• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
The franchise was birthed with Ghibli, I just really don't understand what they are doing with the IP anymore. NNK2 was such a step back from 1 because of their absence, I cant help but think it would be the same for a NNK anime

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The franchise was birthed with Ghibli, I just really don't understand what they are doing with the IP anymore. NNK2 was such a step back from 1 because of their absence, I cant help but think it would be the same for a NNK anime
ghibli isn't exactly in the best place these days either

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Why can't Level-5 just make good games and have them be good games? Why does everything need to be a multimedia event?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
What happened? They were on a trajectory to being the next Squaresoft at one point.

51-WPWD20eL.jpg

Looks like they're still on that trajectory.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
PS3 and PS4 game sold like crap in Japan - why did they think anyone would wanna see a movie based on that IP ?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I don't know what will be Level 5 in the future, really. I am not even sure that they are bought because their IPs barely retain value.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I can see the re-release of NnK1 doing well on Switch but yeah I figure the franchise is done now, which is something of a shame, though I feel 2 already lost the magic the first had.

I like Level-5 but I think they work better in conjunction with other studios or individuals. Like, the setting and exploration of Yo-Kai Watch are fantastic, but the battles suck. They just need to push their strengths (art, graphics, visual storytelling) and partner with someone else. Bandai Namco seemed pretty hands-off with NnK, which was a problem.

And stop chasing the merchandise train because it's way too transparent.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
They tried to make a NNK movie without Ghibli involved? The success of the original game IMO is largely due to Ghibli's involvement. To go on and make a movie, based on a mildly successful videogame franchise (with only two entries), without the key element that made the original game as successful as it was... who could've guessed it would bomb.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Is the movie no good? Surely it can't tank such a promising young rpg series. Both games were fantastic imo and I await more.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
What happened? They were on a trajectory to being the next Squaresoft at one point.
Over dependance on HUGE multimedia franchise. Yokai watch started to bomb with 3, Fantasi Life never got up, they lost the Ghibli work relationship for Ni no Kuni even thought the first one was a huge carp, Inazuma Eleven has too many games and wasn't the Pokémon killer they wanted... I'm wondering if they will ever release Snack World. They have lost focus.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Videogame devs really need to stop making movies. Leave that to the film industry

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Bled their properties dry and have stumbled trying to their new stuff out the past three or so years. A lot of the kids who were into their stuff grew out of it as well. They were never going to be the next Square though.

PS3 and PS4 game sold like crap in Japan - why did they think anyone would wanna see a movie based on that IP ?
Makes about as much sense as everything else they're doing.

I don't know what will be Level 5 in the future, really. I am not even sure that they are bought because their IPs barely retain value.
Yeah, I don't really see the value in buying them with the current state of their properties.

OP
OP
DanarchyReigns
Oct 25, 2017
Over dependance on HUGE multimedia franchise. Yokai watch started to bomb with 3, Fantasi Life never got up, they lost the Ghibli work relationship for Ni no Kuni even thought the first one was a huge carp, Inazuma Eleven has too many games and wasn't the Pokémon killer they wanted... I'm wondering if they will ever release Snack World. They have lost focus.

Their panel at Anime Expo confirmed it is coming. No idea when the anime is coming but the game (Switch version) is out next year. Not that it would do much... it was clearly made to capitalize on Adventure Time but by the time it came out, Adventure Time was deep in seasonal rot. Now it's not even on the air.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I don't want to doomsay but this really isn't good. How can Level 5 turn themselves around?

Oct 25, 2017
They released snack world already, on 3DS and Switch. They were only moderate successes.

The big problem here was their early pivot investment into mobile, it essentially crippled their development training for any of their tried franchises that weren't Yokai Watch. Stagnation would become evident while they spent all their remaining energy trying to recourse with NNK2.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
They wanted to be Pokemon without the compelling IP to sustain such a multimedia franchise, and the franchises that did take off were run into the ground like Yokai Watch.

Sep 25, 2018

you giving Ghibli too much praise they not so hot lately either, nothing would of save the film.

people just want the next thing everything level 5 created had its time in history they need to move on from the names that use to bring them loads of money

what kills a company faster is trying over And over with same franchise hoping to get back on the money trail instead it depletes their money

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
They caught a break once, but then milked that till it died.
They've had multiple breaks. The DS era up to a few years ago was them finding hit after hit culminating with YW2 being a massive thing. It's just since then they've only gotten Snack World, Lady Layton, more YW, and NNK2 out.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Their panel at Anime Expo confirmed it is coming. No idea when the anime is coming but the game (Switch version) is out next year. Not that it would do much... it was clearly made to capitalize on Adventure Time but by the time it came out, Adventure Time was deep in seasonal rot. Now it's not even on the air.

Adventure Time? Did that show do well in Japan?