• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Game of the Week

• Niners vs Chiefs

Votes: 73 39.9%
  • Other

Votes: 123 67.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ

View: https://www.threads.net/@dvannattaj/post/C53PNvVxUbX

This great article confirms a few things:

• He isn't getting another HC job again most likely.

• ATL
    • Atlanta came the closest, but after Blank spoke to Kraft (both of them), they decided against it.
    • The Krafts told anyone who asked them that he is difficult to work with and basically told teams to stay away from him.
    • Blank initially had his mind set on him but backed away after speaking to Kraft.
    • Belichick thought he had the job. He even told Blank he just wanted to coach and wouldn't challenge the FO/GM but they didn't buy it
  • Eagles, Cowboys, and Giants are the teams he would look to see if they have openings in 25
  • Wash considered him; Magic wanted him as the HC, but Harris (owner) didn't want a coach who also acts like a GM
  • Same reason why all the teams with openings stayed away from him.

• Eagles
    • Howie and Lurie kicked the idea around even though they didn't have an opening - they think he still has his "fastball"
    • Ultimately, they decided they liked and were confident that Nick would lead the program.
    • Didn't want to redo the entire staff, personnel, staff with coaching and FO personnel
    • Would involve different philosophy and they weren't ready to change everything up - sounds like they don't want another Chip situation
    • They did talk to Belichick but claimed it was to see how he was doing, not to offer him a job.
    • Even with all that, I'm worried they still consider him in 25 if things go really bad for Nick.

I like DeJean better than Mims in terms of needs. Dane Brugler OTOH…

IMG-2173.jpg

I was reading this mock just now! I'd be pretty happy with this haul.

It makes sense because Dane is lower on DeJean than most others. Mims also makes sense as a guy who is more of a project and won't need to start right away. Dane is pretty good and plugged in, and this aligns more with the Eagles' organizational philosophy.

Howie hinted at taking players who you don't need or expect to start right away: Howie hints at taking a tackle

I'd prefer one of the corners and then taking a tackle in the second round, but it seems increasingly likely that it will be Mims or someone like him. Adding two more Georgia guys would be hilarious.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But damn I'd be nervous if I was a Washington fan and I hear all these rosy comparisons to Lamar, but then all the stats (in this article and elsewhere) are telling us, "no not even close to Lamar, he's actually got the pocket awareness of Fields, and the same passing tentativeness as Mariota."

One of the stats that stuck out to me was that he only attempted passes on 48% of pressured dropbacks last season (meaning he scrambled or was sacked the other 52% of the time). The writer went as far back as 2014 and that's the lowest % of any QB drafted in the top 3 rounds, and only 5 other players were even below 60%: Sam Howell, Justin Fields, Malik Willis, Trey Lance, and Hendon Hooker. All dudes who eat sacks for breakfast in the NFL.

He also has the highest scramble rate from a clean pocket of any QB that was looked at by a wide margin, and the only QBs even in the neighborhood were Fields, Brissett, and Hurts. ...yikes.
Honestly, not that nervous, no matter who they take. I imagine most Washington fans like myself are just so happy to see "adults" in charge again, by all reporting, Harris is educating himself on the process but not dictating the process. I want success for whoever they take at 2nd but I think fans just want to see a decent hit rate on all the off-season stuff. Under Ron, we just seemed to get worse and worse with their off season "additions". Though some ok drafts, FA normally got us older and slower but not better. Though, that's not to say the nervousness won't rise but, right now, I think most the fanbase is still in the afterglow of the Snyder exorcism, just trying to enjoy football again. I just want someone who can get Terry the ball, that's all. The Mariota comparison is interesting though since he's the backup here in Washington now 🧐

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA

• ATL
    • Atlanta came the closest, but after Blank spoke to Kraft (both of them), they decided against it.
    • The Krafts told anyone who asked them that he is difficult to work with and basically told teams to stay away from him.
    • Blank initially had his mind set on him but backed away after speaking to Kraft.
    • Belichick thought he had the job. He even told Blank he just wanted to coach and wouldn't challenge the FO/GM but they didn't buy it
  • Eagles, Cowboys, and Giants are the teams he would look to see if they have openings in 25
  • Wash considered him; Magic wanted him as the HC, but Harris (owner) didn't want a coach who also acts like a GM

• Eagles
    • Howie and Lurie kicked the idea around even though they didn't have an opening - they think he still has his "fastball"
    • Ultimately, they decided they liked and were confident that Nick would lead the program.
    • Didn't want to redo the entire staff, personnel, staff with coaching and FO personnel
    • Would involve different philosophy and they weren't ready to change everything up - sounds like they don't want another Chip situation
    • They did talk to Belichick but claimed it was to see how he was doing, not to offer him a job.
    • Even with all that, I'm worried they still consider him in 25 if things go really bad for Nick.

I was reading this mock just now! I'd be pretty happy with this haul.

It makes sense because Dane is lower on DeJean than most others. Mims also makes sense as a guy who is more of a project and won't need to start right away. Dane is pretty good and plugged in, and this aligns more with the Eagles' organizational philosophy.

Howie hinted at taking players who you don't need or expect to start right away: Howie hints at taking a tackle

I'd prefer one of the corners and then taking a tackle in the second round, but it seems increasingly likely that it will be Mims or someone like him. Adding two more Georgia guys would be hilarious.

Some of the stuff about Kraft is really shitty, but Belichick has done himself no favors the past 5 years. Terrible player and coaching personnel decisions, that are going to take years to fix. Basically the only coaches remaining are on defense. That's the one area where Belichick remained elite. Special teams and offense are all gone.

I think he'd make an amazing advisor somewhere, but I don't think any coach would want him as an advisor. Because you're only a losing streak away from being replaced by your "advisor".

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
Nah, id rather they try Kellen

Lurie is getting older. He might shake things up and try to take a swing with BB if he thinks the roster is there and the only issue is the coaching. If the season doesn't go well and it is between BB and another unproven HC candidate, I worry that he will choose BB.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Daniels, McCarthy, and Penix.
If Penix wasn't held together with duct tape and steel I would have him second behind Caleb. His arm talent is insane and he can move.

McCarthy it's hard to tell because he was never really used as much as he could have been in that offense. His 3rd down numbers are insane. I wanted him for my Bunkos.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017

• ATL

Huh. Interesting peek behind the curtain.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Drake Maye is the 5th best Qb this draft. His accuracy is ass
Maye is 66.5% for his college career.
The projected number 1 pick Caleb is also 66.5%
Daniels was 63% at Arizona state and 70.4% at LSU..(58.3%)
JJ McCarthy 68.4% (57.6%)
For JJ and Daniels I left out the year they were full starters it's the bracket year percentage.
JJ was splitting reps.
Daniels only started 4 games in 2020, his grand parents died of covid within a month of each other..

Fnor

Nov 7, 2023
It's kind of shocking that what undid Belichick in the end was loyalty (or attachment) to "his guys" in assistant positions. Maybe they know where the skeletons are buried?

fade

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maye is 66.5% for his college career.
The projected number 1 pick Caleb is also 66.5%
Daniels was 63% at Arizona state and 70.4% at LSU..(58.3%)
JJ McCarthy 68.4% (57.6%)
For JJ and Daniels I left out the year they were full starters it's the bracket year percentage.
JJ was splitting reps.
Daniels only started 4 games in 2020, his grand parents died of covid within a month of each other..

I think people are more critical of Maye because of the notion that he misses "easy layups" and some of the time the misses are a huge miss rather than a slightly errant throw so it jumps out at people but as you've demonstrated at the end of the day the completion percentages are relatively the same. Also coaches and scouts seem to think the footwork issues causing maye to miss the "easy layups" are the easiest thing to correct out of any of the other shortcomings the QBs exhibit.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Reading that article, it does sound like Belichek's days as a HC are done. Maybe Jerry Jones takes a shot next year on Bill. Maybe...

1. The Bears are in a really good place long term with the salary cap.
2. How do the Chiefs keep getting away with it??????? It really helps to have Mahomes.

They get a lot of production on defense with rookies/first contract players, and I don't think a single skill position player on their team other than Kelce is on their second contract.

Mahomes, luck, and an aggressively cheap owner lmao

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Reading that article, it does sound like Belichek's days as a HC are done. Maybe Jerry Jones takes a shot next year on Bill. Maybe...

1. The Bears are in a really good place long term with the salary cap.
2. How do the Chiefs keep getting away with it??????? It really helps to have Mahomes.
There are plenty of idiots owners who'd take a shot on Belicheat. They just didn't have an opening this cycle.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
The more film I've watched the more I'm convinced that outside of Caleb Williams this QB class is being extremely overrated.

Caleb Williams: Clear top QB in the draft. Has some footwork issues and was prone to some "hero ball" of trying to do too much, but he's first and it's not close.

Jayden Daniels: I really wanted to like Daniels, but the more I watched the less I liked. Very often a one read and run type of QB, very rarely scanned the field. Bailed on clean pockets a TON. Takes way to many gigantic hits that will end or shorten his career if he doesn't change. Shockingly below average arm strength. His deep balls float/hang and are often underthrown. Played with elite receivers and when you watch the film, Nabers is WIDE ass open on the majority of his receptions (Nabers is the guy who flashes on film when you watch the LSU offense). All that plus he's an older prospect. Electric as a runner though.

JJ McCarthy: A fucking complete question mark. Pure projection, there is close to nothing you can take from his Michigan film. He's young, athletic, and has a good arm, so teams are just hoping he has other intangibles. Impossible evaluation. Drafting QB's is a crap shoot as it is, McCarthy is the ultimate crap shoot

Michael Penix: When I see Penix, I see left handed Derek Carr. Both are much better athletes than they show on the field (won't run even when they should). Both have great arm talent. Both completely fall apart against pressure. Penix is also an over aged talent with an extensive injury history. If things work out he could be a career starter, but like Carr was, more of a second round guy

Bo Nix: I just don't get it, I see career back-up. I see footwork issues that lead to erratic passes, he struggled to play out of structure if the first read of the Oregon gimmicky offense wasn't there, he telegraphs his primary read, and he only started to excel in college in an offense that featured almost exclusively screen passes, RPO's, and occasionally short to intermediate passes. Plus he's an older prospect as well.

Drake Maye: Man this guy looks the part. Height, weight, athleticism, age, etc. But the film just isn't great. He's athletic, but not twitchy. He was extremely bad a reading where the pressure was coming from pre-snap that would lead to pressure and sacks. Prone to hero ball, that can look good when it works, but often leads to chaotic turnover worthy plays. Far too many balls sail on him due to poor footwork. He's slow in his progressions and had trouble with some relatively simple coverage rotations.

The NFL's desperate need for QB's is doing a TON to push these guys up the board.

M3z_

Oct 30, 2017
Accuracy can be fixed as has been shown by Josh Allen. Obviously not everyone is Allen, but accuracy isn't something that can't be addressed.

SteamyPunk

Oct 26, 2017
Washington and New England should trade down with a team that they think will be in the top 5 next year. All these QBs seem like busts...

Then again, who saw Stroud coming? Actually, what are the hindsight metrics that explain Stroud's success?

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ

Lurie and Howie seemed to be sold on his ability to still coach. They just didn't want to overturn everything and start anew this year. They still believe in Nick.

But if things go bad this year, I'm afraid they'll turn to BB as the next HC.

Washington and New England should trade down with a team that they think will be in the top 5 next year. All these QBs seem like busts...

Then again, who saw Stroud coming? Actually, what are the hindsight metrics that explain Stroud's success?

By this point of the draft cycle, every player sucks, and no one is "worth" drafting.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
The more film I've watched the more I'm convinced that outside of Caleb Williams this QB class is being extremely overrated.

Caleb Williams: Clear top QB in the draft. Has some footwork issues and was prone to some "hero ball" of trying to do too much, but he's first and it's not close.

Jayden Daniels: I really wanted to like Daniels, but the more I watched the less I liked. Very often a one read and run type of QB, very rarely scanned the field. Bailed on clean pockets a TON. Takes way to many gigantic hits that will end or shorten his career if he doesn't change. Shockingly below average arm strength. His deep balls float/hang and are often underthrown. Played with elite receivers and when you watch the film, Nabers is WIDE ass open on the majority of his receptions (Nabers is the guy who flashes on film when you watch the LSU offense). All that plus he's an older prospect. Electric as a runner though.

JJ McCarthy: A fucking complete question mark. Pure projection, there is close to nothing you can take from his Michigan film. He's young, athletic, and has a good arm, so teams are just hoping he has other intangibles. Impossible evaluation. Drafting QB's is a crap shoot as it is, McCarthy is the ultimate crap shoot

Michael Penix: When I see Penix, I see left handed Derek Carr. Both are much better athletes than they show on the field (won't run even when they should). Both have great arm talent. Both completely fall apart against pressure. Penix is also an over aged talent with an extensive injury history. If things work out he could be a career starter, but like Carr was, more of a second round guy

Bo Nix: I just don't get it, I see career back-up. I see footwork issues that lead to erratic passes, he struggled to play out of structure if the first read of the Oregon gimmicky offense wasn't there, he telegraphs his primary read, and he only started to excel in college in an offense that featured almost exclusively screen passes, RPO's, and occasionally short to intermediate passes. Plus he's an older prospect as well.

Drake Maye: Man this guy looks the part. Height, weight, athleticism, age, etc. But the film just isn't great. He's athletic, but not twitchy. He was extremely bad a reading where the pressure was coming from pre-snap that would lead to pressure and sacks. Prone to hero ball, that can look good when it works, but often leads to chaotic turnover worthy plays. Far too many balls sail on him due to poor footwork. He's slow in his progressions and had trouble with some relatively simple coverage rotations.

The NFL's desperate need for QB's is doing a TON to push these guys up the board.

I think Maye gets pushed up because he was able to do what he did on a completely untalented offense. His best receiver probably won't be taken til the 3rd or 4th round, and that's the only other player on offense that's expected to be drafted. Penix and Daniels both have WRs that are likely top 10 picks.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

I was vigorously beating the Stroud drum this time last year. Bryce Young seemed like a terrible pick and I was thinking anyone who had Young ahead of Stroud was crazy.

Even I didn't think Stroud would be THAT good that quickly though.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
Not true, this is one of the best offensive tackle drafts I can remember. And despite it seeming like every year is stacked at receiver, this one is ultra stacked as well.

sure but then you read their scouting reports and it's more about what they can't do or their weaknesses. these guys get picked apart like crazy.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York

• ATL

• Eagles

People will only put up with headaches as long as they're producing results. If you're an asshole, the moment that headache/results meter starts tilting too negatively your ass is out no matter what your previous accomplishments are.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I still think he's a great football mind, but these young kids are fucking soft and his style of coaching don't work in this new soft league..

I'm not sure it's that. Even some of the younger players responded well to Belichick. Players that make it all the way to the NFL aren't soft.
These kids want to be coached, but they also want to be put into a position to win. That's something that Bill utterly failed to do since Brady left. By letting talent walk out the door, by drafting poorly, and by making some fucking awful coaching staff decisions.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
"Great minds" don't hire Matt Patricia to call plays. He's passed his prime as a head coach and it has nothing to do with "young kids" being "fucking soft"

Yeah, I agree here. He lost his quarterback, who could cover up for his blunders as a GM and lack of real talent overall on the offense, and as a result, he looked like a below-average coach. On top of that, he is an asshole to everyone below and above him, wants full control, and thinks he knows offense.

DeJean watch:

View: https://www.threads.net/@rapsheet/post/C53fYwexj8u

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Who are you beating for this time around?
McCarthy and Williams. I think Caleb might be the real deal and I think McCarthy might end up being a shocker given how little hype was around him at the start of all of this. Sam Hartman is my choice for surprise mid rounder that does something. I could see him being a Kirk Cousins kind of guy.

Also for what it's worth I think all 3 top receivers are going to be studs. Harrison Jr, Nabers, and Odunze all strike me as stars if they can stay healthy and not drive their cars at 150mph.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I am fully prepared to die on this hill. Boneless wings are easier to eat and there is literally no discernible difference in taste. People call them nuggets as if that can possibly be construed as a negative.
You're eating cut up chicken breast and calling it wings though. Say I don't like chicken wings and prefer chicken breast and then you would be right.

fade

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
McCarthy and Williams. I think Caleb might be the real deal and I think McCarthy might end up being a shocker given how little hype was around him at the start of all of this. Sam Hartman is my choice for surprise mid rounder that does something. I could see him being a Kirk Cousins kind of guy.

Also for what it's worth I think all 3 top receivers are going to be studs. Harrison Jr, Nabers, and Odunze all strike me as stars if they can stay healthy and not drive their cars at 150mph.

Sorry I should have prefaced other than Caleb as that seems to be the biggest consensus we've had in awhile. Really interested in the Mccarthy interest. As a commander fan there have been rumors that that's Peters real top guy, especially if he could engineer a trade down to acquire him and more picks from the depleted roster.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Sorry I should have prefaced other than Caleb as that seems to be the biggest consensus we've had in awhile. Really interested in the Mccarthy interest. As a commander fan there have been rumors that that's Peters real top guy, especially if he could engineer a trade down to acquire him and more picks from the depleted roster.
When the mock drafts First started to come out. A lot of them had Denver taking McCarthy and I was absolutely thrilled with that after looking into him a little bit more. But now everybody else has looked into him a little bit more and now suddenly he may not even make it out of the top five.

So now my Broncos are staring down the barrel of Penix, Spencer Rattler, or Sam Hartman it feels like. 😑

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017

• Eagles
Gonna laugh if it does go well for Nick because Bill might be locked out for awhile.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
i guess its a good way to find out if your team did well. if bill likes your selections, you probably messed up

Status
Not open for further replies.