26, 2024
(01:19:41) Harold Halibut [PC (Microsoft Windows), PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S] on Apr 16, 2024
(01:23:17) Citizen Sleeper [Xbox Series X|S, PC (Microsoft Windows), Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Mac] on May 05, 2022
(01:32:17) Balatro [PC (Microsoft Windows), Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 5, Xbox One] on Feb 20, 2024
(01:39:13) Final Fantasy VII Rebirth [PlayStation 5] on Feb 29, 2024
(01:44:37) Fallout 76 [Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC (Microsoft Windows)] on Nov 14, 2018
(01:54:37) Switch 2 getting cool magnets?
(02:01:57) Nintendo loves a DMCA
(02:04:44) PSVR 2 possibly inching closer to PCs?
(02:08:01) Embracer Group breaks into smaller, oddly named, units?
(02:19:43) What happened to Dark Void?!
(02:21:30) Mysterious Benefactor Shoutouts
(02:22:42) We're returning to Twin Peaks on The Watchcast
(02:23:02) Thanks to Rob Zacny for joining us!

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Rob guesting is a surprise, but a welcome one.
Finally!!!!!!! pity no alex for some real home improvement talk but i'll take what i can get
Hopefully an opportunity presents itself down the line for Alex to guest on HOA. I also wouldn't mind seeing Rob and Alex finding an outlet to talk about Like a Dragon since the former seems to be really digging Infinite Wealth.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Totally agree with Rob on Citizen Sleeper. I really enjoyed that game but by the end, the narrative facade was watered down because I'd optimised the raw mechanics and it just became a box ticking exercise.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
2 minutes in and Rob is already urging the crew to lie to themselves at all times...this is glorious.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
Totally agree with Rob on Citizen Sleeper. I really enjoyed that game but by the end, the narrative facade was watered down because I'd optimised the raw mechanics and it just became a box ticking exercise.

Yeah, it mostly still worked for me, but it went from running kinda tight on resources to just having everything very quickly. I'm not entirely sure I would've liked it better if it stayed consistent, but that's because I've played too many jrpgs with that same power curve.

M3z_

Oct 30, 2017
Citizen Sleeper does a great job at replicating the feeling of having a mountain of problems of your own while also feeling pulled to help others who too are clearly struggling and not having the ability to do it all. That is of course until the game's balance eventually sways in favor of the player and it becomes rather trivial to spin all the plates.

liquiddragon

Jun 20, 2020
Still haven't gotten around to Citizen Sleeper but if anyone's at all interested, Norco is great and it's leaving Game Pass soon.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Citizen Sleeper does a great job at replicating the feeling of having a mountain of problems of your own while also feeling pulled to help others who too are clearly struggling and not having the ability to do it all. That is of course until the game's balance eventually sways in favor of the player and it becomes rather trivial to spin all the plates.
Man. Having these problems in real life... Why would I ever touch such a thing?

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
I'm with Rob and Vinny regarding both Harold Halibut and to a lesser extent Citizen Sleeper. I was fine with the slow pace and relative hands off gameplay of Harold until I looked it up and learned it's a 10 hour long game. That's a lot of walking back and forth through the same dozen or so screens.. Citizen Sleeper had a similar issue for me but this was at least mitigated to a certain degree by the menu-based gameplay that let you skip around the station. With Harold Halibut you have to actually do the legwork which gets tedious after a while no matter how wonderful the backdrops are.

alternate

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
coz its fun to solve it with dice instead of time and hard work in real life

Well you could argue that the dice represent finite resources acquired each day that you can decide to use to help other people or just help yourself, while the allocation of die denominations is random each day, you are never solving problems through straight dice roll as, if you meet par or above, a successful outcome is guaranteed.

Or I could just make a joke about solving your problems with dice

3574135-3064721945-s-l96.jpg

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Well you could argue that the dice represent finite resources acquired each day that you can decide to use to help other people or just help yourself, while the allocation of die denominations is random each day, you are never solving problems through straight dice roll as, if you meet par or above, a successful outcome is guaranteed.

That's true. I definitely liked how in-depth certain storylines went. Even though you lose some of the resource scarcity decisions in the early game you still have some tough decisions to make narratively.

Coldman

Oct 25, 2017
So weird this week hearing the ads for Nextlander and My Perfect Console on each other's podcasts. (Also funny hearing Simon Parkin butcher Vinny's last name hahahaha)

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
The Kylo Ren saber makes no sense but I really like the cross guard design and after playing Jedi Survivor where they essentially turn that style of saber into a two handed broadsword that somehow is heavier to swing (lol) I grew to like it even more

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Vinny was asking Rob about Star Wars things in the pod, so for him I'm posting the news that the 2024 update to the absolutely ridiculous "Star Wars: The Complete Canon Timeline" from Star Wars Explained is out.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaVnlWw5DAE

I was surprised the crew got into Star Wars so much since they were all pretty down on Jedi Survivor and voiced in not caring all that much about the franchise iirc. But I can also see them just wanting to give Rob some of that space to help nudge interested folks over to AMCA.

As for Star Wars Explained, they really are some of the very few excellent folks on YouTube. Maybe a little too positive/summary-heavy when it comes to the "review" end of things, but I'll take it over the gateways to chuddom that is most of the Star Wars space on YouTube/social.

Dunno how they put together that kind of video though, especially with how quickly books, comics, and shows come out to where it was already out of date when posted.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Vinny was consistently talking about how much he enjoyed Jedi Survivor when he played it and, surprising me, thought the story was actually really good.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
I thought the story was supposed to be like the best part of those two games?
Nah.. they have really good gameplay. Fallen Order was a little spotty in some places but Survivor definitely tightened a lot of the gameplay up and was a really good metroidvania. It was unfortunately plagued with with technical issues, both games really, but I wouldn't say the story is anything special.

SanderJK

Oct 31, 2017
Jedi Survivor has good characterization, it is nice bath of fun characters that do Star Warsie stuff without relying on "Remember This Guy?!"
But the story is pretty weak, because it relies on two twists that I clocked almost immediately.
Sometimes it's fun to be a little smarter than the story, but when stuff is too obvious it makes the main cast look dumb.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I like how Rob can talk endlessly about Star Wars but also give it shit. The best type of fan.