Status
Not open for further replies.

Bio Booster Armoire

Prophet of Truth
Apr 21, 2020
It's funny that just as we finally get some good tending, and our bottom 6 starts generating some heat, our top guys drop off the face of the earth. Nucks were just grinding all game and absolutely deserved the win.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
There's actually a 30/30 documentary about the riots that will air in June. It's kind of fucked up that they've timed it right around Round 3/4 and the Canucks might very well advance to Round 3 (🤞). Should only add to media distractions around the team. Neat. But ESPN will be able to maximize attention and up the view count.

I'd say the 2011 riot was for sure, in part, a product of the 1994 riot. It likely wouldn't have happened without the seed already being planted in many people's minds. The idea that this was some spontaneous and emotional reaction to a SCF Game 7 loss is naive. The riot owes a lot to opportunism from two groups: people that don't feel that the wealthy city of Vancouver is their city, so why not go downtown with balaclavas and makeshift weapons and start some shit. And opportunism from people that saw shit going down and drunk or sober just wanted to be a part of it. I was there. There was a thrill to it, witnessing the chaos of it all. Like 98% of people I was passing through and watching, but also was careful not to get caught up in it. The people that joined in were having *fun* and I think there's a sense with mob mentalities that there is some freedom and lack of consequence when a group is doing something illegal together.

A conference finals loss will not result in a riot. If they're lucky enough to reach the SCF, and particularly a game 7 again, I think win or lose there will absolutely be coordinated attempts to get a riot going. If not this year then whenever the opportunity arises. Grab a group of friends, throw some masks in your pocket, throw on Canucks shirts (or don't even bother), maybe some stuff for a molotov cocktail and jump on the skytrain. The biggest difference will be that the city and police will be extremely prepared.
I think this is a levelheaded and realistic take on it. Thanks for posting.

Kumquat

Jan 23, 2018
Despite what all the analysts expected , Edmonton losing to Vancouver every time they met up all year had me expecting a near shut out in vancouvers favor so the series being 3-2 is better than that I suppose.

I kind of expect a game 7 at this point and I'm not feeling great about Edmontons chances unless they decide to actually play 60 minutes of hockey.
The fact that the Stars lost all of their regular season games to VGK scared the hell out of me and then dropping the first two games at home was just... yeah, but we made it in seven games. Time to close out the Avs with the best road team in the NHL

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny that just as we finally get some good tending, and our bottom 6 starts generating some heat, our top guys drop off the face of the earth. Nucks were just grinding all game and absolutely deserved the win.
Yeah Oilers aren't winning this series with this effort level. They can't even put out 1 solid performance. I don't expect them to win 2 in a row with the effort level and decision making I'm seeing. I always hope for a cup but this team doesn't have it. Bunch of wet noodles gettin outworked by the canucks. I'd kill for a Miller clone on the team right now. He gets it.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that the Stars lost all of their regular season games to VGK scared the hell out of me and then dropping the first two games at home was just... yeah, but we made it in seven games. Time to close out the Avs with the best road team in the NHL
As a Vegas fan I must say I was apparently grossly overconfident lol.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017

Miller and our big D are also doing a damn good job on McDavid. He's not getting the space he wants. Miller is on him constantly.

Honestly, Miller is playing Selke levels this round in my opinion.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I love Canadian NHL fans because they refuse to ever feel good about their teams in the playoffs.

US fanbases will be like "We got this!" / "We can come back!" / "I feel like this could be our year, hell yeah!"

Canadian fanbases are all "Yes we're up 3-0 in the series but obviously we're going to collapse now or at best in the next round. Also our coach is terrible and also our players are terrible."

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017

McDavid's ice time this series:
24 minutes

It could be fatigue starting to set in.

The Oilers can still win this series but they don't look as complete as the other remaining teams.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
I love Canadian NHL fans because they refuse to ever feel good about their teams in the playoffs.

US fanbases will be like "We got this!" / "We can come back!" / "I feel like this could be our year, hell yeah!"

Canadian fanbases are all "Yes we're up 3-0 in the series but obviously we're going to collapse now or at best in the next round. Also our coach is terrible and also our players are terrible."

Well three things to this.

1) Over 30 years since a Canadian team has won. Among that is a lot of game 7s. That's a lot of emotional baggage.

2) There's also the reverse jinx methodology of fandom.

3) There's a feeling / conspiracy theories among some fans that the ice is slightly slanted because the nhl can't expand the Canadian markets and the US markets is only place for NHL to grow viewership/fans, so does that influence anything? And things like Colin Campbell taking forever to recuse himself in 2011 doesn't help keep the conspiracy theorists quiet.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017

Except for Leafs fans who are still gonna "This is our year!"

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017

To be fair, the optimistic fans were out partying and not posting on message boards. To be young and naive again... :)

View: https://twitter.com/Hughes4Norris/status/1791358545864413504

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
You're a VGK fan. You've never known anything but unbridled success.
There was a distinct lack of success in my hockey fandom prior to the existence of the franchise I jumped to being gifted success on a silver platter.

More success than a sharks fan has tasted, I'll grant you that. I'll take a couple good seasons of watching Henrik, Daniel and Burrows bury pucks over anything the Sharks have ever put on the ice.

Heretic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Cane's were the team I didn't want winning. Now that they're eliminated, I have an emotional attachment to every remaining team except the Canucks. I want my Canucks Bros to celebrate though. Except one.

ultra7k

Oct 27, 2017
Well I haven't been back to Vancouver in awhile but we used to have standards. Only riots and burning during the Cup Final

You forgot Guns N' Roses concerts and/or race riots if you want to go back far enough.

Some observations from game 5 and the series:
  1. McDrai looks gassed, did they spend too much climbing out of their hole (which was insane, btw) early in the season to claw back? That being said, Draisaitl gives me fits everytime he has the puck lol. What a beast.
  2. Pickard looked solid, would have been 7-2 without him in net. Do the Oilers go back to Skinner for game 6? Is he your ride or die guy? Why isn't Stetcher playing? He'd be an upgrade over Ceci since he can actually retrieve and move the puck...
  3. Petterson has finally come alive. That GWG doesn't happen without his mid-air entry tip to Lindholm, and it going off his foot, which is admittedly lucky. He looked a lot more solid this game than he has all playoffs. Looked much more dialed in, but still miles away from his potential. I seriously wonder if he has a groin injury, as he isn't able to push off with any force, and he isn't able to lean into his shots like he does.
  4. Allvin needs to re-sign Lindholm and Zadorov. Maybe target Tanev/Pesce if he hits UFA and move on from Hronek. Get Petterson an actual winger that can make plays with him.
  5. Conversely, what do you do in Edmonton? Most of the bottom 6 will be UFA this year, Bouchard will need to be paid - will he get more than Nurse? What do you do with Nurse's contract, and Campbell as well?
  6. Statistically, the whistles tend to get put away the longer the series goes on.
  7. 78% of the time, the team that wins game 5 advances to the next round.
  8. Canucks are 3-0 in the WCF. Of course they are also 0-3 in the Finals as well...
  9. I'm hoping for a '94 rematch.

Oct 25, 2017

I feel like that's a generous read of American fans lol. They are often just the same as Canadian fans and when they're not it's often just pure arrogance and trolling. And I know you're generalizing to make a point but I don't think the divide is so great.

Especially since there's also a significant online/in-person divide, like Net mentioned. There's so much joy and excitement with my family and friends right now. Whereas online you're more likely to find the Canadian NHL fans who, on average, are more invested in their team and are more vulnerable to really feeling a loss, and particularly when eliminated. So they're protecting themselves and hesitant to get their hopes up. Everything is also DOCUMENTED online and people (👀) can be quick to bury your nose in it if it goes the other way, especially when we're surrounded by fans of other teams and not just in a living room/pub/watch party generally surrounded by your own ilk.

I'm somewhere in between. Like the Canucks were down 4-1 in game 1 and I genuinely believed they could come back but I also wasn't online saying JUST YOU WATCH, WE GOT THIS because hockey is fucking chaos and we really don't know what's going to happen so that would sound stupid. The incessant platitudes do nothing for me and are usually the domain of bandwagon/new fans in my experience. But I also love them for it. We need them around to soften the experience.

Oct 25, 2017
and it going off his foot, which is admittedly lucky.
It actually goes off Bouchard's skate. Pettersson tried to hit it and instead pushed Bouchard's skate which then hits the puck off the post. Absolute luck but knowing when to throw a puck on net to cause the most trouble is also a skill, so credit to Lindholm.

Allvin needs to re-sign Lindholm and Zadorov. Maybe target Tanev/Pesce if he hits UFA and move on from Hronek.
I've been seeing more and more of this sentiment. Hronek has cooled off but he's really good and a good match with Hughes so if they can keep the AAV down, not swayed by his assists from the 1st half of the season, then they should bring him back.

Zads and Lindholm I dunno. Wait to see what they're asking for. It's not just about the players, right, it's about how much they're willing to go to the open market to get paid. Hard to negotiate with guys like that. Zadorov I think will be cheaper so I think he'll be the easier signing.

But also no post mortem yet please

Oct 28, 2017
I guess Berube is the best coach available. It's such a gamble because Matthews/Nylander are hitting their primes you can't go wrong. I've been trying to get a read on him (barely seen St Louis Blues games) in terms of tactical deployments. Sure, we've all seen his public image as a tough guy head coach but we've had that with Babcock and Keefe. I'm skeptical but with the right staff maybe it'll work.

At least we'll have fun when the broadcast shows old Leaf highlights of Berube:

0000483056.jpg

He's probably going to get soft cancelled by the Toronto media for his "monkey" comment at some point:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpiyfa0daDE

Guaranteed going to be a 24 hour story on a slow news day.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Matthews/Nylander are hitting their primes
Nylander just turned 28 and Matthews turns 27 this year. That ain't hitting your prime, that's either at the peak or on the beginning of the downside depending on how their games age. Both are obviously elite players, but it's not like they are 23 and 22 anymore with seemingly endless seasons ahead of them.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
They knew Berube was the hotness right now in the coaching realm and they acted fast. Credit to them because all I have heard about Brad Treliving is that he takes his time with everything so I was worried they would take too long and lose him.

Berube is the type of coach this team needs. People say they already had a hard ass in Babcock but Babcock was not just a hard ass he was a weirdo and insidious. I really like this hiring. Berube played 1000 games as an enforcer btw just insane.

Oct 25, 2017
He's probably going to get soft cancelled by the Toronto media for his "monkey" comment at some point:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpiyfa0daDE

Guaranteed going to be a 24 hour story on a slow news day.

Why "soft cancelled" (oof) and the disdain? Wouldn't it be a good thing to have it covered?

There was also this

View: https://x.com/Shapalicious/status/1528780757786710016

And just because he looks way too fucking happy here:

w640xh480_GettyImages-1176049344.jpg

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Not personally a Berube fan. I don't think his success in STL is likely to be replicated in a bigger market with bigger stars.

Plus I do remember his Kadri cowardice and it still pisses me off.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
Long weekend and im out of town visiting some friends and family testing out my new headgear.

No hockey tonight for me, but I'm on a drug vacation so I'll have a couple beeers tonight and be sending positive energy for the B's and the Avs! Let's get some game 7s!

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Avs fan here. I did not think the Avs could take the Jets. Told my friends I thought they'd be out. Once they did what they did there, I said they'd beat the Stars with relative ease. So, if anyone wants to know how the Avs will do, just ask me and flip it. :-P

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
The Bruins have had a ton of chances and gave up a very bad goal there
They've been abysmal at home in the post-season the past two years. This was always going to be the most difficult stage of the 3-1 series deficit to clear. Swayman's going to need to continue to stand on his head to bail Boston out here. The number of bench penalties and too many men on the ice infractions they've had is outright inexcusable and reeks of poor coaching.

Even in the unlikely 5% chance of Boston somehow winning these next two games, the Panthers have handily outplayed them by a wide margin and the Bruins won't have a prayer of getting past a team as capable as the Rangers without a serious uptick in all-around effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.