• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
That's some massive balls. I'll go this year if I can get tickets this time. Last year's sold out crazy fast.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Good. Can't wait to see how they screw up this time. I noped the hell out of Pokemon Go in less than a day, buggy mess. But I love what it accomplished.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What the heck is a "JonTron"?

I removed the picture but..think about it: just HOW did you expect me to know about that? When and where should I have heard about him?
I assumed because you post pictures of him you know about him. He's a popular youtuber and when it turned out he's a racist it blew up on forums. I'm not saying you had to know, I was just assuming you did. All good.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Go to a popular park on May 19 and see for yourself.

It still has 65 million monthly active players at least announcement.

I may not be what it was, but it's still big.

The game made nearly $900 million last year. It's definitely not at the level it once was, but you really can't expect something to be that big for that long.

I've actually been playing it a bit recently and I like a lot of the new features. I'm not really into raids though and I feel like the battle system isn't interesting enough, but it's not bad to pop it open every now and then to see what you can find.

I see... I guess it's a local issue then, since I haven't seen anyone play the game here since at least 2016. But to be fair, people here were never as into it as people in the US were (judging by various reports)

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
IGN has an interview with Niantic CEO John Hanke about what they learned from last year's event and how this year is going to be different. To summarize:
  • change of venue; Lincoln Park is a lot larger than Grant Park and there will be some kind of walking route intended to get people moving around the park; partially this is to spread network traffic across a larger geographical area
  • much closer coordination with cellular providers, based on lessons Niantic picked up from subsequent events in Japan and Europe
  • taking a cue from last year's semi-spontaneous post-event festivities and building in the possibility of expanding event spawns outside the Lincoln Park area, both as a spillover mechanism and just as part of the event/post-event stuff (last year, after the official event ended, Niantic turned on extra spawns and I think Lugia raids across the city, and people who seemed disappointed by the main event said the after-event stuff was a lot more fun)
Also, Go Fest 2018 is two days this year, and apparently you will not be allowed to buy a ticket for both days. Given the ticket integration from last year (which caused registration issues but also in theory restricted the event to ticketholders), this might actually be something Niantic can enforce to an extent. The idea is to give a lot more people a shot at getting a ticket this year; last year tickets sold out minutes after pre-registration opened.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
There is no way those towers can handle that traffic........ok, Tmobile by now is probably ready due to the fact they can allow more bandwidth per user compared to the other companies.....but holy shit, last year was a SHIT show. My buddy said it was one of the worst events he went to.

Hopefully they figured it out by now........but they have even more systems in play compared to last year. Lets see if it holds.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
Seems like about 4 people out of 15-20 in my local discord who tried to get them were able to get them. I lucked out, but they screwed up again this year. They said they were going to tie tickets to usernames, which is true. HOWEVER, you don't input that until two weeks later, meaning you could relatively easily resell your tickets. So it basically did nothing to stop scalping.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
IT will either be a respunding success due to how much planning they put it

Or somehow another complete failure. Damn it was painful to watch last time

Aktlys

Oct 27, 2017
Hope they don't talk with the network providers about the event this time either

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
Missed out on tickets even though my wife and i were both on the site the moment they went live. I just wanted to take my son.