• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Renmyra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
6XcLdkN.png

The game doesn't kid around with the upgrades.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
What pains me the most is that it seems that everytime people whin about a turned based combat system we end up with some sort of super accesible action rpg with no sense of accomplishment.

The first game's wasn't perfect but it was unique and they could have build upon that for something truly great.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I've just beaten 2 bosses in chapter 5 about 7/8 levels higher than I without breaking a sweat in the middle of a mandatory boring fetch-quest with the plot screeching to a halt and I'm also 99.9% sure there has not been a single cutscene or even a spoken line of dialogue so far in this entire chapter.

Oh man. And I was solely worried about the kingdom building being underdeveloped or boring lol.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
So, who do I believe? Critics (~90 metascore), or the folks here? Like 8 out of 10 people here seem to really really hate this game.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
To anyone just 1-2 hours in, when you are in the dessert area and first found this rotating plant, after you got the magic to do something with it 5 minutes later, go back to this point, go up and fight against the enemies, then tell me again how easy that was.

At least they (level 21), are crushing me on level 9, no chance.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This game is turning into the Little King's Story sequel I have always wanted. Considering LKS is one of my top five games of all time, that bodes well for NNK2.

Oct 25, 2017
So, who do I believe? Critics (~90 metascore), or the folks here? Like 8 out of 10 people here seem to really really hate this game.

You can certainly try out the game yourself and see where you fall. But most folks here bought the game day 1 and are playing it. This OT is one of the most negative for a new release, and there's a reason for that.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
To anyone just 1-2 hours in, when you are in the dessert area and first found this rotating plant, after you got the magic to do something with it 5 minutes later, go back to this point, go up and fight against the enemies, then tell me again how easy that was.

That's where I started out and grinding way earlier than I should have. Couldn't take on the porcs, but I could handle some of the smaller enemies over time.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona

But that's basic JRPG combat, level and equipment matters more than skill or tactics.
The problem here is that the combats you will find during the story, bosses included, are far too easy to be fun.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this is just another P5 where people massively overblow a game's faults but this thread has me worried now...

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
In recent years I've become drawn to JRPGs more and more (XC2 being the latest), and I kinda fancy this but I'm concerned to see such a mixed response so close to launch.

A more action-orientated combat system is a big plus for me, but opinions surrounding the story and characters etc. make me nervous.

Is there anyone here who loved XC2 (like me), and are digging this too?

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this is just another P5 where people massively overblow a game's faults but this thread has me worried now...

This is exactly what came to mind for me. Some people saying this OT is the most negative they've seen on ERA are conveniently forgetting the backlash to P5. I love that game but there was a strong contingent here claiming it was a slog. It really is worth checking out some trusted reviews and doing a gut check in addition to ERA impressions (which can prioritize way different things more heavily).

rucury

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
can't get over how amazing this game looks. the Japanese VO is great. I only finished chapter 1 so I can't speak to the game's difficulty, but I did have a hard time beating those mouse captains you first encounter while escaping the castle (tbf I don't think you're supposed to fight them...) I hope there are some other challenges similar to that, but I also wouldn't mind the game being easy if its as short as some say it is

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying myself. The game oozes charm for me, and damn is it gorgeous. The combat is definitely way too easy, I don't have a chance to engage with the combat mechanics before the fights are over. That'd be my only big complaint so far (just started chapter 3). I do hope they patch in some sort of difficulty option.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Is there anyone here who loved XC2 (like me), and are digging this too?
I loved XC2, and Ni no Kuni 2 seems exactly a game with the opposite values to me.
While XC2 had poor IQ and some awful character design, NNK2 has good IQ and designs but big changes between graphical style during some sections.
While XC2 combat was deep and well thought, NNK2 is easy and simple, and it doesn't feel like a good action game, it feels limited and cluncky at times.
The OST from XC2 was a wonder, but the first 5 hours of NNK2 only have the main theme from the first game and some boring tunes.
And about the story, XC2 has anime tropes and some stupid moments, but from the beginning I was absorted in the world , characters and epic moments. NNK2 story feels simplistic and childish, with no impact and with big inconsistent moments (5 hours into the game).

I feel like NNK2 is a charming game, and the artstyle is more appealing, but the first 5 hours feel really worse than the first 5 hours of XC2.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Man, the framepacing problems in 4K mode are not only on the world map, every time you have much stuff in the background, like very often in the dessert, it jumps around like crazy to hold the 60fps.

That is a big technical critique about the game and I hope they patch this. :/

Oct 25, 2017

I just did that encounter at level 11. A decent challenge but nothing too tough. Too bad there's not more enemies double my level roaming around.

I loved P5. This game, not so much...

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Those of you complaining about the (easy) difficulty, are you grinding at all? When I played through the game for review I kinda flew through the first couple of chapters, but noticed I was getting severely underleveled as I went through the game, which made the game actually really challenging and I had to go back to Evermore to restock on healing items, and invest in healing magic and better Higgledies to keep up with the difficulty. I never grinded during my playthrough (I did beat all the enemies in dungeons on my path, but I never stuck around to grind them for exp) and had the exp modifier on in the Tactics Tweakers for the enterity of the game. Also did a lot of side quests. By the time I got the last party member I was almost 15 levels below the enemies in the main story, and it was pretty rough getting out of those dungeons without dying. I was like 20 levels below the final boss, and I think I went through all my healing items in that fight.

So if you want a challenge later in the game, don't grind (by that I mean run around actively searching for fights to level up), don't actively try to stay at the same level as the enemy because fights will be a breeze then. I don't know why they balanced the game this way, but to me the game never was too easy and felt just right by fighting enemies way above my level. And for the record I did not do that on purpose, I was actually scratching my head why I was so underleveled for these fights, but it worked out in the end /shrug.

No idea what was going on in your playthrough, but I haven't ginded on anything at all and I'm always at or above the enemy levels by 1-3, and I have the XP modifiers off. It's not about levels as much as it is gear anyway, and when you end up picking up random 190ish weapons before level 30, there's a problem. I can literally do a full screen wipe with one button press on trash.

I'm pumped for the kingdom management thing, I'll probably try to play until then.

There's no real "management". It all boils down to just paying X amount of Kingdom Currency to get your buildings built then run around doing extremely lame "quests" to get people to sit inside them (those most qualified, but they aren't mandatory). Early on the only real juggling is putting a few people in one building (to raise IQ) to get some research done. You end up hitting a block early on too because you need 25 workers before being able to upgrade your Kingdom to rank 2, which just means you need run around to previously visited areas (or just ignore it and continue with the main quest and pick up people that you happen to run in to on the way). I thought it was going to actually allow you to build a customized kingdom, but everything seems preplaced and you just pay to unlock it.

Aside from the few story required building segments, I can't see it being needed for anything at all. The post game content can't be hard enough that it can't be finished by needing anything other than found gear. If so, then it's like two different teams worked on the game, because the balance would be way out of whack.

Last edited:

Milk Lizard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TOBYHANNA, Pa

sharpforprez

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Because a lot of people here don't play JRPGs often, I'd reckon. Just on the hype wagon.

Sound defensive but this community and the site it originated from are notorious for having uninformed people misjudging games. They'll buy it because it's the latest hot thing but in truth it won't be for them. The game shouldn't suffer because people want to be wave riders.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because a lot of people here don't play JRPGs often, I'd reckon. Just on the hype wagon.

Sound defensive but this community and the site it originated from are notorious for having uninformed people misjudging games. They'll buy it because it's the latest hot thing but in truth it won't be for them. The game shouldn't suffer because people want to be wave riders.

This is just not true. I love the first game and have followed this game since its unveiling years ago and have wanted to like it just as much but there is so much wrong with it.

My JRPG creed is also not minuscule as well FWIW.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Because a lot of people here don't play JRPGs often, I'd reckon.
My complaints come from exactly the opposite reason, I play JRPG all the time, and the last "big" JRPG I've played (TitS the Third, Radian Historia,P5, XC2) felt a lot better to me than the first hours of NNK2.
Most of the complaints from people in this topic are legit to me, specially for people who plays lots of JRPG.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm treading lightly when judging the plot of chapters 1 and 2 after now experiencing chapter 3. Things slowed down and the plot became more intimate and similar to what I experienced in a ton of the jrpgs I played in the past. Chapters 1 and 2 really just feel like a "let's get this intro out of the way and start this game as soon as possible." Chapter 3 felt much better.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
About 3 hours into it now and I'm really enjoying it. Is it perfect? No. It has flaws but I don't find it to be nearly as bad as some people are making it out to be. Different strokes for different folks and all that I guess.

Ragona

Oct 26, 2017

I couldn't tell one general gaming forum that has more hype and praise for jrpgs than this one - In fact this forum made me play jrps like Xenoblade, Persona and Tales of Berseria.
Its also not like the criticism in this thread is baseless hate. There are objective flaws to the game. Granted, difficulty can be subjective in some shape or form, but when the whole item/stat management aspect of an RPG is meaningless for 80% of the game, it is obviously badly balanced.

Cranston

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I've been playing Jrpgs for about 25 years. This is a bad Jrpg.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
About difficulty around 12h in:
At around 10-11h I started to go up against monsters 8 levels higher than me, this is even after doing tons of side content. And it's actually a lot harder. I would even say I struggle in certain trash mob fights because I take tons of damage even with good gear. Due to this I am using everything available to me and the fights are tons of fun now. Before that I felt like the combat was fun but way too easy.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017

If only some of us hadn't been discussing JRPGs for the last decade...

Disagree with an opinion and structure an argument that presents a strong case for the alternate point of view by all means, that's what the board is here for, but to write off the critical opinions because they're uninformed in regards to the genre is absurd, and frankly just plain rude.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
People loved XB2 yet that game was easy as hell. Just spam light combos over and over and you win. At least this game offers a bit more nuance to the combat.

I love both games though. Easy combat doesn't have to be a negative.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been playing Jrpgs for about 25 years. This is a bad Jrpg.
That's still an opinion, just like mine is. I've been playing JRPGs for 25 years and I think I'd put it in the "good, not great" or "above average" category based on my time so far. It as things I really love about it and one thing (plot development) that I think is average.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
People loved XB2 yet that game was easy as hell. Just spam light combos over and over and you win. At least this game offers a bit more nuance to the combat.
I only played 5 hours of NNK2, and during the first 5 hours of XC2 the combat wasn't specially good to me, but I prefer the more tactic combat of XC2 than the "limited and cluncky real time combat" that NNK2 offers.
I really hope that the game improves the combat and enemy design, but I don't see the combat of NNK2 being nowhere near the one in XC2.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
I try to fight orange and red colored enemies. They offer a good amount of challenge. The white ones though, who are supposedly around your level, are way too freaking easy.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

I love both games though. Easy combat doesn't have to be a negative.

You mean spam triangle on single targets to kill them in 1-3 hits, or just hold R2 and use whatever AOE attack you have? I haven't played XC2 yet, but XC was mostly easy, yet it was a lot more engaging, and you actually had to cycle through teammates fairly regularly before the post game stuff. It also had group combos that were satisfying to use. Plus, even if you were just "spamming" the same attacks each fight, each teammate felt like they had a unique playstyle. In this? It feels like the same shit with every character so far (the four I currently have).