Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017

The last couple years are a concern but he can play on the right side and is a better option than any remaining UFA. Getting him for only a 3rd is a steal.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
And all the sudden the "fire benning" crowd just went whisper quiet. Who would've thought overreacting on day one of free agency wasnt the right thing to do, hmm?

This fill the huge whole left in the D, with a d-man who I consider to be better than Tanev. They took advantage of Vegas and their cap situation big time with that trade.

The only thing that can get worrying is the term, and even then, this basically replaces Edler's contract that is off the books next year. Good move.

Oct 25, 2017
And all the sudden the "fire benning" crowd just went whisper quiet. Who would've thought overreacting on day one of free agency wasnt the right thing to do, hmm?

This fill the huge whole left in the D, with a d-man who I consider to be better than Tanev. They took advantage of Vegas and their cap situation big time with that trade.

The only thing that can get worrying is the term, and even then, this basically replaces Edler's contract that is off the books next year. Good move.
Oh sorry buddy I didn't know we were required to repeat it every 24 hours for it to remain true!

FIRE
BENNING

Gotta love how the "Lick Benning's Boots" crowd celebrate the odd positive move he makes for this franchise as if it somehow reverses the still terrible ones.

- Markstrom, Tanev and Stecher still lost for nothing?
- 2nd and Madden still lost for a Toffoli rental for a team that didn't have a chance at the Cup? Toffoli then re-signs at good value with another team where the Canucks couldn't afford to match because...
- Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Myers et al still on the payroll?
- Pettersson and Horvat still have one truly worthy forward on their wings to swap between them?

And however you want to break things down, whether you want to fellate Benning specifically for Petey/Hughes despite everything else, this remains a team that does not look particularly good going in to the final ELC years for two players about to receive massive raises.

And you said it yourself: "the term". To hand wave that problem because some other contract comes off the books is sort of hilarious but expected from someone who somehow still trusts Benning.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to assume that Winnipeg was on Schmidt's 10 team NMC but Vancouver wasn't ;|

Ah well, Weegar is still out there I guess!

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Oh sorry buddy I didn't know we were required to repeat it every 24 hours for it to remain true!

FIRE
BENNING

Gotta love how the "Lick Benning's Boots" crowd celebrate the odd positive move he makes for this franchise as if it somehow reverses the still terrible ones.

- Markstrom, Tanev and Stecher still lost for nothing?
- 2nd and Madden still lost for a Toffoli rental for a team that didn't have a chance at the Cup? Toffoli then re-signs at good value with another team where the Canucks couldn't afford to match because...
- Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Myers et al still on the payroll?
- Pettersson and Horvat still have one truly worthy forward on their wings to swap between them?

And however you want to break things down, whether you want to fellate Benning specifically for Petey/Hughes despite everything else, this remains a team that does not look particularly good going in to the final ELC years for two players about to receive massive raises.

And you said it yourself: "the term". To hand wave that problem because some other contract comes off the books is sort of hilarious but expected from someone who somehow still trusts Benning.
I dont trust Benning, plently of bad free agent signings means he's an average GM in my eyes, at best.

But the fire Benning crowd takes it way too far. Scream at him for signing free agents for too much money (warranted, I agree 100%), then scream this off season where he's much more stingier with long term bloated contracts, and is now some how "disrespecting" Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli and Stetcher. A lot of fanbase goes apeshit either way and you can't win.

People wanting to Benning to match Calgary offer of 6x6.... need I remind you what went down with the last player that we signed 6x6?

Our offense is fine without Toffoli, they were doing fine before he arrived, and won the St. Louis series completely without him. And Tanev is really risky to sign for 4 years due to injuries. Pretty much routinely misses a third of the season (except this year)

Not locking up Stetcher does not make sense to me, I admit.

One "truly worthy" forward? what are you even on about there.

Not every trade will go a single team's way. Not every trade will become J.T Miller, and it's inevitable one will go sideways from time to time. But no, lets fire benning/s

Oct 25, 2017
I dont trust Benning, plently of bad free agent signings means he's an average GM in my eyes, at best.

But the fire Benning crowd takes it way too far. Scream at him for signing free agents for too much money (warranted, I agree 100%), then scream this off season where he's much more stingier with long term bloated contracts, and is now some how "disrespecting" Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli and Stetcher. A lot of fanbase goes apeshit either way and you can't win.

People wanting to Benning to match Calgary offer of 6x6.... need I remind you what went down with the last player that we signed 6x6?

Our offense is fine without Toffoli, they were doing fine before he arrived, and won the St. Louis series completely without him. And Tanev is really risky to sign for 4 years due to injuries. Pretty much routinely misses a third of the season (except this year)

Not locking up Stetcher does not make sense to me, I admit.

One "truly worthy" forward? what are you even on about there.

Not every trade will go a single team's way. Not every trade will become J.T Miller, and it's inevitable one will go sideways from time to time. But no, lets fire benning/s
Different people want Benning fired for different reasons, apparently. But don't conflate other people's silly reasons with entirely valid reasons for wanting him gone.

Some nuance:

- I'm glad they didn't give Markstrom 6x6, but also I was advocating for trading him ages ago. To lose him for nothing is poor asset management and another consequence of Benning trying to make the playoffs and win a round or two to save his job, rather than trying to adhere to a sustainable, long term strategy
- With Stecher, this one's a bit depressing. Benning told him to hold tight, as if to ignore other time-sensitive offers, until they had a decision on Barrie. Then they lost both of them. Oops. Stecher is a local boy who wanted to stay and they tried to take advantage of that
- I'm fine with not re-signing Tanev. I wish Benning had traded him years ago when his value was highest and Canucks were rebuilding/retooling
- "Our offense is fine without Toffoli" - if by "fine" you mean good but unsustainable at 5vs5 yet good enough to pass a struggling St Louis.... sure. Agreed

As for "truly worthy", I'm talking about legit top 6 wingers. ie, "on their wings". JT Miller is literally the only one who belongs in the top 6 relative to the rest of the league. Boeser and Pearson are the only ones you'd dispute, I'd guess, but their performance sits them more comfortably on the third line. Pearson is on the edge, though, whereas Boeser really depends on Pettersson and favourable oz starts. He's not good at creating offense. Not anymore. He's improved his defensive game, but I'm still waiting for him to rediscover his offensive touch.

So, you agree that Benning is "average, at best", but you wring hands about people wanting him fired? Why? Is it more that you're just upset from arguing with stupid people online? If you agree there are better GMs out there... don't we deserve one of them? 🤔

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How did I miss that Toffoli took a pay cut? That is pretty unusual at 28 years old. I guess that's a flat cap world.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
TSN reporting (sensationalizing?) that extension talks between the Habs and Gallagher have broken down and his future in Montreal might be in question.

Personally, I'm good with that. He's not worth the salary he is going to command.

Thanquol

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 4, 2020
In:
Tofoli, Edmunstun, Anderson, Allen

out:

Domi

I dont like bargainbin but Im quite impressed with his offeason moves thus far. Time will tell though...

Oct 25, 2017
Leafs goalie situation is looking good, we got Dell guys
the-dell-dude.jpg

OP
OP
CreeperBlocks

CreeperBlocks

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
TSN reporting (sensationalizing?) that extension talks between the Habs and Gallagher have broken down and his future in Montreal might be in question.

Personally, I'm good with that. He's not worth the salary he is going to command.

As I said elsewhere, I think this is just Agent talk to rile up fans. we'll probably come back to it when the next season is done.

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
WE ARE BACK BABY. 1 WEEK OF POSITIVE NEWS IS TOO MUCH!!! BACK TO FUCKERY

Gotta get that extra money for Murray from somewhere.

Habs extend Allen (albeit at a reduced rate).....da fuq
I'm okay with that. 2 years as a backup to really give Primeau a chance to grow his game. Plus this allows Price to know who his back up is, rather than the revolving door he's been used to.

As for the Gallagher talks, tbh as much as I love the guy and could see him as the next captain, I get the feeling his price point will be a little too high.

Oct 25, 2017

Gallagher is a good illustration of how the Habs can look good stats wise but still lose. Putting the puck in the net is important. Toffoli should help

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
Over the last three seasons, Gallagher is 6th in shots and 96th in points. But he's also a great guy.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
DADDDYYYYNOVVVVV

Holy shit outta nowhere, an actual good player signing here for a decent contract. I haven't seen that since MYYYY LIEEEEGGGEEE signing.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Salary cap is so critical now. Got space got power. Got cap concerns and you have to give away talent.