• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

And here's a thread from back in November filled with artists who've had their works stolen, mostly on said platform.

NFTs do not help most artists, and in fact it enables people who do not own your art to steal it and make money from it instead.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Is this not the point where someone starts prepping legal action against the platform? They're clearly not doing anything to stop their users committing copyright infringement.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Hopefully this shuts up those people using "It benefits the artists" argument for why NFT's are good. NFT's are like Who's Line is it Anyway. Everything is made up and the points don't matter.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this shuts up those people using "It benefits the artists" argument for why NFT's are good. NFT's are like Who's Line is it Anyway. Everything is made up and the points don't matter.
Unfortunately it doesn't. People on this very forum have argued about how much it helps artists then move the goalposts or go silent when shown proof, only to do it again another time.

Panquequera

Feb 8, 2021
Unfortunately it doesn't. People on this very forum have argued about how much it helps artists then move the goalposts or go silent when shown proof, only to do it again another time.

Not only that but I have seen someone argue on here that the reason why a lot of artists don't like NFTs is because they are jealous of the profit other artists are making with it lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope so-called NFT artists get "reap what you sown" by this and realizing that this isn't gonna to help their causes for their protection arts.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Yup can crypto bros shut the fuck up about NFTs helping artists now please

Gamesadict

Oct 25, 2017
Lol this was only the natural progression of this. I'd bet half or more of the stuff minted there is done without permission, and then imagine having to answer takedowns request for potentially over half of the content your site has minted.

This is how those pointless jpg NFT collections become so useful. They help populate the site with randomly generated shit and obfuscate the fact it is enabling the theft of innocent people's art.

Absolute libertarian dream right here.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
That's awful. Truly. I have taken some steps in protecting myself and my wife's photos by NFTing the ones the web. I'm not going to sit around and wait for this industry to self regulate. It's not. It's also not going anywhere so I will adapt.

Also other things like my company name and other assets/ideas that are important to me that I don't want some asshole to take. I will not be a victim of this bullshit.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
That's awful. Truly. I have taken some steps in protecting myself and my wife's photos by NFTing the ones the web. I'm not going to sit around and wait for this industry to self regulate. It's not. It's also not going anywhere so I will adapt.

Also other things like my company name and other assets/ideas that are important to me that I don't want some asshole to take. I will not be a victim of this bullshit.

I respect your response but ultimately isn't that what they want to do? Force you to pay to play by their rules? It's like those "reputation " sites that list you under a search of criminals that share your name and offer to correct it if you sign up for their identity protection plan.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
I respect your response but ultimately isn't that what they want to do? Force you to pay to play by their rules? It's like those "reputation " sites that list you under a search of criminals that share your name and offer to correct it if you sign up for their identity protection plan.

There's nothing preventing somebody just copying whatever picture and make a new NFT either. And if they do it on opensea then you'll now need to DMCA and doxx yourself to get it removed.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017

Sorry to burst your bubble but minting your own nfts doesn't really protect you at all. Another nft company could copy your photos. Also the nft is not the actual photo your just making your photos stealable by everyone on the internet.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
These fucking platforms have a very direct interest in doing so : it's a great way to force artists to jump on that scam and legitimize it before someone cashes their check in before them.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
But... but... NFTs protect artists and their work. That's what crypto bros said to me. Are you telling me they lied? *gasp*

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Look if artists don't want their art stolen by pioneers of the new age of commerce and technology and culture maybe they shouldn't make art

NFTs are creating a new culture where art can be revenue without needing to make art or be an artist. Finally you can profit off someone else's work instead of making your own. This has never been possible before.

Get with the program luddites

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure someone is building bots that are just taking and submitting images from online galleries and whatnot.
Evidently DeviantArt's Protect shield thingy has been going crazy finding stolen assets specifically in OpenSea.

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
Look if artists don't want their art stolen by pioneers of the new age of commerce and technology and culture maybe they shouldn't make art

NFTs are creating a new culture where art can be revenue without needing to make art or be an artist. Finally you can profit off someone else's work instead of making your own. This has never been possible before.

I'm dying this is absolutely too real.

But don't worry, all the environmental stuff will be fixed once a new consensus mechanism is implemented! Should be any day now...

Yup, any day now...

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
I forgot to insert reinvention or revolutionizing
Disruption of the market is another term you could also use.

NFTs are revolutionizing how artists connect to buyers through community interaction. We like to call that interaction... "stealing."
Now, instead of waiting for the impossible odds that Christie's or Sotheby's torpedo your career through rapid financial speculation that devalues all of your work, now you can have your career torpedoed by not even doing anything at all—our users will see to it! We are dedicated to disrupting the art market through NFTs. By reproducing the same interaction that values and devalues cultural works in the real world, but without any kind of hesitation or regulation at all, we hope to escape in 1-3 years with our money, just before the speculative bubble crashes.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Disruption of the market is another term you could also use.

NFTs are disrupting the creative market by reinventing the very concept of artist and creator, by decoupling profiting from creating NFTs allow you the average joe to generate profit without having the required creative and talent privilege that has for so long allowed profits to be hoarded by creators. NFTs are in many ways a of revolutionizing the fight between the proletariat and the bourgeois artist, art is for everyone. Grab your slice of pie, don't let artists hide behind their creations, act now, you deserve to earn.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017

If artists don't like that OpenSea no longer provides channels for claiming their art, all they need to do is put together their own NFT sales platform that does! That's the beauty of the blockchain baby, anyone can use it so if you're unhappy about anything you're just making an excuse for not doing it yourself

Ominym

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty amazing that NFTs are supposedly founded on this concept of ownership yet the platforms themselves can't even agree on who the original owner is.

There is no defense for this grift.

Oct 25, 2017
So a class action lawsuit is only a matter of time, right? I bet lawyers would love to have this case with how much money is on the line.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
People in that twitter thread straight up defending theft, blaming the victims, while trying to get people to buy into the shit that's driving the theft at the same time and don't even see how fucking illogical that position is.

Sadsic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I run an NFT Marketplace, and we have actual moderators checking over KYC materials to make sure we have no stolen work on our marketplace, honestly most of the big NFT Marketplaces currently are pretty shitty in like 10 different ways

There actually is fraud protection technology being incorporated into the next generation of NFTs though (like digital watermarking)

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017

That can be argued. Yes. However, I don't see it that way. I am protecting my shit. Yes it costs me money but it was very little in the grand scheme of things. I spend more on comics in a month.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know why people deny that NFTs are great at empowering artists. Artists of a certain level of confidence, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.