Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
If Bianca tells Dan that RDR2 is good and holds his hand while showing him how it's good he will probably end up liking it.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Oh yeah. I remember her first year and she made some crack about P5's music being like an amateur dinner theater musical and I was all ready to kayfabe horror and disgust (ABBY!! AAAABBBBYYYYYY!!!!) but nope. Hateful shits swarmed.

I recall her make gagging noises when Alex and Ben were playing some of their favorite P5 tracks. Talk about being childish and unprofessional.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
lol... this discussion.
In the joy to play category.
Chicory possibly has to go because the gameplay is not great (on PS5?)
Artful Escape possibly has to stay even tho the gameplay is not great.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair the music category was always the worst. There is no way to get someone to like/rate a games soundtrack by playing them bits and pieces of a couple songs on youtube. The entertainment came from watching them try.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair the music category was always the worst. There is no way to get someone to like/rate a games soundtrack by playing them bits and pieces of a couple songs on youtube. The entertainment came from watching them try.

Getting votes by picking the exact song to appeal to one person's tastes is a time honoured tradition

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
The best music category was always the most frustrating GB category to watch or listen to for sure. The way that orchestral music was cast aside with little discussion was always painful lol.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, best music was always a dumb category. Music needs to sit for a long time with a person before they can make a judgment call, and in these cases the music also needs to be taken in context with the game. It was never viable a category. It would be okay if they treated it like a dumb joke, but somehow it always ended up being one of the longest categories, which just exacerbated the issue.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i actually liked it in a kind of 'musical showcase of the year' sort of way but actually having to make any kind of decision on it was dumb

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Fire Escape and Nextlander should have done a winner and 1 runner up for each category since it's just 3 people. They would have much spicier conversations lol.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Abby was right about P5's music.
What was the original criticism of it? I thought the entire Persona 5 soundtrack was incredibly good and matched the pace as well as the aesthetic of the game perfectly. It's so mellow and easy going that it's hard to imagine how anyone would find fault with it unless you have a very specific taste in music and don't venture outside of it.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Deathloop's OST is almost entirely jazz (which is the least offensive music out there) and they didn't even give it a nomination. Lame!

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing Life is Strange: True Colors now (just finished ep 2) and I hope it is showered with accolades.

Best looking, best music, best character. Best Use of Gnomes? Coziest game. Yeah, just give it all of 'em.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
I'm playing Life is Strange: True Colors now (just finished ep 2) and I hope it is showered with accolades.

Best looking, best music, best character. Best Use of Gnomes? Coziest game. Yeah, just give it all of 'em.
I watched the entire Nextlander playthrough of it and to borrow a phrase, it looked like another one of those. The relationships didn't seem nearly as strong as those presented in the first game which in my opinion is still the best of the bunch.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Good faces and expressions, gorgeous environments and (some) good characters.
It deserved a bit more than that.

Also "one of those" can be applied to pretty much everything. It's a lazy phrase.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Did the devs ever fix the atrocious performance issues? I played for a few hours but it got to me.
I hear it's much better now. I finished the game before any real patches and have to say the performance and bugs heavily weighed down the experience. I really wanted to chill out and enjoy the vibes but the game was just tripping me up at every turn.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hear it's much better now. I finished the game before any real patches and have to say the performance and bugs heavily weighed down the experience. I really wanted to chill out and enjoy the vibes but the game was just tripping me up at every turn.
Maybe I will revisit it and see if it is any better.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
This thread sure is another one of those, huh?

I have Jett installed but haven't tried it out and the discussion today bummed me out a bit. I'm gonna get to that game soon though. I know it deserves it.

DrewyMcK

Nov 5, 2017
I guess they haven't done any individual (or group) top 10 list? Had a look at the timestamps for this week's podcast and it looks like it's just more regular categories. Is there going to another GOTY episode next week?

tarantullama

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't had the chance to listen to the latest pod yet, but if they've done overall GOTY I'm sure Inscryption won.
While I enjoyed the game, how spoiler-sensitive all the talk was around it and how much people said it changed later on, I was really expecting some big genre change ups. But that game is a card game all the way to the end, it just alters how the game is presented. Not a bad thing, but expected something different.

Cronen

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't had the chance to listen to the latest pod yet, but if they've done overall GOTY I'm sure Inscryption won.
While I enjoyed the game, how spoiler-sensitive all the talk was around it and how much people said it changed later on, I was really expecting some big genre change ups. But that game is a card game all the way to the end, it just alters how the game is presented. Not a bad thing, but expected something different.
I'm still working through the latest pod, but it looks like GOTY and maybe personal picks? will be next week. This week's categories are…

Best Music
Best Character
Zestiest Joie de Vivre
Best Time Loop
"I wish I liked it more"

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Not sure how to articulate this without feeling flamey, but the lack of any major combativeness/rage as was the case with the last few years of GBGOTY was refreshing. Not sure if it was because there were fewer cooks in the kitchen or the folks just agreed on more stuff but it didn't feel like anyone was desperately clinging to their game and causing tension for others and I loved it

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
small crew really does deflate all the crazy fighting lol ... music was pretty darn disappointing but i never recall that being my favorite moment for someone that has played endwalker and TWETY neo and quite a few other games with banger tracks (blue Archive ) that i know none of them will play all i can say Okay

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
The Nextlander podcast is fine, but I can't say I'm as hyped for it the way I use to be for the GB GOTY stuff. For me, the trolling/politicking/headbutting ect made those fun to listen to. However, I'm not surprised at the Nextlander Approach. A lot of the combativeness in the GB GOTY was driven by Jeff and Brad (and Dan/Abby later on). Vinny was never the type to really dig in and fight for his picks, he was usually more of the moderator.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Not sure why Brad was chuckling in surprise that he didn't remember P5 Strikers coming out. It's a spin off to a JRPG series that he doesn't play and doesn't care about.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
The Nextlander podcast is fine, but I can't say I'm as hyped for it the way I use to be for the GB GOTY stuff. For me, the trolling/politicking/headbutting ect made those fun to listen to. However, I'm not surprised at the Nextlander Approach. A lot of the combativeness in the GB GOTY was driven by Jeff and Brad (and Dan/Abby later on). Vinny was never the type to really dig in and fight for his picks, he was usually more of the moderator.
You might want to check out FireEscape. It's only three of them but I think they strike the perfect balance of shit talking each other the way close friends do and also having reasonable arguments and compromises that don't drag the whole thing down. If you're scared of Dan then let me assure you that he has definitely mellowed out a bunch. As someone that found Dan nearly insufferable as often as I found him hilarious back at GB, he really seems to have become a lot more open and less "on" all the time.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
You might want to check out FireEscape. It's only three of them but I think they strike the perfect balance of shit talking each other the way close friends do and also having reasonable arguments and compromises that don't drag the whole thing down. If you're scared of Dan then let me assure you that he has definitely mellowed out a bunch. As someone that found Dan nearly insufferable as often as I found him hilarious back at GB, he really seems to have become a lot more open and less "on" all the time.
I agree with you but the goty cast might not be the best start. In the first category he adds two "troll" games then spends too long making a big deal about taking them off, the drags the conversation on too long by insisting they "whittle".

I love Dan and I think he has a great imagination, and does some very funny stuff...it's just that the start of the goty cast is not his finest hour.

Meta commentary: I really love nextlander but I just realised that it is, itself, "another one of those".

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
I've noticed Dan get to be too much (for me) on the regular pods they do from time to time - his running bit about Hollow Knight is getting old - but I personally didn't feel it as much during the GOTY. I think Mary's violent reactions to his trolling are what balances it out for me. Having someone yell "shut the fuck up Dan you're not putting this on this list" is remarkably cathartic.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
the weird thing about old gb and nextlander is that people would turn up to soundtrack of the year ready to discuss their soundtracks but uh not actually load up the music they wanted to showcase to give it the best shot? Like I was ready for Psychonauts 2 to start with the jack black song but they wound up futzing around for like ten minutes listening to random hallway background music first. what

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
The category would only have made some amount sense had they all listened to each others tracks in peace and quiet beforehand. Scrubbing through a soundtrack played on a phone speaker and judging the score from that seems nonsensical.

But also, I never cared for any GOTY discussions in the first place and would usually drop off during the 2nd day podcast. All of it seems irrelevant to me.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
the weird thing about old gb and nextlander is that people would turn up to soundtrack of the year ready to discuss their soundtracks but uh not actually load up the music they wanted to showcase to give it the best shot? Like I was ready for Psychonauts 2 to start with the jack black song but they wound up futzing around for like ten minutes listening to random hallway background music first. what
God gave us podcast chapters so you can skip the music category.