Flex1212

Jul 12, 2019
Also a YouTube TV subscriber. It's an excellent service. Curious how this will all work.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
I've had YouTube TV for years and share a subscription with a couple of family members. Compared to the competition (Hulu Live, Sling, DirecTV Stream), I think it has the best app, the best UI, and the best DVR system. It's very easy to use their apps on Roku, iOS, etc

Interested to see what the price is.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
I have no idea what this means for those of us outside the US. I'm sure it will suck as always. Being in Canada I was hoping that Apple would win and take care of us outside the US.

RBH

Nov 2, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/JamesPalmerTV/status/1605932195121545216?s=20&t=ISqAojjb_LD8VQ4Ftd5kWA

YouTube Primetime Channels is a new way for users to subscribe and watch content from their favorite streaming services right on the YouTube app. With over 30 channels, users can browse, sign up for, and watch their favorite shows, movies, sports, and more. With so many streaming options today, Primetime Channels makes it easier for viewers to watch their content in one place without having to jump from app to app, while also managing their subscriptions all in one place.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
Has sunday ticket been offered a la carte before? I remember that at one point you had to be a directv subscriber to even purchase it, so this is good news

I will stick with Redzone, as Im a philly sports fan and live in the area, but in the future I might be going out of state and now I'll be able to watch the games without getting a sattelite.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Since I'm a big dummy, if you subscribe to YTTV, does that also give you access to YouTube Premium? Or are those different services?

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Are they going to have on demand recording of games or allow you to rewind a live broadcast? I know my Dad would always record games, sometimes not being able to watch them all the way live.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
What is YouTube Primetime?

It's the equivalent of Amazon Channels, where a service like Shudder or Paramount+ lets you subscribe to their service but Amazon (or Google in this case) handles the billing and distribution of the content via their CDN. So in effect Youtube Primetime is when you will subscribe to this as a standalone service, without having to be a member of any other paid YouTube services. It's not related to other subscriptions you might have. Playback should just be via the Youtube website and apps.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I like how the NFL does a good job of spreading its content on different platforms to assure competition over rights in the coming years.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Has sunday ticket been offered a la carte before? I remember that at one point you had to be a directv subscriber to even purchase it, so this is good news

I will stick with Redzone, as Im a philly sports fan and live in the area, but in the future I might be going out of state and now I'll be able to watch the games without getting a sattelite.

I think it was only offered standalone if you were in a residence that couldn't get DirecTV. Apartment buildings, houses with no exposure in the direction of the satellites, etc. So this is a pretty significant change.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Wow there it is.

They better figure out how it's going to work for bars and restaurants STAT.

DirecTV is going to be struggling. They get so much buy in year round from bars and restaurants because of Sunday Ticket for 5 months.

RBH

Nov 2, 2017
Another benefit of Sunday Ticket being on a service like YouTube instead of DirecTV?

It should be much easier to cancel if needed, and not have to go through customer service reps and such

Oct 25, 2017

It was always tied to DirecTV and then some time in the 00s they opened up Red Zone to all cable companies

This will no doubt be a huge up tick in subscriptions b/c you wont need to be tied down to Satellite

Oct 25, 2017
Another benefit of Sunday Ticket being on a service like YouTube instead of DirecTV?

It should be much easier to cancel if needed, and not have to go through customer service reps and such

Also should be 10x easier to bypass blackout rules now since you can run it on a device that can more easily access a VPN

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
They paid $2b year, DirecTV old deal was $1.5b/year, fully expect to be more than DTV.

Rumor was Apple was in the lead for negotiations up until the end, but wouldn't close the deal due to not wanting it to be an extra charge. They wanted it included in Apple TV sub, but the NFL balked and wanted it to be a premium charge on top of any service (likely to not devalue the product in eyes of customers).

So, there is a chance the price is the same and Google uses it as a loss leader for subs, like Apple was planning to do.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Wow there it is.

DirecTV is going to be struggling. They get so much buy in year round from bars and restaurants because of Sunday Ticket for 5 months.
They're done.

I can't stand them since they have exclusive access to Knicks, Rangers, and Yankees via their streaming service. I will would to get cable (yuck) or switch to them from YTTV to be able to reliability watch those games.

Regional sports networks are annoying.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow there it is.

I think you're over stating how hard it will be for a bar. It's available on tv's, streaming boxes, etc. Shit I wouldn't be shocked if Google had some incentive for these bars where they just end up sending them free hardware

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Rumor was Apple was in the lead for negotiations up until the end, but wouldn't close the deal due to not wanting it to be an extra charge. They wanted it included in Apple TV sub, but the NFL balked and wanted it to be a premium charge on top of any service (likely to not devalue the product in eyes of customers).

So, there is a chance the price is the same and Google uses it as a loss leader for subs, like Apple was planning to do.

I thought that was hard to believe when I read it. It's a non-starter for the NFL to offer any of their content for free, because it kneecaps the negotiations with Fox, NBC, ESPN, CBS, etc, next year when those contracts are up.

That part of it coming out this week, when Apple was out of the running, seemed like BS to me. "Well, we *were* in the running but we wanted to give the NFL to everybody for free and that's why we didn't get it, while Google and AMazon are hording it for $300 year!" (or w/e)

Just didn't seem believable and I think we would have heard about that 6 months ago when Apple first mentioned they were bidding for it.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I thought that was hard to believe when I read it. It's a non-starter for the NFL to offer any of their content for free, because it kneecaps the negotiations with Fox, NBC, ESPN, CBS, etc, next year when those contracts are up.

That part of it coming out this week, when Apple was out of the running, seemed like BS to me. "Well, we *were* in the running but we wanted to give the NFL to everybody for free and that's why we didn't get it, while Google and AMazon are hording it for $300 year!" (or w/e)

Just didn't seem believable and I think we would have heard about that 6 months ago when Apple first mentioned they were bidding for it.
Probably the black out rules were the biggest thing for Apple.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
They paid $2b year, DirecTV old deal was $1.5b/year, fully expect to be more than DTV.

The whole thing might be the same cost but if they're offering a la carte then you might be able to break it up by team. Also they're going to get so many more subs now I'm sure that extra spend will be offset. Don't be surprised if it's cheaper.

May 14, 2021
As long as YTTV keeps offering RedZone channel for 10 bucks a month, this won't affect me. I used to buy ST just to get RedZone.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
It's the equivalent of Amazon Channels, where a service like Shudder or Paramount+ lets you subscribe to their service but Amazon (or Google in this case) handles the billing and distribution of the content via their CDN. So in effect Youtube Primetime is when you will subscribe to this as a standalone service, without having to be a member of any other paid YouTube services. It's not related to other subscriptions you might have. Playback should just be via the Youtube website and apps.

this seems interesting and might be similar to how you get the Sunday Ticket currently if you can't get DTV or have a student email address.

RBH

Nov 2, 2017

They've offered it as a standalone service in college dorms and apartment complexes depending on your zip code (IIRC), but it's not really been offered a la carte on a large scale like this.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
I think it was only offered standalone if you were in a residence that couldn't get DirecTV. Apartment buildings, houses with no exposure in the direction of the satellites, etc. So this is a pretty significant change.

It was always tied to DirecTV and then some time in the 00s they opened up Red Zone to all cable companies

This will no doubt be a huge up tick in subscriptions b/c you wont need to be tied down to Satellite

They've offered it as a standalone service in college dorms and apartment complexes depending on your zip code (IIRC), but it's not really been offered a la carte on a large scale like this.

Ah ok, thanks. This a pretty big deal.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YTTV was great when it first started, but it's gotten too big and too expensive. I cut cable for a reason.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm done with DirecTV as soon as week 18 is finished as a matter of fact I might be done after week 17 since the Lions/Packers play week 18 so I'll be able to watch that locally. Ok so reviewing the options even though it standalone I may still get YoutubeTV and sub to Bally sports cause it seems that DirecTV stream doesn't have NFL Network for some reason.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Nice to have this an option to anyone who can stream rather than tied to DirecTV.

I have YouTube TV, wonder if there will be an bundle discount or just the same price for standalone or having it on top of YouTube TV.

YouTube TV is pricey and doesn't save me a ton over what I was offered to extend my cable contract—mostly because Xfinity is our only ISP option and stand alone internet is pricey, so hopefully AT&T (have seen them putting up lines a lot lately) or someone else will come out our neighborhood with better prices.f

I need one of the live streaming services or cable/satellite since I watch a lot of sports and don't have the patience to mess with illegal streams. Prefer the live streaming to just give less money to Xfinity and it's easier to cancel here and there when I'm not watching much (often in summer as I follow MLB less closely).

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
Hoping that Dazn gets it for Canada again. Good price and it works.

Our sports streaming is so broken up here. I bought NBA league pass before and found out that so many games were blacked out due to being on TSN/Sportsnet and that included the playoffs. But say you are a Raptors fan, you have to subscribe to both services as they split games. Same with the playoffs, splits between the two. So frustrating.

RBH

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah I'm done with DirecTV as soon as week 18 is finished as a matter of fact I might be done after week 17 since the Lions/Packers play week 18 so I'll be able to watch that locally. Ok so reviewing the options even though it standalone I may still get YoutubeTV and sub to Bally sports cause it seems that DirecTV stream doesn't have NFL Network for some reason.
My parents have DirecTV Stream, and it's a surprisingly good service. They've improved a lot compared to what they were like a year ago. They offer a standalone box with a remote that resembles a traditional TV remote with channel numbers and such, so it's actually a nice advantage compared to the other streaming services. Plus, having Bally included on DirecTV Stream instead of having to do a separate Bally subscription is nice. But yeah, NFL Network is their one glaring omission in their channel lineup.

directv-device.ashx