• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

It is 17 year old game and still looks good. Reflections are bit overdone but still impressive look for an old game.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Other than car/human models, I still find Underground to look really nice today (without any mods either).

vlaar

Banned
Sep 23, 2018
Damn. Looks really good and just did a side by side comparison and was blown away.

Merkunt

Oct 25, 2017
Looks excellent, but what impresses me the most is how there's almost no pop-in in the tracks.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
It looks like one of those "let's make everything shiny because we can" graphic experiments that took place during the later part of the Xbox cycle, but without the care and thought of Wreckless.

I mean, it's a fan project. Can't hate it. It just doesn't look great.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Hmm ok I'll take your word for it, I'm not too knowledgable about the subject.. I just thought that if you don't have an RTX supported GPU you cannot use Raytracing but I guess I was wrong
Nvidia's RTX is basically a form of hardware RT accelerator. It helps RT calculations immensely but is not the only way to run RT.

You could in fact render a static image using RT on a 486 CPU for example. Would take forever but could do it.

Oct 27, 2017
After all this years this still looks more fun to play than the modern NFSs. But a strong case for raytracing this is not.

Also, was there always a McDonalds billboard in the game?

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Raytracing shader is a new SweetFX acid filters? /s
Dunno, without 60 fps and AA video looks very rough.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Really the issue here is they put an RT reflective shader into a road material that was made before PBR materials were a thing, so you're getting an overly reflective layer alongside a texture made the old-fashioned way, so there aren't any parts of the texture that have less reflection than others. The whole thing is like a weird mirror you're driving on.

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I remember wrong but I thought NFSU1 always had those fake reflections on the road. I can see the reflections on the taillights though.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The aliasing doesn't seem like much of a problem compared to the low frame rate, ghosting, and image noise.

So how does this work if the guy has a 1060 3gb, which doesn't even support Raytracing?
RTX is specific hardware built to speed up ray tracing. It's not required to use ray tracing.
The RT shader doesn't use RTX acceleration anyway.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I would not mind for most wanted remake, the good one I mean. With razor callahan

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Image quality is terrible, tried the other resolution options on YT and its still a artefact mess.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I wish reshade could do something like that right out of the box. I tried for another game but it was only good for screenshots because moving the camera around caused the reflections to act up

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm ok I'll take your word for it, I'm not too knowledgable about the subject.. I just thought that if you don't have an RTX supported GPU you cannot use Raytracing but I guess I was wrong

Nvidia marketing worked well, I see :)
They didn't invent RT, they're just the first to "kind of" offer a consumer level hardware solution for it.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Obviously not perfectly optimized, but kind of brings it forward a generation.
Looks bad. Like in a "early 360 era, 'everything is reflective'" kinda way
NFSU was always aggressively bloomy and shiny. Invented wet roads. But yeah, this basically turns it into the 360 version of that by flipping those settings to Ultra. PS2 game+PS5 tech=PS3 graphics.

Xam3l

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
That's a lot more wet roads than I remember. Nice exercice I guess. It really made me nostalgic for a simpler NFS.

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
I wonder if next gen consoles, playing backwards compatible games, will be able to add in effects like ray tracing.
I know they'll upscale... and possibly increase frames per second, but I wonder what else they'll achieve.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
It looks like NFSU just with more AO. I think the RT reflections meshing with the already existing car reflections isn't really doing this any favors, but it does at least look better than the original so there's that.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
No it does not and the frame rate is awful.
I don't think reshade is a good advocat of this technology.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if next gen consoles, playing backwards compatible games, will be able to add in effects like ray tracing.
I know they'll upscale... and possibly increase frames per second, but I wonder what else they'll achieve.

BC with an XBX/PS5 patch they could totally add in RT effects.
With a decent patch you could effectively remaster a game...in my books thats a good thing, for devs not so much because the games will be discounted as fuck by then, but selling a PS5/XBX remaster you could charge whatever you want.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks pretty neat, will check it out. I still have my Underground DVD (or was it a CD, even?) around.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously not perfectly optimized, but kind of brings it forward a generation.

NFSU was always aggressively bloomy and shiny. Invented wet roads. But yeah, this basically turns it into the 360 version of that by flipping those settings to Ultra. PS2 game+PS5 tech=PS3 graphics.
Nah, I wouldn't even call it that, since Most Wanted 360 was that. This just looks garbo. I don't think I've seen a game with injected SSRT that looks good, but given all these games lack proper materials to leverage RT, it's not surprising

ivan.k

Banned
Dec 30, 2017
Moscow
Why does every modder thinks that making asphalt wet and adding unrealistic reflections is somehow improving graphics?

Garbage

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
Why does every modder thinks that making asphalt wet and adding unrealistic reflections is somehow improving graphics?

Garbage

Most of that is already in NFSU by standard...

maxresdefault.jpg

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I wouldn't even call it that, since Most Wanted 360 was that. This just looks garbo. I don't think I've seen a game with injected SSRT that looks good, but given all these games lack proper materials to leverage RT, it's not surprising
Most Wanted was less about looking flashy and more about piss filter and bloom. It looks awful.
They temporarily disabled the piss filter to emphasize things like cops arriving, so you can see what a pissless Most Wanted looks like.

After actually comparing to old NFSU, my problem with how this looks would be that the lighting is significantly subdued and less stylistic. It just looks darker, less dynamic, more boring. Technically improved, artistically worse. I too would prefer playing it without this applied.

youtu.be

Need for Speed Underground [FULL GAME]

Original version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1ERGmEfyg0 Every race in Need for Speed: Underground, utilizing every vehicle the very moment it's unlocke...
youtu.be

šŸ”„ NFSU1 - Redux , but with RT Shaders šŸ”„

U1 DE is here - https://youtu.be/xqsWiPbTy8c https://www.artstation.com/artwork/48PJLW

Last edited: